METALLICA's HETFIELD: 'I've Got Nothing Against GUNS N' ROSES' - Sep. 22, 2010

justmike66

METALLICA frontman James Hetfield famously slammed GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose's rider when the two bands toured together in the early '90s in a video that became a YouTube hit.

Hetfield picks up where he left off with Axl's 2010 rider and tells Byron Cooke of Australia's long-running rock station Triple M what he really thinks of GUNS N' ROSES. See how the videos compare below.

"I've got nothing against GUNS N' ROSES," Hetfield tells Cooke. "I mean, he's doing what he wants to do at this point. I don't know if there's much 'guns' or 'roses' in any of that, but it's Axl, and he is Axl and he has not changed or waned one bit, and I kind of respect that."

Axl's requirements haven't changed much over two decades. The same booze, the same cheese... However, Axl now needs a bed in his dressing room. "What does he do, sleep at the gig?" Hetfield laughs.

Read more from Triple M.

2010:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=146516

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

METALLICA frontman James Hetfield famously slammed GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose's rider when the two bands toured together in the early '90s in a video that became a YouTube hit.

Hetfield picks up where he left off with Axl's 2010 rider and tells Byron Cooke of Australia's long-running rock station Triple M what he really thinks of GUNS N' ROSES. See how the videos compare below.

"I've got nothing against GUNS N' ROSES," Hetfield tells Cooke. "I mean, he's doing what he wants to do at this point. I don't know if there's much 'guns' or 'roses' in any of that, but it's Axl, and he is Axl and he has not changed or waned one bit, and I kind of respect that."

Axl's requirements haven't changed much over two decades. The same booze, the same cheese... However, Axl now needs a bed in his dressing room. "What does he do, sleep at the gig?" Hetfield laughs.

Read more from Triple M.

2010:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=146516

While James might not have anything against GnR/Axl, i doubt he likes him very much(certainly not as much as Lars likes him). In previous interviews he has always been kind of cordial, like neutral. James is a pretty down to earth guy even after the fame and huge success Metallica have had, while Axl is alot different.

Since it fits nowhere else, a quote from Zakk Wylde:

Do you have any goals?

"I want to break Axl Rose's Chinese Democracy record. It took him what, 14 years? I plan on going away for 20 years. That's because I went away for four years and won a Golden God award. So I figure if I go away for 20 years, I'll win a Nobel Peace Prize. The sad part is, I spend the majority of my nights thinking about this stuff. That's pathetic."

:rofl-lol:

Edited by Schwarzgold

Do you have any goals?

"I want to break Axl Rose's Chinese Democracy record. It took him what, 14 years? I plan on going away for 20 years. That's because I went away for four years and won a Golden God award. So I figure if I go away for 20 years, I'll win a Nobel Peace Prize. The sad part is, I spend the majority of my nights thinking about this stuff. That's pathetic."

:lol:

Yeah.....imagine that. If Axl is such a douche, then why does it seem like every single rock star gets asked their opinion about him? Seems to me like Axl is still one of the biggest name in the business and he has gotten nothing but bad press for like 20 years. I do like that James said he respects that Axl is doing what he wants.

I just thought he was amused by it. There's a point where they all have this point of view of having gone through similar things that there's a little bit of rivalry, but they're part of a big brotherhood that most of us have supported them through, loved them as much as we've bashed them over the years equally. Just from "Some Kind of Monster", the band is essentially Lars and James, with Kirk being the chill one that didn't get into their feuds, but he holds his own with them as needed.

(...) but it's Axl, and he is Axl and he has not changed or waned one bit, and I kind of respect that."

It's true.

:rofl-lol: He made me laugh

Do you have any goals?

This was in the Toronto Sun yesterday. Zakk is pretty awesome.

If Ozzy called you up, would you go back?

Gus G. is the guy now, man. And he's playing his ass off, dude. But if he sprained his wrist in a bizarre whackathon mishap -- and I've had several of those injuries myself -- and Ozzy asked me to fill in for a couple of weeks, I'd say yeah.

:rofl-lol: gotta love Zakk

Do you have any goals?

:lol:

Gus G. is the guy now, man. And he's playing his ass off, dude. But if he sprained his wrist in a bizarre whackathon mishap -- and I've had several of those injuries myself -- and Ozzy asked me to fill in for a couple of weeks, I'd say yeah.

I've always wondered what an Axl/Wylde collaboration would sound like.

I've always wondered what an Axl/Wylde collaboration would sound like.

BLS but with axl on vocals..

"What you see is what you get with Axl. The guy is a legend and a Black Label brother. He's the shit. I played with Guns N' Roses [in the mid-90s]. I was in Studio B and they were in Studio A. So I played Axl some of my shit, like 13 Years Of Grief. And he was like "Zakk, what fuckin' market are you trying to reach with that?" I told him "I dunno, the fuckin' farmer's market?"

So we ended up hanging and jamming together - me, Axl, Slash, Duff [McKagan], Matt [sorum] and Dizzy [Reed]. And I was like Axl, when are you gonna start singing on this shit? Let's quit fuckin' around here!" And that's when Black Label Society was born because I had all these riffs hanging around, and I thought, "Fuck it, I'll do it myself." But it's not because Axl is hard to work for. It's because he cares. He had so much passion. And I'd rather have that than some douchebag who doesn't give a fuck."

yeah, pretty much

James Hetfield ackowledging that which he,himself,could not retain..

bless!

In what way though? Metallica at least has always been there for their fans, you know, playing shows, releasing albums, organizing events, meet and greets, etc...

Edited by moreblack

yeah, pretty much

James Hetfield ackowledging that which he,himself,could not retain..

bless!

In what way though? Metallica at least has always been there for their fans, you know, playing shows, releasing albums, organizing events, meet and greets, etc...

Too bad they forgot how to write good music. Would have been perfect.

You just know Axl has this really great Black label meets Guns song in a vault somewhere. Prob without a vocal.

Yeah. I doubt Axl would let it sound just like black label cause you know he'd have different ideas for melodies and what not. Evidenced in Slash's post-guns efforts.