GUNS N' ROSES' Former Manager (Irving Azoff) Responds To AXL ROSE's Legal Claim

star

Maybe this legal action is, in actual factual actuality, the monumental promotion we've been promised all along!

chinese democracy starts now.

How's it working so far?

between this and a $1.99 cd, its working like a charm

The suit was filed a long time ago yet Chidem did not creep back onto the charts until Best Buy started basically giving them away so you claim that the suit helped promote the album does not hold any water..

i wasnt being serious......

another world tour couldnt bring cd out of the abyss

giving cd away for spare change i found in my couch was the way to go

imagine if lawsuits did coincide with sales, Axl would be on top of the charts

Edited by AngelZ

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this legal action is, in actual factual actuality, the monumental promotion we've been promised all along!

chinese democracy starts now.

How's it working so far?

between this and a $1.99 cd, its working like a charm

The suit was filed a long time ago yet Chidem did not creep back onto the charts until Best Buy started basically giving them away so you claim that the suit helped promote the album does not hold any water..

i wasnt being serious......

another world tour couldnt bring cd out of the abyss

giving cd away for spare change i found in my couch was the way to go

imagine if lawsuits did coincide with sales, Axl would be on top of the charts

i'm guessing you are not being serious again?

AIMIRITE :tongue2:

Rose countersued last May 17, claiming the manager tried to force him to reunite with the original Guns N' Roses band members and failed to properly promote the band's Chinese Democracy CD.

How do you define 'properly promote' ?

While under Azoff management, the album was released. Azoff succeeded where other's had failed.

Azoff (for all we know) got Axl the Best Buy deal. For such an ill received album lacking in hits, Azoff did Axl good.

Since then an now, Axl has appeared on stage with Duff.

Considering Axl did zero promotion of ChiDem I think he has a pretty week argument blaming the lack of promotion on Azoff..If he thought Azoff was not getting it done why didn't he switch Managers then and why not do some interviews and quick videos to promote the release?

I don't think Axl is going to win this one. He may settle with Azoff but I can see him paying the guy something....Since Azoff has an inhouse staff of lawyers he is paying anyway to fight this suit for him he can bleed Axl if the case drags on..Axl should settle and move on............In the end he is going to pay more than the suit was for IMHO just to be the last man standing......

You should read the specific complaints cited in the countersuit before dismissing its validity. There are specifics that are interesting to read to say the least.

Ali

I read the complete countersuit Ali and the accusations are going to be difficult to prove on Axl's lawyers part. Axl complaining that Azoff did not promote him is pretty laughable since he did not lift a finger to promote the album himself even after Azoff was out of the picture and has done nothing to promote it other than tour to this day. We have no idea what plans Azoff might have proposed to Axl only to be rejected same with the record label. Pretty weak defense on his part...Also think he will have a hard time proving Azoff sabotaged ChiDem in an effort to force a reunion.....

Personally I think Axl's lawyers filed the countersuit as a defensive measure..Throw as much shit against the wall and see what sticks and try to muddy the water of Azoffs suit as much as possible...Why did Axl wait for Azoffs suit to file if Azoff fucked him over so badly? if they really had a case it would have made sense for them to file first as we know how much Axl loves to sue people......

When all is said and done I think Azoff either wins a settlement or the suit gets thrown out of court as I doubt Axl gets any money from Azoff...Either way Axl loses in the end as his lawyer fees will most likely exceed the pocket change Azoff is sueing for......

No offense CR, but I think your disdain for Axl is allowing you to dismiss the claims in the countersuit far too easily. Like I said, the fact is that it is the manager's job to arrange promotional and marketing opportunities and the artists' job to execute on those plans. What Axl himself has done on his own as far as promotion isn't relevant to Azoff not honoring his fiduciary duties, and doesn't absolve Azoff of his duties.

We do have an idea that a Van Halen tour was proposed and rumored that never happened. That has never been denied and even back in 2009 there were rumors of that tour going around.

As far as the forcing of a reunion, it will be difficult to prove, but Azoff's history certainly makes it plausible.

Who filed first or second is immaterial to the validity of the claims themselves. Axl was on tour in March of 2010, so who knows, it could be that he was going to deal with the issue after the South American leg of the tour.

There are many more specifics, including tour planning, budget calculations, the 2nd Tokyo date cancellation, the abrupt pulling of the Canadian VIP packages, the draft booklet release, the streaming of the album on MySpace, etc. that Azoff still has to answer about. I'm curious to hear what his defense will be.

I think this will be settled out of court sooner or later. I don't think it will be easy for Azoff to claim he is owed commissions if he did make the mistakes that are claimed. If those allegations are true, then he half-assed his job at best, and is also trying to claim commission for shows that weren't even finalized until after he was out.

Ali

This isn't in defense of Azoff, but he wound up taking control of Ticketmaster, and it's likely he passed on his duties to someone who works for him. That didn't sit well with Axl and he said fuck it.

We don't know what was in the contract. But I'm pretty sure someone like Azoff is going to know everything that was in that contract. But the question is whether or not Axl can have that contract ripped up by Azoff bailing on the band to run TM.

This isn't in defense of Azoff, but he wound up taking control of Ticketmaster, and it's likely he passed on his duties to someone who works for him. That didn't sit well with Axl and he said fuck it.

We don't know what was in the contract. But I'm pretty sure someone like Azoff is going to know everything that was in that contract. But the question is whether or not Axl can have that contract ripped up by Azoff bailing on the band to run TM.

Okay,let's start here,firstly the initial lawsuit filed by Azoff was addressed to a PKA,or previously known name,that hasn't been valid for years,that clearly shows malice on Azoffs part,the tweet Azoff sent out is not likely to reflect positively on him either,that said,the "monumental promotion" did not materialize,unless you consider a crappy cardboard tower placed ineffectively among all best buys gadgets during the Christmas shopping season,contrast that with "black ice" as well as "death magnetic" promotions,in addition,the booklet was obviously a fucked up rush job,the three covers were not made available to the general public,the purported VH tour failed to occur,If this countersuit was deemed frivolous it would not be allowed,I'm targeting Azoff and not Gould,who is a drunken buffoon,as well as a puppet for Azoff,I sincerely believe this will be Azoffs undoing,as he is under scrutiny by the antitrust committee since getting the ticketmaster/live nation monopoly,it was high time someone had the balls to stand up to Azoff,with his history of reuniting bands, he may have used his bully tactics to mistreat and manipulate other artists to "cooperate" with him,and his agenda,Chinese Democracy deserved much better promotion than Azoff provided,and it would not surprise me in the least for him to have actually sabotage the Album, I'm betting on GNR to take this pompous,self important,clown down a few notches,the higher you climb,the further you fall,and although admittedly Azoff is a power in the music industry,he is not immune to justice prevailing,or being responsible for his abuse of power,and his shoddy treatment of GNR.

Rose countersued last May 17, claiming the manager tried to force him to reunite with the original Guns N' Roses band members and failed to properly promote the band's Chinese Democracy CD.

How do you define'properly promote' ?

While under Azoff management, the album was released. Azoff succeeded where other's had failed.

Azoff (for all we know) got Axl the Best Buy deal. For such an ill received album lacking in hits, Azoff did Axl good.

dude?! what?! are for real?

to get the album out - that is to distribute it is one thing - that's the deal with Best Buy.

ill received album lacking in hits - you fucker!

what is a hit, but a song with a video?

or you still leave in lala lend were you make believe that AFD had hits before any of them got a video?

read some history man! and mind you that was 1987/1989 we are talking about not 2008 when the age of the internet is getting stronger- that is the visual image has become even greater in importance then it did before!

or do you believe that YUI hits are anything but good songs with a video, who got that way to be heard by the masses,

look man, radio is long gone, you hear......... there is were the importance of radio is in marketing a music product.

it's more like the radios need the music this days to be alive.

and you still ask How do you define'properly promote' ?

well that would be a properly promote

- it's about advertising the product man, that is you make a nice video for a song, get it played on the main music-videos channels then hit the internet with it! what else!? dumb ass!

do you doubt that any of the songs from Chinese Democracy that would got a music video, won't become a hit,

that is a rock hit not a pop-hit!? tell me in my face, tell me in my face - it's from zohan -

Chinese Democracy, Better, Shacler's, TWAT, ITW, Sorry, Street of Dreams, Cather, IRS, Madagascar, This I Love, Prostitute, did I left any? B) they all have the potential of becoming with a video.

get interviews with band members - best will be with the whole actual band in one place - as is happened in Dubai or wherever in middle-est! or do you honestly believe that's somebody's else job to do it but the manager?

get a working internet site for the band!

that's about promotion also, capisce?

how is this for a good post?! ha!? :D

hope you don't get that offended by my adjectives, but your question man, just got to me.

Good music sells. Bad music don't sell.

Britney Spears has got the number 1 spot. That's good music?

Britney fans like Britney music. That's their choice, and not ours to judge, weather you or I like her music or not. It makes sense to say, Britney must have more fans than Axl does right now.

to get the album out - that is to distribute it is one thing - that's the deal with Best Buy.

or you still leave in lala lend were you make believe that AFD had hits before any of them got a video?

read some history man! and mind you that was 1987/1989 we are talking about not 2008 when the age of the internet is getting stronger- that is the visual image has become even greater in importance then it did before!

or do you believe that YUI hits are anything but good songs with a video, who got that way to be heard by the masses,

look man, radio is long gone, you hear......... there is were the importance of radio is in marketing a music product.

- it's about advertising the product man, that is you make a nice video for a song, get it played on the main music-videos channels then hit the internet with it! what else!? dumb ass!

do you doubt that any of the songs from Chinese Democracy that would got a music video, won't become a hit,

that is a rock hit not a pop-hit!? tell me in my face, tell me in my face - it's from zohan -

Chinese Democracy, Better, Shacler's, TWAT, ITW, Sorry, Street of Dreams, Cather, IRS, Madagascar, This I Love, Prostitute, did I left any? B) they all have the potential of becoming with a video.

get interviews with band members - best will be with the whole actual band in one place - as is happened in Dubai or wherever in middle-est! or do you honestly believe that's somebody's else job to do it but the manager?

hope you don't get that offended by my adjectives, but your question man, just got to me.

Britney fans like Britney music. That's their choice, and not ours to judge, weather you or I like her music or not. It makes sense to say, Britney must have more fans than Axl does right now.

The problem is not that we are judging Britney fans, it's that you are saying if music doesn't sell in a certain region then it must be bad music and as I said earlier it's a fallacy to believe what is most popular must also be the best.

The problem is not that we are judging Britney fans, it's that you are saying if music doesn't sell in a certain region then it must be bad music and as I said earlier it's a fallacy to believe what is most popular must also be the best.

Imo, if some lame asswipe likes the Brittany shit,let them fall prey to their own tastes, its peer pressure and the temporal songs de jour that has the USA in its lethal grip of monotony,at the present time,you can lead a horse to water but if they prefer refuse and contaminants,leave them to it

strange isnt it how the media reports these things

Death and Taxes said of the suit

"Not willing to face up to the fact that it was a complete dud, Axl Rose is suing his former manager Irving Azoff for allegedly sabotaging sales of comeback album Chinese Democracy."

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/tag/axl-rose-sue-irving-azoff/

cant find the other example i was thinking of right now, but so many of them seem to acting like Axl is the bad guy for sticking up for himself, his band and HIS intellectual and creative property. I find that disgusting journalism!

can you imagine if somebody that the media liked more like Elton John or Bowie were in a similar position to Axl right now? they would be hailed as the saving grace of music and bastians of truth sticking up for the smaller artist again the big bad Azzoff. why do they still have to be negative about Axl?

How do you define 'properly promote' ?

Considering Axl did zero promotion of ChiDem I think he has a pretty week argument blaming the lack of promotion on Azoff..If he thought Azoff was not getting it done why didn't he switch Managers then and why not do some interviews and quick videos to promote the release?

I don't think Axl is going to win this one. He may settle with Azoff but I can see him paying the guy something....Since Azoff has an inhouse staff of lawyers he is paying anyway to fight this suit for him he can bleed Axl if the case drags on..Axl should settle and move on............In the end he is going to pay more than the suit was for IMHO just to be the last man standing......

You should read the specific complaints cited in the countersuit before dismissing its validity. There are specifics that are interesting to read to say the least.

Ali

I read the complete countersuit Ali and the accusations are going to be difficult to prove on Axl's lawyers part. Axl complaining that Azoff did not promote him is pretty laughable since he did not lift a finger to promote the album himself even after Azoff was out of the picture and has done nothing to promote it other than tour to this day. We have no idea what plans Azoff might have proposed to Axl only to be rejected same with the record label. Pretty weak defense on his part...Also think he will have a hard time proving Azoff sabotaged ChiDem in an effort to force a reunion.....

Personally I think Axl's lawyers filed the countersuit as a defensive measure..Throw as much shit against the wall and see what sticks and try to muddy the water of Azoffs suit as much as possible...Why did Axl wait for Azoffs suit to file if Azoff fucked him over so badly? if they really had a case it would have made sense for them to file first as we know how much Axl loves to sue people......

When all is said and done I think Azoff either wins a settlement or the suit gets thrown out of court as I doubt Axl gets any money from Azoff...Either way Axl loses in the end as his lawyer fees will most likely exceed the pocket change Azoff is sueing for......

No offense CR, but I think your disdain for Axl is allowing you to dismiss the claims in the countersuit far too easily. Like I said, the fact is that it is the manager's job to arrange promotional and marketing opportunities and the artists' job to execute on those plans. What Axl himself has done on his own as far as promotion isn't relevant to Azoff not honoring his fiduciary duties, and doesn't absolve Azoff of his duties.

We do have an idea that a Van Halen tour was proposed and rumored that never happened. That has never been denied and even back in 2009 there were rumors of that tour going around.

As far as the forcing of a reunion, it will be difficult to prove, but Azoff's history certainly makes it plausible.

Who filed first or second is immaterial to the validity of the claims themselves. Axl was on tour in March of 2010, so who knows, it could be that he was going to deal with the issue after the South American leg of the tour.

There are many more specifics, including tour planning, budget calculations, the 2nd Tokyo date cancellation, the abrupt pulling of the Canadian VIP packages, the draft booklet release, the streaming of the album on MySpace, etc. that Azoff still has to answer about. I'm curious to hear what his defense will be.

I think this will be settled out of court sooner or later. I don't think it will be easy for Azoff to claim he is owed commissions if he did make the mistakes that are claimed. If those allegations are true, then he half-assed his job at best, and is also trying to claim commission for shows that weren't even finalized until after he was out.

Ali

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of the case, and I have no idea who is right and who is wrong, my guess it'll be shades of grey as per usual.

But what puzzles me is why did Axl not promote the album?

Being an established name and a man of no inconsiderable means he could of promoted the album as much or as little as he liked?

As it was there was some promotion neaspaper ads, radio and TV ads etc but nothing featuring fresh input from Axl.

Even if he had already fallen out with Azoff behind the scenes, it would still makes sense for him to promote the album? Indeed surely it would be incumbent on him if he believed Azoff was not going to do it?

The idea that Azoff could stop Axl promoting the album if he wanted to doesn't seem to add up?

SO you have to think Axl didn;t promote teh album because he didn't want to. This question then becomes why?

Did Axl not promote the album to get back at Azoff? In which case I think he prolly hurt himself alot more than he could ever have hurt Azoff.

Or was Axl consideirng the whole reunion thing? But either got cold feet or decided he didn't like the terms?

Baz

This sounds really major lawsuit? This is really sad for Axl whatever happens. It's not surprising he won't settle. He never backs down does he! Could that be something to do with Azoff addressing him as Bill Bailey? That had to hurt! Why would Azoff do that? Is he just an asshole?!

Sounds to me like your making excuses for Mr Rose :D

"Not willing to face up to the fact that it was a complete dud, Axl Rose is suing his former manager Irving Azoff for allegedly sabotaging sales of comeback album Chinese Democracy."

cant find the other example i was thinking of right now, but so many of them seem to acting like Axl is the bad guy for sticking up for himself, his band and HIS intellectual and creative property. I find that disgusting journalism!

can you imagine if somebody that the media liked more like Elton John or Bowie were in a similar position to Axl right now? they would be hailed as the saving grace of music and bastians of truth sticking up for the smaller artist again the big bad Azzoff. why do they still have to be negative about Axl?

Fair or not that is what happens when you fuck over people and treat the press like shit. Axl has burned a lot of bridges in the past so why should you be surprised that no one, other than his fans on the forums. support him when negative shit happens to him.

As the saying goes "be careful how you treat people on the way up top because you might meet them on the way down"

Sorry, man, but that is bullshit to a certain extent. Axl has ignored the press for many years. That is not "treating them like shit" as in the entire entity of the music press. Yes, he's had issues with specific journalists and obviously doesn't like doing press. But, that in and of itself isn't treating the entity of the press like shit. And certainly, that doesn't explain why this particular journalist I've never heard of has issues with Axl. This journalist making snide remarks about Axl is simply an example of following as others have done, a sheep mentality.

Ali

Fair or not that is what happens when you fuck over people and treat the press like shit. Axl has burned a lot of bridges in the past so why should you be surprised that no one, other than his fans on the forums. support him when negative shit happens to him.

As the saying goes "be careful how you treat people on the way up top because you might meet them on the way down"

Sorry, man, but that is bullshit to a certain extent. Axl has ignored the press for many years. That is not "treating them like shit" as in the entire entity of the music press. Yes, he's had issues with specific journalists and obviously doesn't like doing press. But, that in and of itself isn't treating the entity of the press like shit. And certainly, that doesn't explain why this particular journalist I've never heard of has issues with Axl. This journalist making snide remarks about Axl is simply an example of following as others have done, a sheep mentality.

Ali

Axl is the Richard Nixon of the music industry. For 15 years, ever since Slash left, the press have had a lot of fun. A lot of fun. And they've had an opportunity to attack him and I think he's given as good as he's taken. The press must recognize that they have a right and a responsibility, if they are against a musician, give him the shaft, but also recognize, if they give him the shaft, put one lonely reporter on the case who will report what the guy actually says now and then.

Ali

With all due respect Ali unless you know the reporter you have no idea why he badmouthed Axl. Maybe he requested interviews in the past and was refused or maybe his boss has an issue with Axl. It could be something as simple as refusing him back stage access at a concert we just don't know why this particular person has a bug up his ass over Axl.

We don't know why this particular reporter has an issue with Axl but you can't deny Axl has treated members of the Press like shit in the past..... go read the three articles I posted about RinRII if you want to see how badly Axl treated memebrs of the press. The whole fiasco of he demanding the press sign contracts giving him editorial control over their reports left a bad taste in a lot of writers mouths.

I don't doubt there is some sheep mentality with some of the press but Axl hasn't been exactly accomodating to them over the years so the bad press is should not come as a surprise

Axl refusing this guy an interview or backstage access is not "treating him like shit". His boss having an issue with Axl is not Axl treating this reporter like shit. All of the possible reasons you cited for this reporter's bitterness are not treating this reporter personally like shit.

I acknowledged that Axl has had issues with SOME members of the press, but the fact is in large part for the last 15+ years, he has ignored the press. Not treated them like anything, shit or otherwise. So, what explanation is there for so many members of the press taking potshots at Axl when he's likely never interacted with the majority of them on any personal level? I believe it is the sheep mentality: it is fashionable for the people in the press to take potshots at Axl.

Ali

Ali

With all due respect Ali unless you know the reporter you have no idea why he badmouthed Axl. Maybe he requested interviews in the past and was refused or maybe his boss has an issue with Axl. It could be something as simple as refusing him back stage access at a concert we just don't know why this particular person has a bug up his ass over Axl.

We don't know why this particular reporter has an issue with Axl but you can't deny Axl has treated members of the Press like shit in the past..... go read the three articles I posted about RinRII if you want to see how badly Axl treated memebrs of the press. The whole fiasco of he demanding the press sign contracts giving him editorial control over their reports left a bad taste in a lot of writers mouths.

I don't doubt there is some sheep mentality with some of the press but Axl hasn't been exactly accomodating to them over the years so the bad press is should not come as a surprise

Axl refusing this guy an interview or backstage access is not "treating him like shit". His boss having an issue with Axl is not Axl treating this reporter like shit. All of the possible reasons you cited for this reporter's bitterness are not treating this reporter personally like shit.

I acknowledged that Axl has had issues with SOME members of the press, but the fact is in large part for the last 15+ years, he has ignored the press. Not treated them like anything, shit or otherwise. So, what explanation is there for so many members of the press taking potshots at Axl when he's likely never interacted with the majority of them on any personal level? I believe it is the sheep mentality: it is fashionable for the people in the press to take potshots at Axl.

Ali

Again Ali you have no idea why this reporter or any of the others who give Axl negative press have an issue with Axl. It may be 15 years since Axl gave an meaningful interview but the press has a long memory and a lot of the reporters he treated badly back then are either still writing or are editors now so it could come down to an old grudge...

And while you may not think refusing and interview or acess is treating them like shit but that is their job and if Axl does not cooperate they are less inclined to write postive things about him......I am a big sports fan and I see this all the time with athletes where they don't talk to the press and the press never writes anything positive about them or gives them the benefit of the doubt they would give others who do talk to them. IMHO not talking to the press most likley is treating them like shit in their minds......... it is all a matter of perspective.

And many, many of the reporters writing about him today never worked with him years ago. A friend of mine from high school has written for Spin and MTV News and has taken potshots at Axl in his work and he was not around in the GN'R heyday. So, honestly, a lot of these journalists, my friend included, are just jumping on the bandwagon and taking potshots at Axl because it is fashionable. And some editor directing their writers to write about Axl in a negative light because of some old grudge reflects more poorly on the editors/writers than on Axl for allowing some old issue to affect the honest and integrity in which they conduct their work.

Yes, not wanting to do an interview is absolutely not treating a journalist like shit. If there is a request for an interview, then that is tantamount to asking a question, "are you willing to do an interview with us?" If the "no" option is chosen, that is the subject's right. It is not a personal attack or insult to the journalist in any way, shape or form. It is not treating them like shit. It is merely declining a request, which is within Axl's right as the subject of the interview. If a journalist takes Axl's declining of an interview request as treating them like shit, then, frankly, that's their problem. Don't ask someone a question and give them the option of saying "yes" or "no" and then accuse them of treating you like shit for taking the option you didn't want them to.

Ali

I kinda look at it like this now-I think there's an anger at the industry that has been buiding in Axl for years and it's all coming to a head. He's never really had support. All the industry people want is a money grabbing reunion. In 2002 interview he expressed disappointment over the fact that the band had been left to their own devices, he had to take on way more jobs than he's supposed to (manager, A&R man etc.. He said there's lack of support of older bands. This has all been documented I don't need to go on. Maybe Axl will find some peace from this outcome. Hope so!

I read this and was very surprised that this guy was trying to force Axl into an original GNR reunion. Part of me was hoping he would have a leg to stand on, so there would HAVE to be a GNR reunion.

Oh well, guess not.

As for how many lawsuites Axl has going on, his lawyers are probably the ones going crazy trying to juggle them all.

Axl doesn't worry about nothing because worrying is a waste of his fuckin time! lol

Triology I am not sure you understand the entertainment business at all. There is a lot you should learn. I would take a break from posting and do some research because you are really posting a lot without adding much susbtance. When you release an album that people have been waiting for over a decade, you do a real interview.

Does the Billboard Q&A with Del count? every answer seemed to be about cancer...

Triology I am not sure you understand the entertainment business at all. There is a lot you should learn. I would take a break from posting and do some research because you are really posting a lot without adding much susbtance. When you release an album that people have been waiting for over a decade, you do a real interview.

Does the Billboard Q&A with Del count? every answer seemed to be about cancer...

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

This thread is concerning the upcoming legal actions and possibilities

und where would those stand at the moment?

I surmise reading comprehension eludes you,the current state of affairs regarding said pending legal suit is posted in this thread,also is widely available on "other" forums. :rolleyes:

so it's not all good news then?

i don't want to get this thread any more off track, but will you dumbfucks STOP WHINING about axl's lack of media interviews? SERIOUSLY - it's the same fucking people whining about the same fucking shit day after day, year after year. If you want a fucking reality show, go watch MTV, or better yet that lame-ass Bret Michaels Rock of Love show. but if you're here for the band, put on a fucking record and forget about it already. There are TONS of artists who aren't media whores, and thus their career has substance besides what starbucks they were sited at or whether or not they strapped their baby in the fuckijng carseat. many of my favorite musicians (e.g. Bob Dylan, Thom Yorke/Radiohead) are the same way, and you don't see a bunch of babies whihing about that all the time. i don't mean to be a dick but it gets old... maybe you should find something else to do with your time that complain all the time. :fuckyou: