Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Gear Thread

• Please log in to reply
516 replies to this topic

OmarBradley

OmarBradley

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • 30-August 13

I don't really have the capability to do proper recordings with my set up, just have a Tascam DR-05 for recording stuff since the stack is at the rehearsal space; can't bring it in my apartment unfortunately. I actually flipped the 800 though.... got something else, with a bit more gain.  :P

I could post a song or two from my band, but those recordings were all straight into the interface w/ guitar tone sorted in the DAW.

Axl - Hammerstein Ballroom 5/17/06, Continental Airlines Arena 11/08/06, Susquehanna Bank Center 11/26/11   VR - Starland Ballroom 5/18/07, PNC Bank Arts Center 8/17/07
Slash - Borgata 5/22/10 and 9/17/10,  Terminal 5 9/14/10, Rams Head 5/3/12, Irving Plaza 5/22/12, Wellmont Theatre 8/3/12, House of Blues 9/14/12, Sands Bethlehem Event Center 7/16/13, Jones Beach Theater 7/10/14 

Klay

Klay

Full

• Returned
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • 12-December 08

Let us hear your band!

You should invest in an usb audio interface where you can connect your guitar directly to use with software like Amplitube or a mic to do your real amp recordings - they're pretty cheap and you can get real good results!

To bad you let the 800 go; the JCM/JMP 2204/2204 and a Plexi 1987/1959 are such stapples in rock history and sound, one day I'll add them to my collection...

OmarBradley

OmarBradley

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • 30-August 13

Let us hear your band!

You should invest in an usb audio interface where you can connect your guitar directly to use with software like Amplitube or a mic to do your real amp recordings - they're pretty cheap and you can get real good results!

To bad you let the 800 go; the JCM/JMP 2204/2204 and a Plexi 1987/1959 are such stapples in rock history and sound, one day I'll add them to my collection...

I actually did have a Peavey USB interface for a few weeks, it was terrible, pretty cheap so I didn't know what to expect. The Line 6 U (or X, or something) interface I've used was pretty good for ~$100, I did not like Amplitube all that much, though it may have been my crappy interface.

Eh if you know where to look, 800's (vertical inputs) can be picked up pretty easily for decent prices, what I have now is much rarer  :ph34r:. I did own a vintage 1959, a few amps before the 800, I have to say I think I liked the 1959 better.

Axl - Hammerstein Ballroom 5/17/06, Continental Airlines Arena 11/08/06, Susquehanna Bank Center 11/26/11   VR - Starland Ballroom 5/18/07, PNC Bank Arts Center 8/17/07
Slash - Borgata 5/22/10 and 9/17/10,  Terminal 5 9/14/10, Rams Head 5/3/12, Irving Plaza 5/22/12, Wellmont Theatre 8/3/12, House of Blues 9/14/12, Sands Bethlehem Event Center 7/16/13, Jones Beach Theater 7/10/14 

Klay

Klay

Full

• Returned
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • 12-December 08

The 800 are very expensive new (reissue) here in Europe and old/original with vertical inputs are rare and expensive as well, you only find them at Ebay rsiking buying from other countries.

What amps do you own currently?

Amplitube is ok to record quickly some demos; sometimes I spend several weeks just trying to get a good recorded sound out of my amps, with Amplitube it's instant and the sound is ok (my demo Deception was all done with it) but it does lacks some frequencies.

OmarBradley

OmarBradley

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • 30-August 13

The 800 are very expensive new (reissue) here in Europe and old/original with vertical inputs are rare and expensive as well, you only find them at Ebay rsiking buying from other countries.

What amps do you own currently?

Amplitube is ok to record quickly some demos; sometimes I spend several weeks just trying to get a good recorded sound out of my amps, with Amplitube it's instant and the sound is ok (my demo Deception was all done with it) but it does lacks some frequencies.

Interesting, if you know where to look here, you can find an '81-'83 800 in good condition for $1000 - $1200, I've even seen one go for $950! The reissues sell for $2100+ new... what a joke. Same with 1987/1959 reissues, they're about the same price as the 800RI. Don't know why anyone buys them when you can easily find good condition 70's Super Leads in the $1500 region.

I'm down to one amp now... well two if you count my MicroCube. Had my eye set on something rare for the past few months, one popped up on Rig-Talk that was sort of local(ish), so I basically flipped everything I had (the 800, SL5, a few speakers I had laying around, etc.) and nabbed a Cameron Old Bitch half stack. Long story short: Mark Cameron is an amp modder/builder who started his own line (like Friedman, Fortin, Egnater, etc.), but could never really get things together in terms of business management. Cameron Amplification was really only in business from 2007 until 2011, after many business partners tried to work it out with Mark. I don't know all of the exact details, but even the general gist is long, convoluted story that I won't bore you with. As far as the amp's go, there are ~50 CCV's, ~25 Old Bitch's, and ~25 Atomica's out there. They were never able to maintain long production runs. The reason I use the "~" is because there are a few pre-production models of each amp out there. Basically Mark fucked over a lot of people: never sent amps to those who had given deposits, never returned amps he was supposed to be modding, etc.. I've never dealt with him, got mine from the original buyer.

It's a shame, because he has real talent with amps, and he's a monster player, this is him playing a CCV:

The Old Bitch is basically the Aldrich/Norum Marshall mod's with Mark's tweaks. I have a few clips, but I have to go through them to see which came out best and edit them down, as they're mostly 20 minutes or longer. 

• Klay likes this

Klay

Klay

Full

• Returned
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • 12-December 08

Sounds great and very valuable/colectable!

I know about Cameron amps, Metro, Fortin, Friedman,... all these moders and builders (who base most of their models on plexi's and 800's anyway); I also check the amp fest videos regularly, it's nice to hear how all these amps sound compared!

I'm a Marshall guy, that classic Marshall tone is everything to me and I'm not very picky, any DSL/TSL/800/Plexi/VM will do it for me!

The dude plays Thin Lizzy's Cold Sweat on the video you posted, a great tune with a great solo by John Sykes!

Doug Aldrich loves the Vintage Modern too:

Doug could make even a toaster sound great.

• OmarBradley likes this

AxlisOld

AxlisOld

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,469 posts
  • 08-May 05
Lost my Vox Tonelab (person it belongs to asked for it back) so I made a new setting on my Digitech RP300. Rectifier setting. Not bad.

duffman.gifstormtrooper.gif
WARNING: Consumption of alcoholic beverages will MAKE YOU AWESOME

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users