The Gear Thread

Okay, folks! The title says it all: post all your favorite stompboxes here.

Here's mine:

1. BOSS MD2 Mega Distortion (Tonehunter Rectifier mod) - The ultmate weapon for 90's Metal!

2. Dunlop JC 95 Wah

3. EHX Big Muff with Tone Wicker

4. Hardwire CM2 Tube Drive

5. MXR CSP 001 Variphase -MXR discontinued this one... screw you MXR! :fuckyou:

6. EHX Neo Clone

7. BOSS NS2 Noise Supressor

8. Seymour Duncan Double Back Compressor

9. T-Rex Twin Boost

10. EHX Freeze

11. Hardwire TR7

12. Flanger Hoax - I could spend all my life messing with it... but I would never be able to fully understand it... :shrugs:

13. T.C Nova Repeater -Kill Dry switch FTW!

14. EHX Talking Machine

15. EHX Mole

Edited by Chewbacca

Don't know about all time dream but I put this together last night:

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

Signal chain goes:

Guitar

BOSS TU-3 tuner

JD JC Wah

Amp

The amp is Marshall JVM410H so the footswitch for that controls all my clean/OD/solo sounds and reverb.

In the FX loop is:

Retro Sonic Chorus

MXR delay

BOSS DD-7 delay

My dream is that this sounds great at band practice tomorrow :thumbsup:

Don't know about all time dream but I put this together last night:

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

Signal chain goes:

Guitar

BOSS TU-3 tuner

JD JC Wah

Amp

The amp is Marshall JVM410H so the footswitch for that controls all my clean/OD/solo sounds and reverb.

In the FX loop is:

Retro Sonic Chorus

MXR delay

BOSS DD-7 delay

My dream is that this sounds great at band practice tomorrow :thumbsup:

Looks nice. I've managed to get pedals 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 (Just ordered this one, I'm waiting for its arrival) from my list. I'll post some photos from the current setup later.

I still need a power supply for them... a MXR MC 402 and a T-Rex Fuel Tank Chamelleon should do the trick.

Well, thanks for sharing! Best of luck, to you and your band! :thumbsup:

Looks nice. I've managed to get pedals 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 (Just ordered this one, I'm waiting for its arrival) from my list. I'll post some photos from the current setup later.

I still need a power supply for them... a MXR MC 402 and a T-Rex Fuel Tank Chamelleon should do the trick.

You mean the 403? The 402 is a boost pedal I'm sure??.... Unless you can power others off it like some Boss pedals?

The 403 looks like a beastly power supply! I would have got it but it was too big/overkill for this board. I considered the T-Rex Jr but went with the PP2+ because of isolated outputs. I think the chameleon has isolated outputs too so good choice there.

You mean the 403? The 402 is a boost pedal I'm sure??.... Unless you can power others off it like some Boss pedals?

The 403 looks like a beastly power supply! I would have got it but it was too big/overkill for this board. I considered the T-Rex Jr but went with the PP2+ because of isolated outputs. I think the chameleon has isolated outputs too so good choice there.

Whooops! You're right, that huge power suply is the 403, not the 402. Sorry for that, typing is not my forte, especially with this small (notebook) keyboard.

I've got an SKB powered pedalboard. The gigbag it comes with is useless, but the pedalboad itself is solid and well worth the money. It's not very big but super easy to lug around. Built like a tank too - it was stacked above equipment in my van, fell out when I opened the back hatch, cracked right down on the pavement and there's not even a scratch on the thing. My pedals all remained attached and with their correct settings!

I don't use a huge variety of effects, but this is how my chain goes:

Guitar > Boss Chromatic Tuner > Dunlop Slash Wah > Digitech Whammy > Boss Delay (DD-3) > Boss Super Chorus > Amp

Even though none of the pedals are true bypass (as far as I know) they run like a dream. They hardly add any extra hum (if anything at all) to my tone. I haven't looked into it but I'm wondering if the built-in power adapter on the pedalboard has some type of noise suppression within it. I'm no expert on pedals or electronics by any means, but that's my guess.

Those few pedals do me nicely, especially as Slash is my main influence. Perhaps I could say my dream is to have everything on Slash's pedalboard, but this setup gets me pretty damn close (in terms of tones, not amount of pedals).

I've got an SKB powered pedalboard. The gigbag it comes with is useless, but the pedalboad itself is solid and well worth the money. It's not very big but super easy to lug around. Built like a tank too - it was stacked above equipment in my van, fell out when I opened the back hatch, cracked right down on the pavement and there's not even a scratch on the thing. My pedals all remained attached and with their correct settings!

I don't use a huge variety of effects, but this is how my chain goes:

Guitar > Boss Chromatic Tuner > Dunlop Slash Wah > Digitech Whammy > Boss Delay (DD-3) > Boss Super Chorus > Amp

Even though none of the pedals are true bypass (as far as I know) they run like a dream. They hardly add any extra hum (if anything at all) to my tone. I haven't looked into it but I'm wondering if the built-in power adapter on the pedalboard has some type of noise suppression within it. I'm no expert on pedals or electronics by any means, but that's my guess.

Those few pedals do me nicely, especially as Slash is my main influence. Perhaps I could say my dream is to have everything on Slash's pedalboard, but this setup gets me pretty damn close (in terms of tones, not amount of pedals).

Thanks for sharing! To be honest, I'd rather have a good buffer on my chain than a lot of TB's , especially on a big pedalboard (I know that my DP has a lot of true bypasses, but there's also some good buffers and the twin boost to solve any signal problems).

Here's a video showing Slash's rig:

Hope it helps...

Hmmmm... crap! I forgot to put the whammy(#16) on my list! :xmassrudolph: There's no way to play some Pantera's songs without it!.

Mine changes a lot, but right now I'm quite happy with what I have.

In front of amp:

Dunlop Zakk Wylde wah

MXR Dynacomp

MI Audio Blues Pro (just switched this out for my old Boss SD-1 which is a bit less bassy)

MI Audio Crunchbox

Rocktron Banshee (used to use a Heil Talk Box but it's just a PITA to set up)

In effects loop:

Boss GE-7 (just removed this today so will see how that goes)

Line 6 M13

I play in a covers band so flexibility is important. I play through a JCM900 which people often whinge about, but I think it sounds great and get a lot of compliments on my sound. Looking to get a JVM410H soon though. Tried one out and fell in love!

To the dude with the JVM - can you give me the dimensions for the foot switch? Sorry man, I've looked everywhere online and can not find a single fucking site with the size of the footswitch. I just want to know if it will fit on my Pedaltrain Jr.

I play in a covers band so flexibility is important. I play through a JCM900 which people often whinge about, but I think it sounds great and get a lot of compliments on my sound. Looking to get a JVM410H soon though. Tried one out and fell in love!

That's the amp I've got. It's great. Very flexible what with channels/modes and what I think is really great - 2 separate master volumes. In fact you can set it to have 3 separate volumes I believe using the effects loop.

To the dude with the JVM - can you give me the dimensions for the foot switch? Sorry man, I've looked everywhere online and can not find a single fucking site with the size of the footswitch. I just want to know if it will fit on my Pedaltrain Jr.

As soon as I get the chance I'll measure it and post it here.

Thanks for the video Chewbacca! I had seen that a while back but nice to stay updated with it.

Never mentioned it in my last post but I'm using a Marshall TSL100 with the matching 1960 cabinet. I've heard the DSL sounds better (never played one myself) but there wasn't one in stock at the time, whereas they had a used TSL100 in perfect shape so I ended up saving money anyways. I downloaded the manual for the AFD100 and used those recommended settings and certainly can't complain about the tone it puts out. Perfect for all kinds of hard rock and classic rock.

My only complaint is the footswitch - it works fine and is very responsive, but the cable is permanently attached to the footswitch which makes it awkward to carry around and prevented me from keeping it conveniently on the pedalboard.

Thanks for the video Chewbacca! I had seen that a while back but nice to stay updated with it.

Never mentioned it in my last post but I'm using a Marshall TSL100 with the matching 1960 cabinet. I've heard the DSL sounds better (never played one myself) but there wasn't one in stock at the time, whereas they had a used TSL100 in perfect shape so I ended up saving money anyways. I downloaded the manual for the AFD100 and used those recommended settings and certainly can't complain about the tone it puts out. Perfect for all kinds of hard rock and classic rock.

My only complaint is the footswitch - it works fine and is very responsive, but the cable is permanently attached to the footswitch which makes it awkward to carry around and prevented me from keeping it conveniently on the pedalboard.

No problem, dude! Actually, This video is a little out-dated. I believe this link will be more usefull:

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67506

anyone got a line 6 pod? I have a bout 15 effects now and I'm starting to wish I had just got a centralized system instead.

I have tried the X3 and X3 pro and they worked great for my kind of stuff which is kinda similar to this (not me playing):

I can't guarantee that you'll like it though (I don't know what you're looking for). You should try it and see for yourself.

Having a huge pedalboard sure is a pain on the ass: controlling it, carrying it around, setting up, powering it... It's certainly not practical.

This set I use mostly can barely squeeze into the board/bag.

48317892.png

I can get a lot of sounds here but I think next time I'll just get a Line 6 Pod instead. That will be my dream pedal board.

Thanks for sharing! I guess you should get the Floor Pood, instead of the X3, then. I haven't tried it since it's not available at the store I usually go to test stuff, but I'm sure it is a good unit. If you're looking for a good multieffects, you should also try the Digitech RP500: It's got lot of cool settings, like the sandman, and very unique effects such as ya-ya and the synth talk.

IMO multi-effects are a good choice for it's dynamics: you can quickly change between a distorted/delay/octave sound and a clean/chorus/flanger one with a single stomp. On the other hand compact/single effect pedals are easier to set, you can change your sound by simply turning a knob, instead of downloading/programming a new preset.

Thanks, I think I'll get a multi-effects pedal eventually. I'm just very picky about things, and I know my sound could be better. I'm big into effects so dozens of sounds would be great for me. I think I might go for a cheap Line 6 x3 if I can find one.

Thanks, I think I'll get a multi-effects pedal eventually. I'm just very picky about things, and I know my sound could be better. I'm big into effects so dozens of sounds would be great for me. I think I might go for a cheap Line 6 x3 if I can find one.

Sounds like the right choice to me :thumbsup:

Heres some interesting stuff:

I didn't know Bfoot was high into T.C pedals, nor that a chorus pedal was capable of that. Look at 4:06, it looks like the effect they used on Shackler's solo.

This video contains links for more demos and, most notably, his rig rundown:

Look at the double neck! Oaaaahhh... shiny :blink:

Here's my board/rig in action:

02-1.jpg

01-1.jpg

03-1.jpg

Update - the JC wah is gone and my custom made Area 51 is back (a welcome return!! :xmasssanta: )

RE: twistedthoughts - sorry for delay - I've PM'd you - the dimensions are 410mm x 115mm x 42mm high

I just purchased the line 6 HD500. I swore off buying expensive toys, and instead bought pedals one by one over the years. In the end the though, the buffered sound has too many limitations and I had no choice. Should be in the mail real soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just changed the topic's title in order to make it more interesting. Let's just talk about gear (pedals, amps, guitars, picks and even straps), exchange info and help each other to find the ideal rig.

If you have any doubts about your favorite artists gear, post the rig rundwon here, somebody may be able to help you out.

Well, back to the topic... I came across this pick manufacturer two years ago. I ordered a psycho pick (5.85) and a regular slide, they work great. The psycho is very bright and it's got a fat sound, ideal for heavy string gauges and jazzy tones, especially with the neck pup. It also worked well with heavier stuff for it's nice low end chunk and razor highs. The slide sounds like a regular glass slide (nothing incredible here) but it's way more resilent.

Check out their website:

http://v-picks.com/

Oh! and there's also this insanity pick. I never tried it for it's expensive price ($30,00) and because it looked too much for me (11,85mm).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-iSFHjfRu8

Edited by Chewbacca

20gjoe1.jpg

I got tired of waiting for the compressor and I decided to take a photo of the current setup.

Signal goes:

Amp< NS 2 (Return)< Variphase< Neo Clone< NS (Send)< MD 2< Big Muff TW< Wah< Guitar.

The NS 2 is working as the effects loop here, my amp does not provide this feature...

Wtf those picks are crazy!! 11mm?! People have looked at me funny because I use 2mm picks!! :rofl-lol:

You can see my amp and pedalboard above. Here's a shot of my guitar (with amp) from band practice:

GuitarAmp.jpg

Guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Std 2003 with a variety of small mods.

This is my old board:

03.jpg

04.jpg

The current one kind of backwardly evolved (if you get what I mean?!) into what it is now!

I own a few other pedals not pictured (DT Whammy and some others) and a good acoustic (a Taylor 914CE).

I use JD Big Stubby nylon 2mm picks for electric and either JD Big Stubby standard 1mm picks or JD USA nylon 1mm picks for acoustic.

I use Rotosound pure/100% nickel strings (11s) for electric and I'm still experimenting with acoustic - got DR Handmade Sunbeam 12s on just now - going to try 11s next.

For leads I use cleartone yellow tab leads for everything - even patch cables (I do have a big box full off George L connectors, accesories and lead too but don't use any of it). The Cleartone stuff is great and great prices. Put together in UK using Van Damme cable and Neutrik connectors.

I'm GASin now for a small pedalboard for the acoustic. I'm thinking a Pedaltrain nano with a tuner (prob TC polytune), a delay (prob TC flashback) and a looper (the new Boss RC-3) and maybe a chorus if I can fit it on (MXR are just bringing out a new analog chorus pedal - looks pretty cool). I'll use the George L's for this board and the Diago powerstation to power it all.

Think that's everything hahaha!!!!

Chew - how you liking the Jerry wah?????? I didn't really like mine that much. It's such a cool looking pedal. It's most likely got some great sounds too - just didn't work great in my rig.

The old board had an E. Mistress? Cool, it's one of my favorite flangers,that filter matrix thing is awesome. I personally like the new stereo + chorus version better (that thing is ungodly wet).

What's the name of the song that starts at 3:54? It sounds cool, but nobody seems to know the freakin name.

I swore I would never buy any signature pedal/guitar just for the name it carries (Jerry happens to be one of myfavorite artists), but when I tested other wahs (normal, Zakk, Kirk, Buddy Guy, Van Hallen, Slash, Dime and Tremonti) I really felt that the JC 95 would be the best choice. Since I use baritone/ ER guitars, I really needed something capable of dealing well with REALLY low frequencies (Right now I'm trying to build an 8 string baritone guitar (tuning: Bb0, F1, Bb1, Eb2, Ab2, Db3, F3, Bb3)), and this wah seems to be quite gifted for that.

The tone knob also played a major role here: I like to have a lot of high end on my lower notes, in order to give that sharp form to the sound, so I can capture the treble content of the bass notes and use it with the chorus and phaser for creating some interesting soundscapes, it also works great with the bass (I tried it with a 5 string Ibanez), specially slappin, another technique that taps into the treble side of the force.

Some news from Seymour:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/newproducts/zephyr-silver-pickups.php

I wonder if these pups are closer to alnicos or ceramics, but, considering the price ($1200 a set <_< ) they better be good stuff. According to SD, this thing is available with any custom shop orders. If somebody finds a decent demo for it... please post it here. I'm quite interested now.

Also, there's this guy who's been touring with Slash. He's talking about his SD set:

This is my favorite setup too. IMO the DD is the ultimate bridge pickup rock1