The Gear Thread

ZoSoRose, what are your toughts on the Min-E Tune system of your Les Paul?

Ist it accurate or most of the times you need to fine tune it manually?

Does it changes quickly between tunnings?

I could use a guitar that could jump from tunnings live quickly, instead of switching guitars and tought about it.

Thanks for your toughts!

I don't believe his LP has the Min-E Tune system.

I played a 2015 Standard with the Min-E Tune at GC, it didn't work......

As far as self-tuning guitars go, I know there's the LP Robot, and maybe another follow up that Gibson did. If you really use a lot of tunings, I'd recommend checking this out:

http://axcenttuning.com/

I think they used to be called Transperformance, they were the first ones to really do the self-tuning guitar thing - I believe their stuff started coming out in the early 2000's.

Found an article as early as 2005 on this product: http://www.gizmag.com/go/4951/

And a forum post from 2003! http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58794

EDIT: Right, and there's also the Variax guitars, more info: http://line6.com/guitars/

My Lester actually does have Min Etune!

I opted to go with a 2013 Signature T WITH Min ETune.

:o

Thanks for your replies!

I did saw several demos by Gibson and they say that the system has a learning curve, meaning that the first tunings (ex: when changing strings, when using a new tunning for the first time for a set of strings) may take some more time.

I think I'll build my own Les Paul for the first time and install a Min E-Tune instead of buying one of the 2013 Gibsons with this sistem that are still being sold around.

I don't like Gibson 2015, specially the wider neck even tought the G-Force is an improved Min E-Tune system.

Don't you hate it when people just recommend their own gear saying "OMG ITS THE BEST THING EVER?!"

Well, I'm about to do that to you, Klay. Despite all the fanfare with Gibson's 2015 lineup and the price hikes, now is actually a really good time to buy a new Gibson Les Paul. If you are in the market for a Lester, don't rule the real deal out. Mine is a 2013 model, but the Signature T is actually still on blow out on some sites like Zzounds. I went as high a price as you can with the model, with the vintage sunburst finish and MinEtune, and it was $1800. That's still WAY less than most other Les Pauls. You don't cut any corners with it, either. All the typical Les Paul features- body binding, neck binding, MOP Inlays on the trapezoids and logo, AA flame maple cap, mahogany body, nitro finish, 57' classic pickups, and the 2 tone and volume knobs. That is a LOT of guitar for the money, especially when compared to other Les Pauls. So why is it so cheap if it is so identical to the more expensive LP Traditionals and old Standards it mimics so well? I'm guessing because it is a 2013 model on blowout and because of its one "cut corner"- it has a granadillo fretboard. Granadillo is a wood that's a lot like rosewood, it just has a bit of a lighter finish. Its quality is exactly the same, and lots of instruments use it. It just isn't as dark as rosewood and therefore not as popular on Gibsons. Personally, I wouldn't notice the difference on mine. Its also a pretty old school Les Paul aside from the traditional weight relief, coil taps, and the Min Etune.

Now, here is where my bias is going to come in because I love my guitar and because I've been playing it so much. I fucking love this thing. It truly feels like a premium instrument every time I hold it. The playability is like butter and the sounds I get from it are unreal. In my opinion, it is the ultimate rock guitar and I almost feel "lost" when I play my Stratocaster or my buddy's PRS Custom 24 (holy crap, though, that's an amazing guitar too).

Unfortunately, since the Signature T is 2 years old, there aren't a lot of finish options left. No problem! There are a few other high end Les Pauls on clearance now. Both 2014 models, the Classic and Signature are about $1800- $2000 on Zzounds. Again, far less than Gibby's current lineup. The Signature is supposedly the successor to the Signature T, but it is really different. It looks almost like an 80s-90s LP with the black hardware. The Classic has some more old school finishes. The big difference with these 2 models is that they have a 10db boost switch instead of a second tone knob. All of these have MinEtune.

So yeah, just trying to let you know there are some good deals out there for new Les Pauls. The Custom route can be awesome too, would you do it through Carvin? Getting a Gibson might actually be cheaper than the custom route considering the Tronical G Force tuning system is an extra $300.

Edited by ZoSoRose

Thanks for your toughts.

Indeed currently there are several good deals for 2013 and 2014 stock clearence here in Europe.

I wouldn't consider a 2014 model because I hate the aniversary inlay at the 12th fret

I don't like the 2015 features so I was checking the 2013 clearence:

- Les Paul Tributes with Min E-Tune for around 900 Euro

- Les Paul Signature T without min E-Tune for around 1100 Euro

I was thinking about jumping to a Gibson Les Paul 60s tribute in goltop (I really want a goldtop) loaded with min E-tune for only 850 Euro (around 900 dollar); basically to take it in place of my precious late 90s Gibson Les Paul Standard (the "real thing" for me, without weight reliefs or any of that moder things) for those less reputable gigs where anything can happen!

But right now I think I'll save for the 2555x and to build my own Les Paul project.

Edited by Klay

Nothing has happened, I still own all my Les Pauls (5 at the moment) but I want moooore!

I've tried to like other guitars (Strats, Explorers, Teles, SGs) but they don't feel right to me. I love the feeling of the Les Paul, the smaller scale, the narrow neck, the carved "belly", the looks, it just feels right to me.

The more the better!

I'll build my own (not the body or the neck, just the assembly) just for fun but it'll take a lot of time and I have no experience with woods, it'll be a fun hobby.

Edited by Klay
  • Like 1

Speaking of gear, my JCM 2555 SL will have company; Marshall will announce a reissue of the original grey tolex / chrome plate Silver Jubilee in just a few hours at Namm ;)

Fuck man, you can't be post in the musicians section and not post clips of that amp.... and what?! a Jubilee reissue.... Marshall's reissues have never been that great, mostly because of crap/different components than the original..... Marshall makes a lot of their amps in Asia now, a crap PCB is why the AFD sounds nothing like the prototype (that Slash has) does. The 2203X ain't so great either. The SLP's and the 1987X were alright, but I'm not sure if the current models of those are manufactured in Asia too.

I don't like the idea of a Jub reissue, and I am even less confident Marshall can do it well.

Thanks for your toughts.

Indeed currently there are several good deals for 2013 and 2014 stock clearence here in Europe.

I wouldn't consider a 2014 model because I hate the aniversary inlay at the 12th fret

I don't like the 2015 features so I was checking the 2013 clearence:

- Les Paul Tributes with Min E-Tune for around 900 Euro

- Les Paul Signature T without min E-Tune for around 1100 Euro

I was thinking about jumping to a Gibson Les Paul 60s tribute in goltop (I really want a goldtop) loaded with min E-tune for only 850 Euro (around 900 dollar); basically to take it in place of my precious late 90s Gibson Les Paul Standard (the "real thing" for me, without weight reliefs or any of that moder things) for those less reputable gigs where anything can happen!

But right now I think I'll save for the 2555x and to build my own Les Paul project.

Keep us posted on your build project, what are you thinking for the top?

Zoso, inlays are NOT MOP on your Paul. It's the same plastic crap they've used since forever. MOTO, pearloid.

If you're really set on a Paul, why buy new? Buy back when Gibson actually knew what QA was and used the premium materials they charged for. Les Paul Customs with Richlite boards, for the same price as they used to charge with ebony.

• Like 2

Shit really? It really looks like MOP compared to the perloid on the Custom Lites. Bummer!

Anyways, what other Marshalls are made in asia right now besides the DSL and MG?

EDIT- Apparently Gibson has been using pearloid on guitars since the 50s at times. Wow! The more you learn. Thanks, Axlisold. They look really good on my "T" if they are plastic, but it would have been nice to have real MOP.

Edited by ZoSoRose

Shit really? It really looks like MOP compared to the perloid on the Custom Lites. Bummer!

Anyways, what other Marshalls are made in asia right now besides the DSL and MG?

EDIT- Apparently Gibson has been using pearloid on guitars since the 50s at times. Wow! The more you learn. Thanks, Axlisold. They look really good on my "T" if they are plastic, but it would have been nice to have real MOP.

JVM is definitely made in Asia, Vintage Modern too I believe. I'm sure the Haze is, probably the newer MA series, not sure about the 1 watt 50th anniversary amps. Not sure if others a made in Asia, those are just the ones I know/could guess off the top of my head.

The few demos I've seen of the 2555X don't sound bad so far.... gonna have to wait for people to reveal the guts though to see if the ones being demo'd now are the actual production run, or just high end prototypes.

Jesus Christ, JVMs are made in asia now? What the fuck, Marshall

Maybe not completely, but some key components such as the PCB, etc. are not made in UK. I think what they do is physically construct the JVM in the UK, but not all of the components are UK made.

Yup.... reports are already coming in:

surprised to see this... sorry that they used the on hand DSL/JVM transformers on these. One of the main tone elements of the 2555 was the special wound interleaved transformers that were unique to that original amp.

And Sweetwater reporting a price of $1900 for the head...... about the same you can get a real Jub for. Get this though... the matching 4x12 is $1300! For 4 V30s! What a hustle. Fuck GIbson, Marshall, the lot. Sorry to say, but if you like this type of gear and you want uncompromising quality... looks like boutique or vintage is the way to go.

Edited by OmarBradley

I can see that

Still, it kind of sucks. I know how important imports are in the market and they CAN and often to make great instruments and equipment.

I still have a few issues

1. This is the big one for me, are people working in these factories treated at a tolerable level? I'm sure they aren't getting pensions and making tons, but are conditions at least within basic human rights? I just wish we had more information about these people. There was a controversy with Cort Guitars (who also make Squier, Epiphone, Jackson, Ibanez, etc) and their South Korean factory because they treated their workers so poorly. I recognize in our market, buying products made in poor conditions is almost necessary. I hate that, but its true. Since I love music, I try and buy my gear from places where I know conditions are at least OK (America, Mexico's main factories, Japan, Europe, etc). On the flip side, I know workers in these places aren't forced to work, and having these manufacturing jobs are probably better than the alternative. I just wish people were treated better. I have seen a few pictures and videos of factories in China, Korea, Indonesia, etc and the facilities at least seem pretty decent.

2. Quality. As I said, a lot of imports from the far East are actually really nice for their price points. When you compare a modern budget guitar made over seas compared to one made in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, it is often night and day. We live in an age where you truly can find a decent piece of gear at almost any price point. Cool right?! On the other side of that, though, this affects the prices of domestic- made products and no matter how decent imports are, they usually don't compare. Its become common for people to shit on American made instruments because of their pricing. If you go on reddit or another place where people talk about music. You will often see people comparing imports to American, Japanese, and even Mexican made instruments claiming them to be superior. While those imports are pretty good for the money, I don't think I have ever held or played a 'Made in China' guitar and thought "wow, this is the same thing!" Even then, the price of everything is going up. Ibanez has $1000 guitars made in Indonesia, ESP does the same with China, etc. This just continues to drive the price up for MIA, MIJ, and European equipment.

When you have a product built by better trained workers, using better materials, in a better facility, with better cared for workers, that product is going to be superior to the one made with inferior parts by someone who doesn't have all the knowledge or incentive with their job. Has anyone played an Ibanez Prestige and thought "this really is the same thing as that Ibanez JS 100 that was made in Korea?" No, because there is a difference. And in all my experience, that $700 top of the line Les Paul by Epi will not compare to that $700 LPJ by Gibson, especially if they are given the same setup.

3. Heritage. This one may seem silly, but legacy is important to me. You associate Gibsons, Fenders, Gretsch, etc with all that great British and American rock. Hell, they're iconic American brands at this point. Now ALL Gretsch guitars are made overseas. This may sound so stupid, but it sucks that almost every Gretsch under $2000 is made in China. There's no dedicated Gretsch factory over there with people who care about the legacy, they're most likely produced alongside other imports. You can also buy a "Fender" (not Squier) that was made in China, in the same factory as Squier. What makes it a Fender then? The name and increase in price? I had one for a day! Took it back because it didn't even compare to a MIM Fender, where at least Fender uses a dedicated work force, factory, and better parts. Anyone here remember Guild? They're one of my favorite acoustic brands. A great American- made instrument until the 90s. Now they are almost all made in China. I've played them, they're ok now that they're mid range guitars, but they don't compare to the Guild of old. Look at Rickenbacker, they only make a few guitars a year but have remained almost unchanged in quality. That's awesome! Now, expanding your brand is fine and I understand not every guitar company can be strictly like Rickenbacker. So, I like what PRS and Gibson do- have a separate brand for the import stuff. You want a PRS like guitar for less cash? Or a Les Paul? Cool, you have SE and Epiphone. I don't like what Fender does, where they just hand the brand name out where it seems fit to them. It seems confusing. Like, why can't the Modern Player's line be a nice Squier line? Its made in the same place by the same people!

So that's my whole thing with music equipment that's made in developing countries. I know I'm a hypocrite, and all that is probably a bad argument, but its just my opinion. If someone has a MIC Marshall or an Indonesian Stratocaster then that is AWESOME. I just prefer my gear from certain places

Edited by ZoSoRose

I don't know what factory makes LTD in Korea, nor do I know which makes PRS SE, but they are astoundingly good.

The only good thing I can say about Fender China, is judging by the Classic Vibes, their Chinese standards seems pretty high. Though I can't stand that Jackson Professionals are now Indonesian sans DK2M. They're charging Mexican prices for Indonesian. Basically Mexico is the new Japan, Korea is the new Mexico, and Indonesia is the new Korea. Everyone moved up a rung since Japan shut down.

Zoso I haven't played the new Gibson budget line, but I remember playing some faded double cuts when they came out, and they were absolute dogshit. Like, not even as good as Epiphone dogshit.

Edited by AxlisOld

I had 2 "budget" Gibsons and have played a lot.

I had that Les Paul Special for a few months. I really like that guitar, but I gave it to my friend since he was going through some shit. I play it every time I see him and its great

I also had the faded SG that was really popular. I only had it a bit, but it had a great neck and was a really dirty sounding guitar. It was a lot of fun.

Maybe I've had bad luck with Epi.I like Epi for what they are, but every time I grab one in the store I usually put it back and grab a Gibson, even a cheaper one. They just almost always play better to me. I've also played the new Les Paul JR and Doublecut and really liked them. The Doublecut in particular was awesome, but very overpriced.

The thing is, Fender China's standards are the same as almost everyone else's because there is no "Fender China". Fender contracts companies like Samick and Cort for their imports. Schecter, Ibanez, Gibson, ESP, etc all do this with their respective lines. They're all made in the same factories by the same people in China, Korea, Indonesia, etc. PRS at least uses a company called "World Music" which is supposedly pretty good. I do like the SE line. I know Gibson opened a dedicated Epi factory in China too where they can keep a better eye on workers and QC.

EDIT- and did you know, Fender still has a Japanese division! Unfortunately, they are only sold over there but they still make a ton of guitars. Its another contract sort of thing, but the quality is probably insanely good.

Edited by ZoSoRose

Yea Fender Japan is the Fuji-gen factory that made all the really good lawsuits, and now they just make their own domestic line. Fender Japan is awesome. Chushin Gakki was the Jackson/Charvel plant that shut down, and it was a travesty. Obviously you can still get guitars made in Japan, but you'll have to go through ESP, Fender, or a custom shop to do it.

And I can't agree that Chinese Fenders would be held to the same standards as other shit. The Classic Vibes are the best thing out right now from what I've heard. I've played one and it was great. Haven't played an Epi since Gibson opened their plant, mine is Korean.

Yeah, Classic Vides are really good. To be honest, I like the Classic Vibes more than the Modern Players

And I had no idea Fender Japan was in the same factories as the old lawsuits. That is seriously cool

EDIT- And to answer your question from way earlier (I cant quote on this computer) I had to buy a Les Paul new because of financing plans. I don't regret it, as I really like mine, but going used is the best way to go if you can these days

Edited by ZoSoRose

I think you don't need a premium guitar to sound good.

It the old thing, put a Squier on the hands of Malmsteen, give Zakk and Slash a Epiphone, give Brian May a chinese Red Special and they'll sound great as well, with less sustain, with less tone but still they'll sound great .

The biggest diference is the feeling when playing cheap guitars; usually the action is high which slows you down, the frets buzz, the intonation is off, you have to pick hard for the cheap pickups to capture all your nuances, ... so it's more of a problem to you than to the audience, on a blind sound evaluation I'm sure the high end guitars wouldn't always win.

Also you can improve these cheap guitars with better pickups, leveling frets, chaning the electronics, ....

To me the biggest diference in your tone will always be the amp, so I think that you should always invest more on the amp than on the guitar itself. It's hard to upgrade an amp if it isn't good, a guitar is easely upgraded.

I think you don't need a premium guitar to sound good.

It the old thing, put a Squier on the hands of Malmsteen, give Zakk and Slash a Epiphone, give Brian May a chinese Red Special and they'll sound great as well, with less sustain, with less tone but still they'll sound great .

The biggest diference is the feeling when playing cheap guitars; usually the action is high which slows you down, the frets buzz, the intonation is off, you have to pick hard for the cheap pickups to capture all your nuances, ... so it's more of a problem to you than to the audience, on a blind sound evaluation I'm sure the high end guitars wouldn't always win.

Also you can improve these cheap guitars with better pickups, leveling frets, chaning the electronics, ....

To me the biggest diference in your tone will always be the amp, so I think that you should always invest more on the amp than on the guitar itself. It's hard to upgrade an amp if it isn't good, a guitar is easely upgraded.

Definitely agree with that. I just love guitars so I like what I like lol

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I went to a local music shop where I go like once in a year.

Everytime I went there I saw this purple 100 Watt Marshall Vintage Modern halfstack and kept wondering about it, which was a total of 1700 dollar; it was there for years as a display model. The cabinet is loaded with 4 Celestion Greenback speakers.

Yesterday this half stack was at the entrance of the shop, together with other sale out items; it sure drawed my attention and I asked to test it.

I bounded with it imidiatelly - all the classic Marshall tones are there ; with less bite and brightness than a Jubilee but the same kind of tone, with better high gain (more definition) and better sustain that switches very nicely to singing feedback. I also loved the Greenbacks, never had played them before.

After little tought I bought it; just couldn't pass this great sounding Marshall halfstack for a total of ... 500 dollar, of course with normal warranty (it's a new item, has just been sitting on the store for years) :)

Yesterday I went to a local music shop where I go like once in a year.

Everytime I went there I saw this purple 100 Watt Marshall Vintage Modern halfstack and kept wondering about it, which was a total of 1700 dollar; it was there for years as a display model. The cabinet is loaded with 4 Celestion Greenback speakers.

Yesterday this half stack was at the entrance of the shop, together with other sale out items; it sure drawed my attention and I asked to test it.

I bounded with it imidiatelly - all the classic Marshall tones are there ; with less bite and brightness than a Jubilee but the same kind of tone, with better high gain (more definition) and better sustain that switches very nicely to singing feedback. I also loved the Greenbacks, never had played them before.

After little tought I bought it; just couldn't pass this great sounding Marshall halfstack for a total of ... 500 dollar, of course with normal warranty (it's a new item, has just been sitting on the store for years) :)

Wait what? You talked them down to 500 from 1700?

EDIT: Oh I see, it was on sale? That's quite a sale!!! Congrats on the purchase. I've never played a VM, but they have a good reputation and Paul Gilbert (and Slash I think too) were using them for a bit.

Edited by OmarBradley

They had put the half stack in sale out just the day before, Friday where there wasn't much movement on the store. Saturday was Valentine's day so no much movement as well , at least until I got to the shop at lunch time. They just wanted to get rid of it as well as other stuff ; as soon as I plugged the guitar I knew it had been sitting there all these years waiting for someone who really appreciate it, for me . I love the tone and how the amp is so dynamic and truthful to what you play, to your feeling; I guess it was destiny.

Paul Gilbert, Jeff Beck, Slash , Robin Trower have used it . The tone and response is 100% Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, GN'R , Nazareth , Thin Lizzy, Motley Crue; it'll be my main amp when I have a band again.

Edited by Klay
  • Like 1