Documentaries

kevdo242

this is a great documentary IMO, it's called How To Die In Oregon about people with terminal illnesses who wanted to end their excruciating pain and die with dignity. it was on HBO but you can see it on Hulu if you have it or rent it on Amazon for 3.99 or buy it. it's a very interesting subject and well done i thought. it made me question whether or not i would do this if i was in that situation.

i also liked the one that showed a "catfisher" before Nev Shulman made his now famous documentary that led to his show Catfish. it's called TalHotBlond and it's way better than Nev's Catfish one to me. it has a few twists and is quite fascinating.

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

• 2 weeks later...

I watched WWII documentaries with my mom.

Usually about Hitler and the SS men. Unfortunately, there's always more horror we learn each and every time.

Still can't believe what the hell was going on during the war.

Everytime you think you know what the Nazi's did you find out more horrible things they did. I agree with the Jewish Defense League in still searching for those SS officers and bringing them to justice.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just finished 'Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis' on HBO. I'm honestly not sure what to think. EODM were one of my favorite bands in high school and I love Jesse & Josh. With that said, I cant help but feel put off by the way they're handling this whole situation. Now I know Jesse is obviously suffering from PTSD as I'm sure most of us would be if we were in his shoes and probably not thinking clearly. But the timing and the way this doc played out just seemed... inappropriate? I couldn't help but feel like they were making everything about the band and not the other victims. ?

Have you guys watched it, yet? Thoughts?

Here's the trailer: the full doc is on HBO, HBOnow & HBOGo

49 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Just finished 'Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis' on HBO. I'm honestly not sure what to think. EODM were one of my favorite bands in high school and I love Jesse & Josh. With that said, I cant help but feel put off by the way they're handling this whole situation. Now I know Jesse is obviously suffering from PTSD as I'm sure most of us would be if we were in his shoes and probably not thinking clearly. But the timing and the way this doc played out just seemed... inappropriate? I couldn't help but feel like they were making everything about the band and not the other victims. ?

Have you guys watched it, yet? Thoughts?

Here's the trailer: the full doc is on HBO, HBOnow & HBOGo

I ain't seen it but I'd probably think long and hard before levelling those sorts of accusations, the band were victims of it too.  I mean fair enough there were other victims, fatalities even and thats an awful thing but i don't think thats reason enough to begrudge them from making a more band-ccentric documentary about it, I mean thats what they're best qualified to touch upon.  There is also the chance that if it's more victims orientated then people might level accusations of them exploiting the victims?  

I dunno, whatever way you look at it its an awful tragedy.

• Like 3

if anyone wants to see a MUCH better story about catfishing watch this instead of the Catfish thing by Nev. his story smelled fishy to me ( pardon the bad pun :P ) but this is a confirmed true story about a real man who fell for a total catfish and how it ruined MANY lives. it's called TalHotBlonde and is incredibly sad and true...

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

On 2/16/2017 at 6:58 AM, Len Cnut said:

I ain't seen it but I'd probably think long and hard before levelling those sorts of accusations, the band were victims of it too.  I mean fair enough there were other victims, fatalities even and thats an awful thing but i don't think thats reason enough to begrudge them from making a more band-ccentric documentary about it, I mean thats what they're best qualified to touch upon.  There is also the chance that if it's more victims orientated then people might level accusations of them exploiting the victims?  

I dunno, whatever way you look at it its an awful tragedy.

This has nothing to do with that, though I want to watch that one now.

But since you like Hank III, check out the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. You know the Legend of D Ray White right? This is actually about some of that family. Birdie May, Mamie, Jescoe. It's really funny but sad at the same time.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, J Dog said:

This has nothing to do with that, though I want to watch that one now.

But since you like Hank III, check out the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. You know the Legend of D Ray White right? This is actually about some of that family. Birdie May, Mamie, Jescoe. It's really funny but sad at the same time.

only if it comes with subtitles! j/k:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18.2.2017 at 0:55 AM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

if anyone wants to see a MUCH better story about catfishing watch this instead of the Catfish thing by Nev. his story smelled fishy to me ( pardon the bad pun :P ) but this is a confirmed true story about a real man who fell for a total catfish and how it ruined MANY lives. it's called TalHotBlonde and is incredibly sad and true...

I'm watching Catfish: the tv show. I like it

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sosso said:

I'm watching Catfish: the tv show. I like it

i used to like it but it seems to always be the same now. his Catfish documentary was better imo. but the TalHotBlond one was better to me. it was totally real and it makes you see how dangerous people playing games online can be. like lethal :scared:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i used to like it but it seems to always be the same now. his Catfish documentary was better imo. but the TalHotBlond one was better to me. it was totally real and it makes you see how dangerous people playing games online can be. like lethal :scared:

Yeah, the first two seasons were the best. The other seasons had just a handful of good episodes. Have you watched Catfish Colombia? That's pretty good too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of the best documentaries I've seen on the Third Reich, its aesthetics and cultural underpinning. The Nazis were less a political party - which is is why their policies are so hard to box into the conventional left or right - but more aesthetics who believed, put briefly, in purity through self-sacrifice. This impacts itself everywhere, upon art, architecture, foreign policy and the holocaust.

I do prefer their preferred art to what they termed, ''degenerate art'', as I am also not a fan of modern art, although the sculptures of Brecker are sort of grotesque. Personally, although a fan of neoclassicism myself, I find their (state) architecture - while certainly awe inspiring and intimidating - drab, grey and clunky. It is as if they took the Graeco-Romano architectural orders and left out all of the charm; you only have to compare the few remaining Nazi buildings to Wilhelmite neoclassical structures, usually found in the same precincts and now appropriated by the Nazi party, to see what I mean. There is a sort of drab modernity about their brand of neoclassicism.