Nazareth interview about GN'R backstage

Snake Eyes

http://nazarethdirect.co.uk/nazareth/?q=node/1181

Dan got a phone call out of the blue last Friday from an old friend and former manager of ours called Doug Banker. Doug used to be our tour accountant in the early 80s and also managed us for a while back in the day.He was coming to Prague (where we are recording) with Guns N' Roses.

Doug is the long time manager of Ted Nugent, and also works with Doc McGhee who is the manager of GN'R. (Doc also manages Kiss, so he is a very busy boy).

It turns out that GN'R were playing the O2 Arena on Monday so we were all invited to the show.

We all piled into a couple of cars and set off for the show where we were met by Doug and given VIP passes then taken to seats reserved for special guests. I must tell you that GN'R have a reputation for going on a bit late which suited us just fine 'cos it meant we had time for a few (more) beers before the show started and what a Helluva show it turned out to be.

They had a huge stage production on a huge stage and I can tell you that throughout the 2.40 hour show these guys must have covered every inch of it.

Axl must be one of the best front men in the history of rock and he showed it that night.

The guy sings as if he was 21 and his vocals were amazing.He also has more costume changes than Diana Ross which works great because it keeps grabbing your attention and makes you wonder what he'll look like every time he comes back onstage.

Needless to say, all the musicians in the band are fantastic (and very fit I might add)

The three guitarists must have covered 5 miles each with all their running around up and down the stage. I was exhausted just watching these guys. I couldn't play for GN'R. I don't have the legs for it!!

I won't go into all the ins and outs of the set (I'm not a music reviewer and wouldn't do it justice) but take it from me the show was brilliant.

Afterwards Dan and me were invited back to Axl's dressing room within 3 minutes of the guys leaving the stage and all the other guys from GN'R joined us and we spent the next hour or so shooting the shit about old times and generally having a good time. The band are all lovely people and treated Dan and me like royalty. We were very humbled but also very happy with all this.

They then insisted that we go back to their hotel for drinks and more chat (this was 3.30 in the morning mind you but they were still rockin').

We went back and started partying all over again.

I should mention that by this time they are all wearing hats. (GN'R love a hat) and they insisted I have one of them so I was presented with this thing that looks as if it was stolen from Frank Sinatra but I will cherish it always.

I spent a long time talking to Dj Ashba (one of the guitarists and a really nice young man who has more tattoos than a whole biker gang) and discovered he own's a graphics company in L.A. so we have asked him to design the new Naz album sleeve so let's hope that happens.

After lengthy goodbyes we dragged our weary asses back to the studio where we are living and got home at 7.00am.

Our recording session started very late on Tuesday after the consummation of much aspirin and other so called hangover cures.

It was a memorable evening where we met old friends and made a lot of new ones.

Hope you enjoyed reading about it.

cheers for now Pete

Speaking of Sinatra, it made me smile when the PA started to blast Sinatra's "My Way" in Bercy right after the show...

Thought it was a perfect fit considering that Axl was, as usual, late, and what an epic show he gave when he hit the stage.

For what is a man, what has he got?

If not himself, then he has naught.

To say the things he truly feels;

And not the words of one who kneels.

The record shows I took the blows -

:thumbsup:

Awesome story. I saw two Nazareth shows this summer. McCafferty has got to be well into his 60s, but his voice is still otherworldly. Seeing them live really gives you an idea of how much Axl was influenced by him.

According to a Chris Webber blurb in Reckless Road, Hair Of The Dog was the inspiration behind Axl's trademark voice.

Izzy and Chris came back to an apartment once to hear Axl wailing the song in the shower. They were so impressed, that they asked him to adopt that bluesy register in his vocals and to step back from his Rob Halford metal-approach.

Speaking of Sinatra, it made me smile when the PA started to blast Sinatra's "My Way" in Bercy right after the show...

Thought it was a perfect fit considering that Axl was, as usual, late, and what an epic show he gave when he hit the stage.

right on, man! :thumbsup:

right on, man! :thumbsup:

my favorite version