Is Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal a Prodigy?

TheFormerSoul

As a fellow guitar player and fan of music I have listened to alot of different guitar players over the years. After getting into and following the new lineup of players in guns n roses, I checked out solo efforts from pretty much every member because well, they are fantastic musicians. Anyways...

I bought "Normal" a while back and a bit of other material from bumble's discography and quickly became a follower and fan. I was astounded not only by the sheer large amount of musical ground Ron could cover easily, but his ability in improvisation and technique. He can hear anything in his head and play it on the spot. Change key, no problem he can transpose it on the fly.

Every guitar player has signature licks that they lean on when they solo, you start to hear them the more you listen to different players. In ron's case, he is so inconsistent and out of the box that everything he plays is different all the time. He doesn't rely on patterns primarilly. Even when he was a teenager, he could do most of the stuff he can do now.

I think even without comparing him to other guitar players, he is so gifted and at a level nobody has surpassed or come close

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he is not

Do explain.

Do you really want me to go there, I dont want to make all the Ron lovers cry again.

Here is an example.

Any prodigy should be able to play a simple soulful KOHD solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bDJ61x-28

Ron cant even do that. There is a reason why Axl took it away from him and gave it to DJ.

Ron can play superfast sure, but he cannot play clean or melodic.

That is why he is not a prodigy.

What makes him a prodigy exactly?

Edited by gnr-dave

No he is not

Do explain.

Well its obvious isn't it. He isn't a original GN'R guitarist. :rolleyes:

Dave is such a tool.

You do know I consider BH better than Slash right??

I think the 2002 band is BETTER than the original band. Please get your facts straight.

But Slash IS BETTER than BBF and that has NOTHING to do with Slash being in the original band.

If Ron is such a prodigy tell me why no one heard of him before he joined guns or was rumored to be joining?

Most people HATED him when he was the rumored replacement for his joke of a cover for SCOM.

Most people knew who BH was before joining guns.

Edited by gnr-dave

There's no doubting his ability, but I don't think he's that special of a musician. To be honest I got bored of his albums after about a month, yet I can still listen to the Rolling Stones years later. Now, Bumblefoot and Keith Richards, who can play circles around who?

skill isn't everything, I'm not saying BBF sucks, I'm not saying he's a poor musician, but "prodigy" probably isn't the word either. You don't have to play a million notes a minute to make great music. Like somebody already said, if he were such a prodigy he would have made more of a name for himself outside of GNR. I know he got the attention of bedroom shredders across the world but there's a much larger more significant community of musicians out there that for the most part couldn't tell you who the hell the guy is.

Ron is more talented than Slash overall because of his singing and songwriting skills.

Normal is a great album.

We are just talking about guitar playing. Because if you want to go the overall route then Izzy is way more talented than Ron, because Izzy writes way better songs and can sing better.

Ron is more talented than Slash overall because of his singing and songwriting skills.

Normal is a great album.

We are just talking about guitar playing. Because if you want to go the overall route then Izzy is way more talented than Ron, because Izzy writes way better songs and can sing better.

And I agree.

Normal is a great album.

Be prepared to be told that because his albums haven't sold as much, his songwriting skills are inferior. Normal showed his ability to write in a shitload of styles from acoustic funk to eastern european stuff to pop-punk.

Normal is a great album.

For songwriting:

Izzy > Slash > Ron

For playing:

Ron > Slash > Izzy

No he is not

Do explain.

Dave is such a tool.

I think the 2002 band is BETTER than the original band. Please get your facts straight.

But Slash IS BETTER than BBF and that has NOTHING to do with Slash being in the original band.

If Ron is such a prodigy tell me why no one heard of him before he joined guns or was rumored to be joining?

Most people HATED him when he was the rumored replacement for his joke of a cover for SCOM.

Not only do you seem to not be a fan of ron, but you seem to absolutley HATE him for some reason.

Bucket is great, not the guitarist wizard that everyone makes him out to be though. Hes fast, and has good phrasing, tone. In MY opinion, bumble is far more talented overall.

Have you forgotten that Ron has only done his own music his entire life until 2006 in guns, he is his own producer and an independant artist. He never made any money doing it, he doesn't want to be famous either.

No he is not

Do explain.

Dave is such a tool.

Not only do you seem to not be a fan of ron, but you seem to absolutley HATE him for some reason.

Bucket is great, not the guitarist wizard that everyone makes him out to be though. Hes fast, and has good phrasing, tone. In MY opinion, bumble is far more talented overall.

Have you forgotten that Ron has only done his own music his entire life until 2006 in guns, he is his own producer and an independant artist. He never made any money doing it, he doesn't want to be famous either.

BH is way more talented than Ron. BHs album catalog speaks for itself. And yes Ron has been doing his own music his entire life and no one ever heard of him before being associated with guns.

As for me hating Ron? I admit, I dont like the guys playing, and your point is? Ron cannot play anything melodic, sure he can play fast and shred but that is all he can do. BH is much more diverse and can fast or soulfully, something Ron cant do. At least he has not in guns.

People HATE buckethead but that seems to be ok, but since I dislike Ron, that does not seem to be ok.

Funny how that works dont you think? The funny thing is, the people that tend to not like BH dont complain about his look and rarely ever about his guitar playing, because they know he is amazing.

Yet I on the other hand, dont like Rons playing and dont think he is a good fit for guns. BH is one of the best guitarists in music. Ron is not in BHs class not by a long shot.

Edited by gnr-dave

No he is not

Do explain.

Dave is such a tool.

Bucket is much more talented than Ron , Eletric Tears alone is better than all the Bumble albuns. :thumbsup:

If he was, he'd be famous for something other then Guns N Roses...he is not, there for he isn't.

What is the logic that being "famous" = prodigy?

I'm not saying if he is or isn't....but definition of prodigy is subjective, no?

Do you really want me to go there, I dont want to make all the Ron lovers cry again.

Sometimes you act really condesending.

Why is it you always become the center of attention in all bumblefoot threads? Because you cry so much about your dislike for Ron...

Buckethead didn't try to be Slash.

Bumblefoot doesn't try to be Slash, he even said so himself.

All guitarists have different styles, personality, ability and feel to their playing. Fans will always have their own opinions on who they like better, that's just the way it is and should be. But the way you are going on about this is just childish.

Can't you just accept some people's opinions, and not trash them. There's no definitive answer to these conflicts, your own observations will always feel right for yourself, isn't that what music's all about?

I respect your opinion, but not your way of expressing it.

Edited by spirit83