The Gear Thread

Thanks for the info, I am pretty much 100% on getting one of these now. I had a JCM2000 and 4x12 with greenbacks when I was playing on stage; whilst it won't be an exact speaker match, Marshalls and V30s are still a sweet combo! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard Red Sparkle Top/Dark Back guitar with a set of Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II Pro Humbucker pickups & my new/bought this week Marshall SL5..

013.JPG

Not seen but certainly still in the picture, my KORG AX3000G multi effects pedal;  I run this amp clean with the reverb off and use this pedal, but LOVE the.. Much needed upgrade of an amp, for me. I needed a better amp than what I had and this is what I got.

Might have it modded later though? IDK. Not a bad little practise amp.

Edited by Snake-Pit

On 5/13/2016 at 8:48 AM, Snake-Pit said:

My 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard Red Sparkle Top/Dark Back guitar with a set of Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II Pro Humbucker pickups & my new/bought this week Marshall SL5..

Not seen but certainly still in the picture, my KORG AX3000G multi effects pedal;  I run this amp clean with the reverb off and use this pedal, but LOVE the.. Much needed upgrade of an amp, for me. I needed a better amp than what I had and this is what I got.

Might have it modded later though? IDK. Not a bad little practise amp.

I had a SL5 for some time. Bought it for $375, sold it for $525, now they sell for ~$700 here!

What mods? More gain? Just throw an EQ/boost/OD in front.

Edited by OmarBradley

Hey guys thought been meaning to post my gear up so here it is!

On the left is my Tokai ALS-48. If you don't know about Tokai's ya better ask somebody! What a beautiful sounding guitar and is my weapon for hard rock and also anything more stripped back and clean. Absolutely wipes the floor with Epiphone's and some would say give Gibsons a good run for their money.

On the right is the ESP ltd ec 1000 Deluxe. I've taken the EMG's out of this and had Dirty Heshers by Lace pickups put in. These pickups are badass and just loooove drop tunings with high gain which is perfect because this guitar stays in drop C.

These babies are brought to life by a 2x12 Marshall 2061cx cab and the mighty Orange Dark Terror, is there a better high gain head out there for under a grand? Has a surprisingly lovely clean tone too and plan on keeping for a while. Have been thinking about getting a Silver jubilee Marshall down the track though my dream is a Friedman JJ, but at over 5k will probably stay just a dream.

IMG_20160519_192559218.jpg

• Like 1

On 20/05/2016 at 1:48 AM, SoundOfAGun said:

The new amp arrived today!!

20160520_142921.jpg

IMG-20160520-WA0004.jpeg

Let me guess you've been watching Anderton's "sound like" series haha, they've certainly been bigging up this amp and it really seems to cover plenty of area tone wise. Would anyone have an idea of a head that Marshall have which is similar?.

I have seen the videos, but I have had my eye on this for over a year. I used to play through a JCM 2000 DSL 100 into a greenback loaded 1960 B cab and I have always loved that sound. I got a Blackstar HT5-R last year and liked it for a while, but it had a bit of a digital sound to the distortion. I got that 1x12 as I read that a Celestion V30 sounded great with the Blackstar and it did sound better, but still wasn't where I wanted to be, tone wise.

The DSL40C just has that roar, it is like poking a stick at a caged tiger! I wish they made a head version, but the closest you will get is the DSL100H in triode mode or one of the old 50 watt JCM 2000 heads.

1 hour ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I have seen the videos, but I have had my eye on this for over a year. I used to play through a JCM 2000 DSL 100 into a greenback loaded 1960 B cab and I have always loved that sound. I got a Blackstar HT5-R last year and liked it for a while, but it had a bit of a digital sound to the distortion. I got that 1x12 as I read that a Celestion V30 sounded great with the Blackstar and it did sound better, but still wasn't where I wanted to be, tone wise.

The DSL40C just has that roar, it is like poking a stick at a caged tiger! I wish they made a head version, but the closest you will get is the DSL100H in triode mode or one of the old 50 watt JCM 2000 heads.

Ah yes the DSL100h is on my radar for sure and quite affordable.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some time to record a quick demo of the new amp last night. This demo only has a high pass filter on each guitar at 40hz to trim off the low end junk, the middle guitar has compression and a slapback delay on it. I am going to enjoy recording with this amp!

I went a local rehearsal studio yesterday (Scream Studios, on the A23 in Croydon), played on a Marshall JCM 900... Wasn't bad. Wasn't through a Marshal speaker, I think some 'generic one' didn't think to check. Was there for 4 hours with a djembe drummer.

Bought my guitar slide along, and my go to guitar/Gibson... and... at one point with the guitar slide and the djembe... Sounded a bit like the theme from Breaking Bad; Sounded way cool, I do like the distortion of the Marshall JCM 900 though; I don't love the tone, per say, but it's still a really nice tone; I prefer it to the Marshall JCM 800.

It was just guitar to amp, no Korg AX3000G like I use at home.

Edited by Snake-Pit

On 6/1/2016 at 0:11 PM, Snake-Pit said:

I went a local rehearsal studio yesterday (Scream Studios, on the A23 in Croydon), played on a Marshall JCM 900... Wasn't bad. Wasn't through a Marshal speaker, I think some 'generic one' didn't think to check. Was there for 4 hours with a djembe drummer.

Bought my guitar slide along, and my go to guitar/Gibson... and... at one point with the guitar slide and the djembe... Sounded a bit like the theme from Breaking Bad; Sounded way cool, I do like the distortion of the Marshall JCM 900 though; I don't love the tone, per say, but it's still a really nice tone; I prefer it to the Marshall JCM 800.

It was just guitar to amp, no Korg AX3000G like I use at home.

Never played an 800, but I used to play through a 900 head at our rehearsal rooms until I got my 2000. I always thought that they got a bad rep for no real reason. I know that they have diode clipping to push more gain, but so did the Jubilee and people love that amp. 900s aren't amazing, but you can at least get a serviceable gain sound out of them without turning the fucker up to hearing loss levels. Speakers make a big difference as well, V30s and Greenbacks always sound great to me, the standard 75s in Marshall cabs are still good enough, but the V30s and Greenbacks are tone monsters!

Edited by SoundOfAGun

7 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I know that they have diode clipping to push more gain, but so did the Jubilee and people love that amp. 900s aren't amazing, but you can at least get a serviceable gain sound out of them without turning the fucker up to hearing loss levels...

Yeah, I don't like the gain on the JCM 800, so I was expecting the same with the JCM 900, thankfully though; it wasn't the case.

The JCM 900's got a smoother gain tone than the JCM 800 but still retains the wherewithal of clarity and crispness found in the JCM 800; it's tone puts you in the driver's seat of a very cool car, its gain is smooth but powerful and accompanies you all the way and there's that JCM 800-like punch remaining giving you full control allowing you to do stunts in the turns with perfect handling, it's a nice amp; the JCM 900, way nicer than I expected it to be. The gain on the JCM 800 is like trying to get an old classic car around the same turns without power steering; You could be with the JCM 800 all day looking for a tone you love with the gain on the JCM 800, but with the JCM 900; A tweak here, a tweak there on the all the settings and, you're good to go, all day long having fun doing as much stunts as you please with its control, and, an amp like the JCM 900; is perfect (come to think of it) to work with (for my own playing); The nuances found in the gain with the clarity of the 800-like sharpness coupled with it's gain, that, let's be honest, is very nice; make for some very important practise (with timing and sustain and what not); I would buy the JCM 900 over the JCM 800 any day, truth be told, I bought my SL5 over a JCM 800 and a cabinet. Money was no object but even then when I got my SL5 I... Gave the 800 one last chance and knew I didn't want it, but I know that amp, it's nice I guess, just, not for my money for the tone that I want; Plus it burned me. :lol:

The JCM 900 didn't feel like sex to me, but was still a nice tone, did have sex appeal, a bit.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Yeah they always worked pretty good with the 747 settings on the eq with the gain at around 6-7. Nothing like a stack, I miss those days! We once played a gig in a tiny little pub and our mate lent us two 4x12s so we had full stacks on a tiny little stage!

IMG-20160522-WA0010.jpg

Edited by SoundOfAGun
  • Like 1

NGD! Well...kinda. Got this a month ago-ish, I just don't post very often.

charvel-pro-mod-so-cal-style-1-hh-guitar

Oh my FUCK this guitar plays sweet. And it is built to play fucking fast. I have 3 different Japanese Charvels and Jacksons, and this lives up to them so well. If you're apprehensive about a Charvel or Jackson because they moved to Mexico, DO NOT BE.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

NGD! Well...kinda. Got this a month ago-ish, I just don't post very often.

charvel-pro-mod-so-cal-style-1-hh-guitar

Oh my FUCK this guitar plays sweet. And it is built to play fucking fast. I have 3 different Japanese Charvels and Jacksons, and this lives up to them so well. If you're apprehensive about a Charvel or Jackson because they moved to Mexico, DO NOT BE.

It looks like a sweet axe! Great colour too! What pickup are in there? 

I would like a new guitar, but given that I have spent just under £2000 on gear this year already, it is likely to be a sticking point with Mrs SoundOfAGun.....

They are both Ducan Distortions. They're like an organic, crunchy, EMG 81. I have a JB/59 combo in my DK2M that is awesome, a little lower gain, little clearer, but these Distortions are badass. 

I got this thing from a dealer on eBay for $519. The 2016 models seem even better, they come with coil splitting and easier truss rod adjustment. I think the necks have more reinforcement as well.

14 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

They are both Ducan Distortions. They're like an organic, crunchy, EMG 81. I have a JB/59 combo in my DK2M that is awesome, a little lower gain, little clearer, but these Distortions are badass. 

I got this thing from a dealer on eBay for $519. The 2016 models seem even better, they come with coil splitting and easier truss rod adjustment. I think the necks have more reinforcement as well.

I had a 2008 USA Charvel San Dimas with the JB/59 combo for a few months last year. I didn't like it that much. Maybe it just wasn't for me. I have heard the 2016 MIM models are pretty good. $519 is a sweet deal for that guitar.

I just put a Duncan Distortion in my Epiphone BB, good replacement pickup for the junk Epiphone puts in.

I'll have to upload some new pictures/new info. My gear has changed a lot since I've last posted.

I'd like to get opinions from some amp nerds. I tried some old Bassmans but it never sounded like this particular amp and others I have heard on YouTube.

The dude who played this sold it cause he needed the money. Do you like how this sounds and have you ever played something that sounds close to this?

2:43-2:50 :drool: (quality of the sound in the clip is pretty shitty)

Edited by Rovim

It sounds good. I know nothing about Fender/cleanish amps though, so I wouldn't know where to guide you. 

I like the sound, though I've never played anything like it. You can get 60's Bassmans for pretty cheap I think, then maybe mod them to '59 spec? Though I'm guessing the original speakers and cab are contributing to the sound in that video. It's a bit tough to hear the talking at the beginning of the video, but I believe he says he has NOS Tung Sols in the amp - that would also cause a noticeable improvement in the amp's tone vs. amps you've played that had newer tubes.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Thinking of getting back into gear collecting

Want to start a small pedal board :) I need  good distortion, any ideas?

I've got a few suggestions, but I'll need to know what sound you are after specifically. This is a cool one imo:

Edited by Rovim

Metal Muff. Good call. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I'm guessing you're looking something with a hard rock bite. Try the MI áudio crunch box, MXR custom badass '78 distortion or even the BOSS DS-1, it has a nice stock distortion and there's so many mods for it that you will be able to Taylor it to your needs. Now, if you wanna go balls to the wall try the WMD Geiger conter.