CD II Speculation/Discussion/Hopes thread

Vincent Vega

I figured I'd make this thread as this could generate some positive discussion.

I figured we could use it to:

1) Speculate on what the next record(s) may sound like, using either simply our own intuition, statements from Axl and/or the band over the years, stuff we've heard in concert (like that bit of the General), etc

2) Discussion in general about the next record, how long you think it will be, etc etc.

3) Also, to express what we WANT or HOPE to hear on the next record. As in, what kind of sound we'd love to hear, what kind of themes you think/hope the album will explore. I'm sure Axl and the band do read these boards covertly, and while they may not allow our opinions to influence the sound of the next record, at the very least they might find our comments or wants for this next record interesting.

An old, early comment from Axl on post CD-material from back in 1999 was interesting to me:

Loder: How much stuff have you got for this new album? You've been working on this for a long time. Is there just tons of material?

Rose: We've been working on, I don't know, 70 songs.

Loder: Oh!

Rose: "The record will be about, anywhere from 16 to 18 songs, but we recorded at least two albums' worth of material that is solidly recorded. But we are working on a lot more songs than that at the same time... in that way, what we're doing is exploring so, you know, you get a good idea, you save it, and then maybe you come back to it later, or maybe you get a good idea and you go, "That's really cool, but that's not what we're looking for. Okay, let's try something new." You know, basically taking the advance money for the record and actually spending it on the record.

Loder: [Laughs] Not always the case, obviously.

Rose: No, and I don't want to be in a situation again where I have to depend on other people and have [to] start all over. So we have material that we think is too advanced for old Guns fans to hear right now and they would completely hate, because we were exploring the use of computers [along with] everybody really playing their ass off and combining that, but trying to push the envelope a bit. It's like, "Hmm, I have to push the envelope a little too far. We'll wait on that." So we got a list of things......I just wanted to be good enough to be able to contribute what was needed to this main album. It took working on the majority of these things and at least the couple albums' [worth] of material to figure out what should be on the first official Guns album. I wouldn't say it's like, you know, that we recorded a double album, or that we have all of our scraps to be the second one. There is a distinct difference in sound. The second leans probably a little more to aggressive electronica with full guitars, where the first one is definitely more guitar-based."

Edited by Indigo Child

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I frequently wonder how much music Axl has out there (meaning accessible to us somehow) - written under a pen name

It'd be really funny if he did do something like that. Like under a totally obscure name has been releasing a bunch of solo records over the years under our noses.

I could only wish....

This kind of threads are always pointless and end up locked, you're an attention whore, go somewhere else.

Well, threads about Axl's hair, face etc get attacked. Threads about the new band get attacked. What should we talk about? Shoudl no discussion in this section be allowed?

I don't see what's so wrong with speculating on the future album or albums, especially when Axl and people who have worked with him over the years have all confirmed that CD isn't the only material...That there's much more.

I've come to terms with the fact we won't be getting new music for a long time..

Man CD and Kanye's 808's were released at the same time. Since then Kanye's made his masterpiece and that was from scratch...

What the hell is Axl doing.

He has the perfect line up at the moment, just came off from a huge tour, use that high and get in the studio, fuck.

Why are we assuming Axl's going to put a sequel out to "Chinese Democracy"?

When someone says they have hundreds of songs, it's usually rough sketches. How many Appetite era songs wound up on UYI? How many UYI era songs wound up on CD? He might have some really old stuff from 25 years ago in his journals and demos that could wind up being a new song or songs. If there's a follow up tour in the spring and the band members are working on different projects, hopefully Axl's got a backlog of material where they can just go in, record and finish 30 new songs. The way I see it, the band is as tight as they're ever going to get, and he's dealing with a wealth of experience that should flow pretty quickly.

He could just do the Burroughs method and cut up his lyrics, move them around, and see if it fits. Solos can be reworked, readjusted, slowed down, sped up, and rerecorded. He might take something from the mid 90s, do some Pro Tools on it, and come up with something entirely new.

I think the next album should be called "Kubrick", the same way Weezer's named theirs "Hurley", and have it out by Christmas this year. Or just do what Rush did, and put the songs out for sale, and just squash You Tube from posting the new songs for a while. It would be kind of cool if they finished a new song and just put it out for sale as soon as they were done with it. No different than putting "Civil War" out in between albums, and including it later on...or not.

But now that the fans have dealt with the 15 year wait for a new album, anything less than that will come as a surprise.

But keep in mind "Chinese Democracy" could've become one of those "great unheard masterpieces" that Axl could've taken in the backyard, poured some lighting fluid over and roasted some marshmallows over. He didn't seem like he was in any rush to release it.

Personally I would rather see the band record some new music which hopefully would have some hooks and edge to it. i was not a big fan of ChiDem so I'm not looking forward to the leftovers.

ChiDem had the advantage of anticipation. Fans had waited so long for a new GnR album it helped drive sales.. Don't see that with ChiDem and don't see the average fan getting excited over more of the same.

Save ChiDem II for a deluxe Christmas box set sometime in the future and record some new music with the current band..........

Personally, I'd love a box set with everything from '97 to 2002 or thereabouts.

I wanna hear the '99 version of CD. I wanna hear a song like Oklahoma aka Berlin, which has been around since about 1995.

Personally I would rather see the band record some new music which hopefully would have some hooks and edge to it. i was not a big fan of ChiDem so I'm not looking forward to the leftovers.

ChiDem had the advantage of anticipation. Fans had waited so long for a new GnR album it helped drive sales.. Don't see that with ChiDem and don't see the average fan getting excited over more of the same.

Save ChiDem II for a deluxe Christmas box set sometime in the future and record some new music with the current band..........

Personally, I'd love a box set with everything from '97 to 2002 or thereabouts.

I wanna hear the '99 version of CD. I wanna hear a song like Oklahoma aka Berlin, which has been around since about 1995.

The Cult did this with two box sets where they emptied the vaults of demos, alternate versions, and unreleased songs. I have both and they are amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Cult-Ltd-Ed-6CD/dp/B0000516TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295118092&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Cult-Demo-Sessions/dp/B000071WDQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1295118092&sr=1-5

The one of the box sets has the complete unreleased Peace album which ended up becoming the Electric album. Sam songs but very different arrangements...These were limited editions and sell for big money now

If there is as much unreleased stuff from 96 - the present as has been rumoured Axl could easily do this.

Why not two different sets 85-96 and 96 to the present?

Well, half the '85-96 stuff we have (We have most of the AFD-UYI era demos and outtakes).

I really doubt Axl would EVER release the '95-96 rehersal tapes. They surely exist, I think Slash and Axl have both mentioned them [slash said in August '96 he, Duff and Axl together had 80 new songs; Matt said in '96 they had recorded 7 songs and were going to record 7 others, so SOMETHING does exist and was recorded in that period], but Axl would never release them.

Off topic but I wonder why the old band never did anything with "Bring it Back Home" and "Ain't Going Down". Both killer tracks, IMO.

Edited by Indigo Child

My hopes for CD 2 are that it's similar sounding tu the last album and has a final track similar to my world/silkworms/it tastes good dont it/get in the ring and features Nas, in this track it is a venomous attack on all the fuckin' haters, slashits and the stupid mother suckers that throw shit

This will not be a productive line of discussion. There is no reason to discuss the prospects of something which we have no concrete confirmation to suggest will be released into the public domain (especially when we have no insider perspective whatsover to indicate whether or not our speculation is headed in the right direction).

I really do hope that we get a record this year, even late 2011 i'd be happy. The Bucket/Finck material is amazing. I look forward to what Ashba and Ron can bring too but that will be second fiddle to Bucket/Finck(my opinion). Ashba is a straight out rock guitarist, blues scales, slow bends, slides etc in other words, not very unique. Robin was wayyyy out of the park(in a good way) and im a guitarist myself. I try play some of his solos and i think "how the hell did he come up with that", mainly the phrasing and the rests in his playing, truly unique(although sloppy live). Ron is 50/50. I liked his Catcher solo(even moreso than May's version!), but the others fell short.

Bottom line, give us the rest of the 1998-2008 tracks and we will be happy for a long long time(except the reunion folk).