Would U Want 2 Meet Axl Rose?

Johnny Utah

The question is would you want to meet Axl Rose?

Obviously most people would initially think this is a no brainer...of course they would.

But remember the old adage of it's never a good idea to meet your idols...because you might be let down.

So would you wanna risk it or just stay at a distance and keep your opinon of him the way it is?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Apollo

A musician shouldn't be your idol or hero. It's just a guy with a good voice who can write music.

He is just a human being, like you or I.

Yes, I would like to meet him.

No, I wouldn't act like a fucking idiot in doing so.

I've just never gotten the whole idol or hero-worshiping of entertainers or athletes.

A musician shouldn't be your idol or hero. It's just a guy with a good voice who can write music.

I've just never gotten the whole idol or hero-worshiping of entertainers or athletes.

Maybe they shouldn't be....BUT many people have a few or just one entertainer that really speaks to them.

Which is kinda what the question is playing on in this case. Obviously if you felt that way about someone (for whatever reason) you'd want to meet them....but what if it didn't go well....would that affect the way you enjoy the music in the future?

I think it quite possibly could, which is why it's an interesting question to think about.

Axl is an idol of mine because I have a great interest in being a singer/performer. The same goes for Ozzy and Bono. Regardless of whether or not that dream will ever come true, they are still idols of mine. So, should I not look up to them, Apollo?

Same thing goes for others and athletes. I'm sure most of the people who look up to Michael Jordan do so because they want to be like him. A great, successful, famous basketball player. Sure, there are other reasons, probably, but I'd say that is the biggest.

And you don't even have to be interested in something like that to look up to someone. When people look up to their grandparents, or parents, etc, they do so because there is something in these people that attracts others to look up to them and want to be like them. How is that so hard to fathom?

i think i could have met axl in ottawa if i really tried. in the end what seperated me from axl was a 2km walk in the cold ottawa night, i said fuck it and went into the venue. honestly it really wasnt that important to me. meeting axl would be cool for the sake of the story but i value the performance over a quick handshake and how ya doin. i have no regrets with how that played out.

actually i regret not getting to talk to bumblefoot, by all accounts he is a cool guy and it would have been cool to have a conversation with him. wheras with axl it would have probably just been a greeting which is why i think its overated. bumble will actually shoot the shit with you.

Edited by Jackie Moon

I would meet him. I've been reading that he's funny. Wouldn't mind meeting the easy going, funny guy I have read from people who have actually met him as opposed to this ego-centric guy I keep reading about from the media. But I wouldn't ask for an autograph. I've never understood the autograph thing. And I wouldn't try the groupie thing. One because I'm not 18 anymore which I suspect is still his preferred age, and two because that thing has just been around way too much.

But I do think he'd be interesting to just shoot the shit.

Of course I would. Why would I want to pass out the chance to stammer out a thank you and then gush about how Prostitute is the greatest song even written all the while sounding like a drunk with a speech impediment. But if I had the chance to thank him for his music, which has meant more to me than I can really put into words, I don't think I could pass that up. In a way it's the same principle, for me at least, as your best friend being there for you in the shit times and also the great times because that's what his music has done for me, made the great times better and made the shit times a lot less shit and I feel like I owe him a thank at you at the very least.

Of course if he clearly doesn't want to be bothered then I wont because that's just common curtosy, you don't bother people with your own needs when they don't want to be bothered in the first place.

Fuck, where did that come from :lol: I sound like some rabid stalker with abandonment issues, I'm normal, don't worry.

The question is would you want to meet Axl Rose?

Obviously most people would initially think this is a no brainer...of course they would.

But remember the old adage of it's never a good idea to meet your idols...because you might be let down.

So would you wanna risk it or just stay at a distance and keep your opinon of him the way it is?

Fucking Goddamn yes. No questions.

I never thought I'd get a chance to meet Axl or anyone in GNR for that matter. Then a few things fell in line in January in Toronto and I was fortunate to meet several members (Axl, Tommy, DJ, Frank and Richard). Also got to meet and talk to Baz as well. All I can say is that they were all really great guys, very nice and surprisingly humble.

As silly as this sounds, when you meet the people you've looked up to for a long time, you quickly realize that they are real people. I know some of you will say, "well duh," but it's one thing to be staring up at someone like Axl Rose doing his thing on stage and another thing to be standing across the table drinkin' with the guy. I remember thinking at the time, I'm having fun because I'm partying, drinking like a madman, shooting the shit, cracking jokes, and oh yeah, Axl just happens to be apart of the party. He may be a rock star on stage, but in the bar, he's just like everyone else, just wanting to have a good time. Even if he wasn't there I'd still be having a great time.

That said, I didn't concern myself becoming good friends with the band members or even whipping up conversations. What's the point, I really didn't have much to say to them unless it was based on whatever was being discussed. It wasn't until two hours into drinking with the guy that I actually shook Axl's hand and let him know that I was a big fan. He was gracious and that was pretty much it, no point to harp on about it.

I will admit that after meeting the band I became much less concerned with their business or the politics of GNR. What once was a mysterious group of musicians who personified some deity-like ideal has now been replaced with a realistic perspective of what GNR is: a bunch of dudes who write and play great tunes. The larger than life aspect of who one's idols are quickly gets redefined to a much more grounded perspective. I actually have this crazy theory that if GNR did more meet-and-greets fans would be far less obsessed.

Can't speak for everyone but my experience was great. So long as you're not a dork or freak about it, there's nothing wrong with wanting to express thanks and admiration for what someone does. Just be cool.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

I would want to meet him. I would probably be a little bit intimidated by the whole situation, but after the initial 'holy shit' I think I'd be okay.

Topics of conversation:

What kind of coffee he likes (no, seriously)

TV shows

Slash

GnR vault stuff

Him doing a solo record

Music in general

Art

Movies

And whatever else comes up. Mmmhmm.

Sure, it would be awesome! He's not really an idol to me, but man, he's one of the greatest rock icons music has ever seen! He's Axl Rose! So, to have the experience to talk to Axl Rose would be hella cool, but I'd definitely stay calm and treat him like a normal person, being starstruck just doesn't add to the experience in a positive way, believe me. I'd go crazy afterwards! :D

I probably wouldn't even mention anything music wise to him, unless it was about another band. And I certainly wouldn't bug him about Slash. Asking Axl about Slash is like asking Ozzy about the bat. Everyone should know by now what the story is, so just move on.

I think the best question to ask him would be what his favorite season of Dexter is and what he thought about Season 4.

Maybe they shouldn't be....BUT many people have a few or just one entertainer that really speaks to them.

Which is kinda what the question is playing on in this case. Obviously if you felt that way about someone (for whatever reason) you'd want to meet them....but what if it didn't go well....would that affect the way you enjoy the music in the future?

I think it quite possibly could, which is why it's an interesting question to think about.

I agree with Apollo and yeah Johnny Utah, I think that if something goes wrong it can affect the way you enjoy the music. It happened to me once, not that I wanted to meet that musician and he wasn't my idol but we were both at the same party so I've met him, and after being harassed by that idiot all night now I can't even listen to his records. I used to like the way he sings, but now I hate it.

Of course I would want to meet him.

At first I would be like "holy shit, wtf, this can't be happening" but after a few minutes I think I'd be fine.

And if he wasn't nice to me or something, I think I wouldn't think less of him for it. Everybody has an off day. Maybe he's tired, maybe he's pissed at something. Whatever. You can't be smiling and cracking jokes all the time.

But it would be nice if I caught him on a good day. Would like to discuss Dexter with him. :) And a few other things. And of course, thank him for the amazing music.

Autograph and pics too. :D

Of course.

I wouldn't mind having a discussion with him, but really all I'd like to get the chance is to say is how irreplaceable his music has been in the context of my life. I'd shake his hand, thank him for the music, and tell him never to give up, no matter how loud or vicious the opposition gets. Do it to spite them.

I think EVERYONE in here, fan or not would like to meet him. Having said that, I'm not sure everyone would have such nice things to say.

At first I would be like "holy shit, wtf, this can't be happening" but after a few minutes I think I'd be fine.

And if he wasn't nice to me or something, I think I wouldn't think less of him for it. Everybody has an off day. Maybe he's tired, maybe he's pissed at something. Whatever. You can't be smiling and cracking jokes all the time.

But it would be nice if I caught him on a good day. Would like to discuss Dexter with him. :) And a few other things. And of course, thank him for the amazing music.

I've been a fan since 1988 but if Axl was an asshole to me, I'd throw his records right out the window. I can totally see where you're coming from.

Edited by Nintari

I think EVERYONE in here, fan or not would like to meet him. Having said that, I'm not sure everyone would have such nice things to say.

I've been a fan since 1988 but if Axl was an asshole to me, I'd throw his records right out the window. I can totally see where you're coming.

If Axl was an asshole to me I'd LMAO and keep listening to his records. He's not my idol or hero, but he's my favorite singer :P

I've been a fan since 1988 but if Axl was an asshole to me, I'd throw his records right out the window. I can totally see where you're coming.

If Axl was an asshole to me I'd LMAO and keep listening to his records. He's not my idol or hero, but he's my favorite singer :P

I know he's nice. I remember the vids of him hugging fans in Asia. I would LOVE to get a hug, but I know that can't happen to everyone, unfortunately. I've also seen vids of him at the airport, looking tired as shit, like he just wants to get to the hotel and sleep, but he still stops and signs a few autographs.

I don't think he would be an asshole to anyone, unless you did something really bad to piss him off. I think the "worse" that can happen is you get him at the airport , tired, in a hurry, or he just had an unpleasant conversation with someone or something like that, and he's not gonna give the attention that every fan wants to get, like hugs and pics with him smiling and a little conversation or whatever, but I don't think he'd be an asshole to anyone.

So I wouldn't throw my records out the window. Haha. I'd just hope to catch him in a better situation next time.

Edited by Deb Rose

I would not, no.

Too much very public history to suggest it would be a bummer. I know we all marvel at the anecdotes from fans who meet him from time to time about how great he was and how he "really is" and not like that evil press make him out to be.

I don't share that view. In fact, I think that's fanboy bullshit from people deluding themselves. I think the way he "really is" is, in actual fact, not a very nice person. My love for his music has never wavered over 20 plus years, but my opinion of Axl the man has only gone way, down, and at times, way down. And I don't know I'd need that even further re-inforced right in front of my face.

Edited by D-GenerationX

Sure, I'd meet the dude, but I would have no real interest in handshakes and autographs. A thank you, perhaps.

The setting I'd prefer would be in a studio, either listening to some unreleased shit, or working on a piece with the guy.

I guess that's kinda selfish, but other than something musical, I can't think of anything I'd want out of being in close proximity to Axl Rose.