Kerrang! magazine 2010 Xmas edition

star

To all the Kerrang! nay sayers, don't forget the old saying 'No Such Thing As Bad Publicity'

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

— Oscar Wilde

As the saying goes, there's "no such thing as bad publicity". The reasoning is that even if people are trying to raise a big stink about how some work is immoral, incorrect, offensive, or corrupting the youth of the world, they're still giving it attention and increasing how well-known it is.

Technically, there is such a thing as bad publicity: For example, if it turns out a car model or another product has a flaw that endangers the lives of everyone who uses them, and this is highly publicized, the amount of people buying it is going to steeply drop. This trope refers to a book, show, movie, or anything else that gains popularity because Moral Guardians draw attention to it. Strangely, the Moral Guardians never seem to learn from the fact that they're doing a good job of making their objects of hate more popular. Musicians love this trope.

Whether or not the author of the work purposely made it controversial in order to invoke this phenomenon varies.

Compare Forbidden Fruit, Rated M For Money, Attention Whore, Streisand Effect. See Bile Fascination for when the same thing happens due to rumors of the bad quality of a work. When there is an ostensible moral against something that looks appealing anyway, then Truffaut Was Right.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you'd think someone would've at least rushed in with a quote by now... <_<

I'm not sure why a quote is the only evidence.

Actions speak louder than words.

Peripheral arguments can speak more than explicit mention

(e.g.) if slash says that he loves Axl (which he says i think) everyone will think aah such a nice boy, whereas Axl called slash a cancer, ouch, Axl's a jerk.... that is the explicit part that figures high in the media, BUT if you say that you love Axl and then comment later on that Axl was a sort of a dictator (there was no democracy), that he was always late, that he made them sign over the name, and you sue him - the fact that you said you love Axl doesn't mean much does it?

Honnestly, I'd rather have the both of them shut the fuck up about each other and ACTIVELY pursue their own career but that's just my personnal opinion.

This!

And If they manage to shut up long enough.........maybe........................maybe..........................just maybe in future...........please???

(Just for a little while, than they can go back to do their own thing again. Which I am also enjoying, but please???)

Edited by MBRose

Honnestly, I'd rather have the both of them shut the fuck up about each other and ACTIVELY pursue their own career but that's just my personnal opinion.

I agree, but Slash is in a no win situation here because he gives interviews. And in almost all of them they will continue to ask. And it isn't really reasonable to expect him to say nothing in all of them. though sometimes I wonder if he did just say 'no comment' re Axl questions, would it work for or against him in the long run?

you'd think someone would've at least rushed in with a quote by now... <_<

I'm not sure why a quote is the only evidence.

Actions speak louder than words.

Peripheral arguments can speak more than explicit mention

(e.g.) if slash says that he loves Axl (which he says i think) everyone will think aah such a nice boy, whereas Axl called slash a cancer, ouch, Axl's a jerk.... that is the explicit part that figures high in the media, BUT if you say that you love Axl and then comment later on that Axl was a sort of a dictator (there was no democracy), that he was always late, that he made them sign over the name, and you sue him - the fact that you said you love Axl doesn't mean much does it?

depends if you wanna mix personal stuff with business and put them on the same side of the scale(wrong), I haven't heard him say he "loves" Axl. But the things that you refer to (Axl was a sort of a dictator, that he was always late, that he made them sign over the name) didn't seem like he was saying them to attack, but rather he's telling what happened. Stating reasons why he left, because people ask. It's not even as if he's the only one that's made mention of these acts by Ax.

I agree, but Slash is in a no win situation here because he gives interviews. And in almost all of them they will continue to ask. And it isn't really reasonable to expect him to say nothing in all of them. though sometimes I wonder if he did just say 'no comment' re Axl questions, would it work for or against him in the long run?

I get the impression, when Slash does an interview, he just rolls with it, and keeps it real.

When Axl does an interview, I get the impression some topics are off limits.

I guess that's what makes the 2 of them different. One wants to be so much more in control than the other. No prizes for guessing who.

People blur the line with these alleged personal insults by Slash in regards to Axl. What they actualy mean, in my view, is when Slash pins the break up purely on Axl because it paints a negative picture of Axl which people and obviously the man himself don't agree with. Slash wont come out and say "Axl's a dick" because he has an image and reputation to maintain and he knows he might damage it with such a remark, even if he believes it. Although he has called Axl crazy in the past.

Edited by plonker88

People blur the line with these alleged personal insults by Slash in regards to Axl. What they actualy mean, in my view. Is when Slash pins the break up purely on Axl because it paints a negatove picture of Axl which people and obviously the man himself don't agree with. Slash wont come out and say "Axl's a dick" because he has an image and reputation to maintain and he knows he might damage it with such a remark, even if he believes it. Although he has called Axl crazy in the past.

I wonder if it bothers Axl, Slash being cool, popular, playing guitar, creating great solo's, not throwing comments, playing down those thrown at him, by someone who throws comments all the time. I wonder if Axl reflects everytime he throws a comment, calling people this, calling people that. The pair live in very different minds.

depends if you wanna mix personal stuff with business and put them on the same side of the scale(wrong), I haven't heard him say he "loves" Axl. But the things that you refer to (Axl was a sort of a dictator, that he was always late, that he made them sign over the name) didn't seem like he was saying them to attack, but rather he's telling what happened. Stating reasons why he left, because people ask. It's not even as if he's the only one that's made mention of these acts by Ax.

regardless of his intentions, the media fill their lines with what information they can get. sometimes you say something in good faith but you've got to watch out whom are you telling it to. Slash knows that if he says the things he says it's gonna get used as an assault on Axl (i believe he knows that, he's not a kid). he also knows that the media are not kind to Axl and if he really wishes him well, he would stop commenting for the reasons I mentioned. otherwise, it looks to me like a polite way of being impolite

well, anyway, that's how I see it

Edited by the rush

"I haven't spoken to Slash in ten years," Rose says. "I love the guy, I always wanted everyone to know how great he was"

Thanks Axl, we all love how great slash is too.

Is that a quote?

'was' should read: '(still) is'

"I haven't spoken to Slash in ten years," Rose says. "I love the guy, I always wanted everyone to know how great he was"

Thanks Axl, we all love how great slash is too.

Is that a quote?

'was' should read: '(still) is'

Nope. Axl said he thought he was just talking to the fan to the Korn launch party but it turned out to be a reporter for Rolling Stone and that he actualy said "loved" as in past tense.

It seemed that Axl can't stand that new and old GNR fans still love Slash.. I wonder why not, is Slash!! is not Gilby, Finck o the guy with that ridiculous mask, is SLASH for christ's sake!!!

I don't think he has a problem with people liking Slash because he knows it is a personal and not universal grudge that the two have. What I think he does mind is when people take their liking of Slash and use it as a way to attack or harm the new band whether they have a reason for it or not.

It also probably annoys him how people are so easily brought into the idea of Slash being this easy going, laid back, no grudge mentality sort of guy because it's safe to assume he doesn't see him that way.

I hope one day he will reveal some more info on how he feels about Slash just for the sake of absolute clarity because at the moment there is still a certain amount of speculation.

I do play, have been for almost 3 years now. I'm not great by any stretch of the imagination. But whats your point? Must I also be an expert in economics and diplomacy to criticize my government?

No.

What I suggested was : before you call Ron a "hobo" and Bucket "a kfc guy", you give objectivity a try and realize that while they are certainly not the best candidates to replace Slash in Guns n' Roses ( who is anyway ? ), 99.99% of professional guitar players aren't able to play like them.

I understand why most GnR fans want Slash back and I respect that but I can't understand such level of disrespect for what remain, at least until proved otherwise, fantastic musicians.

Besides, you probably wouldn't call them that if they had been playing in a band called something else. You are mainly hating them for being in GnR while their style is completely different than Slash's.

When was Kerrang last relevant? 2001?

It's about the only UK magazine to cover the metal, rock etc scene every week.

They label themselves as 'the worlds biggest weekly selling rock magazine'

If you want to help out Axl & Co.

Tell us what's rocked your world from 2000 to 2010!

Hmmm.. Slash gets my vote! :D

-

Guns N' Roses to begin work on new album?

"I'm excited to get this one rolling," guitarist DJ Ashba tells Artisan News. "We've been throwing around a bunch of ideas [and] Axl has a lot of good shit up his sleeve. It won't take as long as Chinese Democracy, I promise."

hmmm..

Edited by star