How do I sing like Axl?

I've been singing GNR in Kareoke bars for awhile now, and hitting Axl's notes with falsetto. It works sometimes, but there is more depth to Axl's voice than just falsetto. I sing DONT CRY mostly, and I try to hit the deep notes like he hit at the end of the 2nd verse of Dont Cry in Buenos Aires (before he starts singing over the guitar solo and fucks it up). How do I hit the real notes? Your thoughts or techniques? I hear a lot of his notes are hit with a diaphragm , but I don't even know what that is. Help me!! I have a kareoke party this Friday and I want to rip this shit for the people that are hosting me!

I can sing the GN'R songs very well actually, but I don't know if I can tell you how I do it, it's hard to explain.

Scraped and If The World are great to sign in falsetto, but I'm having problems with This I Love :rolleyes:

Edited by ManetsBR

It's hard to explain, but you need a sort of crunch/crackle to your vocals, to give it the raw rasp edge that Axl has. I achieve this by sort of putting a slight pressure on my throat when singing, but it takes a lot of practice and I'm nearly getting there! Also, adding vibrato to long notes and such is another trademark of Axl, just experiment till you understand how to control it.

Silverarrow is totally right, if you're gonna sing, you really have to go for it and don't be nervous.

Axl does not use falsetto these days from what I can tell.

That's all he uses nowdays buddy. His is just really well developed and he has a lot of power behind it.

His weakness is his mid-range because it's hard to judge when to switch between falsetto and his normal voice. That's why he absolutely hammers those extra-high screams but sometimes struggles with "easy" areas of some songs. ;)

Axl does not use falsetto these days from what I can tell.

That's all he uses nowdays buddy. His is just really well developed and he has a lot of power behind it.

His weakness is his mid-range because it's hard to judge when to switch between falsetto and his normal voice. That's why he absolutely hammers those extra-high screams but sometimes struggles with "easy" areas of some songs. ;)

Yep Axl uses falsetto, but he has one of the most (if not THE most) powerful falsettos in the business. He's always been a bit hit and miss as a live singer, and one can definately tell how much better he gets as tours go on. The practice really helps his voice in all areas, especially the mid-range between his low and his usual high vocals.

I have seen this cover band many times, this guy nails the Axl voice.....

Check it out.

PC

SCOM

:lol: . That's the overweight version of original GNR.

They are pretty good, I don't think the vocalist is that good though I watched some other videos and the singer is actually awesome... listen to WTTJ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9L28WWeVjw&feature=related

Edited by RocketKing99

The diaphragm is the muscle in your abdomen that can control your breathing. Basically, you should ALWAYS be breathing using your diaphragm. (but most adults don't) A good way to see the difference is to use a method people practice in relaxed breathing exercises (it's akin to a physical mediation, has a calming effect, people with panic attacks, for instance, learn this relaxed breathing.) Lay down on your back, put a book on your lower stomach, breath in using this lower part of your abdomen, if the book rises, you just took a breath using your diaphragm muscles, which pulled your air deeper into your lungs. You don't want to see your chest rise, this is a shallow breath that is not supported, and as such, not very controllable.

Interesting to note, when we are born, all babies breath this way, it only later in life we start breathing more in our chest using the top portion of our lungs. One thought is that it's due to stress. The end result of getting this skill back is that you will have more air and more control of that air. Next, you learn to let out the least amount of air needed to create your note. You want to aim for having all of your vocals the same volume, they don't need to get louder to get higher, this actually just strains your vocal chords.

Think of it this way, your vocal chords are a muscle, the more you work them out (responsibly with warm-ups etc) the stronger they get. Now visualize this, when you sing low notes your vocal chords are open further, higher notes the vocal chords create a smaller hole. What's this mean? It actually takes LESS air to hit a higher note (smaller hole, less air). The mistake many singer make when going for range is to push harder to hit the high notes...that doesn't help. You want to strengthen them over time and practice singing even your low notes at speaking level volume.

The reason this is so important for those that want large range is because when you go from chest voice (notes resonating in your chest), and remember this has nothing to do with breathing with the diaphragm, you should be doing that all the time to support your air flow, but when you go from where the notes are resonating in your chest to where they are resonating your your head (head-tone) you will hear a difference in the change unless your practice a LOT at making this a smooth transition through the proper use of breath control and even volume levels.

Axl uses head tone a lot, falsetto is different than pure head tone. This can get as technical as we want but at the end of the day you want to practice breathing with diaphragm all the time, even when you're not singing, it's a healthier more relaxed way to breath. Once you can do this without thinking about it anymore the muscle will build up, you'll have better breath control and be able to start using ONLY the amount of breath needed for each note to hit the same volume.

You need more volume because the band picks up, you don't blow your vocals, you move closer to the mike or further away as needed, mike technique has a lot to do with things. Now the rasp, yea....it's not the healthiest things to strain your throat in order to get rasp however, the best way is to do it while still making sure your throat is relaxed...TENSING YOUR VOCAL CHORDS WILL LIMIT YOUR HIGH NOTES.....it feels the opposite but this is how the muscles work.

Visualize what should be happening in your throat, as you hit a higher note, the side flaps of your vocal chords are coming together closer creating a smaller opening, YOUR ADAMS APPLE IS NOT MOVING AT ALL> most singers Adams apple will move up as they try to go high, this is a sign of tension and cuts off high notes. The only way to get power at the high end, where the notes sound as solid as your chest voice is to work the muscles out just like a body builder.

Maybe a bit more than you wanted, maybe not enough to explain it properly but there you go, my VERY simplistic explanation.

A couple tips that might help:

Stay Hydrated, they even make special sprays and such if you have a dry voice come performance time but mainly make sure you drink a lot of water all the freakin time.

Do the book on stomach thing 10-20 minutes a day every day and try to think about it a few times during the day until eventually you are breathing correctly ALL THE TIME>

Besides not wanting your Adams apple to be shooting around, also make sure your tongue is not stuck to the roof of your mouth, simply relaxing your tongue helps relax your whole throat.

Warning, I don't sound worth a shit myself, I just happen to know what the hell I am talking about ;-)

my first post i really enjoy all the topics on this forum . Its discussions are pretty legit when it comes to the music , band members past/present and Q&As . On topic

I have been to many concerts and also fronted a band as vocalist . There are only a few songs that are band would cover from the GnR catalog . Obviously , simple ones

Mr . Brownstone , Its So easy and Nighttrain a few times but only pulled it off great twice . Trying to sing any other Gnr classic would have been Doomsday !!!! Even myles

sounds so so on slashs covers at roxy and Mtv lauch Whatever shits called !! My advice would be if you want to sing Gnr for fun go all out and no one will care . Try to

sound like the most unique voice in Rock and Roll !!!! That my man is the worst thing you can do to yourself and your ego !!! Brother find your on tone and compare it to

other vocalist from other bands . Im sure ever person in the world would love to sing Civil WAR just once in there Lifetime like Axl but thats called being a ROCKSTAR !!!!!!

Find your own voice my man and shit will be exciting !!!!

Check it out.

PC

SCOM

They are pretty good, I don't think the vocalist is that good though I watched some other videos and the singer is actually awesome... listen to WTTJ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9L28WWeVjw&feature=related

They are badass!!!! The singer even looks like Axl, and the guy that plays Slash is dead on, maybe he can give DJ some lessons... hahaha..

Whenever I find myself in a Karaoke bar I sing a Guns N' Roses song.

Hey! Roy!

Any tips for this guy?

It takes several years of intensive training and total abstinence to hit those notes, my young padawan. Meaning no sex, no drugs, and no liquor. Only then one can reach high-pitched supersonic mode. A huge pair of testicles speeds up the process though.

Check it out.

PC

SCOM

They are pretty good, I don't think the vocalist is that good though I watched some other videos and the singer is actually awesome... listen to WTTJ! http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Appetite for Destruction fucking rocks. I wonder if he's ever met Axl.