The Gear Thread

Should

Nice, dude! Amazing technique. I was wanting to record Civil War downtuned to Bb and show it to you, guys. But I ain't got any money for a good camera, I'm saving everything I have for that project. Not to mention that I don't have a clue on how to use youtube. Also, I wanted to learn a little more about that plug-your-guitar-directly-into-the-pc-for-better-video-quality stuff. Anybody?

i haven't read through all 9 pages of this yet so you may have found an answer already......

guitar rig by native instruments is amazing. no joke. i got a copy of Guitar Rig 4 off craigslist for 50 bucks to try out. if you are home recording don't even mess with mics and soundcards for guitar. i've been down that road. years of micing, different cards, techniques.....50 bucks solved my problem. The new version software is a couple hundred but not much more as to sounds.

We make songs you could probably put right on the radio from my basement on a plain jane dell computer, a drum machine, a couple mics, an emu 0404 soundcard and guitar rig. Just plug acoustic right into mixer straight into pc. i mic clean guitars for atmosphere and all distorted guitars are guitar rig. Bass is right into mixer soundcard and can be put through guitar rig as well.

If you have Cubase or Pro Tools those usually come with some good plugins like delay and reverb, etc. Digital plugins blow anaolog audio away if you are trying to record with a mic. Just learn how to mix--its an art.

In fact, I got Cubase LE4 with my Digitech RP300 floor processor. It is full version with plugins and a few virtual instruments. Used a synth vst on one song (I don't play keys).

I have an LTD ec 300 and a Dean electric acoustic. A Crate power block for amplification through a Crate 4x12 cabinet. All tone from guitar and fingers and RP300. The only thing I bought new was the 300. Should call the band the Craigslist band.

Should

Nice, dude! Amazing technique. I was wanting to record Civil War downtuned to Bb and show it to you, guys. But I ain't got any money for a good camera, I'm saving everything I have for that project. Not to mention that I don't have a clue on how to use youtube. Also, I wanted to learn a little more about that plug-your-guitar-directly-into-the-pc-for-better-video-quality stuff. Anybody?

i haven't read through all 9 pages of this yet so you may have found an answer already......

guitar rig by native instruments is amazing. no joke. i got a copy of Guitar Rig 4 off craigslist for 50 bucks to try out. if you are home recording don't even mess with mics and soundcards for guitar. i've been down that road. years of micing, different cards, techniques.....50 bucks solved my problem. The new version software is a couple hundred but not much more as to sounds.

We make songs you could probably put right on the radio from my basement on a plain jane dell computer, a drum machine, a couple mics, an emu 0404 soundcard and guitar rig. Just plug acoustic right into mixer straight into pc. i mic clean guitars for atmosphere and all distorted guitars are guitar rig. Bass is right into mixer soundcard and can be put through guitar rig as well.

If you have Cubase or Pro Tools those usually come with some good plugins like delay and reverb, etc. Digital plugins blow anaolog audio away if you are trying to record with a mic. Just learn how to mix--its an art.

In fact, I got Cubase LE4 with my Digitech RP300 floor processor. It is full version with plugins and a few virtual instruments. Used a synth vst on one song (I don't play keys).

I have an LTD ec 300 and a Dean electric acoustic. A Crate power block for amplification through a Crate 4x12 cabinet. All tone from guitar and fingers and RP300. The only thing I bought new was the 300. Should call the band the Craigslist band.

They only work with pulgins or I can use any of my pedals with it?

THX for the info, BTW.

Edited by Chewbacca

Should

They only work with pulgins or I can use any of my pedals with it?

THX for the info, BTW.

You can buy a floor pedal/soundcard to go with it for pedals and switches for live playing on laptop. It has an expression pedal and several vacuum switches. It also functions as a USB soundcard.

However, for home use you don't really need any pedals or footswitches if you are using for recording. You just plug your guitar straight into soundcard and the software does all the work. You could probably put a wah in front of it. I haven't tried yet. It has tons of different amps and cabinents and different ways to "mic" them. Bunch of effects too. I'm sure you can find whatever you use in stompboxes in the software. Its easy to use. All you have to do is record your part once--you can change how it sounds anytime you want to without rerecording. For example, you can record it the first time using a Marshall model and if you don't like it, just change it afterwards to a Mesa Boogie or whatever you want without even picking up the guitar.

I use a combination of the Rig and Cubase plugins. Sounds better than anything recorded with a microphone at home--especially effects. I actually don't even play my cabinet at home anymore--just through PC and stereo.

Motley Crue's last record Mic Mars used simulation software.

Alright...

I gotta ask you something you guitar nuts.

This is my main guitar :

I have the opportunity to trade it for this model :

10115a.jpg

10115b.jpg

Yay or nay ?

The specs are obviously a bit superior on the bigsby one ( it has a bigsby and a coil split ) but, I don't know.

I find it very cool and I love TV Jones on Teles but...still unsure. Would you do it ?

Yours looks cooler.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive never played a Trussart, but I would love to get my hands on one for the weekend.

I play a Gibson Les Paul Custom into a Marshall.. Pretty basic

I hate pedals and use them infrequently at best. I have a Volume Pedal, Boss Blues Driver and Ibanez Lo Fi

I use the Lo Fi for a vocal effect more than anything

Question what are the best picks

Tortex, there are no others in my eyes. I use 1.14mm

Definitely agree on the Tortex picks. I generally use the .73mm but the .88mm has found its way into my hands many times. Not only do the picks feel great but they last quite a long time before they really start to wear.

Gibson Les Paul 2008 Standard (Seymour Duncans)

Marshall JCM 800 Head

Marshall 1960 AV Cab (Vintage 30's in it)

Peavy Bandit 100W combro

Pedals:

Dunlop CryBaby Wah

Boss Tuner pedal

Boss DD3

Boss A/B Footswitch

Effects Board: Korg AX3000G

Picture of my Babies!

167866_498060635944_5774140_a.jpg

Edited by SMG

• 2 weeks later...

Two demos of some of the gear I use in the studio currently :

East West Quantum Leap SILK + Heavyocity Damage + Omnisphere + East West Symphonic Choirs + L.A Scoring Strings :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9bl2mnk6M&feature=g-upl

POD HD 500 + DBZ Bolero Calavera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZN_95o5PLw

Not bragging, but the POD HD 500 sounds pretty good if you know how to create a proper patch :)

Of course it doesn't beat a real amp but for the price it's pretty good and since I'm only doing studio work with next to no guitar tracks it does the job ( though an Axe FX would be better ).

Enjoy !

• 3 weeks later...

$T2eC16hHJG!E9nm3sBltBQE+GGzQG!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16VHJG!E9nm3p3vTBQE+CQ7fQQ~~60_57.JPG

Jackson Professional Dinky XL. Pre-Fender, bitches.

I need to stay off ebay, but it was a fucking amazing price and I caught the auction when it was just listed. And he said if it didn't sell he would trade it in at a guitar shop, and I know what they'd offer him. What was I to do?

Goddammit.

Edited by AxlisOld

• 5 weeks later...

Just bought that guitar :

276283duesenbergstarplayertv741702.jpg

5778154fc4ed08774c35c5baf40ff51.jpg

99280338374fj20.jpg

Should have it by tuesday !

That being said, I'm selling all my other guitars save for the Trussart.

Want to keep things simple, a telecaster and a Les Paul shaped guitar, both with that unique twist.

Will post some videos once I have it, some time next week.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

Got the guitar yesterday.

At first I was...kinda disappointed I have to admit...

I expected an imperfect rock n' roll beast with tons of mojo, kinda like the Trussart, but it's more on the Vigier side to be honest : it's perfect in every way but, I think, lacks in personality.

You know those guitars which are SO playable, with the perfect neck, incredible attention to details but which have a very small sonic signature on the sound coming from the amp, like they almost don't modify it at all ?

It's one of these guitars. It's good at everything but doesn't excel in one genre in particular, unlike the Trussart which sucks at metal for instance but is a disgustingly good blues skank :D ?

That being said, it's an amazing live and studio tool. Live because it's super playable and, obviously, because it has the looks and studio because it's very versatile.

Keepin' it and slowly warming up for her !

Edited by The Glow Inc.

Absolutely beautiful guitar Glow, congrats on the purchase.

Just bought me an Orville By Gibson '59 Reissue in Cherry sunburst, can'tfnking wait for it to get here!

Just sold my Marshall 2555 Slash head, looking to get a little somthing smaller. Maybe an HT5 or HT1, any ideas guys? Something marshally sounding but under $500

Edited by pugachev

I was going to say "get a Blackstar amp" but then I realized that's what you were already refering to...

Only tested the HT5 and it was great but still way too LOUD for a small appartment but I suppose that if you have sold a Slash head, you don't have really any volume problem so you can go for it, Blackstar amps sound great !

I was actually thinking of going the modeling route with something like Overloud TH2. Doesn't seem very popular but a few guys on YouTube get some seriously convincing tones with it. I don't have much experience with that stuff outside of POD xt which I didn't like too much but TH2 sounds great from what I've heard.