The Gear Thread

Yes. A compressor and reverse delay :)

I've got to say : Pod HD 500 is great for the price and if you're not too picky and can do without that distinctive tube warmth.

I've been looking into Axe-fx lately and they seem incredible. Would want to buy one because I'm much more of a recording guitarist than a live one and because I can't have a tube amp in my flat because that would be way too noisy.

Anybody has or has tried an Axe Fx around here ? :)

No. Never tried one personally. I'll check with a local store to see if I can try one out so I can give you some of my thoughts on it. I did search for some videos and I thought that the rectifier like sound was awesome and really accurate (I'm a complete rectifier addict, I know what I'm talking about).

Edited by Chewbacca

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new contest from MXR:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/contest/custom-badass-distortion-contest?utm_source=Subscribers&utm_campaign=bd1ae3b905-May_Newsletter5_9_2011&utm_medium=email

They're giving 20 Custom Badass '78 Distortion pedals away. If you wanna that hard-hitting, old school tone for your sound then you should really give this contest a shot.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by Chewbacca

• 2 weeks later...

PGS made a trip to Denmark to visit the T.C. Electronics HQ.

Look who's there at 2:45.

BTW, Whammy fans, like myself, Digitech is working on a new version of their masterpiece. Check it out:

http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/whammy-dt

And I thought it couldn't get any bigger... :rofl-lol:

Edited by Chewbacca

Also been wanting to try out the Axe FX myself. IS the POD HD much of an improvement over the POD X3? Never really liked how thin those things were. Had to EQ the hell out of it then quadruple track everything to sound good.

Never tried the X3 myself. Only had a TonePort UX2 before and it was a HUUUUUUUGE imporvement over it.

Mmmh. I'd say that with a decent guitar, no need to EQ the fuck out of the HD500 provided you've spent a bit of time toying and tweaking the patches. Also, the amp models clean up pretty much like a tube amp at the turn of the volume knob, the dynamics are believable and "almost there".

It's pretty good for the price but, once again, I don't know how it compares to the X3.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

I never gave that much attention to amp simulator pedals, but I gotta admit that these are quite impressive:

Marshall in a (smaller) box

This is the one I tried (plugged on a Marshall JCM800 2203)

Believe me. This stompbox can easily turn an EL34 into a 6L6 with a rectifier diode.

I wonder what these pedals would sound like in front of their role models... an additional channel, perhaps?

What's up with Digitech lately? First the whammy DT and now this:

What's this supposed to be? Are they gonna really release something that will blow up our minds (not that the whammy DT isn't cool enough, but I'm expecting something bigger for all this drama...)? Or are they just preparing a new ID for their website? Maybe both?

Man I'm really looking forward to it. I just hope it's not some kind of mega multi-effects, nothing wrong with it, but I really prefer the compact pedals formula.

Personally i dont see the point in having a signature Wah pedal.

I play through a standard Jim Dunlop Crybaby and sounds fine.

People say that if you truley want someone's tone then you need their rig. for example the Slash Crybaby. Not true in my eyes, Slash didn't have that pedal during his GnR days, which, lets face it. Are what Slash is known for. So to spend £109 on a Crybaby to sound like slash is pointless. Expanding on this point though a little, it's the same with signature guitars/basses. I'd love to have the Duff McKagan Fender Jazz special. But as someone pointed out. Yeah for a while it's like "yeah i got a bass like duff" then the novelty wears off and you realise, your still just playing a bass. Having their sound and gear doesn't make you any better. End of the day it's you and an instrument.

True. But, like I stated before, I didn't buy the JC95 for its signature. Nope. I bought it for its tone knob (also available on other wahs) and its awesome lows, I have a crush on downtuned stuff you know. I was considering a "Howlin' Wolf" mod by tonehunter... but the JC95 had a "better" price.

The videos aren't just a showcase for their wahs, they did show what these guys were looking for. Understanding what they wanted their tones to be will make you understand what you like/don't like about them and, eventually, will help you building your own voice.

BTW...I finally found a decent demo for this:

Using this along with a wah/expression pedal will get you a micless talk box (actually, this was already possible by using a Digitech XSW on vowel mode (or any pedal capable of producing vowel sounds) + wah.

One more:

Edited by Chewbacca

Here's What I'm Running

Fender Twin Reverb Reissue

Danelectro - Reel Echo

Morpheus DropTune

Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer

Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer

Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer

Ibanez TS808HW Tube Screamer

Boss AC3 - Acoustic Simulator

Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah Pedal

Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner

I literally have all the tube screamers hooked up at the same time, each tuned in differently. I switch between my Stevie Ray Fender Stratocaster and an Epiphone Les Paul.

I love TS's. Using a Tube Screamer (or any OD pedal) as an additional channel is an awesome strategy. I prefer using a Nobels ODR S or the CM 2 for that purpose.

I love the Nobels, unlike other tubescreamer wannabes, this green guy seems to have an unique personality (and a nice 3 band EQ :thumbsup:). Too bad the jacks aren't placed sideways...

This is the normal, single-tone knob version. 4:43 Slaves And Bulldozers rock3

Say... is the hand wired version THAT superior compared to the stock pedal? it sure is way more expensive...

Jerry Cantrell's been using one lately:

Sorry about the late response. The TS808HW is not that superior. There is a slight difference in tone, but not much. In fact, I just bought it to see what all the fuss was about and was going to return it after a week or so. I ended up liking it so much that I kept it. Same with the Morpheus DropTune. The fact that it comes with that GIGANTIC metal box as a case doesn't help with the price much. It should be priced closer to the other models in my opinion.

Thanks for answering. TBH I didn't really think that the HW version would be that superior.

Dunlop is holding a new contest here:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/dunlop-tortex-photo-contest?utm_source=Subscribers&utm_campaign=94a4ab7860-June_Newsletter6_9_2011&utm_medium=email

Submit a pic of your tortex and enter for a chance to win a ten year supply of them tortex picks.

Good luck, everybody.

Oh! there's also a $1000,00 spree for the winner.

Edited by Chewbacca

Ok. Here's the new thing Digitech was talking about:

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/ipb-10

A giant multieffects full of features. That's cool, but that's not for me.

Drowning Pool (the band) is holding a contest for a signature B.C. Rich. Just like them at Facebook. Is it just me or this "like-us-on-facebook--in-order-to-get-your-ass-on-the-contest" thing became a trend?

http://www.facebook.com/drowningpool

Edited by Chewbacca

People say that if you truley want someone's tone then you need their rig. for example the Slash Crybaby. Not true in my eyes, Slash didn't have that pedal during his GnR days, which, lets face it. Are what Slash is known for. So to spend £109 on a Crybaby to sound like slash is pointless. Expanding on this point though a little, it's the same with signature guitars/basses. I'd love to have the Duff McKagan Fender Jazz special. But as someone pointed out. Yeah for a while it's like "yeah i got a bass like duff" then the novelty wears off and you realise, your still just playing a bass. Having their sound and gear doesn't make you any better. End of the day it's you and an instrument.

the slash wah is ment to have a better bypass than a normal crybaby also its ment to sound better with high gain

True and not true at the same time. I do own the Slash Wah, but I got it for the same price as a regular Crybaby (used, anyways) so I figured why not get that cool red finish for the same price.

As for signature guitars, it really depends. My main guitar now is a Peavey EVH Wolfgang, which I didn't buy for the Van Halen name (although I am certainly a huge fan). I bought it just for the neck. I like a fat neck but also like a shorter scale since I have tiny hands. This neck is the best of both worlds (no pun intended) and I can honestly say it's the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. Sounds great and has a licensed Floyd Rose so beyond the name, it's a fantastic guitar. It's also got the EVH D-Tuna to drop tune with ease.

I also have a Brian May Red Special, another signature guitar but another guitar that is worth it because of its sheer uniqueness. The pick-up selecting/phasing and amount of tones this beast can get made it totally worth the great price I paid.

Overall, I'd say it just really depends on the guitar. Some signature guitars are literally exactly like the standard model, and in those cases you're totally right - it's not worth it. Many people don't realize much of your tone actually comes from your fingers and the way you play.

That being said, I own the Slash Appetite Les Paul and the Ace Frehley Les Paul (both the Epiphone versions) - those were just for the collection. ;)

The Ace sounds badass and the three pick-ups just look cool. The Appetite is dead on to Slash's tone. I get a lot of compliments on the look and the sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Donegan's (Disturbed) rig:

I really like his weapon sig pedal. I love that sitar/bassballs sound

BTW, Paul Stanley, I'm planning to use a D-tuna on a Floyd bearing baritone guitar (Ernie Ball baritone string set 13-72) to switch between Standard A# tuning (A#/D#/G#/C#/F/A#) and drop G# (G#/D#/G#/C#/F/A#). Did you ever tried to use your D-tuna on lower tunings/ heavier strings? Did you have any problems with it?

Edited by Chewbacca

• 3 weeks later...

This time dunlop is giving away a year supply of their string along with a shopping spree, an Egnater Tweaker-40 112 combo amplifier (tube) and a G&L Rampage Jerry Cantrell Sig guitar.

Open to US legal residents only.

Good Luck.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/contest/dunlop-strings-contest?utm_source=Subscribers&utm_campaign=caddf49c3e-Dunlop_August_Newsletter8_5_2011&utm_medium=email

Just answer the survey.

That's pretty nice, Glow. DBZ's are amazing. Adam Zadel, one of my favorite artists, from SOiL also uses one. I personally prefer the Mondials, but the Boleros are just great.

Thanks for sharing this awesome with us. :thumbsup:

BTW, the truss rod cover, what is it made of?

Edited by Chewbacca