The Gear Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Someone just offered me a Dual Rec Rev F trade for the Marshall..... at least I think it's a Rev. F since it's early '93 and chrome plate covered. If I didn't have my eyes set on the CCV, I would have jumped on that trade. :S

EDIT: Fuck it, I'm doing it. :lol: The Rev F should be an easy flip and I'm curious about it.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

I would keep the Marshall (I would always keep a Marshall over pretty much anything else, lol...) - plus it's a Plexi!

I never owned a Mesa Boogie, I've heard other guys playing it live (I think they were Rectifiers) and sounded great and heavy, but it's not my thing (classic rock tone).

In the meantime, it's been a long time since I've been looking for this and this time I pulled the trigger - it arrived today, brand new, meet my new Marshall that will rip your heads off on my future recordings:

Did I needed it? No.

Did I wanted it? Yes, for a long time already.

I tought about buying late the 70s/early 80s vintage original amp but I wanted something brand new I can trust, take on the road without ever fearing what might happen in a +40 year old amp; also the effects loop is something I wanted.

Did a quick test on it and loved it - more gain than I tought it would have (people say this is low/mid gain) and more gain than I need, with true classic tone as heard in countless records.

Now only the 1959 Plexi is missing... and I need it even less than this one! If we lived closer I would help you get rid of yours, Omar!
Edited by Klay

Congrats! I'm pretty sure Slash is using the 2203X right now. Looking forward to clips. Did you decided to get this instead of the 2555X?

Just shipped the 1959 out this morning, I don't feel any regret. It was a good amp, but not what I'm wanting ATM. The early Dual Rec's (1992-1993) are supposed to be superb, and way different from the modern ones. Always been sort of curious about them, I'll be running it with EL34s, not 6L6s. Most likely I'll flip it in a week or two and get ~$1250 for it, a little more than I was trying to sell the Marshall for.

I've still got my eyes on the CCV hunt.

I could have bought the 2555x but I've got the 2555 SL already, which seems to be better build as it's partial handwired; the 2555x is all PCB, the tubes and pots are board mounted, it's not the same quality.

I kept telling you the day would come for me to own a 800 and a 1959. Now only the 1959 is missing.

I know Slash is using the 2203 reissue now with some mods but the tones I'm getting with mine are a lot better than what he's getting with his 800s. I'm getting from perfect AC/DC (think Ballbreaker for reference) to 80s Scorpions, Accept, Cinderella, Aerosmith, GN'R, ... Slash is getting a thin trebly tone, don't get it. Maybe it's the mics or pedals he's using, I'm not a fan - and he used to have the best tone ever either on the records with the modded Marshalls and live with the boosted 2555, I dunno how it went down.

I'm sure the Mesa Boogie will be great; on this pro-level of amps there are not bad amps, they're all great; some just might suit you better than others for your playing style and for the type of music you play. I know exactly the tone I like so my amps are all slight variations of the classic Marshall distinct tone.

Maybe this time you'll record a demo of your amp before you sell it? eh eh

Edited by Klay

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reasonably sure I've got my heart set on a Fender Hot Rod III which I'm going to pair up with the OCD pedal. Eventually I'd like to add a delay pedal (just for all the Floyd I play) and a wah pedal just to have one. I think I should be good with that set up for a while.

• Like 1

Maybe this time you'll record a demo of your amp before you sell it? eh eh

I.. um... may have shipped it out last week.... sorry no clips... :(

It sounded like most Rectifiers, less fizzy and warmer/cripser than the modern Rectifiers, but it was still a Dual Rec. Sounded good, just not my thing.

The Old Bitch is shipping out tomorrow. Then it's CCV time. :shades: I promise I'll post clips of that. I think I have old OB clips I could post too actually, gotta look.

Anyone here tried out the Jet City JCA 22h? I want to get one, but I have heard mixed things about them. Plus there is only one good video on YouTube of it and the rest sound pretty shit (although that may not be the amp's fault).

I've never played one, but some people like them a lot, especially when they're modded, Friedman and Soldano (he designed the circuits for them I think) mod those pretty often. Though you're in the UK..... Dan Gower would probably do it.

Are you looking specifically for low watt tube heads? Or just curious about the Jet City?

Anyone here tried out the Jet City JCA 22h? I want to get one, but I have heard mixed things about them. Plus there is only one good video on YouTube of it and the rest sound pretty shit (although that may not be the amp's fault).

I've never played one, but some people like them a lot, especially when they're modded, Friedman and Soldano (he designed the circuits for them I think) mod those pretty often. Though you're in the UK..... Dan Gower would probably do it.

Are you looking specifically for low watt tube heads? Or just curious about the Jet City?

I am looking for something between 5 and 20 watts, if the Jet City sounds like the good video (the one on their website), then that will do, but I am open to suggestion. I want something that sounds good out of the box rather than having to get it modded.

I am looking for something between 5 and 20 watts, if the Jet City sounds like the good video (the one on their website), then that will do, but I am open to suggestion. I want something that sounds good out of the box rather than having to get it modded.

I don't know much about low watt amps tbh. The Marshall SL5 is great, I owned one for a bit. People seem to really like the Bogner Atma, but they're not cheap. Blackstar I think has the HT5 which people also seem to like.

I don't know much about low watt amps tbh. The Marshall SL5 is great, I owned one for a bit. People seem to really like the Bogner Atma, but they're not cheap. Blackstar I think has the HT5 which people also seem to like.

I have a Blackstar HT-5 at the moment, they is the amp I have used on most of my recordings. The amp itself is great, but the speaker is a little mushy, so I am going to get a 2x12 with v30's in for the proper rock sound. I thought while I was at it I would pick up another amp head for a little bit of tonal variance, the JCA22h appealed due to the low cost and full features.

Damn, my Les Paul seems to have the dreaded "G String" virus. Fucker keeps going out of tune like mad

Have you changed the guage of strings from 9's? That's what they set up from the factory and the "bone-like" material is filed for that on the nut. Just file it your self if you need.

Yeah, I've been playing on 9s since I got it. Might switch to 10. Is it hard filing the nut?

Try some nut sauce or even some pencil graphite can help with a sticky nut. I don't suggest trying to file the nut unless you know how as it is easy to fuck up.

CCV hunt not going well.... had 3 leads when I first posted my WTB thread. The first 2 guys took about a week to think about selling, then decided not to (though both offered me first dibs if they sell). The third was an offer for spot #2 in line, of course the guy in spot #1 snagged it. :angry:

Starting to consider getting something else in the mean time.... checking the classifieds every hour for a good deal that I can flip fast if one of the CCV's comes up.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

CCV hunt not going well.... had 3 leads when I first posted my WTB thread. The first 2 guys took about a week to think about selling, then decided not to (though both offered me first dibs if they sell). The third was an offer for spot #2 in line, of course the guy in spot #1 snagged it. :angry:

Starting to consider getting something else in the mean time.... checking the classifieds every hour for a good deal that I can flip fast if one of the CCV's comes up.

May be getting a solid deal on a Wizard Modern Classic..... we'll see.

I'm also considering getting a Two Notes Torpedo Live.

May be getting a solid deal on a Wizard Modern Classic..... we'll see.

I'm also considering getting a Two Notes Torpedo Live.

LOL

Complete 360 since then. Now it's looking like I'm going to snag a 1959/2203 from the UK, and have it sent directly to Dan Gower for KK++. And now I'm looking at the Suhr Reactive Load instead of the Two Notes...... being a gear junkie is strenuous work.

EDIT: This thread will essentially serve as my gear diary, so in 10 years I can remember all of the stuff I've bought and sold months later. :lol:

Edited by OmarBradley

Grrrrr I missed an amazing opportunity this morning.

I woke up a bit earlier than usual because I wasn't feeling great, so I stayed in bed and scrolled through the Reverb.com app on my phone.... I see a 2014 Gibson LP Traditional, for $900. That can't be right? Well I did some looking at the pictures and at least the guitar in the pictures on the ad were indeed of a genuine Gibson. So I immediately did "Buy it now" instead of making an offer. All good, going through Reverb.com checkout, get to PayPal, log in to PayPal, all good. Hit "Confirm." BAM, error message. I try again, same error message, general message saying "error with transaction." So I try to buy a pack of strings using same method, no problem.

So I message the guy saying, "hey I'd like to pay full price, but I think there's something wrong with your PayPal." I put my phone down to shower. Got out of the shower, he had responded, "I fixed it now, it was due to my PP account's limit, I lowered the asking price to $850." So I'm going ballistic because a $900($850 + $50 shipping) LP Trad is a steal...... can't find the listing. Searching, searching, searching, can't find it. Eventually find the link to it from my history, it sold! In the few minutes between when he fixed his PP and I was in the shower. Fucking hell, biggest disappointment I've had in a while. lol

I know that feeling as well.

Rule number one in business - take the oportunity as soon as it's presented; if you want it grab it, don't save it for latter!

On the other hand, the 2014 lineup had that "120th Anniversary" inlay on the 12th fret, not everyone is a fan so maybe that's why it was so cheap?

I know that feeling as well.

Rule number one in business - take the oportunity as soon as it's presented; if you want it grab it, don't save it for latter!

On the other hand, the 2014 lineup had that "120th Anniversary" inlay on the 12th fret, not everyone is a fan so maybe that's why it was so cheap?

I tried to grab it immediately... shouldn't have showered.

A 2014 LP Trad would sell for $1300 minimum normally here, more likely closer to $1600 - $1800,