Documentaries

kevdo242

• 1 month later...

There's a great docu from 1989..now available from Criterion (recommend the blu-ray)..called FOR ALL MANKIND.

It's the story of all 24 men who travelled to the moon,told in their words,in their voices..using the images of their experiences.

To see some of this footage in the best condition you will ever get a chance to see it in is pretty amazing.

It's worthy if you have an interest in that sort of material.

I saw Foo Fighters: Back And Forth last night, it was actually pretty interesting. I'm not a big Foo Fighters fan, but it was pretty cool seeing how the band came to be. The videos of them recording the new album were pretty cool.

Talking about coincidence. I saw it last night on a national tv channel. Great to see how Dave Grohl started with Foo Fighters as a 1 man band and how his band got bigger and more famous with the years.

Did anyone watch Zeitgeist?

I've seen all three Zeitgeist movies. I like parts 2 and 3 of the first movie, and the first halves of the 2nd and 3rd sequel.

"The Venus Project"? Cleverly designed but not possible.

Anyway, interesting to watch.

Btw, these movies have already been discussed here:

http://www.mygnrforu...1

I saw Foo Fighters: Back And Forth last night, it was actually pretty interesting. I'm not a big Foo Fighters fan, but it was pretty cool seeing how the band came to be. The videos of them recording the new album were pretty cool.

I came in this thread to suggest this...great documentary. I'm a pretty big fan, but I never thought of them as a "band" as compared to Dave Grohl and whoever he needs to play the songs. It was nice to have that perception changed.

Reading this thread made me think of a documentary I saw many years ago called Forgotten Silver.

I remember how fascinated I was by it, so I just google'd it... And found out that it is a mockumentary starring only actors, and that the New Zealand filmmaker Colin McKenzie never lived. :(

Fuck Peter Jackson.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Countdown to Zero.

about proliferation of nukes around the world. how easy it is to make one and for terrorists to get one etc.

Last Train Home. a real downer one. about lives of migrant workers in china. watch this only if you're man enough.

Plastic is one I want to see. about theory or reality that we won't have enough oil in 10 years, hence plastic is on the way out.

• 6 months later...
Guest Len B'stard

Honestly, UFOs and that, it's such a load of bollocks. Some Nightclubs lights reflecting off the sky at night and everyone goes all ray guns and time machines, ridiculous :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I've watched some BBC documentary series lately:

• Wonders of the Solar System (5 episodes): Excellent documentary made by a young physicist from the University of Manchester. It's in the style of Cosmos really (name drops both Sagan and Cosmos as an inspiration a few times in this and the sequel): as opposed to the typical American space doc where they attempt to make everything look spectacular, this is more poetic and contemplative. It's that style where the scientist tries (and succeeds I'd say) to instill the awe that the universe provokes. Visually it's astonishing. Very interesting too, because it doesn't try to give you a complete picture, instead it focuses on certain details so it can very much in depth. If you like space documentaries I wholeheartedly recommend it.
  • Wonders of the Universe (4 episodes): Sequel to the above. Not quite as impressive as the first series, but still very good. Suffers a bit from having a magnificent first episode that the other three can't quite follow up. If you liked the first series then you should watch this too.
  • The Normans (3 episodes): About the Normans and their impact on Europe: Normandy, England, Italy and the Middle East. It's decent. Worth watching if you like history.
  • Secret Life of the National Grid (3 episodes): Misleading title. Some interesting stuff about the Grid itself and how it works but mostly a history of electricity generation and consumption in UK. Energy policy too and the political issues that come with it: ie miners' strikes in the 70s.
  • The Trap: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom (4 episodes): Hair-raising at times. It's about different ideologies, views on what freedom is or what it should be and how they influence politics, war, business etc. One thing though: I don't know much about most of what's in there but there was a section on game theory which I know a bit about and they over-dramatized the concept severely, so there's a chance the whole thing blows certain things out of proportion. Anyway, very interesting.
  • Seven Ages of Britain (7 episodes): Presented by David Dimbleby. Outstanding! History of art in Britain and how it reflected history itself and changes in society. Now I'm normally very unenthusiastic about art, so I wasn't gonna watch it once I saw the first few minutes and what it's about (I had downloaded it without knowing what it's about). But I gave it a chance anyway and I'm glad I did. Dimbleby is a masterful presenter. He makes a wonder out of everything. His child-like enthusiasm is infectious. And, where other history and art documentaries are typically lectures with a visual aid, here there;s a feeling of interaction. You feel like you're there and the presenter is speaking to you personally. Not to mention that he is extremely entertaining and funny and fun to watch. Brilliant. I absolutely recommend this.
I have a few more waiting:
  • Stephen Fry in America (7 episodes): I'm about half way through this. Stephen Fry is always entertaining to watch. Problem is there's too much they tried to cram into too little time here. It should have had a longer run, like 15 episodes. I'm sure they had the footage.
  • Story of India (6 episodes)
  • The Virtual Revolution (4 episodes)

Anyway, congrats to the BBC, they make excellent documentaries. Go here and you're bound to find plenty of quality programs.

Edited by GivenToFly

• 4 years later...

Warriors
A documentary on a Maasai warriors cricket team. Excellent. Beautiful cinematography. Goes on about female circumcision which is a polemical topic these days.

Out of the Ashes
About the Afghan cricket team. What a remarkable story!! A team that could not have started from more detrimental circumstances (exile, Taliban and sharia law, invasion and occupation) climbs to a top tier of sport excellence - a situation that has continued as they defeated the Windies (albiet minus Gayle) and wobbled England in the last T20 World Cup!! They are probably the best associate nation now.

Death of a Gentleman
Rewatch. Must watch for any one concerned about the sport of cricket.

Ken Burns' Civil War
Finally managed to see the thing in one showing (well, split over a few nights). Brilliant. I'm definitely pro-South haha. Long live Dixie and Marse Robert. Kill all Yankees.

On 03/02/2012 at 7:41 PM, GivenToFly said:

I've watched some BBC documentary series lately:

• Wonders of the Solar System (5 episodes): Excellent documentary made by a young physicist from the University of Manchester. It's in the style of Cosmos really (name drops both Sagan and Cosmos as an inspiration a few times in this and the sequel): as opposed to the typical American space doc where they attempt to make everything look spectacular, this is more poetic and contemplative. It's that style where the scientist tries (and succeeds I'd say) to instill the awe that the universe provokes. Visually it's astonishing. Very interesting too, because it doesn't try to give you a complete picture, instead it focuses on certain details so it can very much in depth. If you like space documentaries I wholeheartedly recommend it.
  • Wonders of the Universe (4 episodes): Sequel to the above. Not quite as impressive as the first series, but still very good. Suffers a bit from having a magnificent first episode that the other three can't quite follow up. If you liked the first series then you should watch this too.
  • The Normans (3 episodes): About the Normans and their impact on Europe: Normandy, England, Italy and the Middle East. It's decent. Worth watching if you like history.
  • Secret Life of the National Grid (3 episodes): Misleading title. Some interesting stuff about the Grid itself and how it works but mostly a history of electricity generation and consumption in UK. Energy policy too and the political issues that come with it: ie miners' strikes in the 70s.
  • The Trap: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom (4 episodes): Hair-raising at times. It's about different ideologies, views on what freedom is or what it should be and how they influence politics, war, business etc. One thing though: I don't know much about most of what's in there but there was a section on game theory which I know a bit about and they over-dramatized the concept severely, so there's a chance the whole thing blows certain things out of proportion. Anyway, very interesting.
  • Seven Ages of Britain (7 episodes): Presented by David Dimbleby. Outstanding! History of art in Britain and how it reflected history itself and changes in society. Now I'm normally very unenthusiastic about art, so I wasn't gonna watch it once I saw the first few minutes and what it's about (I had downloaded it without knowing what it's about). But I gave it a chance anyway and I'm glad I did. Dimbleby is a masterful presenter. He makes a wonder out of everything. His child-like enthusiasm is infectious. And, where other history and art documentaries are typically lectures with a visual aid, here there;s a feeling of interaction. You feel like you're there and the presenter is speaking to you personally. Not to mention that he is extremely entertaining and funny and fun to watch. Brilliant. I absolutely recommend this.

I have a few more waiting:

• Stephen Fry in America (7 episodes): I'm about half way through this. Stephen Fry is always entertaining to watch. Problem is there's too much they tried to cram into too little time here. It should have had a longer run, like 15 episodes. I'm sure they had the footage.
  • Story of India (6 episodes)
  • The Virtual Revolution (4 episodes)

Anyway, congrats to the BBC, they make excellent documentaries. Go here and you're bound to find plenty of quality programs.

There was also an excellent documentary on China - it might have been called ''A History of China''; make sure you watch it.