In defense of Buckethead....

Kaneda

I do see Bucket and Hendrix in same category but Bucket isn't in the same league. Hendrix invented the category. You can put him on a pedestal as untouchable but I don't think even he'd want that. For me I have to look at Hendrix's music that I enjoyed, when I look at the myth or symbol I see the 60s revolution that failed, the yuppies in the 80s, the divorce rates in 90s, and the painkiller addiction of 00s. but the initial freedom and risk taking worked great artistically. Bucket had an inverted KFC Bucket on his head, that's awesome.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do see Bucket and Hendrix in same category but Bucket isn't in the same league. Hendrix invented the category. You can put him on a pedestal as untouchable but I don't think even he'd want that. For me I have to look at Hendrix's music that I enjoyed, when I look at the myth or symbol I see the 60s revolution that failed, the yuppies in the 80s, the divorce rates in 90s, and the painkiller addiction of 00s. but the initial freedom and risk taking worked great artistically. Bucket had an inverted KFC Bucket on his head, that's awesome.

Great post.

If you stop to think about it......perhaps hendrix (and reagan) is the reason bucket wears the kfc hat.

Edited by SunnyDRE

I hear Shacklers revenge and I think..Really? Really? That song would have worked for me if it wasn't GNR's logo on top of it because i would have considered the source.

for those who deny CD was often disregarded based solely on the name...

subconscious fuckin jealousy. people cant let it go, axls possession of the name.

Edited by Jackie Moon

I hear Shacklers revenge and I think..Really? Really? That song would have worked for me if it wasn't GNR's logo on top of it because i would have considered the source.

for those who deny CD was often disregarded based solely the name...

subconscious fuckin jealousy. people cant let it go, axls possession of the name.

LOL if you think about it, its pretty stupid to dismiss a song you like just cause of the name of the band. don't understand that line of thinking one bit but its quite hilarious that some actually think that way.

He'll never touch Hendrix - I'm not talking about technical skill, cool?

I think the only reason why people say this is because of the respect for the classic age of rock. Hendrix is basically god with the guitar, and was ahead of his time, but in all honesty, he was mainly a hard rock blues man. Buckethead covers all corners of virtually all styles of music. I also think people write him off right as a novelty stunt guitarist also because of his persona. You see a guy wearing a KFC bucket on his head you think that he's good for a laugh, an oh or ah maybe, but you don't really look into his work. Yes he does do crazy stunt filled songs like Welcome To Bucketheadland, or Jordan, but listen to his album Colma, and songs like Soothsayer, Allowed to play and Whitewash (which is on Colma). I mean he may be virtuosic, but he can play with such melody and emotion that the songs really do come alive, especially when almost all his songs have no lyrics. He is more than just affects, and again, if you listen to Colma, you can see what he can do with just an acoustic, especially on the song For Mom, which is a great example. The man puts his soul into music and it's a shame people don't see behind the personality and number of bands he played with, because honestly, he is one of the great songwriters of our time, with Hendrix.

Not to take away from Hendrix, but in my opinion Bucket is better, because of the soul and versatility he puts into his work, and he is really all about the music.

Great post.

If you stop to think about it......perhaps hendrix (and reagan) is the reason bucket wears the kfc hat.

I hadn't thought of it like that, Bucket being like an inverted Hendrix who reflects his times as much as Hendrix did his. I really need to get a Bucket album.

for those who deny CD was often disregarded based solely on the name...

LOL if you think about it, its pretty stupid to dismiss a song you like just cause of the name of the band. don't understand that line of thinking one bit but its quite hilarious that some actually think that way.

its ridiculous.

my distaste for fergie is well documented here, but i wouldn't say that her songs dont work for me because she is fergie. a good song is a good song. i like a lot of the BEP, not in spite of fergie but often because of fergie. i can separate the music and my distaste for her. much like slash, im a fan of the music, the look, the performances, but it doesnt mean i necessary like the person behind it. i dont have to. its possible to like 3/4th of the package and remain a fan. there are lots of fans of chinese democracy who dont like / approve of axl himself. thats entirely valid. but to say "i dont like the album because of the name", thats fucked.

Edited by Jackie Moon

I'd probably go back to Bucketheadland? or something with Robot in the title. I'm a youtube fan so far. Is there anything as good as Mr Bungle's second album?

I'd steer clear of Bucketheadland or Giant Robot initially. Maybe something more straight-ahead-rock would be best to start with, like "Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot", "Peppers Ghost", first half of "Crime Slunk Scene" or similar. The studio versions of these can be found on youtube, but as always the sound quality is unacceptable imo, but it will give you a taste. For a more laid back style try "Population Override", "Dragons of Eden", or "Colma".

Incidentally, "Dragons of Eden" features Brain on drums throughout.

The place to get hold of all of these is: www.tdrsmusic.com

They'll get you started :thumbsup:

Edited by ashysdad

What's the most avant-garde of his albums?

Probably "Island of lost minds", "Cuckoo clocks of hell", or "Kaleidoscalp". All three are quite challenging listens though, may take some time to appreciate.

Hendrix great, yeah no doubt, but he is not even in the same league as the Big B...

You're right, they're not in the same league. He's in a league way over your little Bucketboy, and if you believe otherwise you are truly stupid. If Hendrix was never born, GNR as we know it wouldn't exist. Rock music as we know it wouldn't exist. If Buckedhead was never born, it wouldn't have meant shit to the rock world.

How many guitarist have you heard say "Buckedhead was my biggest influence" compared to "Jimi Hendrix was my biggest influence"? I rest my case.

He'll never touch Hendrix - I'm not talking about technical skill, cool?

I think the only reason why people say this is because of the respect for the classic age of rock. Hendrix is basically god with the guitar, and was ahead of his time, but in all honesty, he was mainly a hard rock blues man. Buckethead covers all corners of virtually all styles of music. I also think people write him off right as a novelty stunt guitarist also because of his persona. You see a guy wearing a KFC bucket on his head you think that he's good for a laugh, an oh or ah maybe, but you don't really look into his work. Yes he does do crazy stunt filled songs like Welcome To Bucketheadland, or Jordan, but listen to his album Colma, and songs like Soothsayer, Allowed to play and Whitewash (which is on Colma). I mean he may be virtuosic, but he can play with such melody and emotion that the songs really do come alive, especially when almost all his songs have no lyrics. He is more than just affects, and again, if you listen to Colma, you can see what he can do with just an acoustic, especially on the song For Mom, which is a great example. The man puts his soul into music and it's a shame people don't see behind the personality and number of bands he played with, because honestly, he is one of the great songwriters of our time, with Hendrix.

Not to take away from Hendrix, but in my opinion Bucket is better, because of the soul and versatility he puts into his work, and he is really all about the music.

Once I said that Guthrie Govan is better than The Beatles guys put together. He's may be better than them technique-wise, but honestly, what would have been music without The Beatles and what would have been music without Guthrie Govan? There's a hude difference between Hendrix and Buckethead. The bucket guy is a great musician, plays more styles, he's a more technical player and... Jimi influenced a whole generation, he came up with stuff no one had done before. I'm not talking about playing style only, I'm talking about wah wah, distortion and stuff like that as well. Really, Bucket didn't come up with stuff like Hendrix did. I don't even believe I'm actually saying these things. This is an statement that would make Brian Carroll shake his head at. He'd be the first to disagree with this comparison.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

words

Okay, now that you've had your little tantrum can you please go back to assessing cock sizes so we can have a serious discussion here? Thanks.

Once I said that Guthrie Govan is better than The Beatles guys put together.

In my opinion this is a fair assessment.

Edited by ashysdad

Hendrix great, yeah no doubt, but he is not even in the same league as the Big B...

You're right, they're not in the same league. He's in a league way over your little Bucketboy, and if you believe otherwise you are truly stupid. If Hendrix was never born, GNR as we know it wouldn't exist. Rock music as we know it wouldn't exist. If Buckedhead was never born, it wouldn't have meant shit to the rock world.

How many guitarist have you heard say "Buckedhead was my biggest influence" compared to "Jimi Hendrix was my biggest influence"? I rest my case.

if you really believe that then you are a lost cause.

have some respect.

btw, what a terrible argument. if hendrix wasnt born? ok lets get into a whole pile of what ifs. what if chuck berry wasnt born? elvis? little richard? margaret thatcher?

what if?

what if hendrix wasn't born and someone better came along?

what ifs are useless, like your post. no one says you have to agree, but to come out and say if you disagree you are stupid, well, you just established yourself as the real idiot here. although thats nothing new.

im not getting into the whole hendrix-bucket, ron-bucket thing because they are all so talented its all personal preference at that point.. wtf ever.

btw who is more famous / relevant doesn't = better.

Edited by Jackie Moon

have some respect.

btw, what a terrible argument. if hendrix wasnt born? ok lets get into a whole pile of what ifs. what if chuck berry wasnt born? elvis? little richard? margaret thatcher?

what if?

what ifs are useless, like your post. no one says you have to agree, but to come out and say if you disagree you are stupid, well, you just established yourself as the real idiot here. although thats nothing new.

im not getting into the whole hendrix-bucket, ron-bucket thing because they are all so talented its all personal preference at that point.. wtf ever.

All right, just forget the "what if" shit. My point was just that Hendrix as a musician is in a league way, way, way over Buckethead. He was never the fastest or the smoothest player, but he invented his own style, witch has been copied over and over for 40+ years. Nobody with a little sense in their head can argue on that.

I'm not trying to start a Hendrix vs Buckethead thread, i just corrected Gunns5 when he wrote "Hendrix great, yeah no doubt, but he is not even in the same league as the Big B...", witch is complete bullshit.

Guest gunns5

have some respect.

what if?

well said, I just prefer Bucket to other guitarists (99% of which are well known and they are famous) because he is adaptable. He can play any style and, as a guy said on youtube, make you cry/laugh/jaw drop all in the space of 1 song. Not many guitarists can do that. But if you like the 1 type of guitarist who can only play 1-2 styles then more power to you

Edited by gunns5

Of course Hendrix was way more essential to rock music than Bucket could ever hope to be, just like Elvis Presley was more essential than Mike Patton...

Doesn't mean you can't like the latter more and think they are better at what they do, for the simple reason that comparing rock legends to underground or alternative outcasts is pointless, especially if their respective carriers were four decades appart...

Of course Hendrix was way more essential to rock music than Bucket could ever hope to be, just like Elvis Presley was more essential than Mike Patton...

Doesn't mean you can't like the latter more and think they are better at what they do, for the simple reason that comparing rock legends to underground or alternative outcasts is pointless, especially if their respective carriers were four decades appart...

This is exactly what I'm trying to say. Thank you for having better words to describe it rock1

As for the record: I like Govan's and Buckethead's music better than The Beatles' music.

Buckethead is part of the evolution of guitar. He does what he does really well. Hendrix revolutionized the way the electric guitar is played and what it can do, but after a revolution, you need to perfect what you dicovered in order to get to the next revolution, which is what happening now in the world of modern lead guitar.

It's awesome. Jimi was too.

Jesus Christ.....99% of you retards wouldn't have even heard of Buckethead if he never hooked up with Axl, and now your saying he's better than Hendrix and is revolutionizing guitar playing....geez..

What a load of crap.

**shakes my head**

Jesus Christ.....99% of you retards wouldn't have even heard of Buckethead if he never hooked up with Axl, and now your saying he's better than Hendrix and is revolutionizing guitar playing....geez..

What a load of crap.

**shakes my head**

good post

**shakes your hand**