Nevermind or Appetite

Butters

Although I agree with u on GNR killing off hair metal, I dont think Nevermind is overated. Thats just an opinion. You can never come up with a solid fact that it is or is not overated.

But back to the GNR killing off hair metal thing, the fact that when Nirvana and GNR were both at their peak at around the same time, they both coexisted. That really speaks to the fact that GNR killed heavy metal because they didnt die like most of the LA rock scene from grunge. And although Axl vs. Kurt, being both rivals or what not, that doesnt take away that fact.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still dont understand why people post threads like this. If you want an "honest" opinion you should go to a neutral music board, you dont come here to get un-biased opinions on guns n roses.

I posted this in response to Nevermind being ranked in the top ten of most list and the reason is always " it killed hair metal " . Nevermind doesnt deserve to be in Zep 4 or Darkside territory, much less Appetie.

By the way there is no such thing as an un-biased opinion, so what is the point of your un-biased opinion?

I still dont understand why people post threads like this. If you want an "honest" opinion you should go to a neutral music board, you dont come here to get un-biased opinions on guns n roses.

I posted this in response to Nevermind being ranked in the top ten of most list and the reason is always " it killed hair metal " . Nevermind doesnt deserve to be in Zep 4 or Darkside territory, much less Appetie.

By the way there is no such thing as an un-biased opinion, so what is the point of your un-biased opinion?

Cobain and Nirvana got a major boost in reputation after his suicide. Pearl Jam would be the band that everybody talks about if Eddie Vedder had shot himself in the head back in 94 instead of Cobain. Jeremy would then be seen as the big grunge anthem and people would talk about how ahead of his time Eddie was with the lyrics about a school shooting. It's all media spin. In actual life Axl was far bigger during the AFD era than either Cobain or Vedder were at their respective peaks. At the end of the day I like the music all 3 of them made.

Edited by ITW 2012

Well it seems like you already had your mind made up before you posted this thread.

Cobain and Nirvana got a major boost in reputation after his suicide. Pearl Jam would be the band that everybody talks about if Eddie Vedder had shot himself in the head back in 94 instead of Cobain. Jeremy would then be seen as the big grunge anthem and people would talk about how ahead of his time Eddie was with the lyrics about a school shooting. It's all media spin. In actual life Axl was far bigger during the AFD era than either Cobain or Vedder were at their respective peaks. At the end of the day I like the music all 3 of them made.

That's just not true Randy.

When Nirvana was being playing on the radio back then, it was different.

Typical radio playlist: Chris Isaak, John Secada, Micheal Jackson, Mr. Big, Hammer, Vanilla Ice, **Nirvana**

Nirvana really did stand out.....

PJ kept grunge around, but Nirvana opened the door.

Typical radio playlist: Chris Isaak, John Secada, Micheal Jackson, Mr. Big, Hammer, Vanilla Ice, **Nirvana**

Nirvana just happened to have their album out first. It's not like Pearl Jam and The Red Hot Chili Peppers wouldn't have become popular if Nirvana didn't exist. Ten actually sold more copies than Nevermind, too. Nirvana was just one of many cool bands. No different than Cream coming out before Hendrix, in my mind.

Edited by ITW 2012

I agree with thy words. All befit the titles of great band.

Nirvana just happened to have their album out first. It's not like Pearl Jam and The Red Hot Chili Peppers wouldn't have become popular if Nirvana didn't exist. Ten actually sold more copies than Nevermind, too. Nirvana was just one of many cool bands. No different than Cream coming out before Hendrix, in my mind.

I agree

Edited by Sir Lancelot

I always thought everyone agreed that hair metal killed off hair metal... to many poison types if you ask me. I know some people would throw warrant in there, but their Dog Eat Dog album wasn't hair metal and it sold modertly well even in '95 for still being considered "hair metal"... But if i had to chose, AFD helped start the decline with the heavier edge, but Nevermind closed the door at the end.

I always thought everyone agreed that hair metal killed off hair metal... to many poison types if you ask me. I know some people would throw warrant in there, but their Dog Eat Dog album wasn't hair metal and it sold modertly well even in '95 for still being considered "hair metal"... But if i had to chose, AFD helped start the decline with the heavier edge, but Nevermind closed the door at the end.

It really didn't. The only difference between gnr and every other hair metal band?

Gnr cursed.

that was a big deal back then.

It really didn't. The only difference between gnr and every other hair metal band?

Gnr cursed.

that was a big deal back then.

it was more then that. they didnt have poppy songs or bleeched hair standing 10 miles high. they had a darker tone to them, the closet hair bands ever got to that was the occansional power ballad. GnR were different in many was.

The production and the first half of Nevermind is fucking awesome but the album as a whole is way overrated as is Appetite.

Nirvana’s best and most influental album was the unplugged show where you could hear the songs behind the noise and in making you "get" what the noise was all about in the first place, it did a lot more for the band and for music than Nevermind.

For Guns it was probably UYI as these albums got you to sit and invest ten minutes for just a rock song, providing a whole generation with a chance and reason to appreciate music beyond attitude and radio format, wich was something no hair metal or grunge band and no other popular band at the time or even after Guns ever achieved. Rolling Stone called that ego-tripping, for me it was Guns biggest achievement.

As for who or what killed hair metal I'd say it was neither Guns or Nirvana, it was David Hasselhoff and MC Hammer.

There's no one band that should take credit for the beginning of grunge or the end of hair metal. I can think of any number of bands that had their hand in it. I just think at the end of the 80s you had a lot of people who were looking metal, but sounding like Journey and Chicago.

''Unfortunately, Axl Rose embracing Nirvana seemed to confirm Kurt Cobain’s worst fears about signing with a major label. For Cobain, Axl Rose represented everything horrible about corporate rock. On a personal level, he found Rose to be a despicable human being, the epitome of racist, sexist, homophobic, proudly redneck and macho assholes that his music was intended to irritate and destroy.

That Rose was actually more complicated than that—he was just as much of a misfit as Cobain was growing up, and a fairly sensitive guy considering he once called his mother a “cunt” in the song “Bad Obsession”—was beside the issue. Rose signified old-guard, cock-rock superstardom, and Cobain was never more deliberate in his desire to dismantle that institution than in his outspoken criticism of Guns N’ Roses. Cobain’s aversion to turning into Axl Rose bordered on obsession; he claimed to the press that out of the $1 million he made when he was first flush with Nirvana’s success, a relatively modest $300,000 went toward a house, and only $80,000 was spent on other personal expenses. “That’s definitely not what Axl spends in a year,” Cobain said. (A seemingly contradictory story is found in Charles R. Cross’ Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography Of Kurt Cobain, where Cobain and Courtney Love spent two months in Fall 1992 at the fancy Four Seasons Olympic Hotel in Seattle, ringing up an extravagant $36,000 bill before being kicked out. The name they were staying under was Bill Bailey, also known as the original moniker of one Axl Rose.)''

Kurt was fucking creepily obsessed with Axl.

''Unfortunately, Axl Rose embracing Nirvana seemed to confirm Kurt Cobain’s worst fears about signing with a major label. For Cobain, Axl Rose represented everything horrible about corporate rock. On a personal level, he found Rose to be a despicable human being, the epitome of racist, sexist, homophobic, proudly redneck and macho assholes that his music was intended to irritate and destroy.

That Rose was actually more complicated than that—he was just as much of a misfit as Cobain was growing up, and a fairly sensitive guy considering he once called his mother a “cunt” in the song “Bad Obsession”—was beside the issue. Rose signified old-guard, cock-rock superstardom, and Cobain was never more deliberate in his desire to dismantle that institution than in his outspoken criticism of Guns N’ Roses. Cobain’s aversion to turning into Axl Rose bordered on obsession; he claimed to the press that out of the $1 million he made when he was first flush with Nirvana’s success, a relatively modest $300,000 went toward a house, and only $80,000 was spent on other personal expenses. “That’s definitely not what Axl spends in a year,” Cobain said. (A seemingly contradictory story is found in Charles R. Cross’ Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography Of Kurt Cobain, where Cobain and Courtney Love spent two months in Fall 1992 at the fancy Four Seasons Olympic Hotel in Seattle, ringing up an extravagant $36,000 bill before being kicked out. The name they were staying under was Bill Bailey, also known as the original moniker of one Axl Rose.)''

Kurt was fucking creepily obsessed with Axl.

Kurt wanted to be big and decided he'd go after the great white shark, Axl Rose.