Do you think we will see Rock come back?

Vincent Vega

Just because something might not be that popular right now, doesn't mean it won't be in a year or two. See what else is out there so you're ahead of the game if and when it makes it big, then you'll have bragging rights over everyone else.

The question is whether it's going to be retro or something completely new. Are there going to be more rock bands that have a "throwback" sound, or are going to be able to evolve it into something else?

Music is constantly evolving, contrary to what you hear on the radio. The past decade has been iffy, but that's also because the music industry has stifled and provided less support to up and coming acts. There's less willingness to take a gamble on new artists that used to be commonplace. How would a band like Zappa's Mothers or Velvet Underground get a contract today? In the 70s and 80s, there was a change in who ran the music business, and you'd have to look at none other than Azoff, Klein, Geffen, Yetnikoff as to what that change was. Before them, it was just a bunch of former bookies and "Goodfellas" types running it. After that, they took a much more involved role in building artist and business relationships, making the artists very wealthy, but of course taking their share for themselves. The one unique one was Peter Grant and Jon Landau, who managed one artist each. Led Zep and Springsteen. That's all they needed.

Now people are looking for safe bets, either people who will be molded into something, get them into the festival circuit and a viral video, or someone who had built their own career from the ground up and had proven themselves on a local level. But if you're looking for the next U2, next GNR, next Nirvana... not sure if you're going to.

How you know a band has hit it big, everyone can name all the members of the band, even if they get it confused. If they get 2 names, then they're a success. If your parents can name the band members. Ask mom who's in GNR, and then ask a Coldplay fan who's in Coldplay other than "Gwynneth's husband" and they don't even like the music, then you know they're really big.

Maybe it's because there's more stuff on TV to watch, and MTV doesn't promote music as much as they do fist bumping and spoiled rich girls. Music serves more as a backdrop to TV shows, and is no longer the show. There's no "event",and even a big prime time special featuring a big music act might not get a lot of ratings. It only seems to be when there's a fundraiser that people in droves will watch.

I think games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero have exposed a variety of rock music to a wide array of people, but there's prob. going to be a point where people move on from that, but they still sell well.

Rock music in general is mixed into pop culture. The classics are bigger than ever. There's always a cover song of a classic, and people will inevitably want to hear the original version. No different than a Clapton fan eventually getting a Muddy Waters, BB King, or Robert Johnson CD. And Clapton's not above being a sellout, but at least he used a fairly lame song and not a bona fide classic to sell phones... but he's a spokesman for Fender, and the endorsement is targeting rock fans as well as Fender owners (and wannabe guitarists/technophiles).

The nice thing is that rock music has always been a hybrid from the beginning, so there's still a lot of space left to fill new genres in there.

Just watch the MTV awards sometime - it might be the only time in the year you get to see music videos on there.

Rap's not going away. People have been saying that almost as long as it's been in the mainstream.

Look, the 90s is when rock died. You all dispute it but back it up with nothing. Now go ahead and post videos of Jack White or Nickelback or whatever shit you are going to try to claim to be great rock music.

The way I consider rock being "dead" is more in the mainstream sense. If you look underground, you can find plenty of great rocks artists out there that are writing good music. However, there hasn't really been a single huge, fresh rock band, or a new movement since the Nineties. Mainstream rock has been a derivative of alternative since then, and it hasn't tried to reinvent itself again. So, in that sense, yes - rock is dead. But, if you take the time to look under the nooks and crannies, you can find some rock worth listening to.

You all dispute it but back it up with nothing.

What do you want us to do? Post scientific facts that rock music isn't "dead"? The most anyone can do is post bands they like that have emerged or have released music in the past decade. If you want something to "back it up", I'll just say that rock music is still being made, and lots of it at that, so it obviously isn't "dead". I won't even waste my time listing all of the bands I like from the decade because I know it won't change your mind. You've already made up your mind that nothing good will ever come from rock again, so what's the point in wasting my time?

What do you want us to do? Post scientific facts that rock music isn't "dead"? The most anyone can do is post bands they like that have emerged or have released music in the past decade. If you want something to "back it up", I'll just say that rock music is still being made, and lots of it at that, so it obviously isn't "dead". I won't even waste my time listing all of the bands I like from the decade because I know it won't change your mind. You've already made up your mind that nothing good will ever come from rock again, so what's the point in wasting my time?

Well listing some bands that are supposedly good that Ive never heard of might help. But really be honest, has there been a band as great as the huge ones from the past?

Well listing some bands that are supposedly good that Ive never heard of might help. But really be honest, has there been a band as great as the huge ones from the past?

My friendly advice: try not to compare everything to your favorite huge bands from the past. Most bands are not huge, especially in the musical climate of the modern music world, but guess what?

a song doesn't have to be written by a huge band for you to enjoy it. Plenty of cool music for you to discover, regardless of your taste. Open your mind.

Perhaps if a younger generations on the horizon come to realize spending affluent teen years in safe suburban neighbourhoods pretending their badasses straight outta Compton is,in fact,incredibly lame...

Guess they should start pretending they grew up in trailer parks and were sexually abused by their parents..

Guest Len B'stard

I don't think it's dead. To be honest i think there's always very little (compared to what people think) good mainstream music around, the best music is always about looking backwards or else just being as innovative as you can. I mean if you really think about it, The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, these bands, musically, were throwbacks to begin with and i think that's a continuous thing. When somethings new and fresh it's very difficult to digest, it's usually 10 years down the trough where people have ironed out all The Kinks and perhaps had the time to theorize and contextualise shit that it really becomes what the ink in the historys books says it is.

It's not even the age of hip hop, it's the age of well defined markets so the rock kids know where to go for their rock and the hip hop kids know where

1) Recovery - Eminem

2) The Suburbs - Arcade Fire

3) Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam

4) Order of the Black - Black Label Society

5) My World 2.0 - Justin Beiber

6) All About Tonight - Blake Shelton

7) Teflon Don - Rick Ross

8) 31 Minutes to Take Off - Mike Posner

9) Kidz Bomp 18

10) Nightmare - Avenged Sevenfold

Thats the top ten albums as they stand and i only see two hip hop albums although fair dues i can only really tell you what genres 1,3,5,7 and 10 fit in.

Perhaps if a younger generations on the horizon come to realize spending affluent teen years in safe suburban neighbourhoods pretending their badasses straight outta Compton is,in fact,incredibly lame...

Guess they should start pretending they grew up in trailer parks and were sexually abused by their parents..

Or they could just stop pretending.

:)

Or they could just stop pretending.

:)

touche'

Guest Len B'stard

i think there's something to be said for pretending y'know...just ask David Bowie :) From the beginning rock n roll has been a kind of subversive fantasy y'know, like everybodys a hairstyle away from being the man. Image has always been rock n rolls hook and what is image if not a form of pretence?

If reality was so cool we wouldn't need rock n roll.

Edited by sugaraylen