The Gear Thread

@OmarBradley and @ZoSoRose: (others as well)

This Les Paul Traditional is going for 1700$, but I think I could get the seller to let go for 1600. You can check it out if you right click on the link and open in new tab, scroll down and click "Gibson Les Paul Traditional. (one before the last) Click on the small pic for a larger one. The flame on it is perfect. It's Killing me! do you think it's sexy enough to pull the trigger on? very long drive, wasn't planning on it, but the dude wrote it sounds as good as it looks. What would you do?

http://www.yad2.co.il/Yad2/Yad2.php?SalesCatID=4&SalesSubCatID=20&Order=price&Desc=DESC&Page=5

Edited by Rovim

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

@OmarBradley and @ZoSoRose: (others as well)

This Les Paul Traditional is going for 1700$, but I think I could get the seller to let go for 1600. You can check it out if you right click on the link and open in new tab, scroll down and click "Gibson Les Paul Traditional. (one before the last) Click on the small pic for a larger one. The flame on it is perfect. It's Killing me! do you think it's sexy enough to pull the trigger on? very long drive, wasn't planning on it, but the dude wrote it sounds as good as it looks. What would you do?

http://www.yad2.co.il/Yad2/Yad2.php?SalesCatID=4&SalesSubCatID=20&Order=price&Desc=DESC&Page=5

If thats a good price in your country I say go for it. Thats fair for the US too. Did you ever get the strat?

• Like 1

On 5/2/2017 at 0:08 AM, Rovim said:

Got it, I like it, you can't mistake it for another pedal. It has some of that Bogner sound. I like the natural tone you can get with it (compared to some of my other pedals, not amps) and the different gain structures.

I want the BE-OD as well. Sounds like a great pedal from the clips I've seen.

you play? why have you not posted here?? :) would love to hear you!

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

If thats a good price in your country I say go for it. Thats fair for the US too. Did you ever get the strat?

Yeah, the Strat is my main guitar for sure. But I "only" got 1 LP standard with lock in tuners and a US Tele. Not planning on gigging with the Strat, so I want a really nice LP for recording and playing in doors as well.

It's about 100$ more expensive than 2 other nice LP's. One is a Gold Top traditional and the other one is a soft burst traditional both from 2012. But they come with stock pickups and don't look half as cool.

I'll go for it if it's still available, it's a 4 hour drive and I'm still recovering from Strat gettin'. But 1 cancerous day and then a lifetime of joy.

Edited by Rovim

If you like your rig as it is @ZoSoRose, no reason to trade IMO. I've only played a 900 once, and I don't remember it. $600 is an good price, but again if you like your tone, I wouldn't do it. If you can play the 900 first and it's clear that you like it better, that's a different story.

Rovim that top is nice, looks slightly a slightly less faded version of the "faded" tops. I don't like the pickup config, I prefer neck closed, bride open :shrugs:but that can be changed. Here $1,600 is a solid deal on a flamed Trad, I've seen better but not too often. Other details matter though for the Traditionals that can effect value: year/weight relief, tuning system, and electronics.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Local shop just got a JCM 900 combo in for $600. If I trade in my Blues Deluxe and return the Friedman BE OD I can probably get it.

What do I do???? HELP @OmarBradley @James Bond @Klay @SoundOfAGun @AxlisOld @Silverburst80 etc!

What do you guys think of the JCM 900s? I've heard mixed things but youtube demos always sound kick ass to me and an old, British made Marshall really appeals to me. It'd just suck unloading my amp for it and not liking it more. Trying it in the store won't give me a great idea on how it sounds with a band, either, so I want as many opinions as I can get.

Thanks!

EDIT- Its the JCM 900 4102 combo

I've played quite a few times the head version. This is the Dual Reverb, there's another version of the 900 series that's the SL-X that sounds even better to me.

This amp gives you the traditional Marshall voicing which is great for classic rock, sounds like a Marshall should and I think it's much better than the Blues Deluxe if you're into rock. However this is not the most loved Marshall ever.

I do prefer other Marshalls on the same price range that are also very common to find - the DSL or even better the Vintage Modern, one of my fav Marshalls ever. If you want the ultimate Marshall then go for a 800 2203 or it's combo version (the single channel one).

3 hours ago, Klay said:

I've played quite a few times the head version. This is the Dual Reverb, there's another version of the 900 series that's the SL-X that sounds even better to me.

This amp gives you the traditional Marshall voicing which is great for classic rock, sounds like a Marshall should and I think it's much better than the Blues Deluxe if you're into rock. However this is not the most loved Marshall ever.

I do prefer other Marshalls on the same price range that are also very common to find - the DSL or even better the Vintage Modern, one of my fav Marshalls ever. If you want the ultimate Marshall then go for a 800 2203 or it's combo version (the single channel one).

The vintage modern and 800 are a little too expensive for me (around 1000). Im not ready for a head and cab, too big and loud, so Im looking at combos.

Ill go play the Dual Reverb today and compare it to my Blues Deluxe. If the cleans are good and if it takes my pedals well, Ill probably do it! I like JCM 2000s too.

And @Iron MikeyJ has the JCM900 SLX head. Ive played his and really liked it.

Edited by ZoSoRose

Ya I have the 900 SL-X. It's an bitchy amp that's for sure. I have found sweet spots on it (at higher volumes) that sound AMAZING. Finding that perfect spot can be tough though, especially when sound checking before a gig in an empty venue. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Whelp, I went in and the fuses were blown so I couldnt try the JCM900. Store owner said theyd call me when it works, but also told me I probably wouldnt be as happy with a high gain amp and should stick to stomp boxes. He was really cool and spent some time with me helping me arrange my effects differently. He also suggested a speaker change to make my tone less harsh. Think I may do that 

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Whelp, I went in and the fuses were blown so I couldnt try the JCM900. Store owner said theyd call me when it works, but also told me I probably wouldnt be as happy with a high gain amp and should stick to stomp boxes. He was really cool and spent some time with me helping me arrange my effects differently. He also suggested a speaker change to make my tone less harsh. Think I may do that 

Blown fuses can also be a sign of other problems with the amp, could end up expensive if the board is fucked....

Yeah I definitely would not be the guy to ask about tone stuff. I still play my old Marshall Valvestate 232 with a Vox Tonelab pedal. Sounds fine to me, but I've never been one of the "tone seekers." I know Marshalls can get you heavier with a crunch, and Fender would be more suited to a smoother blues overdrive. Though I may get called out on BS on that.

Ok, well, today was a gear cluster fuck.

Went to guitar center to return the Friedman BE-OD in case I wanted to use the cash for the JCM900. Ended up locking my keys in my car so my dad had to come with the spare... good start. Then, I went to the shop with the JCM900 (which is an awesome store. Gear heaven). Sadly, as I stated above the fuses were blown. The owner tried to replace them on the spot but he didn't have the right ones on hand. He asked why I wanted to switch amps and I told him I thought my amp was a little harsh and thought amp distortion would sound more "full" in a band. He said stomp boxes should do the trick fine and spent some time with me going over my rig. Super cool of him. He said my tone is indeed pretty harsh, and a speaker change would help a ton since the stock speakers on BDRIs and Hot Rod Deluxes are known to be sub par.

I got home and spent a few hours looking into replacement speakers and found a used Eminence Swamp Thang for 50 bucks so I ordered it. Seems to be a big step up with good bottom end and break up. I also thought about re-buying the Friedman BE-OD cause its an awesome pedal, but I found a Bogner Ecstasy Blue on Reverb for $145. I have always loved that pedal and figure my Alexander Jubilee can handle high gain well enough so I ordered the Blue on a whim.

I'll still go try the JCM900 for the hell of it when its fixed, but I don't think it will be a better amp than my Fender.

Gear buying/trading is stressful... all in all, I hope my purchases today were smart.

EDIT- The order for the Ecstasy Blue was just canceled. Damn... what an annoying day

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

I know what you mean. I'm having what I like to call the "first world gear problems" of my own right now. My absolute dream SG Custom is at my fingertips but the Canadian dollar is too far down in the pisser for me to pull the trigger.

• Like 1

Well, today was a good day!

On a whim found an add on craigslist for a Marshall Class 5 combo for 300 posted only 20 minutes prior to me checking. I know it may not cut it live or in rehersals, but this amp has always interested me. An all tube, UK made, mini plexi? Hell yes. Offered him 250 and he said yes, said he had a few more people ask about it already today but since I had first dibs he saved it for me as long as I could meet him tonight.

Its mine now! He said its about 7 years old but it is in mint condition and even still has the manual with it. Played it for a few hours tonight, and holy shit, it gets LOUD. It sounds so fucking good. So crisp and clean to play and the way it breaks up slowly as you increase the volume is awesome. I dimed it a bit and I get full on Zeppelin. Scorching leads, too. I mainly just messed around with the amp itself with my Les Paul and my dad tried it with my Strat. Sounded good with both. I used my pedals on it just a bit, but it seems it will take them quite well. I am taking it and my Fender to band practice tomorrow, we will see what happens. If it doesn't work, I won't be upset, I'm fine with using it for home/recording/casual jams.

Very happy with today's purchase. Hope this and the new speaker I ordered for the Fender end my amp GAS for a while.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3