Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Izzy Stradlin's guitar on UYI Records

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

Joeofthedragon

Joeofthedragon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • 01-October 10
I read somewhere when Izzy first heard the Illusions records his noticed his guitar parts was mostly faded,does anyone know which songs his guitar is very clear on? example like the opening of Pretty Tied up and also which songs didn't he play on? I no Slash played all the songs on locomotive anymore Izzy didn't play.

31illusions

31illusions

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • 10-September 07
If you read the CD's liner notes, it tells you everything you are looking for really.

d_zps117357a7.jpg

salx

salx

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 07-October 02
You can clearly hear Izzy's guitar if you pan the speakers all the way to the left, but I agree it's a little faded.

bacardimayne

bacardimayne

Fatter than ever

• SILVER
  • 16,509 posts
  • 10-May 08
sometimes it's just fucking inaudible

very disappointing if you ask me

dQOAHSG.png

zepsun

zepsun

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • 15-November 02
That happens when you add piano and other instruments...
Piano and rhythm guitar are both midrange instruments. Appetite relied heavily on filling in the sound with both guitars...
I don't give a fuck 'bout them cause I am crazy.

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06

Piano and rhythm guitar are both midrange instruments. Appetite relied heavily on filling in the sound with both guitars...

Has nothing to do with Dizzy.
Slash said he had to ''double up'' for Izzy on the UYI records because Izzy didn't show up for a lot of the later recording sessions and didn't show up at ALL for the mixing sessions.
Also, Izzy complained that the UYI sounds like one Les Paul being played through a giant Marshall amp.
This is the same period where roadies or others would turn off Izzy's amp on the UYI tour.
-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

salx

salx

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 07-October 02
Could it be that Slash was pissed off about Izzy's guitar being louder than his on appetite???

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06

Could it be that Slash was pissed off about Izzy's guitar being louder than his on appetite???

Slash was uncomfortable with the idea of Izzy being in the band in the first place or so I've read. He wanted to be GN'R's only guitarist.
-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

Daedalus

Daedalus

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • 03-May 10
Izzy didn't like the Marshall sound Slash brought with him on the UYI records. He said that he only spent two weeks recording his stuff on the album, and the rest spent around a year.

"On the last record I wasn't around for the mixes, and when they finished them you really don't hear my guitar at all. It was just a big Les Paul through a Marshall sound on most of the songs. Live, it got to the point where I didn't even know if the audience could hear my guitar."

When I see footage of Guns N' Roses, I see that fucking hunger and attitude. You could not fuck with those five guys. It was just raw. It was this lean, hungry thing on its way up.  - Slash

When we started we wanted to be the coolest, sexiest, meanest, nastiest, loudest, funnest band.  - Axl

zepsun

zepsun

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • 15-November 02

Slash said he had to ''double up'' for Izzy on the UYI records because Izzy didn't show up for a lot of the later recording sessions and didn't show up at ALL for the mixing sessions.
Also, Izzy complained that the UYI sounds like one Les Paul being played through a giant Marshall amp.
This is the same period where roadies or others would turn off Izzy's amp on the UYI tour.

I didn't say anything about Dizzy... Axl also played piano..so did Teddy....
From a producer's point of view, non-lead guitars, keyboards, and strings compete with each other in the same spectrum.
I don't give a fuck 'bout them cause I am crazy.

ironmanben

ironmanben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • 10-November 10
The best way to hear Izzy is to listen without the speaker/headphone that's on your right on. Izzy's guitar is always, ALWAYS on the left. When you do this you can actually hear his part in Dust and Bones and Live and Let Die, among others. His guitar part is "faded" because he recorded first, and it's like having a loud sound being drowned out by a bunch of other, louder sounds. There's also a cool Izzy riff in Bad Obsession buried under Slash's slide guitar.

GUNSNROSES513

GUNSNROSES513

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts
  • 16-May 07
Izzy was the meat and potatoes of GNR. Slash was just the beer, it just makes the meal better.
'CAUSE MY BABY'S GOT A LOCOMOTIVE, MY BABY'S GONE OFF THE TRACK.

Sleeping Like An Angel

Sleeping Like An Angel

Near, Far, Wherever You Are!

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts
  • 11-September 10

What? His amp was turned off? Your joking right?

3129u77.jpg

Dublin '06 / Rome '10 / London '10 / London '10 / Birmingham '10 / Manchester '10
Dublin '12 / Glasgow '12 / Manchester '12 / London '12
/ Las Vegas '12 - 21st, 23rd & 24th

"Top o' the mornin' to ya" - A. Vedder

Orsys

Orsys

Born to be Mild

• SILVER
  • 4,031 posts
  • 30-May 09

What? Why?
Some days you're the statue, some days you're the pigeon.

Bumble's Bridge Pickup

Bumble's Bridge Pickup

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • 18-June 10
I think I read they turned his amp off because he was too intoxicated to play or something.

Posted Image