The Gear Thread

Does anyone know of any other non-Gibson archtop Les Paul style guitars for around $1200-$1300 (USD) and under? I'm planning on getting one within the next 6 months. Planning on keeping it for the foreseeable future.

I was looking at the Gibson LP Studio which goes for around $1200, but I've heard people say you can get a more quality instrument by going with another brand for that price range, such as the Carvin CS3. I know there's also the Epiphone line, but I'm gravitating towards a non Gibson brand just to not put myself into a Gibson-bubble.

So far the ones that I know of that are around that price range are:

-Carvin CS3

-ESP EC-1000 (which have various pickups for different finishes)

Anyone ever tried out any of these? (Including the Gibson LP Studio) And any other makes that I should look up as well? I mainly play hard rock type music for reference

Edited by Mendez

I know no one probably cares cause it's a Strat. But just talked to the 1954 Reissue Strat chick on the phone. She said it's still for sale. It's her husband's axe and she wanted to know if I wanted to also buy a Mesa Boogie Duel Rectifier amp. I don't have the ears for it so had to decline.

After many fails and almost wins, I think this is gonna be my first custom shop finally. Driving over there tomorrow probably.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rovim said:

I've been on the hunt for a 1954 Reissue Strat without waiting for it (ebay and such)

There is one seller that has one up for sell, second hand, a 2 tone sunburst maple neck journeyman relic which is light (I prefer with no relic at all but not a deal breaker)

He wants about 1900$ for it. If it's still for sale tomorrow, I could probably get him down to 1800$. If it sounds as good as he says it does, I'll take it goddammit. My first custom shop if it all pans out according to plans.

I see your other post above so I say enjoy!

I'm currently on the hunt for my first custom shop as well. I'm a lot more practical with my gear these days and I've downsized quite a bit. The one thing that's always been on my radar is an SG Custom so I'd say that probably completes my gear wish list (as if any musician is ever complete :lol:).

If it wasn't for the godawful US/Canadian exchange rate then my hunt would probably already be over but alas. The thing is, I plan on customizing it so I don't want to overspend on the guitar itself so I'd be happy enough with a beater as long as there was no major damage to it. I'm keeping my eyes peeled locally.

Basically I want to turn it in Angus' 1970 SG Custom. Ever since I saw the Blow Up Your Video album cover as a kid If fell in love with that particular look for an SG. Thanks to that Premier Guitar Rig Rundown from a few months back, I finally have all the information I need to make it happen. That video kind of re-inspired me to do it up.

9 hours ago, Mendez said:

Does anyone know of any other non-Gibson archtop Les Paul style guitars for around $1200-$1300 (USD) and under? I'm planning on getting one within the next 6 months. Planning on keeping it for the foreseeable future.

I was looking at the Gibson LP Studio which goes for around $1200, but I've heard people say you can get a more quality instrument by going with another brand for that price range, such as the Carvin CS3. I know there's also the Epiphone line, but I'm gravitating towards a non Gibson brand just to not put myself into a Gibson-bubble.

-Carvin CS3

Anyone ever tried out any of these? (Including the Gibson LP Studio) And any other makes that I should look up as well? I mainly play hard rock type music for reference

I think the Carvin/Kiesel guitars are truly excellent quality but for some reason I've never played one that I really fell in love with.

The Hagstrom Swede (I think that's what their Les Paul style guitars are called) are nice for the price, but in that case I'd rather get an Epiphone Custom. I have been permanently warped by Gibson. :lol:

Check out PRS too. I'm not a particular fan for whatever reason but I know tons of people love them.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2017 at 11:46 PM, Mendez said:

-Carvin CS3

If you're set on the LP sound/look, I think the closest thing to get is a Japanese made LP. There's thousands of pages of discussion on the net as to which are best, and it partially depends on what you're looking for. The $1,200 - $1,300 price range should you get something just as good as a Gibson Studio/Standard, possibly better. Epiphone Elitists are made in Japan - but the others to look for would be: FGN, Edwards, Bacchus, Orville by Gibson, and Orville itself. ESP makes some too which are good, including the very expensive Navigator series. Some Burny, Greco, and Tokai models can be good too.

Most of the major brands do offer Les Paul "style" guitars in that price range, so it's just a matter of going down to your local shop and playing them.

On 4/2/2017 at 3:05 AM, Rovim said:

I know no one probably cares cause it's a Strat. But just talked to the 1954 Reissue Strat chick on the phone. She said it's still for sale. It's her husband's axe and she wanted to know if I wanted to also buy a Mesa Boogie Duel Rectifier amp. I don't have the ears for it so had to decline.

After many fails and almost wins, I think this is gonna be my first custom shop finally. Driving over there tomorrow probably.

I'd like a Strat actually. I don't get to play them often, but I played my buddy's American Standard Strat a few weeks ago and it was a lot of fun. I've never played anything from Fender's Custom Shop though. Did you get it?

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Did you get it?

I did not. It was in the bag until I saw something.  I'm on the cusp of getting my hands on a 1977 American Strat in great condition. All original parts for less money than the fake one. 3 tone sunburst with black hardware, the seller has been the owner for the past 35 years. No dings or scratches with the original case.

I have until Wednesday to drive over there, play it and buy it if it sounds good. He's a difficult old man and somewhat pushy. I kinda get the feeling I need to act quicky or he'll sell it to someone else cause it sounds like he really needs the money. Said he only plays Jimi licks.

Must not fuck this up. Rosewood neck. Serial number and all the parts check out.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I did not. It was in the bag until I saw something.  I'm on the cusp of getting my hands on a 1977 American Strat in great condition. All original parts for less money than the fake one. 3 tone sunburst with black hardware, the seller has been the owner for the past 35 years. No dings or scratches with the original case.

I have until Wednesday to drive over there, play it and buy it if it sounds good. He's a difficult old man and somewhat pushy. I kinda get the feeling I need to act quicky or he'll sell it to someone else cause it sounds like he really needs the money. Said he only plays Jimi licks.

Must not fuck this up. Rosewood neck. Serial number and all the parts check out.

Hey! I love Strats!

Hope you find one that really clicks. Fenders from the past 20 years are some of the most consistent instruments out there. I know the CBS era gets shit, but I've played some sweet amps from that era. They had some cool looking guitars then, too

Just now, ZoSoRose said:

Hey! I love Strats!

Hope you find one that really clicks. Fenders from the past 20 years are some of the most consistent instruments out there. I know the CBS era gets shit, but I've played some sweet amps from that era. They had some cool looking guitars then, too

Thanks. Will be super super rad to own a real Strat. I prayed to jesus last night before bed that it sounds good enough for me to buy. Lord just grant me this one.

If I succeed I'll try to upload some pics of it. He said he had 2 more guitars. I wonder if they're vintage instruments as well. Hopefully he doesn't have like a great Tele or Les Paul too cause I could freak out and buy one more or sell my ass on the street like John 5.

On 4/1/2017 at 3:38 PM, Rovim said:

I've been on the hunt for a 1954 Reissue Strat without waiting for it (ebay and such)

There is one seller that has one up for sell, second hand, a 2 tone sunburst maple neck journeyman relic which is light (I prefer with no relic at all but not a deal breaker)

He wants about 1900$ for it. If it's still for sale tomorrow, I could probably get him down to 1800$. If it sounds as good as he says it does, I'll take it goddammit. My first custom shop if it all pans out according to plans.

1800 for a strat is ridiculous, I don't care if it is a custom shop.

Just now, AxlisOld said:

1800 for a strat is ridiculous, I don't care if it is a custom shop.

Not getting that one. I'm trying to get a real one from 1977 for 1500$. Near mint condition, all original parts.

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Meh... the American Professional (basically a standard) goes for like $1400 new. $1800 for a Custom Shop isn't abnormal

I've come across some magic custom shop teles and strats. It's easy to say "I don't care if it's a custom shop, that's a crazy price to pay" without actually playing that specific instrument.

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Not getting that one. I'm trying to get a real one from 1977 for 1500$. Near mint condition, all original parts.

I've come across some magic custom shop teles and strats. It's easy to say "I don't care if it's a custom shop, that's a crazy price to pay" without actually playing that specific instrument.

I get it, dude. I've spent that much on a guitar before. It happens!

I dunno, I've gotten Korean and Japanese guitars that vastly outplay my Gibson's. And I'd put any Mexi strat against an American. Once you hit a certain price point, there are definitely diminishing returns. 

As for the question about archtops, look into an old lawsuit. Aria, Greco, Burny, Tokai, AMAZING guitars for the money.

6 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

I dunno, I've gotten Korean and Japanese guitars that vastly outplay my Gibson's. And I'd put any Mexi strat against an American. Once you hit a certain price point, there are definitely diminishing returns. 

As for the question about archtops, look into an old lawsuit. Aria, Greco, Burny, Tokai, AMAZING guitars for the money.

In most cases it doesn't compare to the real deal or custom shop. Just doesn't. You can't reach the same quality with mass production, cheaper parts, and an affordable price tag.

This is not exclusive just to guitars, but includes all instruments and products. Not to say they don't get carried away with their prices. But Fender and Gibson produces some fine custom shop instruments. The difference is there and even obvious to the ear in most cases.

Edited by Rovim

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Man, British made JCM 2000 DSLs and TSLs are pretty cheap. Are they any good? Now I am kind of tempted to check one out

I'm amazed at how much the prices have really dropped for the early 2000s TSL and DSL models. You can always find cheap 1960 cabinets used so realistically you can do a half-stack for under $1000. The combos are always dirt cheap these days too.

I had a TSL 100 half-stack when I was regularly playing in bands and before I got out of the half-stack thing. I thought it sounded terrific. It's certainly closer in sound to a JCM 900 than a JCM 800 but it definitely sounds like a Marshall. Most people seem to prefer the DSL, but I liked the three independently controlled channels on the TSL. It made it a great "live setting" amp.

31 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I'm amazed at how much the prices have really dropped for the early 2000s TSL and DSL models. You can always find cheap 1960 cabinets used so realistically you can do a half-stack for under $1000. The combos are always dirt cheap these days too.

I had a TSL 100 half-stack when I was regularly playing in bands and before I got out of the half-stack thing. I thought it sounded terrific. It's certainly closer in sound to a JCM 900 than a JCM 800 but it definitely sounds like a Marshall. Most people seem to prefer the DSL, but I liked the three independently controlled channels on the TSL. It made it a great "live setting" amp.

Yeah, I don't need a new amp or anything but in the next few years I may have to get one. Having a Marshall would be cool alongside my Fender

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah, I don't need a new amp or anything but in the next few years I may have to get one. Having a Marshall would be cool alongside my Fender

There's definitely a cool factor to Marshall even though there are plenty of othe amazing amps out there. If you just wanted one for the sake of having one, even the Marshall DSL40C isn't bad. The Marshall MA series from a few years back was also surprisingly decent considering it was an entry level tube amp. Very warm sounding saturation. I've seen used MA50C's go for like $300 on my local classifieds. The worst part about those (and the DSL40C) is the speaker, but that's an easy (and cheap) swap. I've bounced to different amps over the years especially in my quest to get the "forum user James Bond signature" combo amp, but I always seem to end up back with Marshall.

I'm probably going to get a DSL40C at some point soon. I am getting sick of lugging around my half stack, which is way overkill for most of the venues I play.

I do prefer the newer DSL40C and DSL100H to the older DSLs and TSLs, especially when comparing the combos. The DSL40C will have EL34s and the older DSL/TSL combos won't. I also think the lead channel sounds way better on the newer series. I'd personally replace the speaker with a V30 or G12H-75, or maybe G12H-30; but some people do like the stock speaker. :shrugs:

If you wait for the right deal (and they come up all the time tbh), you can get yourself a great condition DSL40C and V30/your speaker of choice for under $500 all together. Hard to beat that in terms of value.

9 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Always....need....new....amps....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rovim said:

I love my Duel Rec. An infant could dial in a good chugging metal tone on it, obviously that's what they're famous for and i have a brutal sound on the 3rd channel for lower tunings. The clean channel took some dialing in but i have it sounding real chimey and bright now...the second channel which i play hard rock out of was the hardest to get to my liking, trying to get rid of the infamous Rectifier fizz took some doing but finally after a few months i found the sweet spots and shes purring now

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Im posting from my phoneon my way to purchase my first custom shop. Its a fender strat 1967 nos in tobacco sunburst. Seller assures me its hendrixian

Need pics ASAP :P

8 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I love my Duel Rec. An infant could dial in a good chugging metal tone on it, obviously that's what they're famous for and i have a brutal sound on the 3rd channel for lower tunings. The clean channel took some dialing in but i have it sounding real chimey and bright now...the second channel which i play hard rock out of was the hardest to get to my liking, trying to get rid of the infamous Rectifier fizz took some doing but finally after a few months i found the sweet spots and shes purring now

I like the DR, I owned an older one from '93 that was absolutely killer. Shouldn't have sold it. 

• Like 2