Best Axl performance ever?

CAFC Nick

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this Estranged - it was the 2nd show of the tour, the brilliant recovery from Rio, and great note at the end, kinda saying sorry bout Rio, but I'm the man still:

And I like this Rosie at L'Arc in 2010. It MTV were around today they would play this exact shitty video and it'd be #1. It's brilliant:

Edited by Eu4ic

thats a tough one, i would say..

Welcome To The Jungle - Ritz '88

Paradise City - Paris '92

November Rain Reading '10 - i thought leeds was better but reading has the best videos

Chinese Reading '10

Oh My God Rio '01 - The End of that is amazing

Brownstone Rock Am Ring 06

those are a few of my favs

- Rocket Queen '10

Rocket Queen is one of my favorite songs and he fucking nailed it here, his vocals were eerily good that night.

Damn, that's one of, if not the best performances by Axl in recent years.

You replied to a 2 year old post.

Altough bumped, this is still a pretty good and up-to-date thread IMO.

I like how everyone tries to find great performances from the post-original era. The best performances by anyone always happen when he's young.

Not always, Jerry Cantrell's vocals have matured well along the years. I consider Black Gives Way To Blue (song) to be his finest moment.

I like how everyone tries to find great performances from the post-original era. The best performances by anyone always happen when he's young.

No, wanna know what is actually dumb? How people think that Axl could actually sing back then. He had no control over his voice, he could only scream and the full-raspy made songs sound pathetic to countless non-GNR fans. Axl was never an amazing singer (but an amazing frontman, no doubt) and his live performances (especially the older ones) show that. He could never sing Patience, November Rain, Sweet Child, Estranged, etc... I could go on. Like him or not, I actually think that Scott did a much better job than Axl has ever done in singing Patience live.

That being said I'd say Sailing is possibly my favorite Axl performance ever - or possibly This I Love from Rio 2010, both great performances.

1331495078' post='3034562']
1331487416' post='3034482']

This isn't always true. For example, the 26 june 1977 Elvis Presley's Unchained Melody performance, in one of his last shows --when he was weighing three blue whales and half an african elephant--, is still one of the most brilliant, beautiful and passionate singings I've ever heard.

But this is about Guns n' Roses, and I totally agree with you on that: the best Axl's performance belongs to the past (imo, to the "Adler's Era", hehe). I know, taste is taste, but I still can't understand how people can find the today Axl a good singer. In '06 he was great and healthy, especially at Rock am Ring, maybe better than some UYI's tour moments. I don't know. I don't like his present whale song voice. But, as I sad, taste is taste.

Oh, I forgot my favorite Patience live version:

By the way, all of these awards concerts and TV participations (or any other kind of short presentation) are excelent, with Axl singin' at his best. Like this one:

Where was this patience and who is on drums?

Exactly. It's hilarious and dumb at the same time.

No actually, whats hilarious and dumb is that you are pretending to pronounce some kind of timeless, universal truth when you're articulating no more than your own individual preference. There are things like artistic maturity and experience which can come to add something meaningful to a performer's repertoire over the course of time. You may not appreciate that but many do.

Also, the fact that people have some favourites from the post-AFD era line-up doesnt mean that they have no appreciation or no favourites from the shows from earlier times. Its just that some people dont wear such blinders of hate for everything that came after 1994 that they can actually (Shock! Horror!) enjoy it!

Can't someone love both original GnR and the new incarnations? I do...

The best music (all the classics) has already been written a long time ago, so no possible improvement on that... Still CD has some interesting music on it and although it has no hits it's still a relevant album for R&R fans.

Performance wise, especially in Axl's case I find some of the 2010 performances the most inspired ones ever like Nice Boys in O2 London. His voice to me was vintage stuff in 2010, more matured but At the same time keeping an insane raspy rawness.

At the end of the day I'd take the UYI lineup anytime over the current one, but hey it could be worse - like just having Slash & Myles playing GnR hits.

Not always, Jerry Cantrell's vocals have matured well along the years. I consider Black Gives Way To Blue (song) to be his finest moment.

Agreed. And Bruce Dickinson is singing better now than he did in the '80s. I personally believe his vocals on The Thin Line Between Love and Hate are better than anything he's ever done, not to mention Paschendale, El Dorado, Lord of Light, and The Talisman.

It's gonna be a little of both. A little of a young vocalist and a little of an older one. I can confidently say that Street of Dreams is Axl's best vocal moment (technically), but I do think you'll find most of his best live moments from the '80s.