The crushing weight of Estranged

Butters

Does anybody else bleed this song? I used to own a cassette tape with estranged on side 1 and side 2. An hour of estranged. I listen to that tape for months straight and nothing else. I have never gotten over this song. Maybe i havent grown as a human being, but this song still applies to my life in so many ways and I never tire of listening to it. Where i have heard every other GNR song to the point of redundency , this song remains fresh and vital to my soul. Now, if you dont feel the same way, then I dont care. iam just curious to others people stories in regards to this song. Maybe U2's One makes me feel something simliar. If not estranged then what songs makes you feel like nothing else.If you have nothing to add then remain silent. Of course nothing can stop a cunt from being a dude.

Edited by Butters

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody else bleed this song? I used to own a cassette tape with estranged on side 1 and side 2. An hour of estranged. I listen to that tape for months straight and nothing else. I have never gotten over this song. Maybe i havent grown as a human being, but this song still applies to my life in so many ways and I never tire of listening to it. Where i have heard every other GNR song to the point of redundency , this song remains fresh and vital to my soul. Now, if you dont feel the same way, then I dont care. iam just curious to others people stories in regards to this song. Maybe U2's One makes me feel something simliar. If not estranged then what songs makes you feel like nothing else.If you have nothing to add then remain silent. Of course nothing can stop a cunt from being a dude.

I used to have that tape too... To be honest, I remember being so ..amazed and intrigued by whichever side I discovered first that I wasnst even aware the song was on both sides for several weeks! Man was I excited when I found the other half !!! :)

Listening to it in my bedroom as a kid is a vivid memory. Watching the music video brings back vivid memories. I love pulling it up on youtube. Probably the most important GNR song to me.

However, I have gotten over this song. I am no longer "estranged." I still love the song, and the memory of what it used to mean to me is still there. Axl was my hero then. I was immature and didnt know any better. I still have respect for the man for many things, but I surely dont idolize him anymore.

Why am I no longer "estranged" you may wonder? Well, through Jesus Chris I have a relationship with my Creator God. This completes me, fulfills me and brigs me joy - not happiness, because happiness is fleeting and comes and goes like the weather...

We were all created as 3 part beings - body, spirit and soul. We know how to feed the body, and the soul we learn how to appease somewhat, but as many of you know, you still feel an emptiness. Until your spirit is linked with God, you will always have than emptiness. You will try to fill it with anything other than God, because our human nature is that we are rebellious toward God. So we try to fill that void with other things - music, relationships, food, alcohol, drugs, sex, education, power, money, possessions...... and we discover that nothing fills the void, so we do even more of whatever thing we have been trying to fill it with, and more and more and more, and then we start adding more things on top.... I think Axl himself said it best in MRB - "I used to do a little but a little wouldnt do it so the little got more and more, I just kept trying to get a little better said a little better than before..."

I wont continue this discussion on this thread, but if anyone would like discuss in another, I am more than happy.

Edited by gnfnr2006

I have been reading this forum for about a year now and never really got the urge to post until now. I Def know what u mean butters. This song grabbed me about two years ago and hasn't let go. It is slash and axl's best work. The video is pretty cool too. From the riff to the meaning behind the song I find it incredible. A lot of people don't get it but I think it takes a certain personality to really enjoy the song. The people that like it love it and others just don't seem to get it. I listen to it everyday after work and it never gets old. I'd love to be able to play it but I'm sure its beyond normal ability. Axl had a rant a few years back about begging duff and slash to help with the song and I guess I see why but I think once slash took a stab at it he loved the song as well. I hope they play it live again but due to the length and technicality of the song I don't think its gonna happen unfortunately

Edited by Astranged

I used to have that tape too... To be honest, I remember being so ..amazed and intrigued by whichever side I discovered first that I wasnst even aware the song was on both sides for several weeks! Man was I excited when I found the other half !!! :)

Listening to it in my bedroom as a kid is a vivid memory. Watching the music video brings back vivid memories. I love pulling it up on youtube. Probably the most important GNR song to me.

However, I have gotten over this song. I am no longer "estranged." I still love the song, and the memory of what it used to mean to me is still there. Axl was my hero then. I was immature and didnt know any better. I still have respect for the man for many things, but I surely dont idolize him anymore.

Why am I no longer "estranged" you may wonder? Well, through Jesus Chris I have a relationship with my Creator God. This completes me, fulfills me and brigs me joy - not happiness, because happiness is fleeting and comes and goes like the weather...

We were all created as 3 part beings - body, spirit and soul. We know how to feed the body, and the soul we learn how to appease somewhat, but as many of you know, you still feel an emptiness. Until your spirit is linked with God, you will always have than emptiness. You will try to fill it with anything other than God, because our human nature is that we are rebellious toward God. So we try to fill that void with other things - music, relationships, food, alcohol, drugs, sex, education, power, money, possessions...... and we discover that nothing fills the void, so we do even more of whatever thing we have been trying to fill it with, and more and more and more, and then we start adding more things on top.... I think Axl himself said it best in MRB - "I used to do a little but a little wouldnt do it so the little got more and more, I just kept trying to get a little better said a little better than before..."

I wont continue this discussion on this thread, but if anyone would like discuss in another, I am more than happy.

Thank you for your honesty . I was looking for an honest discussion of this song. There is nothing but BS ont his forum. Axl vs Slash, what a joke. does anybody take a sides in a divorce? I belive alot of people have forgotten why they love GNR. I just want to remond people why they fell in love to begin with , and of course most poeple have fallen in love with other bands since, but there is nothing like your first love. I dont belive on god, but you are correct in yoour assumtion of emptinesss , and why not have this discussion here.

Edited by Butters

I don't think I could listen to the same song over and over, but whenever I've listened to Lou Reed's "Berlin" and Bob Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" back to back, prob. a similar experience. It's a good song to listen to when you had a breakup, but an hour of that I don't know...

Thank you for your honesty . I was looking for an honest discussion of this song. There is nothing but BS ont his forum. Axl vs Slash, what a joke. does anybody take a sides in a divorce? I belive alot of people have forgotten why they love GNR. I just want to remond people why they fell in love to begin with , and of course most poeple have fallen in love with other bands since, but there is nothing like your first love. I dont belive on god, but you are correct in yoour assumtion of emptinesss , and why not have this discussion here.

See if you can listen to this and NOT sing along in your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLpbijqEg4U

Edited by Nintari

estranged helped me through a tough time in my life , i would turn to it like medicine and just dive into it for hours ... a masterpiece , i also never tire of coma or locomotive

YES!!! Coma and Locomotive too, estranged is the transendent song off the albums and has never been duplicated. Estaranged speaks to many

I dont belive on god, but you are correct in yoour assumtion of emptinesss , and why not have this discussion here.

Ok, Ill discuss with you if you like.

If you dont believe in God, then I'd like to ask you a few questions.

We all have the same facts to work with. But we all interpret them differently. This is because we all have different "worldviews" A worldview is like a pair of glasses. You dont see the glasses, but you see through them, and they color the way you see the world. Every has presuppositions. They are things that we suppose to be true, before we can investigate anything. We presuppose that our senses are able to perceive reality as it actually is. We presuppose the the world is orderly and that there is a uniformity in nature because this is required in order for us to do science. If we did not have uniformity, meaning that there were no "laws" of nature, we couldnt do scientific testing. So we all have presuppositions. The collection of our presuppositions gives us a worldview. And our worldview helps us to interpret the things we encounter in our world. So the next step is to determine what your worldview is. Is your worldview rational? Is it livable. Is it consistent? Most people have worldviews that are not consistent nor livable, and then profess one worldview, but live another.

So let me ask you your opinion on the following questions. You said you do not believe in God, so then how did the universe come into existence? Was it always in existence, did it created itself, or was it created?

How about life? Where did it come from? And more specifically, where did human life come from?

What is man's purpose on earth?

Everytime this song topic has come up people bring up how it helped them through tough times. That's pretty much why axl created it so I think people relate to those feelings. The title pretty much speaks for the song. If your having a shitty day or are alone its the perfect song to not change your mood but take you through those thoughts in a rocking way. The two solos the lyrics just everything about it made it perfect in its own way. Is it the best song?prob not but for what it is and what it tries to accomplish its fucking awesome.

Edited by Astranged

My favourite GNR song is Estranged. In fact, when the subject of 'favourite songs ever' comes up, I mention this one along with 2 or 3 others. Pretty much everything about this song is brilliant - the lyrics, vocals, guitar, keyboards. I even love the drumming on this one, and was never a huge Sorum fan. Such a complex piece of work that comes together so well.

I guess I may be biased because I love the song so much, but it's also my favourite GNR video. There are some that hate the dolphins but I happen to love it.

There's an element of emotion in there that you rarely hear in popular music. Although Axl has always tried to add this element to his songs, which is one of the reasons they're so good. The lyrics are really dark and meaningful. Perhaps Slash's finest hour on the guitar as well. Just an amazing song on many levels.

Edited by axlsalinger

I'd love to be able to play it but I'm sure its beyond normal ability.

It isn't. Assuming you mean guitar, if you start playing now you can probably do it in 2 years.

There's an element of emotion in there that you rarely hear in popular music. Although Axl has always tried to add this element to his songs, which is one of the reasons they're so good. The lyrics are really dark and meaningful. Perhaps Slash's finest hour on the guitar as well.

Agree

It's such a brilliant song. Haven't heard it in like a year though :lol:

I love this song. I listened to Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged repeatedly while walking for miles after that particularly dark period in my life. I hadn't known then that they made up a video 'trilogy'. They just worked so well together and by the time you got through Estranged it always picked you up a bit. Today, I can still feel the beginning kind of kick me in the gut and the progression emotionally lift me up by the end of the song. It's a brilliant song. It connects Axl and Slash and their incredible talents together so strongly, I can imagine it could be a difficult song for them to listen to today.

There Was A Time make me feel the same way as estranged. I have the same feeling in both songs!

Your feeling and I respect that, but TWAT has nothing to do with Estranged, Estranged has blues guitar and finest Slash solos, beautiful piano layers and his drums sound great, on the other hand, TWAT with his drum loop, basic estructure and poppy style in general, make you feel that you are not listenning the same band that wrote Estranged.

There Was A Time make me feel the same way as estranged. I have the same feeling in both songs!

Your feeling and I respect that, but TWAT has nothing to do with Estranged, Estranged has blues guitar and finest Slash solos, beautiful piano layers and his drums sound great, on the other hand, TWAT with his drum loop, basic estructure and poppy style in general, make you feel that you are not listenning the same band that wrote Estranged.

Just like garden of eden, back off bitch and locomotive...

i'm not comparing estranged and twat. But twat is way more than just a song with drum loop (you should listen to the drums during the guitar solo), basic estructure (are you sure? did you hear the guitar driving all over the song?) and poppy style (????)

Just like garden of eden, back off bitch and locomotive...

i'm not comparing estranged and twat. But twat is way more than just a song with drum loop (you should listen to the drums during the guitar solo), basic estructure (are you sure? did you hear the guitar driving all over the song?) and poppy style (????)

The estructure of TWAT is basic until BH final solo, with "poppy" style I mean it's a lot of electronic elements beside drum that it sounds like hip-hop base, it is NOT a bad song anayway, but away great GNR songs.

Edited by sergiodefenders