Do we really want leaks?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leak away. The leaks did not ruin CD chances of success, it was a lack of PR work. If anything, I believe the leaks helped sales. Let's cut the crap folks, you can find any album on torrent sites month(s) prior to it's release, but that's not the reason artists like Kanye and Swift are selling albums like hot cakes.

Leak away. The leaks did not ruin CD chances of success, it was a lack of PR work. If anything, I believe the leaks helped sales. Let's cut the crap folks, you can find any album on torrent sites month(s) prior to it's release, but that's not the reason artists like Kanye and Swift are selling albums like hot cakes.

Kanye leaked half his album himself for free months before release and it still sold.

I want new music from GNR, legal or illegal. I'll buy/download it.

And if you download it, you'll then fucking buy it anyway, oh wait, i bought 2 copies of CD, vinyl etc....

Music and documents are 2 different issues for me.

Leak music - and not an entire album, 2/3 songs will wet the appetite and may actually be positive for future record sales / promo.

Leak no sensitive / personal docs.

Leaks wont hurt album sales. If anything, they're beneficial IMO.

The wider music loving world doesnt give a fuck about any of this... a new album comes out, they download it, and buy it if they like it.

Its all us fanboys that lap it up, and the band gets itself some vital (free) market research on what they've yet to release

LA

most of us that listen to the leaks also bought cd's as well as other stuff i don't think we are ripping gnr off in any way. what is difference between listening to a leak and the bootlegs that have become so popular? ( When you play a song in concert a different way i don't think its official sometimes i don't even think its planned especially when mess up but its still fun to listen to ) agaqin i love my leaks i like the cd too which i like more depends on the song

What really hurts album sales is no promotion.

if i knew that the album would be released soon, then i wouldn't spoil myself with leaks. Its kind of like movies, if it's a good movie i'll watch it in theaters and be blown away etc. i'm not going to download a bad screener that i can't even listen to.

But if there is not news on a new album for the next 2 years, or something like that and it's a group of leaks, not just one song... then i would definitely download it.

As I've said a billion times, no. I was like everyone else the first time it happened. I downloaded them instantly and listened to them over and over again. I did so because I truly never expected CD to see the light of day and figured this was the only way I'd ever get to hear them. But when the record officially came out and I was listening to it, 80% of the experience was anti-climatic. From that moment forward, I vowed to never listen to leaks again from ANY band.

I'll wait for the real thing and enjoy it fresh. Listening to leaks is like knowing what you're going to get for Christmas. Some kids were into that whole thing but I never wanted to know because the surprise was have the fun.

Edited by Nintari

leaks do hurt album sales.

if I hear a leaked album and don't like it, I won't buy it. When I was growing up, you bought the album off a single, word of mouth, radio, magazine review, artist rep - and well if you didn't like it once you bought it.......*shrugs*, you were sol.

this idea that leaks and the net don't hurt album sales is silly.

YES

If only there's nothing carved in stone about a new album later this year or next year.

If Axl confirmed that there will be a new album and begins putting songs on Facebook to confirm the release, than no!

If, there is nothing about a new album, new song, nothing on Facebook, nothing but silence from the band, hell yes!

if I hear a leaked album and don't like it, I won't buy it. When I was growing up, you bought the album off a single, word of mouth, radio, magazine review, artist rep - and well if you didn't like it once you bought it.......*shrugs*, you were sol.

Well itunes and amazon previews have the same effect - if people don't like the sound of the clips they won't purchase the album. So I don't see how leaks are that much more hurtful

Well itunes and amazon previews have the same effect - if people don't like the sound of the clips they won't purchase the album. So I don't see how leaks are that much more hurtful

i don't know about itunes, because i don't use it, but amazon doesn't let you listen to the whole song...and at least with those two avenues they both allow the artist the to choose.

NO! I don't want anymore leaks. I want to hear the next album officially as the band intended.

Oh yeah, and the leaking of those docs MSL claims to have is beyond fucking evil. That guys isn't a fan at all, he's a fame hungry prick.

Edited by axl8302

Wow. I'm blown away by people defending the leaks/album sales theory. Nobody has a problem downloading music for free, because that apparently doesn't hurt album sales...........but die-hard fans hearing leaks somehow kills the albums sales? You people need to rethink your theory.