Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Gear Thread

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

AxlisOld

AxlisOld

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,633 posts
  • 08-May 05

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have 3 imports already, of varying degrees of quality. (Plank with strings through outstanding). Think I'll keep saving for now.

I've got everything from American to Indonesian, quality does not come from one country. Keep a look out, but if you like Les Pauls, I'd definitely be lookjng into an EC-1000. Should be able to find one used pretty cheap.

duffman.gifstormtrooper.gif
WARNING: Consumption of alcoholic beverages will MAKE YOU AWESOME

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

Shitposter Of The Year 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts
  • 14-December 08

I would abandon ship on Epiphones in general. With the stuff coming out of Korea still at a decent price, there's no reason to pay what they're asking for Chinese. Or just get a Chibson "replica" from one of those sellers that will customize anything for you. You'd be surprised at the craftsmanship and woods youll get for 300 bucks from some of those guys.

I actually disagree, I think the Chibson counterfits are horrible and don't support them. They look nice but play horribly. It would be much better to go with something like a Tokai, Fernandes, Ibanez, or one of those old lawsuit models.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have 3 imports already, of varying degrees of quality. (Plank with strings through outstanding). Think I'll keep saving for now.

Here is the Agile I was talking about, they are VERY highly regarded for their price. Not known to be cheap creap

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a440f1f13

<p>Guns N' Roses- London Ontario 2010, Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Detroit Michigan 2012 | Slash- Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Grand Rapids Michigan 2012, Detroit Michigan 2012, Lansing Michigan 2013 | Duff McKagan- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Buckethead- Detroit Michigan 2011 | Walking Papers- Clarkston Michigan 2013 | The Dead Daisies- Clarkston Michigan 2013| Met Slash, Duff, Ron, Richard, Dizzy and DJ

AxlisOld

AxlisOld

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 9,633 posts
  • 08-May 05

I would abandon ship on Epiphones in general. With the stuff coming out of Korea still at a decent price, there's no reason to pay what they're asking for Chinese. Or just get a Chibson "replica" from one of those sellers that will customize anything for you. You'd be surprised at the craftsmanship and woods youll get for 300 bucks from some of those guys.

I actually disagree, I think the Chibson counterfits are horrible and don't support them. They look nice but play horribly. It would be much better to go with something like a Tokai, Fernandes, Ibanez, or one of those old lawsuit models
It does depend on the seller/maker. I should have specified, they can be MADE INTO great guitars. A lot of the time the fretwork and wood are both excellent,and swapping pickups and hardware goes a long way for them.

The problem with the lawsuits is that they're too well known now. You will be hard pressed to get a Tokai for under 700, and at that point just buy a used Gibskn Standard.

duffman.gifstormtrooper.gif
WARNING: Consumption of alcoholic beverages will MAKE YOU AWESOME

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

• Members
  • 4,343 posts
  • 14-December 08

I actually disagree, I think the Chibson counterfits are horrible and don't support them. They look nice but play horribly. It would be much better to go with something like a Tokai, Fernandes, Ibanez, or one of those old lawsuit models
It does depend on the seller/maker. I should have specified, they can be MADE INTO great guitars. A lot of the time the fretwork and wood are both excellent,and swapping pickups and hardware goes a long way for them.

The problem with the lawsuits is that they're too well known now. You will be hard pressed to get a Tokai for under 700, and at that point just buy a used Gibskn Standard.

That's true, the price of a lawsuit is now the price of a high end Epi/ low end Gibby/ or an Orville. I still don't like Chibson, they're just fakes made from the bottom of the barrel of materials and they have ripped many of people off.

For a "Les Paul" on the cheap I guess I would rather go with an Epi or Agile or another reputable import copy. Although honestly, I'd rather just save a bit more up and buy a Gibson Les Paul Special or Studio or something like that

<p>Guns N' Roses- London Ontario 2010, Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Detroit Michigan 2012 | Slash- Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Grand Rapids Michigan 2012, Detroit Michigan 2012, Lansing Michigan 2013 | Duff McKagan- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Buckethead- Detroit Michigan 2011 | Walking Papers- Clarkston Michigan 2013 | The Dead Daisies- Clarkston Michigan 2013| Met Slash, Duff, Ron, Richard, Dizzy and DJ

OmarBradley

OmarBradley

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • 30-August 13

That's true, the price of a lawsuit is now the price of a high end Epi/ low end Gibby/ or an Orville. I still don't like Chibson, they're just fakes made from the bottom of the barrel of materials and they have ripped many of people off.

For a "Les Paul" on the cheap I guess I would rather go with an Epi or Agile or another reputable import copy. Although honestly, I'd rather just save a bit more up and buy a Gibson Les Paul Special or Studio or something like that

Can get used Classics or sometimes Standards on Craigslist for $1400, or less, I've seen Classics go for $1200, albeit this wasn't recently as I haven't been checking. Bud I'd imagine they're in that region. Find one with a large blemish but still plays perfectly? Chances are it's going for $1100 or $1000, a steal for that guitar at that price.

GNR - Hammerstein Ballroom 5/17/06, Continental Airlines Arena 11/08/06, Susquehanna Bank Center 11/26/11   VR - Starland Ballroom 5/18/07, PNC Bank Arts Center 8/17/07
Slash - Borgata 5/22/10 and 9/17/10,  Terminal 5 9/14/10, Rams Head 5/3/12, Irving Plaza 5/22/12, Wellmont Theatre 8/3/12, House of Blues 9/14/12, Sands Bethlehem Event Center 7/16/13, Jones Beach Theater 7/10/14 

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

• Members
  • 4,343 posts
  • 14-December 08

Can get used Classics or sometimes Standards on Craigslist for $1400, or less, I've seen Classics go for $1200, albeit this wasn't recently as I haven't been checking. Bud I'd imagine they're in that region. Find one with a large blemish but still plays perfectly? Chances are it's going for $1100 or $1000, a steal for that guitar at that price.

Oh yeah, its a great time to buy on the used market. That may change though wwith new price increases :(

There are new deals too, i justbought my signature t new for a little under 2k, a great value for what is essentially a traditional or older standard

TeeJay410

TeeJay410

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • 13-March 06

The black LP pictured was a lawsuit one. Threw some seymour duncans in it and new electronics and it plays great. With a little bit of love it can play and look like a gibson at the fraction of the cost.

However, if you want a les paul, just save for it. I tried getting a bunch of les paul copies but I was never truly satisfied until I got a real one. I have the copy as a back up/travel guitar. If you buy and soup up a copy, you'll end up wanting another guitar in a couple years, when you could have just saved or bit the bullet and grabbed the real thing instead of having two guitars that aren't exactly what you want. If you can find a way to make it work, it's worth it. Consider it an investment in a guitar you may have for the rest of your life. 

Posted Image
Now fully aligned with those who must not be named.

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

• Members
  • 4,343 posts
  • 14-December 08

The black LP pictured was a lawsuit one. Threw some seymour duncans in it and new electronics and it plays great. With a little bit of love it can play and look like a gibson at the fraction of the cost.

However, if you want a les paul, just save for it. I tried getting a bunch of les paul copies but I was never truly satisfied until I got a real one. I have the copy as a back up/travel guitar. If you buy and soup up a copy, you'll end up wanting another guitar in a couple years, when you could have just saved or bit the bullet and grabbed the real thing instead of having two guitars that aren't exactly what you want. If you can find a way to make it work, it's worth it. Consider it an investment in a guitar you may have for the rest of your life. 

For real. I have one of those weird "in between, not an internship but not a permanent job" sort of thing so my salary is shit (its for the experience!). I still managed to get a Les Paul Signature T because of financing, me wanting it, and because I'm an idiot.

The Glow Inc.

The Glow Inc.

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 5,183 posts
  • 13-May 09

Finally got my new Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus.

The Classic 57s were replaced by french Kami NoPaf pickups.  They are simply the best pickups I've ever played. So articulate and dynamic.

It looks and sounds like this :

414751eomgnr.jpg
         Check this out and Join the Tribe

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

• Members
  • 4,343 posts
  • 14-December 08

Finally got my new Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus.

The Classic 57s were replaced by french Kami NoPaf pickups.  They are simply the best pickups I've ever played. So articulate and dynamic.

It looks and sounds like this :

Beautiful! I considered a Traditional instead of my Signature. I love my 57 Classics, but Ill check those Kamis out

The Glow Inc.

The Glow Inc.

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 5,183 posts
  • 13-May 09

Thank you.

Kamis are waaaaaaaaaay overpriced. The guy who makes them probably went insane or something because after getting some recognition, he started charging 500 bucks per pickup.

This guitar already had them installed so I didn't really have to pay for them.

Final samples, with a heavier overdriven sound this time :

414751eomgnr.jpg

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

• Members
  • 4,343 posts
  • 14-December 08

They sound great! But 500 a pickup? No thanks, I'll stick with my 57s!

OmarBradley

OmarBradley

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • 30-August 13

Yeah no matter how good it sounds, there's no pick-up I'd really consider paying more than $200 or so for, maybe an original PAF, or a Shaw, because of the value that those pick-ups will hold over time.

As good as a $500 pick-up  may sound, chances are there's a $100-$200 pick up that sounds just as good or better out there. And we have to remember, there's a bazillion other things in the line that affect tone, and people have different tastes.

GNR - Hammerstein Ballroom 5/17/06, Continental Airlines Arena 11/08/06, Susquehanna Bank Center 11/26/11   VR - Starland Ballroom 5/18/07, PNC Bank Arts Center 8/17/07
Slash - Borgata 5/22/10 and 9/17/10,  Terminal 5 9/14/10, Rams Head 5/3/12, Irving Plaza 5/22/12, Wellmont Theatre 8/3/12, House of Blues 9/14/12, Sands Bethlehem Event Center 7/16/13, Jones Beach Theater 7/10/14 

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

• Members
  • 4,343 posts
  • 14-December 08

Yeah no matter how good it sounds, there's no pick-up I'd really consider paying more than $200 or so for, maybe an original PAF, or a Shaw, because of the value that those pick-ups will hold over time.

As good as a $500 pick-up  may sound, chances are there's a $100-$200 pick up that sounds just as good or better out there. And we have to remember, there's a bazillion other things in the line that affect tone, and people have different tastes.

Agreed. It really is insane how many things affect tone- Pups, the guitar itself, amps, pedals, and how you actually play the thing

The Glow Inc.

The Glow Inc.

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 5,183 posts
  • 13-May 09

Yeah 500 euros simply isn't realistic. Hadn't heard of any brand practising this kind of prices before.

Don't think he gets as many orders as he used to now...

414751eomgnr.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users