The Gear Thread

How do I post pics again?

Got this from HV which is how I posted the pics of my ESP Mirage Custom in this thread and it works perfectly..........

You have to upload it to an image hosting site first, then use the link as the URL. Try this:

1. Go to http://postimg.org/

2. Click "browse" and locate the image on your C:, then click "upload it!" to start the upload.

3. It will give you a list of links.. pick the second option "direct link", then copy the link to your clipboard

4. Go back to the forum, click the image button and paste that link as your URL.

How do I post pics again?

Got this from HV which is how I posted the pics of my ESP Mirage Custom in this thread and it works perfectly..........

You have to upload it to an image hosting site first, then use the link as the URL. Try this:

1. Go to http://postimg.org/

2. Click "browse" and locate the image on your C:, then click "upload it!" to start the upload.

3. It will give you a list of links.. pick the second option "direct link", then copy the link to your clipboard

4. Go back to the forum, click the image button and paste that link as your URL.

Thanks CR! I'll post pics next week cause a lot of crazy things have been/ will happen-

Ok so a total recap- I traded in my Satriani Ibanez JS 100 for a Fender Modern Player Thinline Tele, took that back and exchanged it for a Fender Standard Tele, picked up that SG in the trade, and now something else may happen!

I have to sell something because money is low. I am not as sad because I now have three great electrics- my Deluxe Player's Fender Strat (can't ever sell that), the Tele, and the SG

I love the Tele but I got an amazing offer through reddit. Some guy will trade me his 2004 Gibson Les Paul Special for my Tele. I love the Tele but its my [gear] dream to own a Les Paul. This won't be my dream Les Paul, but I am so excited nonetheless. Its still a genuine Gibson Les Paul and will surely hold me off for the next 5-10+ years until I get my dream one. So it looks like I'm trading the Tele for the Les Paul. We are shipping them to each other on Tuesday.

Once I get that I'll post pics of everything. I'll be sad to let the SG go but I've only had it a few days and my close friend has had the same guitar since 2006. At any rate, I'll show them all to you guys soon!

1509989_10153992169305234_80026717065991

Thats the Les Paul! I will have to post some sound clips sometime too. My amp is garbage, but I played through a blues deluxe at the store. It sounded godly. These early 00s Les Paul Specials are excellent, underated guitars and I am increadibly happy. Defiantly don't want to sell it!

It's a studio?

A studio would usually have the pearl inlays, but I was also surprised Zoso, I was expecting something with P90's. I guess for a few years they put humbuckers in the Special's, are they the Burstbuckers?
Yeah, most specials have p90s but in the early to mid 2000s they were like more traditional les pauls. I think they're 500s but I'm not 100% sure. They don't sound like burstbuckers, more deep a sound Edited by ZoSoRose

It's a studio?

A studio would usually have the pearl inlays, but I was also surprised Zoso, I was expecting something with P90's. I guess for a few years they put humbuckers in the Special's, are they the Burstbuckers?
Yeah, most specials have p90s but in the early to mid 2000s they were like more traditional les pauls. I think they're 500s but I'm not 100% sure. They don't sound like burstbuckers, more deep a sound

They put 490R and 498T in the humbucker studios.

I have a Junior Special and a Junior Lite both in the same color (cinnamon) and the same pickups (P-100s).

It's a studio?

Yeah, most specials have p90s but in the early to mid 2000s they were like more traditional les pauls. I think they're 500s but I'm not 100% sure. They don't sound like burstbuckers, more deep a sound

They put 490R and 498T in the humbucker studios.

I have a Junior Special and a Junior Lite both in the same color (cinnamon) and the same pickups (P-100s).

Doing more research it seems they are 490R and 498Ts in my Special, they sound great! Your Juniors sound awesome

Edited by ZoSoRose

• 5 weeks later...

Just put the Slash signture seymour duncan in the bridge of my les paul. That pickup growls like few other. It replaced the '57 burstbuckers it came with which were nice but were a little bright for my taste.

It was a bitch to do, because the pickup was only a single conductor while the pot it went into was a coil tapping pot, which had four conductors. I had to get creative.

A word of advice to all, unless you like wasting money, you're better off changing your pickups yourself at home following instructions online or a youtube video. All it takes is a $15 soldering iron kit from radio shack. It's not difficult.

Has anyone played those whole lotta humbuckers by Seymour Duncan? I wonder if they sound like Jimmy Page

And glad the pup worked out, teejay

Thanks!

Also I haven't played the whole lotta humbuckets, but I've found that playing a lot of his leads or riffs on a Les Paul with the toggle in the middle position sort of sounds like Page. Playing "the ocean" like that with low gain sounds almost exactly like it.

Page liked the middle.

TeeJay I can't even count how much money I've saved and actually made by doing my own guitar work, or doing someone else's. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone has actually paid me money. I always ask for a case of beer. It just saves me a trip to the store with their money to get said beer.

Page liked the middle.

TeeJay I can't even count how much money I've saved and actually made by doing my own guitar work, or doing someone else's. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone has actually paid me money. I always ask for a case of beer. It just saves me a trip to the store with their money to get said beer.

I think that's pretty fair!

Page liked the middle.

I think that's pretty fair!

Setup, truss adjust, or pickup install seems like a case of beer kind of job. I make sure they are given a disclaimer that I will drink the beer while performing the work. Haven't had a complaint yet.

Found a hell of a deal on a Marshall SL5C amp on Craigslist, looking like I got it, should be going to pick it up Thursday. Will report back with details.

Side note: also got a Boss GE7 a few weeks ago, really opens up the tone on my 1959. I think I want new speakers though, V30's, I'm getting sick of the Celestion 75's.

Found a hell of a deal on a Marshall SL5C amp on Craigslist, looking like I got it, should be going to pick it up Thursday. Will report back with details.

Side note: also got a Boss GE7 a few weeks ago, really opens up the tone on my 1959. I think I want new speakers though, V30's, I'm getting sick of the Celestion 75's.

Picked up the SL5 yesterday, it sounds great. I can't really crank it until the next time I go to the rehearsal space, but you can get some reasonably terrific tone at very reasonable volumes - haven't received any noise complaints yet and been jamming it for at least an hour. I've been mostly using the 1 watt setting (it's still decently loud given the EL34 and V30 combo), but with my GE7 in the line the tone is really rounded out and strong. If anyone wants any pictures or song snippet/tone requests I'll try to deliver (Nightrain sounds particularly good).

Whilst browsing Craigslist I also found a brand new V30 (England) for $80! So I'll hopefully be picking that up tomorrow for my main rig's cab.

• 2 weeks later...

NGD for me:

15o7bwy.jpg

It's a Jackson DKA8... I know. What happened?

27'' scale?

no archtop?

Well.. buying in Europe was a little more expensive than I thought and due to time limitations getting a custom Agile was impossible, besides having a guitar without a Floyd is always a good idea.

Anyways, it's a neat Greataxe and definetely a keeper. The quartersawn mapple neck feels just right, it is fast, definetely made for shredding, without being too stiff and it feels solid as well, with a scarf joint for a better tension management. The arcade button killswitch works great and the D-Activators are awesome as well and the black/ white contrast finish looks killer.

When I first played it, I noted that the stock string set (.009-.074) wouldn't do it at all. No kidding, it couldn't even get a decent F#1 on the 8th string, the B string was pretty loose as well.

I did some minor adjustments in the truss rod and changed the string set for a .013 - .106 (obviously I had to drill a bigger hole in the bridge and nut and unwind some of the string in order to make it fit in the tuners). Problem solved, I'm tuning to drop Eb1 without problems.

6ih8wi.jpg

My BOSS MD-2 also came back from germany, modded. It became a rectifier in a box, just as I needed:

6zxwxt.jpg

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 2

NGD for me:

15o7bwy.jpg

It's a Jackson DKA8... I know. What happened?

27'' scale?

no archtop?

Well.. buying in Europe was a little more expensive than I thought and due to time limitations getting a custom Agile was impossible, besides having a guitar without a Floyd is always a good idea.

Anyways, it's a neat Greataxe and definetely a keeper. The quartersawn mapple neck feels just right, it is fast, definetely made for shredding, without being too stiff and it feels solid as well, with a scarf joint for a better tension management. The arcade button killswitch works great and the D-Activators are awesome as well and the black/ white contrast finish looks killer.

When I first played it, I noted that the stock string set (.009-.074) wouldn't do it at all. No kidding, it couldn't even get a decent F#1 on the 8th string, the B string was pretty loose as well.

I did some minor adjustments in the truss rod and changed the string set for a .013 - .106 (obviously I had to drill a bigger hole in the bridge and nut and unwind some of the string in order to make it fit in the tuners). Problem solved, I'm tuning to drop Eb1 without problems.

6ih8wi.jpg

My BOSS MD-2 also came back from germany, modded. It became a rectifier in a box, just as I needed:

6zxwxt.jpg

That is one sweet lookin instrument, enjoy!