Is it just me....

Vincent Vega

Not really. I understand them doing it at the time - rebuilding the band, you want people to get the parts down, and be able to hear where things aren't working, combined with Axl probably being too much of a perfectionist - but AFD is a great album. I want to hear new songs, not new takes on old stuff. For the same reason, I don't really want to see Oh My God released on any future albums - we've had it for ages, even if it changes a bit, it's good enough as is.

Just listen to Live Era. Most of the vocals were clearly re-recorded, and I remember reading that Slash re-recorded some solos, too.

I know it's not Appetite, but there's even a part during "Estranged" where you can really notice the new vocals kick in after the original ones (6:49 - "Well I jumped into the river..." is exactly the same as the original live recording, and then New Axl suddenly appears at 6:52 when he sings "Too many times to make it home..."--I just noticed this for the first time the other day, but it's so obvious...even the quality/clarity of the recording suddenly shifts).

It's my opinion--based on what we know of the recording sessions for ChiDem and what was going on with the band--that these were done in '98. I think the vocal track for Madagascar was also recorded around then, because Axl's voice on Live Era's re-dubs sounds almost exactly the same--that kind of higher-pitched, thinner rasp that he had going on, before he altogether lost that gravelly edge.

It's fun for me to hear these recordings over the years because it's usually fairly easy to place the time range songs are from based on Axl's voice--it's just changed remarkably over the years, multiple times.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Just listen to Live Era. Most of the vocals were clearly re-recorded, and I remember reading that Slash re-recorded some solos, too.

I know it's not Appetite, but there's even a part during "Estranged" where you can really notice the new vocals kick in after the original ones (6:49 - "Well I jumped into the river..." is exactly the same as the original live recording, and then New Axl suddenly appears at 6:52 when he sings "Too many times to make it home..."--I just noticed this for the first time the other day, but it's so obvious...even the quality/clarity of the recording suddenly shifts).

It's my opinion--based on what we know of the recording sessions for ChiDem and what was going on with the band--that these were done in '98. I think the vocal track for Madagascar was also recorded around then, because Axl's voice on Live Era's re-dubs sounds almost exactly the same--that kind of higher-pitched, thinner rasp that he had going on, before he altogether lost that gravelly edge.

It's fun for me to hear these recordings over the years because it's usually fairly easy to place the time range songs are from based on Axl's voice--it's just changed remarkably over the years, multiple times.

It was confirmed by Youth (who worked with Axl on CD in 1998) that by around mid 1998, Axl hadn't been sung for nearly 18 months. He also said it was around this time that Axl had planned to re-record AFD with the new band (then composed of Robin, Paul, Tommy, Chris, Dizzy, Billy Howerdel) and release it as a sort of "Greatest Hits" package. Youth's first job, he claimed, was to dissuade Axl from that idea. Duff also claimed in an interview that the live album was being heavily worked on in 1998 but was greatly delayed to the aftershocks of Geffen being sold in January 1999.

It was sometime around May-September 1998 that Axl finally began recording vocals, both for CD and for Live Era. When Brian May had worked with Axl for over a week in December 1999, he claimed Axl had two albums worth just of vocal parts alone by then.

Also, as an aside, after Robin had left the band for the first time in 1999, he gave an interview where he claimed the band had worked on and/or recorded at least 35 songs at that time. And in '96, Slash claimed that between him and Axl there was about 80 new songs.

Edited by Indigo Child

I'd rather have the original remastered.

Amen To That Brother.

Wait just one damn minute, I just got the best idea ever! They should release a 2 CD deluxe remastered edition of AFD with the first album remastered with some bonus tracks (b-sides, such as the demos of Shadow of your Love, Don't Cry & You're Crazy) as disk one & the re-recorded version from '99 as disk 2.

I know it probably won't happen, but i can dream can't I?

Ever since I heard anything about it I've wanted to hear it.

Anyone who says that they don't want to hear it at all it either lying or an idiot. Everyone, regardless of how much, has some curiosity.

So they can't be just "not interested"? That's not an option?

Agreed.

I'm really not interested in a "new" version of AFD and I'm neither lying nor an idiot. :shrugs: That record is perfect as it is.