When did you first become a GN'R fan?

Encore

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn, you're young! :xmassrudolph: I became a fan back in like 1988 or 1989, when I was about 8 or 9. My brother got the tape for christmas from our aunt, and we used to blare it when we would build jumps for our BMXs with our buddy down the street. man, those were the days. :thumbsup:

EDIT: i'm actually surprised that my mom didn't freak out over the cover, cause back then everything on Oprah, etc., was about how all rock and metal was teaching kids to be devil worshipers, hahha! but, my mom likes SCOM, so i think she knew GNR was pretty harmless.

Edited by nambis

Got AFD on cassette tape in 1988. I remember being in K-Mart with a hand full of one dollar bills I had saved up, staring at the tapes trying to decide what I wanted when my eye happened to stumble across the one with the black cover and skeleton donned cross. I saw the name "Guns N Roses" and remembered seeing them on MTV and thought they were pretty cool...so I made the leap of faith and told the teenage girl working in the electronics department that I wanted it. I remember when I pointed at it behind the glass she said something like "oh, everyone seems to want that one right now".

I took the album home and was never the same again....haha.

Edited by Nintari

my parents had an absolutely massive record collection when i was a kid. all original motown stuff, insanely eclectic.

i came across AFD and just took a liking to all the cartoons, if you could call them that, i suppose...:heart:

it's all coming back now...van halen's "1984" artwork was a big deal to me. baby me thought it was the coolest thing. if i ever had a five year old, i don't think i would want her all in Appetite's booklet.

maybe i've misspoken already - my honorary five year old sister i stayed with for a while wanted to know what i was listening to one day. it wasn't in french, so she didn't understand a word even but loved it. hilarious to watch, despite poor judgement on my part...:lol:

About 2004 I was about 11, mother found an old CD. She blasted the whole album in the car (minus Rocket Queen for some reason :rolleyes: ). Was huge on it though I hated music.

'Rediscovered' AFD in school year 10 (Age 14) and have been listening to something GnR at least once a day since. I've probably had about 5 days where I havent listened to a GnR tune since then.

I owe getting back into Rock to Johnny Depp, I watched Pirates of the Carribean and chose to base some drama class essay on him. I discovered he was into Rock and played occasionally...So i picked up AFD and just got hooked all over again.

Exploiting BMG's retarded buy 11 CD's for the price of 1, except I'd just use my dogs name to fulfill the order.

Bought Live Era because they didn't have a greatest hits yet and I had heard SCOM and WTTJ on the radio and dug 'em. Got the CD's and started flippin' through the tracks until I got to Estranged and was absolutely entranced from then on, then listened to Dust N' Bones and went out and actually bought the rest of their CDs.

:wub:

Fond memories.

I was 12 I think... a WTTJ video came on MTV. Of course I was glued to MTV... Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Def Leopard. When WTTJ appeared, I was like, WTF is this? I like to think I branded the shorthand, WTF, at that very moment.

The rest is history. But then again, so was my last breath.

EDIT: So was Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer. History.

DOUBLE EDIT: Based on your pics in your avatar and sig or whatever the hell they're calling it nowadays, you're exploring your sexuality at this stage of life, aren't you? Thanks for the breath of fresh air and recollection of fond memories of my childhood. Just be warned, there's very rarely popcorn and candy at the end of the roller coaster ride called life once you hit 20 or so. Enjoy the popcorn and candy at the end of your roller coaster ride called flat-out-awesome in your early teens while it lasts.

I certainly wish I would have savored it more knowing what I know now.

Lucky kid you.

Edited by Matt13

I was 12 I think... a WTTJ video came on MTV. Of course I was glued to MTV... Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Def Leopard. When WTTJ appeared, I was like, WTF is this? I like to think I branded the shorthand, WTF, at that very moment.

DOUBLE EDIT: Based on your pics in your avatar and sig or whatever the hell they're calling it nowadays, you're exploring your sexuality at this stage of life, aren't you? Thanks for the breath of fresh air and recollection of fond memories of my childhood. Just be warned, there's very rarely popcorn and candy at the end of the roller coaster ride called life once you hit 20 or so. Enjoy the popcorn and candy at the end of your roller coaster ride called flat-out-awesome in your early teens while it lasts.

Lucky kid you.

15cj5mw.jpg

urm, i'm a 16 year old gurl who just love brinney

Lucky kid you.

15cj5mw.jpg

urm, i'm a 16 year old gurl who just love brinney

You never know nowadays.

Lucky kid you.

Shit man! I thought I had issues!

Fuckin' kiddy fiddlers.

I heard something on the radio to do with "Guns N Roses", and I remember thinking "Hey, aren't they that band that did that Welcome To The Jungle Song"?

I downloaded it when I got home, and within the first day of having it the play count was at about 30. Downloaded SCOM and PC after, loved them. Got AFD for Christmas that year (2006), and the rest is history.

I wasn't really a 'music' person before I got into GnR. I listened to whatever was on the radio. But ever since I first heard AFD in it's entirety I considered myself a music person. Also gotta credit them for inspiring me to pick up the bass and the guitar.

First listened to AFD ( and TSI... ) back in 1996, I was 11.

While I liked it I didn't become a fan.

However, I absolutely loved the first Slash's Snakepit album when it was released, so I suppose I was a Slash fan at the time.

Then Axl started hiring Buckethead, Brain and Robin Finck back in 2002. Absolutely hated him for fucking up both PRIMUS and NINE INCH NAILS.

Was horrified when I first heard that he would hire Ron, back in 2004, who is by far my favourite musician of all time.

Then comes 2006 : said fuck that, might aswell check NuGnR out...

Then the TWAT leak happenned and I fell in love with it.

So I suppose 2006.

1991, I was a little 7 years old kid who loved Schwarzenegger's movies.

I saw the T2-themed video and then heard the song again in the movie. In a couple of weeks I was lucky enough to tape the song off the radio and record the video off the tv.

A couple of months later I found out that an older cousin of mine had both UYI cds, but I didn't have a cd player back then, so I asked him to tape them for me and that was it, I had a new favourite band :xmasssanta:

Of course when I got my first cd player in 1993 UYI I & 2 were among the first records I got (if you wanna know, the others were Europe's Prisoners In Paradise", Slayer's "Season In The Abyss", Alice Cooper's "Hey Stoopid", Iron Maiden's "Live After Death" and Lenny Kravitz's "Are You Gonna Go My Way")

Edited by Twinaleblood

2006. The return of Guns N' Roses was headlining a big news website that was my homepage.

I had already heard from them before on Bon Jovi forums, but that was the first time I got to really know them

Then the next day I went to the dentist and after it my dad took me to his office.

I was using the computer and wanted to listen to some music, but the computer didn't have any. So I entered on a online radio and searched for "Bon Jovi". It showed no results, so I decided to search for Guns N' Roses and finally check it, then I clicked on Welcome To The Jungle, it was the first time I was listening to a Guns N' Roses song.

Then I heard the intro and stopped the song. I was amazed, I was like "OMFG!". I think I heard the intro like 10x before listening to the actual full song.

And then Guitar Hero II with Sweet Child O' Mine...

I also remebered the 1st time I heard Chinese Democracy (the song). It was the Rio '01 bootleg, and I found the song amazing. The riff, the chorus, the synth, but I found the endind awesome, better than the rest, I think the last time they play the chours, in Rio was great, such a big energy.

Edited by ManetsBR

Lucky kid you.

yup, ditto the "double edit"

In 2003, School of Rock came out and gradually started to alter my perception of rock and metal as more than just talentless noise. By 2004 I'd become a massive AC/DC fan and one day when I bought their "Live At Donington" DVD I saw GNR's "Welcome To The Videos" next to it, I sgtarted wondering if they were any good, I vaguely knew Sweet Child O' Mine but that was about it, so I didn't really think about it too much. By early '05 I'd started to want to broaden my horizons beyond AC/DC so I got my best pal from school who was a huge rock and metalhead to give a loan of me his copy of Appetite. It was old and scratched to hell, but on those first, jumpy listenings I knew I'd found something pretty special.

Later that year I joined this board, and I've just never gotten out of this GNR rut since :P.

11 years ago, It was the end of 1999 or the start of 2000, I tuned in to MTV and watched the last 30 seconds of Don't Cry. I loved Axl's screams on top of Slash's guitar so I downloaded the song and played it for 4 or 5 hours on repeat.

A week later I bought UYI 1 and it changed my life. Axl inspired me to front a band as a singer, Slash inspired me to pick up the guitar.

Izzy is also a huge part of what I love about music. (as I later found out)

I bought all the Gn'R albums and then came the Chinese Democracy saga. It thought me what patience really was.

To me Chinese Democracy was worth the insane wait and I love New Guns as much as the old.

Also, one of the best things Gn'R gave to me is dicovering other bands and new music as I was really only into Queen and mainstream music before them.

Guns is still my favorite band.

Edited by Rovim