Izzy Stradlin's guitar on UYI Records

Joeofthedragon

I read somewhere when Izzy first heard the Illusions records his noticed his guitar parts was mostly faded,does anyone know which songs his guitar is very clear on? example like the opening of Pretty Tied up and also which songs didn't he play on? I no Slash played all the songs on locomotive anymore Izzy didn't play.

• 2 weeks later...

That happens when you add piano and other instruments...

Piano and rhythm guitar are both midrange instruments. Appetite relied heavily on filling in the sound with both guitars...

Has nothing to do with Dizzy.

Slash said he had to ''double up'' for Izzy on the UYI records because Izzy didn't show up for a lot of the later recording sessions and didn't show up at ALL for the mixing sessions.

Also, Izzy complained that the UYI sounds like one Les Paul being played through a giant Marshall amp.

This is the same period where roadies or others would turn off Izzy's amp on the UYI tour.

Izzy didn't like the Marshall sound Slash brought with him on the UYI records. He said that he only spent two weeks recording his stuff on the album, and the rest spent around a year.

"On the last record I wasn't around for the mixes, and when they finished them you really don't hear my guitar at all. It was just a big Les Paul through a Marshall sound on most of the songs. Live, it got to the point where I didn't even know if the audience could hear my guitar."

Piano and rhythm guitar are both midrange instruments. Appetite relied heavily on filling in the sound with both guitars...

Slash said he had to ''double up'' for Izzy on the UYI records because Izzy didn't show up for a lot of the later recording sessions and didn't show up at ALL for the mixing sessions.

Also, Izzy complained that the UYI sounds like one Les Paul being played through a giant Marshall amp.

This is the same period where roadies or others would turn off Izzy's amp on the UYI tour.

I didn't say anything about Dizzy... Axl also played piano..so did Teddy....

From a producer's point of view, non-lead guitars, keyboards, and strings compete with each other in the same spectrum.

• 5 weeks later...

The best way to hear Izzy is to listen without the speaker/headphone that's on your right on. Izzy's guitar is always, ALWAYS on the left. When you do this you can actually hear his part in Dust and Bones and Live and Let Die, among others. His guitar part is "faded" because he recorded first, and it's like having a loud sound being drowned out by a bunch of other, louder sounds. There's also a cool Izzy riff in Bad Obsession buried under Slash's slide guitar.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

What? His amp was turned off? Your joking right?

Slash, 1995:

Q: There have been rumours about Izzy writing for the next Guns album, leading to further rumours and speculation that he's going to re-join the band. How much truth is involved there, and how do you get on with Izzy these days?

Slash: "Izzy jammed with Snakepit in Chicago, and we did a Stones song, and it was great to see him. But Izzy quit Guns because of the same bullshit that sort of forced me to take off for a while.

He's been writing; he wrote some stuff with Duff. He wants to write songs, but he doesn't wanna deal with the whole thing. And it took me a while to finally get to the point where I couldn't handle it either, y'know?

He wants to write material, but he's not really sure what he wants to do. He's so laid back. He doesn't want to deal any pressure. Izzy does what he wants to do.

As much as has gone on, and as much as I resent Izzy for quitting and all that, and leaving me in weird spots where I had to find a replacement weeks before the next leg of a tour, or if he didn't play on the "Use Your Illusion" records - which is for the most part true - looking back on it, Izzy's Izzy."

Q: What do you mean he didn't play on "...Illusion" albums?

Slash: "I had to double guitars up for him on most of it. He didn't play very much."

I think I read they turned his amp off because he was too intoxicated to play or something.

Yeah, I heard that too, but I don't believe it. There is no proof that it really happened.

Then Axl is a liar, because he's the one that made that statement. He made it on tour back in early 02' I believe. He was telling the crowd how fucked up Izzy was during some UYI concerts and that they had to turn down his amp because he couldn't play.

I think I read they turned his amp off because he was too intoxicated to play or something.

Yeah, I heard that too, but I don't believe it. There is no proof that it really happened.

Then Axl is a liar, because he's the one that made that statement. He made it on tour back in early 02' I believe. He was telling the crowd how fucked up Izzy was during some UYI concerts and that they had to turn down his amp because he couldn't play.

If I remember correctly Axl mentioned Izzy during the Boston show of 2002. Axl talked about Izzy's brief return in 93. He mentioned that Izzy was "whacked out of his mind" playing a different song in a different key so he would have his roadies turn down Izzy's amp.

Edited by ChineseDemocracy2004

they brought him up onstage several times in the 06 tour, and you couldn't hear him then either!

I could hear him on some performances of Used To Love Her in '06, but for the most part I agree you could barley hear his guitar.

Oh, and some people here are just waiting for the chance to talk shit about Axl. So annoying.

If I remember correctly Axl mentioned Izzy during the Boston show of 2002. Axl talked about Izzy's brief return in 93. He mentioned that Izzy was "whacked out of his mind" playing a different song in a different key so he would have his roadies turn down Izzy's amp.

I have found it odd that Axl would bring any kind of story up about the old band during that tour. He was trying so hard to break away from that image and any mention of the old guys, but he stops to tell a funny Izzy story out of the blue. Not even a "fuck Izzy" story, but a wistful anecdote that he looked back on fondly.