The Gear Thread

I think midi control is the way to go - you can keep all your pedals away close to the amp (no more big lengths of cable going back and forth to suck your tone) and with a Midi pedal looper switch you can activate any combination of pedals remotely. 

Edit:

Here's the midi controller I built - this is the final prototype which is fully working (it's not pretty but it works fine!):

1.jpg

It has some unique features:
- all signals (including power supply, Midi,...) are sent and received by a simple LAN cable RJ45, like you use on any computer: cheap, readly available, you can have long runs of cable
- the expression pedal position isn't read by any potentiometer to wear out over time, I set up a way to read it's position without any wires! 
- it receives the guitar signal (coming by the Lan cable) so that you can connect an external tuner pedal close to you

3.jpg

This was quite a challenge as I knew nothing about programing microcontrollers , working with displays, sending midi messages, ...
Now I'm building a rack pedal switcher, which will also receive this pedal signals and turn on or off individual pedals (or combinations of them) to complement by effects processor with analog pedals.

Edited by Klay
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

So it looks like I drafted this post months ago and never posted it. This thread is way too low in the forum, so here's a bump:

On 9/26/2016 at 3:00 PM, AslatIE said:

I'm considering heavily buying a Gibson LP 1950's Tribute soon, and one of those compact/tiny Marshall amps (can't remember the name,but @Snake-Pit owns onr)

The DSL5C is probably what you want, unless you don't have volume restrictions. Then the DSL40C is the best value (used).

On 9/26/2016 at 3:34 PM, AslatIE said:

A JVM model is also a dream, but not as much as a JCM and Plexi.

Like SoundofaGun said, a JMP or JCM will really be too loud for most scenarios. With an attenuator and fancy audio gear, you can tame that volume, but it's expensive - and to be honest, a $400 DSL40C can do the job just as well as a JMP or JCM, though it won't sound exactly the same of course.

The JVM can do lower volume, but I found that it sounds processed and compressed at low volumes... and it's a compressed sounding amp to begin with. The JVM1C is cool though.

On 9/26/2016 at 6:02 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

They made more than 10 SL-5s. They were a limited production run though.

Yup, I owned one. Good amp, sold it for a slight profit, but months later wished I hadn't parted with it.

I am thinking about the new Boss Katana series 1x12, for an easy to dial in/transport option for gigs and rehearsals where a 4x12 is not doable, or too much of a hassle. Anyone play one of these yet?

Also looks like I'm gonna pickup a Bogner OS 2x12 for similar reasons.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

So it looks like I drafted this post months ago and never posted it. This thread is way too low in the forum, so here's a bump:

The DSL5C is probably what you want, unless you don't have volume restrictions. Then the DSL40C is the best value (used).

Like SoundofaGun said, a JMP or JCM will really be too loud for most scenarios. With an attenuator and fancy audio gear, you can tame that volume, but it's expensive - and to be honest, a $400 DSL40C can do the job just as well as a JMP or JCM, though it won't sound exactly the same of course.

The JVM can do lower volume, but I found that it sounds processed and compressed at low volumes... and it's a compressed sounding amp to begin with. The JVM1C is cool though.

Yup, I owned one. Good amp, sold it for a slight profit, but months later wished I hadn't parted with it.

I am thinking about the new Boss Katana series 1x12, for an easy to dial in/transport option for gigs and rehearsals where a 4x12 is not doable, or too much of a hassle. Anyone play one of these yet?

Also looks like I'm gonna pickup a Bogner OS 2x12 for similar reasons.

Great write up. What is your main amp, now? I can never keep up! Lol

Edited by ZoSoRose

19 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Great write up. What is your main amp, now? I can never keep up! Lol

I just picked up some more pedals. I have an Alexander Silver Jubilee Overdrive which is great, sounds a lot like the real deal. Also got the EHX 360 Nano Looper and a Xotic Compressor

I have never played an actual Jubilee, I'd like to. I'm not sure if they're for me though. You can get some surprising deals on them if you go for the black tolex version from the original run. 

You're amp is a Fender, Deluxe or Hot Rod? I can't recall. Good for ODs though. Is the Nano Looper just a small looper pedal?

My main amp is still my Gower modded '77 Marshall 1959. That's been my main amp since February 2016. I've been getting into guitars more since getting the amp. I've been through a few R guitars, and the R9 I have currently is the best of the bunch. Though, still not as good as the 68RI, but nothing is lol. And along the way I also got a pretty good deal on a 2007 LP Classic Custom, which I'm currently selling.:lol:

15 minutes ago, OmarBradley said:

I have never played an actual Jubilee, I'd like to. I'm not sure if they're for me though. You can get some surprising deals on them if you go for the black tolex version from the original run. 

You're amp is a Fender, Deluxe or Hot Rod? I can't recall. Good for ODs though. Is the Nano Looper just a small looper pedal?

My main amp is still my Gower modded '77 Marshall 1959. That's been my main amp since February 2016. I've been getting into guitars more since getting the amp. I've been through a few R guitars, and the R9 I have currently is the best of the bunch. Though, still not as good as the 68RI, but nothing is lol. And along the way I also got a pretty good deal on a 2007 LP Classic Custom, which I'm currently selling.:lol:

I remember you telling me about all those Les Pauls! Beautiful!

I've only played the mini Jubilee combo reissue, but it was a lot of fun. My pedal does a pretty great job of getting the Jubilee tone through my Fender amp (I have the Blues Deluxe), its quite amazing how on point it is actually. I love big Marshalls and high gain amps in theory, but I just like getting clean amps and pedals for myself. Pretty darn happy with my setup. The 360 is just a basic looper and I actually canceled the Compressor, I don't think I'd use it that much since I usually play with at least a little overdrive.

Would love to play through your SLP, that sounds epic. Do you use an overdrive with it? Does it get heavy enough without one?

13 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I remember you telling me about all those Les Pauls! Beautiful!

I've only played the mini Jubilee combo reissue, but it was a lot of fun. My pedal does a pretty great job of getting the Jubilee tone through my Fender amp (I have the Blues Deluxe), its quite amazing how on point it is actually. I love big Marshalls and high gain amps in theory, but I just like getting clean amps and pedals for myself. Pretty darn happy with my setup. The 360 is just a basic looper and I actually canceled the Compressor, I don't think I'd use it that much since I usually play with at least a little overdrive.

Would love to play through your SLP, that sounds epic. Do you use an overdrive with it? Does it get heavy enough without one?

An OD isn't necessary, there is plenty of gain (4 tube stages + diodes) and it's bright enough to cut through a band mix no problem. The only rare instance I've used an OD with it, is with the onboard boosts disengaged for some tone coloring and tightening - not at all saying the amp needs it, putting an OD in the chain just gives you access to a different type of tone. 90% of the time though I'm plugging straight into the head with nothing in between. If I needed to, I could sell all of my gear except my 68RI and this head, and still be 100% satisfied with my tone. It's just fun to try other gear. :lol: 

I have a few pretty good music stores near me in the DC area, but I'm lazy and rarely go to them. So I just wheel and deal a lot via forums, Reverb, Craigslist, etc..

Here's a picture of the R8, it had an amazing top, but it was just missing something abstract, good guitar though:

581.jpg

And the R9, I actually switched the pickups out for a new set, they're uncovered zebra - this is an older picture:

6DEB30AA-9F5F-45A0-880C-3F21ED71D9FA_zps

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/01/2017 at 4:54 PM, OmarBradley said:

An OD isn't necessary, there is plenty of gain (4 tube stages + diodes) and it's bright enough to cut through a band mix no problem. The only rare instance I've used an OD with it, is with the onboard boosts disengaged for some tone coloring and tightening - not at all saying the amp needs it, putting an OD in the chain just gives you access to a different type of tone. 90% of the time though I'm plugging straight into the head with nothing in between. If I needed to, I could sell all of my gear except my 68RI and this head, and still be 100% satisfied with my tone. It's just fun to try other gear. :lol: 

I have a few pretty good music stores near me in the DC area, but I'm lazy and rarely go to them. So I just wheel and deal a lot via forums, Reverb, Craigslist, etc..

Here's a picture of the R8, it had an amazing top, but it was just missing something abstract, good guitar though:

581.jpg

And the R9, I actually switched the pickups out for a new set, they're uncovered zebra - this is an older picture:

6DEB30AA-9F5F-45A0-880C-3F21ED71D9FA_zps

How do you like the R8 and R9 necks?

Is the R8 really that chunky? 

On 2/1/2017 at 8:05 AM, Klay said:

How do you like the R8 and R9 necks?

Is the R8 really that chunky? 

The R8 measured right above .9 at the nut, with "normal" shoulders - so yeah, it's a bit of a handful. As far as R8s go, .9 is on the smaller end, but not the smallest I've seen. It was just on the fence of too big for my style/hands.

Normal R9 necks are generally around .9 also, with similar a bit less shoulder generally, but the shapes are not consistent and there are R8s that have smaller necks than R9s. The one I have is a V-neck, unlike the normal C and D shapes for LP necks. So it still measures around .9, but the neck shape has no shoulders, so it plays faster and feels smaller. 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2017 at 0:00 AM, OmarBradley said:

The R8 measured right above .9 at the nut, with "normal" shoulders - so yeah, it's a bit of a handful. As far as R8s go, .9 is on the smaller end, but not the smallest I've seen. It was just on the fence of too big for my style/hands.

Normal R9 necks are generally around .9 also, with similar a bit less shoulder generally, but the shapes are not consistent and there are R8s that have smaller necks than R9s. The one I have is a V-neck, unlike the normal C and D shapes for LP necks. So it still measures around .9, but the neck shape has no shoulders, so it plays faster and feels smaller. 

That's a pitty, they look great and everybody says they're a big step up the regular USA line (I don't know how's that possible!).

I don't have big hands, I much prefer a in between slim 60s neck and 50s round style neck; I would love to have a R7 Gold Top or R8 (as R9 and R0 are crazy expensive) but I guess it's not meant to be.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎04 at 5:29 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Does anyone hear own a Small Clone pedal? Would you recommend it? I've been using the chorus setting on my amp for the longest time but recently I've been thinking about getting a chorus pedal to try to get a more "real" sound.

I don't own one but I've used one and liked it. It's a good, inexpensive chorus pedal.

I'm a big fan of Roland/Boss so on that end my personal favorite is the Boss Chorus Ensemble. The Super Chorus was too subtle for my liking.

The MXR Micro Chorus is also very nice if you like the simple "one knob" pedal.

After much deliberation, I've got my own piece of new gear on the way for next week:

2525C-large.jpg?54aee8d9b0

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I don't own one but I've used one and liked it. It's a good, inexpensive chorus pedal.

I'm a big fan of Roland/Boss so on that end my personal favorite is the Boss Chorus Ensemble. The Super Chorus was too subtle for my liking.

After much deliberation, I've got my own piece of new gear on the way for next week:

Nice. This amp sound great, you'll love it!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Your prediction was accurate. I do love it. ;)

Seriously, this might be the best sounding combo Marshall has ever produced. It's like my JCM 800 on steroids.

They are awesome, add it to your new project and let's hear the beast roar! :headbang:

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 10:26 AM, James Bond said:

Omg I hate you. I want a 2525C so bad. The mini Jub kicks ass. Totally gigable, too. I played the 100 watt reissue head this weekend. It was fucking insane. I think my Alexander Jubilee OD does a great job recreating the real deal, but of course nothing beats the amps.

Just picked up a Germanium 4 Big Muff. Its great and cuts through the mix well enough. 

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Omg I hate you. I want a 2525C so bad. The mini Jub kicks ass. Totally gigable, too. I played the 100 watt reissue head this weekend. It was fucking insane. I think my Alexander Jubilee OD does a great job recreating the real deal, but of course nothing beats the amps.

Just picked up a Germanium 4 Big Muff. Its great and cuts through the mix well enough. 

I'm impressed about how gigable it is even on the 5 watt setting. It packs a punch! The 20 watt setting is more than plenty. I'll probably never go back to a half stack again. It's everything I could want in a convo amp, and the Greenback speaker was a nice addition.

25 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I'm impressed about how gigable it is even on the 5 watt setting. It packs a punch! The 20 watt setting is more than plenty. I'll probably never go back to a half stack again. It's everything I could want in a convo amp, and the Greenback speaker was a nice addition.

The pedal I got scratches the itch, but the 2525s are such cool amps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on the hunt for a 1954 Reissue Strat without waiting for it (ebay and such)

There is one seller that has one up for sell, second hand, a 2 tone sunburst maple neck journeyman relic which is light (I prefer with no relic at all but not a deal breaker)

He wants about 1900$ for it. If it's still for sale tomorrow, I could probably get him down to 1800$. If it sounds as good as he says it does, I'll take it goddammit. My first custom shop if it all pans out according to plans.

Edited by Rovim