Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Axl talking about Slash biography

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

Janis

Janis

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • 06-October 10
In one of Axl's forum chats a few years ago he refers to "the mind twisting equally as true horseshit in Slashs book". I've just finished Slashs book and altho he compliments Axl on his frontman/lyricist abilities and the many intimate chats they had over the years- but he completely slates him in the second half of the book and from what I get from it completely blames Axls "dictator" attitude entirely on the break up. I couldn't find one line where Slash takes some responsibiltity or am I mistaken? I know it's been discussed many times before but what do people think here about that? Is Axl admitting that Slashs version of events is "equally as true" or that it's horseshit and a complete lie?

mrandyk

mrandyk

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • 06-January 09
I dont think Slash ever takes blame, and why the hell should he? Look what Axl wanted to turn the band into. Would you blame Keith Richards for quitting on Mick Jagger if after becoming one of the biggest bands in the world Mick wanted to turn the band into some kind of hair metal band? No, of course you wouldnt.

Janis

Janis

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • 06-October 10

I dont think Slash ever takes blame, and why the hell should he? Look what Axl wanted to turn the band into. Would you blame Keith Richards for quitting on Mick Jagger if after becoming one of the biggest bands in the world Mick wanted to turn the band into some kind of hair metal band? No, of course you wouldnt.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section. I see what your saying but is Axl saying that Slashs version of events is equally as true? then why is he calling it horseshit in the same sentence? It's the "equally as true" admission from Axl that I'm querying and wondering what other fans think about it? Kinda shocking considering he's so defiant in tat Del James interview that he didn't break the band up solely himself.

Edited by Janis, 19 January 2011 - 09:00 PM.

GUNSNROSES513

GUNSNROSES513

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts
  • 16-May 07
As much as I like Axl, he is a control freak. But I'm sure Slash, Duff, and Matt had MUCH more to do with GNR's demise than we're led on to believe. Look at Velvet Revolver, sure Scott is a nutcase to, but come on... Two similar situations with 3 out of the 5 same members.
'CAUSE MY BABY'S GOT A LOCOMOTIVE, MY BABY'S GONE OFF THE TRACK.

rockerman

rockerman

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • 16-October 02

As much as I like Axl, he is a control freak. But I'm sure Slash, Duff, and Matt had MUCH more to do with GNR's demise than we're led on to believe. Look at Velvet Revolver, sure Scott is a nutcase to, but come on... Two similar situations with 3 out of the 5 same members.

Somebodyneeds to dig the article out where Axl describes something like: "I was told never to buy a car with other people"..I think he implied that the band simply had no control...everybody wanted to drive and somebody had to take the steering wheel. Everybody was suddenly rich and could do anything they wanted..and did. Duff saaid that in part also where he felt they got too big too fast and couldnt deal with all the responsibilities.
Read it on the wall went straight to my head said dance to the tension of a world on edge

Janis

Janis

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • 06-October 10

I know it's been discussed many times before but what do people think here about that? Is Axl admitting that Slashs version of events is "equally as true" or that it's horseshit and a complete lie?

Axl lied to us. I personally don't believe what he says. This has been addressed over and over again.

I couldn't find one line where Slash takes some responsibiltity or am I mistaken?

Responsibility for what exactly? I would ask for a source for your claim but you are speaking about abstract terms so I don't know if you are really saying anything at all.

but he completely slates him in the second half of the book and from what I get from it completely blames Axls "dictator" attitude entirely on the break up.

Axl got the band name. Slash and Duff were his employees. I don't know why you are putting quotes around the word dictator like you are afraid to use it. Look at what this "band" is now. It's "Guns N' Roses".

Thanks i know it's been discuddded befor but do u think Axl lied to save face? i'm being abstract sorry i just meant I didn't get a vibe that slash felt he was much to blame. The dictator thing was quoting slash but that's obv not clear!
I find it hard to believe Slash sometimes after he lied then admitted he called to Axls house in 2005. that def made me doubt him a bit like it did other fans i'm sure.

Somebodyneeds to dig the article out where Axl describes something like: "I was told never to buy a car with other people"..I think he implied that the band simply had no control...everybody wanted to drive and somebody had to take the steering wheel. Everybody was suddenly rich and could do anything they wanted..and did. Duff saaid that in part also where he felt they got too big too fast and couldnt deal with all the responsibilities.

that makes sense too. all things got very complicated!

Edited by Janis, 19 January 2011 - 09:16 PM.

Janis

Janis

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • 06-October 10

Thanks i know it's been discuddded befor but do u think Axl lied to save face? i'm being abstract sorry i just meant I didn't get a vibe that slash felt he was much to blame. The dictator thing was quoting slash but that's obv not clear!
I find it hard to believe Slash sometimes after he lied then admitted he called to Axls house in 2005. that def made me doubt him a bit like it did other fans i'm sure.

I don't really understand why anyone would lie about something honestly. "This above all, to thine own self be true" - Shakespeare I'm not sure why he came to the forums to begin with.

Slash was asked in a radio interview regarding Axl's rant about Slash going to his house. Slash brushed off the question without really answering in a clear way. When people say Slash lied about going to Axl's house they never actually cite real quotes from Slash.

thanks i've never heard this radio interview. can u post a link to youtube if u have it or do u know wher i can find it?;0

mrandyk

mrandyk

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • 06-January 09
Truth always lies in somewhere in the middle. I dont understand why Slash has been about the only one to really give his side of the story, but at the same time none of them give a shit anymore. None of it really matters anymore, but I would still like to know exactly what in the hell went down at Axl's place 5 years ago.

Daedalus

Daedalus

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • 03-May 10
A wise man said: There's three sides to every story, yours, mine, the truth. :krider:

When I see footage of Guns N' Roses, I see that fucking hunger and attitude. You could not fuck with those five guys. It was just raw. It was this lean, hungry thing on its way up.  - Slash

When we started we wanted to be the coolest, sexiest, meanest, nastiest, loudest, funnest band.  - Axl

sergiodefenders

sergiodefenders

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • 05-August 05

A wise man said: There's three sides to every story, yours, mine, the truth. :krider:

According to staments of Izzy and Duff at that time, the TRUTH seems to be closer to Slash's version. :rolleyes:

Sleeping Like An Angel

Sleeping Like An Angel

Near, Far, Wherever You Are!

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts
  • 11-September 10
How do people know Axl lied?

3129u77.jpg

Dublin '06 / Rome '10 / London '10 / London '10 / Birmingham '10 / Manchester '10
Dublin '12 / Glasgow '12 / Manchester '12 / London '12
/ Las Vegas '12 - 21st, 23rd & 24th

"Top o' the mornin' to ya" - A. Vedder

Janis

Janis

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • 06-October 10
Well as Slash suggests in his book they all probably had a part in the break up. All had personal problems and when they stopped living together and their lives changed after Appetite they didn't have the proper tools needed to communicate and find a common ground. He makes sense when he says that. Aside from his lateness etc.. which at times really did inconvenience the band etc.. I still came away feeling sorry for Axl that he had to deal with bandmates that were chronic junkies for years. That musta been added stress to all his other problems. I mean Slash doesn't hold back when talking about his habits! It's nearly on every page of the book what substances he was consuming!

moreblack

moreblack

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,730 posts
  • 03-April 03

he's said some things that haven't exactly turned out to be true.

“To the ones who are negative and want to see either myself or the new band fall on their faces, personally I can’t pass up an opportunity to upset so many of them in one quick swoop. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it."

Janis

Janis

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • 06-October 10

he's said some things that haven't exactly turned out to be true.

Can you be specific? thks:)

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06

I got the same impression from the Axl chats. Axl seemed to take zero responsibility. Slash admits he was f'd up on drugs. But where in Axl's chats does he say why he showed up to rehearsals later or not at all, and trying to make all band members employees?

"When Guns renegotiated our contract with Geffen I had the bit about the name added in as protection for myself as I had come up with the name and then originally started the band with it. It had more to do with management than the band as our then manager was always tryiní to convince someone they should fire me. As I had stopped speaking with him he sensed his days were numbered and was bending any ear he could along with attempting to sell our renegotiation out for a personal payday from Geffen.

It was added to the contract and everyone signed off on it. It wasnít hidden in fine print etc as you had to initial the section verifying you had acknowledged it.

Now at that time I didnít know or think about brand names or corporate value etc. All I knew is that I came in with the name and from day one everyone had agreed to it being mine should we break up and now it was in writing.

I still didnít grasp any other issues until long after Iíd left and formed a new partnership which was only an effort to salvage Guns not steal it.

In my opinion the reality of the shift and the public embarrassment and ridicule by others (which included a lot of not so on the level business types he was associating with at the time) for not contesting the rights to the brand name, were more than Slash could openly face. Also we arenít lawyers or formally business educated so it was just a matter of all of us being naÔve and doing what we thought was right at the time. Slash was imo being on the up and up in agreeing I had the rights and I wasnít trying to be some snake in the grass pulling a fast one. The others couldíve cared less.

But when the reality of the breakup hit and the strategy to have me crawl back was put into play Slash had to save face and get business team and public support. Painting me as the one who held a crowd hostage forcing the others to sign over the name worked out pretty well in that regard. Iím the bad guy and Duff, the fans and most importantly himself were the victims. Oh and they had actually made the sacrifice for the crowd, the people, the fans at the show. But againÖ. IT NEVER HAPPENED."

As to showing up to rehersals, unless Duff and Matt were lying at the time, during interviews at the time (1994-1996) they mentioned recording with him, in fact Duff gave one interview in August 1996 right before he was to head off to a rehersal with the whole band.
-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN