Guns N' Roses, 13 October 2010, London (Discussion)

Azazel

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Planet Rock Review

Gig-review from Planet Rock.

Worth a read I think, and a true insight into the casual fans perspective in my opinion.

Not sure half of his complaints should be directed at the band though - Perhaps the transport services should be the ones making people aware of their transport times.

I'm not a diehard fan or anything. But reading that, I don't think that guy was at the same show as me.

If he was, then I don't think he "got it". At all. And that makes me feel kinda sorry for him.

Planet Rock Review

Worth a read I think, and a true insight into the casual fans perspective in my opinion.

Not sure half of his complaints should be directed at the band though - Perhaps the transport services should be the ones making people aware of their transport times.

Think that article has it spot on in most places especially with the solos and instrumental jams. For us, it's great. We love the new musicians and like to see themselves showcase their own stuff but the casual fan does not. He turns up for the classics and will to an extent put up with small interludes and new songs. Take a look at last nights encore for christ sake. 3 instrumental jams? Bloody hell.

There's nothing wrong with Guns' set apart from this. Us hardcore fans understand that Axl needs a break to rest his voice and recatch his breath every now and again. I think, most casual fans do not realise this. If Guns were just more astute about how they filled instrumental jams to give Axl a 1/2 minute breather it would go down a lot better either by extended intros or outros. You can do those on many of the GNR classics. For example:

Some might get pretty irritated by hearing a 4th band jam which isn't GNR material. However, if that band jam was an extended intro of Rocket Queen people would love it. But importantly it gives Axl a chance to rest his voice. If they brought back Double Talkin' Jive they could do it on the outro.

If the band jams/solos were reduced to one solo by each band member, plus one band jam in the encore with the rest of the breaks being filled up by extended outros or intros of songs, the setlist would seem a whole lot tighter and for the casual fan, better.

Anyway, one thing I didn't like about that article was the bit of lack of respect to fans. Maybe we're used to 10-10.30pm starts so 9.40 seems pretty punctual but Baz didn't finish his set til 8.40. The stage wasn't set up til around about 9.20. So in fairness, it wasn't like Guns could've come on much sooner. Besides, tfl extended the tube time- as soon as I arrived at the station the guy on the megaphone announced the last tube to central London had gone- this would've been around 12.25-30. So it's rubbish that people had to leave at 11.30 They had also set up a bus replacement service back into central London so people didn't have to leave early.

Anyway, a fair review with some good points.

Edited by Guest

Planet Rock Review

“So what are a 21st Century Guns N Roses like? Well, they’re fine. They have a propensity for both genius and the mundane. They play the songs that you love with the proficiency that you would expect from a bunch of well seasoned musicians. And Axl still has the voice. If you close your eyes you will occasionally be fooled that it’s 1988 all over again.”

“Axl can still redeem himself and his band’s reputation, and has every chance of being brilliant once again. There are glimpses of this throughout the show as he really hits his stride and the band are fantastic. But fans are losing patience with the nonsense that seems to follow Guns N Roses around, and it’s so disappointing that once again something other than the music has spoiled the occasion for so many people.”

This review was ok. The writer expresses some interesting things. He gives his opinion without attacking the band. And at the end of the article he adds ¨If anyone else went to the gig last night and had a different experience then please let us know below¨. Well, he can accept other views. Good.

That reviewer does seem to be rooting for Axl and the band. He praises them alot but focuses too much on the late start but I can see his point. There's too much talk of will he won't make it on time and that's distracting from just appreciating the concert. Can someone post a clip where Axl says" Now now.. don't throw thinhs...you might miss me and hit some of those nice people down the front, and we don't want that to happen". Pleeeeese! Thanks:)

The show last night was nothing short of amazing, even though I was in seats it was so intense, I can't wait to be in standing on Monday.

The setlist was fantastic, Axl sounded amazing and he had so much energy. Everyone else played really well too, the solos were mindblowing. I can never understand why people fuck off to get drinks!!

Don't Cry was superb. Really emotional, I hope they play it on Monday.

Marky, there's no way your friend is a die-hard fan, I'm sorry. :rofl-lol: Us real die-hards would never walk out of such an amazing show and complain about Axl being on stage an hour earlier than he's been going on for most of the tour.

I'm not sure I agree with the reviewer with regards to the solos. But I can see it depends what sort of concert goer you are. If you are into the music, dancing and moving around you appreciate the solos for the rest or sometimes even more dancing. From experience the only solo I thought disrupted the pace of the gig was Dizzy's solo but by that stage I was glad for the pause cause I was shattered after the huge non-stop start. If however you are standing right at the back with your arms crossed or sitting down, just watching the show without moving about (which is your right to do) you're obviously not going to get as much out of the gig and hence you probably won't be too interested in the solo.

That reviewer does seem to be rooting for Axl and the band. He praises them alot but focuses too much on the late start but I can see his point. There's too much talk of will he won't make it on time and that's distracting from just appreciating the concert. Can someone post a clip where Axl says" Now now.. don't throw thinhs...you might miss me and hit some of those nice people down the front, and we don't want that to happen". Pleeeeese! Thanks:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3wugyhpn70

The show last night was nothing short of amazing, even though I was in seats it was so intense, I can't wait to be in standing on Monday.

The setlist was fantastic, Axl sounded amazing and he had so much energy. Everyone else played really well too, the solos were mindblowing. I can never understand why people fuck off to get drinks!! Don't Cry was superb. Really emotional, I hope they play it on Monday.

Thank god. Finally, someone who went to the same show as me. ; )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3wugyhpn70

Thank you so much!! Axl's so funny

Last night was brilliant.

Axl sounded incredible. The band were tight.

Loved Axl diffusing the throwing, when he put the the bucket on his head and when someone gave him a fur stole which he ponced around wearing, he seemed quite pleased with it.

Hearing 'Don't Cry' was very emotional, last time I heard Axl sing it live was in '93.

Had a two hour wait outside for a taxi, got home at 4.50am but this is GnR and every few years so what!

It is worth it for the show they put on. Roll on Sunday and Monday.

Thanks guys. :wub:

Edited by axlsend

I was there, and oh my god was it magnificent! I thought axl's voice sounded pretty good on the vids, but hearing it live was just amazing.. you really have to hear him live to get just how great his voice is right now. The setlist was pretty tight, but my jaw dropped when they started playing Nice Boys, I've never heard that live! Highlight of the night for me was probably Nightrain, though it's very hard to choose!

Right I will start from the beginning. I got to the O2 at about half 1 thinking there would already be a fairly big queue, there were about 15 :lol: Or as we (the guys I started talking to) looked at it, we were the 15 biggest fans of Guns N' Roses in England. I met an Australian bloke who was seeing them the next day and at the other two dates and a Brazilian fella who had the exact same tattoos as Axl minus the Appetite one, wierded me out a little to be honest but each to their own. I was the guy with brown hair, wearing the Chinese Democracy t-shirt with the red star, dark grey jeans and Reading Festival bands on my right arm in case anyone on here was curious.

Got into the venue and was right on the barrier in front of Fortus and Bumble. Sebastian Bach were meant to go on at 7 but they didn't hit the stage till half an hour later which is still early. It seemed to take 2 or 3 songs for everyone to warm into them, for some reason it picked up a fair bit after he introduced Nick Sterling and said he had just turned 20. They put on a really energetic show and were very tight, main problem was that you could hardly hear Sebastian at times and when you did it didn't come out very clean which was a shame as he was clearly giving it his all but that problem got resolved as the set progressed. The guy really does work the crowd though, swinging the mic, he almost killed Nick at one point :lol: stopping the song to get us all fired up and his general interaction was brilliant. They went on for a solid hour, some guy kept coming out telling them to keep going. We also got to hear a new song, it was slow one and it sounded really good, slightly more radio friendly from what I could tell but I'm no huge expert on his music.

Also, I had no idea George Chin was Asian, I always just assumed he was your typical American bloke for some reason. Bach tried to get him to take a bow with them but he seemed too shy.

It didn’t seem to take too long for them to set up the stage for Guns. I also caught a glimpse of the set list and TWAT was on there but it seemed to be after DJ’s solo so I’m not sure how legit that was, I only caught a 2 second look so maybe I read it wrong. One of the camera guys came out saying it would be about 10 minutes. 20 minutes later they hit the stage, I couldn’t quite believe how early they were, I was settling in for a long wait. It was incredibly cool of them as it no doubt helped out a lot of people as It did me and my brother and also my parents who decided to come pick me and him up which was awesome of them. Thank you Guns for coming on when you did, it was highly appreciated!

Anyway, they came on and I went fucking mental! The band as a whole was on fucking fire, I have never seen a band throwing so much of themselves into the music while executing it with such precision. They all seem to work off of each other which is great to see and you can hear it in the music, anyone who tries to argue that they aren’t a band have either never seen this band or are just choosing to be an arse just to press people’s buttons. They are a team all there for one another and for the crowd.

My voice was pretty much gone by the time Sorry kicked in but I soldiered on. In some way it really makes you respect how much singers have to go through not to blow their voice out each night. I think it was during Sorry that Beta appeared in front of me and the guy with the Axl tattoos started talking to her. I was hoping to say hello and thank her for all she has done but she seemed busy and I didn’t want to bother her. I think it was also in Sorry that I had a little moment with Ron, he was on the mic and we caught each other’s eye and I made a fake ‘stroking my beard’ hand movement and he returned the favour, but of course he had a real beard to do it with.

There was no low point for me. Vocally Axl was superb, musically the band was intense. Some big highlights were This I Love, Shackler’s Revenge, Knocking on Heavens Door, Street of Dreams, Sorry, Better, IRS, Madagascar, fuck it, at this rate I’m just going to end up listing every song, the whole set was incredible, all 170 minutes of it!

I’ll just list some highlights as I doubt you want to hear me whittle on for much longer.

I got a pic off Ron after one of the songs during which I jokingly bowed to him. The guy really worked his way into my heart last night :xmasssanta: Top class bloke.

I never realised how powerful Fortus was while on stage, the guy hammers the guitar like he’s trying to destroy it. The guy likes to sing along to the big belting moments as well, he also shouted at the guys at the middle of the stage to “Wake the fuck up!” He sported some Union Jack patches on his clothes which was a really nice touch. Anyway, the guy’s stage presence is exceptional.

DJ worked the crowd in his usual brilliant way. During Nightrain he went over to the section reserved for disabled people and hugged some of them which was incredibly cool of him. He gave me a respect fist pump ^_^

After November Rain they started that stop/start outro they do but Frank (who was flawless to my ears) deliberately waited for ages to throw them all off so Axl joking said “Fuck you” and got up from the piano.

As already said, Axl put on the bucket and the people who got it all cheered. That Bucket travelled a fair old way, it started right on the left hand side of the arena.

Axl pretended to be actually flying during Nightrain.

Ron collapsed after Rosie and Axl got him back up.

They played a really beautiful instrumental of Madagascar before they kicked into the song.

During Don’t Cry Axl didn’t have a hat or bandana on and at times he really looked like he was 20 which was kind of trippy. The acoustic version of Don’t Cry comes across much better than any youtube video I have seen of the old band playing it in full.

Axl sang the “Gas Chamber” part of Paradise City for the second verse but the band handled it perfectly.

From what I could see loads of people were still there at the end of show and I think Axl mentioned it in his “Thank you” part at the end but I couldn’t hear him all too clearly as loads of people were clapping/screaming around me.

The sound was spot on. You could actually hear what each of the guys were playing and Axl was at the exact right level to compliment it throughout which with that many instruments is a huge achievement. The reputation the O2 has for being one of the best is well deserved from what I experienced. My only complaint was that Dizzy’s piano during his solo was a little too quiet.

Anyway, thank you to the O2 and thank you Guns N’ Roses for giving me one of the greatest nights of my life! It was emotional, skill wise it was spot on and overall it was an absolute monster of a show. On my death bed I’m pretty sure that night will float into my memory!

Right I will start from the beginning. I got to the O2 at about half 1 thinking there would already be a fairly big queue, there were about 15 :lol: Or as we (the guys I started talking to) looked at it, we were the 15 biggest fans of Guns N' Roses in England. I met an Australian bloke who was seeing them the next day and at the other two dates and a Brazilian fella who had the exact same tattoos as Axl minus the Appetite one, wierded me out a little to be honest but each to their own. I was the guy with brown hair, wearing the Chinese Democracy t-shirt with the red star, dark grey jeans and Reading Festival bands on my right arm in case anyone on here was curious.

Got into the venue and was right on the barrier in front of Fortus and Bumble. Sebastian Bach were meant to go on at 7 but they didn't hit the stage till half an hour later which is still early. It seemed to take 2 or 3 songs for everyone to warm into them, for some reason it picked up a fair bit after he introduced Nick Sterling and said he had just turned 20. They put on a really energetic show and were very tight, main problem was that you could hardly hear Sebastian at times and when you did it didn't come out very clean which was a shame as he was clearly giving it his all but that problem got resolved as the set progressed. The guy really does work the crowd though, swinging the mic, he almost killed Nick at one point :lol: stopping the song to get us all fired up and his general interaction was brilliant. They went on for a solid hour, some guy kept coming out telling them to keep going. We also got to hear a new song, it was slow one and it sounded really good, slightly more radio friendly from what I could tell but I'm no huge expert on his music.

Also, I had no idea George Chin was Asian, I always just assumed he was your typical American bloke for some reason. Bach tried to get him to take a bow with them but he seemed too shy.

It didn’t seem to take too long for them to set up the stage for Guns. I also caught a glimpse of the set list and TWAT was on there but it seemed to be after DJ’s solo so I’m not sure how legit that was, I only caught a 2 second look so maybe I read it wrong. One of the camera guys came out saying it would be about 10 minutes. 20 minutes later they hit the stage, I couldn’t quite believe how early they were, I was settling in for a long wait. It was incredibly cool of them as it no doubt helped out a lot of people as It did me and my brother and also my parents who decided to come pick me and him up which was awesome of them. Thank you Guns for coming on when you did, it was highly appreciated!

Anyway, they came on and I went fucking mental! The band as a whole was on fucking fire, I have never seen a band throwing so much of themselves into the music while executing it with such precision. They all seem to work off of each other which is great to see and you can hear it in the music, anyone who tries to argue that they aren’t a band have either never seen this band or are just choosing to be an arse just to press people’s buttons. They are a team all there for one another and for the crowd.

My voice was pretty much gone by the time Sorry kicked in but I soldiered on. In some way it really makes you respect how much singers have to go through not to blow their voice out each night. I think it was during Sorry that Beta appeared in front of me and the guy with the Axl tattoos started talking to her. I was hoping to say hello and thank her for all she has done but she seemed busy and I didn’t want to bother her. I think it was also in Sorry that I had a little moment with Ron, he was on the mic and we caught each other’s eye and I made a fake ‘stroking my beard’ hand movement and he returned the favour, but of course he had a real beard to do it with.

There was no low point for me. Vocally Axl was superb, musically the band was intense. Some big highlights were This I Love, Shackler’s Revenge, Knocking on Heavens Door, Street of Dreams, Sorry, Better, IRS, Madagascar, fuck it, at this rate I’m just going to end up listing every song, the whole set was incredible, all 170 minutes of it!

I’ll just list some highlights as I doubt you want to hear me whittle on for much longer.

I got a pic off Ron after one of the songs during which I jokingly bowed to him. The guy really worked his way into my heart last night :xmasssanta: Top class bloke.

I never realised how powerful Fortus was while on stage, the guy hammers the guitar like he’s trying to destroy it. The guy likes to sing along to the big belting moments as well, he also shouted at the guys at the middle of the stage to “Wake the fuck up!” He sported some Union Jack patches on his clothes which was a really nice touch. Anyway, the guy’s stage presence is exceptional.

DJ worked the crowd in his usual brilliant way. During Nightrain he went over to the section reserved for disabled people and hugged some of them which was incredibly cool of him. He gave me a respect fist pump ^_^

After November Rain they started that stop/start outro they do but Frank (who was flawless to my ears) deliberately waited for ages to throw them all off so Axl joking said “Fuck you” and got up from the piano.

As already said, Axl put on the bucket and the people who got it all cheered. That Bucket travelled a fair old way, it started right on the left hand side of the arena.

Axl pretended to be actually flying during Nightrain.

Ron collapsed after Rosie and Axl got him back up.

They played a really beautiful instrumental of Madagascar before they kicked into the song.

During Don’t Cry Axl didn’t have a hat or bandana on and at times he really looked like he was 20 which was kind of trippy. The acoustic version of Don’t Cry comes across much better than any youtube video I have seen of the old band playing it in full.

Axl sang the “Gas Chamber” part of Paradise City for the second verse but the band handled it perfectly.

From what I could see loads of people were still there at the end of show and I think Axl mentioned it in his “Thank you” part at the end but I couldn’t hear him all too clearly as loads of people were clapping/screaming around me.

The sound was spot on. You could actually hear what each of the guys were playing and Axl was at the exact right level to compliment it throughout which with that many instruments is a huge achievement. The reputation the O2 has for being one of the best is well deserved from what I experienced. My only complaint was that Dizzy’s piano during his solo was a little too quiet.

Anyway, thank you to the O2 and thank you Guns N’ Roses for giving me one of the greatest nights of my life! It was emotional, skill wise it was spot on and overall it was an absolute monster of a show. On my death bed I’m pretty sure that night will float into my memory!

couldnt agree more, it was fucking incredible.

Getting ready for tonights show, got my bottle of jd for the car journey(im not driving)..also, whats this about a t shirt of the whole band? cartoon stlye?

Wow Plonker, I so liked your post!

It was a great read! Your enthusiasm brought a smile to my face! :)

You described exactly, what I felt and thought about the concert I went to (Geldredome).

About Fortus, we felt the same way, he is a more powerfull personality on stage than most think.

Well we agreed about everything actually, only you know how to describe it way better than me! :thumbsup:

My favorite Shackler's yet, I want to see them do this song live so bad, love the chorus, Axl has a ton of energy and just belts it..US tour :xmassrudolph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hjclke6ztM&playnext=1&videos=kGbR6u86fo4&feature=mfu_in_order

Damn I'm just gonna keep posting, best video of Nice Boys we've gotten yet, fuckin killer

Also you can see the KFC bucket on some guys head like 3 people deep on the left side of the center ego ramp haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnH0DZSfX74&playnext=1&videos=rbh5Cdyty5s&feature=mfu_in_order

Don't cry is just the highlight for me and he looks so much better without that awful hat! I love his mid range tone these days.

Excaclly that's my words. :wub: He looks so fine in this vid. without all this stage stuff (huts, shades, silver jackets etc. :) )