Guns N' Roses mention on Colin Cowherd

uzi your illusion

Espn has a radio and television simulcast of "The Herd" with Colin Cowherd weekdays from 10:00 - 1:00 est. Every year around final four time where everyone fills out there 64 team brackets he does a bracket as well for something other then college basketball. Two years ago it was "greatest superhero" , last year "greatest cereal" , this year he's doing "greatest rock band" . It's got to be a band so solo artists don't count, he had fans write in last week and tell him who should be ranked as the number 1 seeds as the tournement is split into 4 divisions. He announced today that the leading write ins were pretty obvious choices of the Beatles, Led Zepplin , The Rolling Stones. But he said suprisingly at the end of last week a huge amount of people wrote in for GNR and there in the running to be at the top. Not bad company to be in, if you go to espn.com and find his show you can write in that GNR deserve the spot. Might be cool to see them get the credit we know they deserve.

I didn't want the thread to turn into this, but it did so here it goes. The general consensus is that Axl destroyed the band, that pretty much is a fact in the public's eye. That is not so easily disputable, however I believe that he's taken 100 percent of the blame over the years and that is bullshit. The casual fan just hears the one side of the story that Axl is a perfectionist or he wanted to drastically change the sound or he wanted to have complete control over everything. Axl's silence on the issue is the biggest thing that spreads the myths and anytime he even gives a slight answer on the subject every media outlet chooses to believe the other side without hearing him out. I think this has a lot to do with the contract that GnR had the media sign before approval to interviews during the UYI era. A bunch of those press outlets seem to still have a grudge and choose to forget that the contract was approved by all members of the band and not just Axl. For whatever reason that Axl didn't feel the need to give his side for so long it is what it is, but in that time the people associated with the break up had complete control over the story. No one ever chooses to wonder how difficult it would be to work with people in the lowest darkest part of their addictions, and trying to reason with someone who's going through that. The causal fan thinks Axl was just as fucked up as the rest of the band, and that is a very common misconception. The blame lays somewhere in the middle but it seems like everyone believes its always fully on one side or the other. "If they knew half the real truth, what would they say "

I didn't want the thread to turn into this, but it did so here it goes. The general consensus is that Axl destroyed the band, that pretty much is a fact in the public's eye. That is not so easily disputable, however I believe that he's taken 100 percent of the blame over the years and that is bullshit. The casual fan just hears the one side of the story that Axl is a perfectionist or he wanted to drastically change the sound or he wanted to have complete control over everything. Axl's silence on the issue is the biggest thing that spreads the myths and anytime he even gives a slight answer on the subject every media outlet chooses to believe the other side without hearing him out. I think this has a lot to do with the contract that GnR had the media sign before approval to interviews during the UYI era. A bunch of those press outlets seem to still have a grudge and choose to forget that the contract was approved by all members of the band and not just Axl. For whatever reason that Axl didn't feel the need to give his side for so long it is what it is, but in that time the people associated with the break up had complete control over the story. No one ever chooses to wonder how difficult it would be to work with people in the lowest darkest part of their addictions, and trying to reason with someone who's going through that. The causal fan thinks Axl was just as fucked up as the rest of the band, and that is a very common misconception. The blame lays somewhere in the middle but it seems like everyone believes its always fully on one side or the other. "If they knew half the real truth, what would they say "

Pretty much spot on! I have also heard that the restrictions GNR puts on the press are still pretty harsh nowadays. And what the press writes about GNR shows in turn is incredible bullshit, and we know why they do it.

I didn't know that the press sanctions were still in effect, i figured he just didn't grant interviews period lol. He doesn't like to give them out cause there is usually a negative slant, even if not in the line of questioning the editor would probably put a stupid comment before or after the article just to be cute. I get why the media wouldn't like the contract but to my understanding it was just to stop people from printing interviews that were complete works of fiction. Anyways not exactly sure how we ended up here but here is the link to send your comments about the original post http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/news/story?page=herdmail

Wow didn't expect this to get bumped back up. I wouldn't go as far as to guess who was responsible for what percentage of the breakup seeing that we weren't there. I think the fact that towards the end of the band Duff sided with Axl speaks volumes for how out of sorts Slash was at the time. So for the majority of fans who look at GNR as the big 3 of Slash , Duff, and Axl, you actually had the majority siding with Axl. l think what I wrote earlier as for how tough it would be to deal with someone in the depths of severe addiction and how understated that part of the story gets is really important to the whole situation. From some accounts Axl is very hard to deal with and thats on him, but to combine that with a straight up addict whos thinking would clearly be warped and probably paranoid ( I'm a recovering addict so i'm not speaking out of turn), were lucky it lasted as long as it did. Axl did take some blame for everything though saying " the reality of my fault would be in not finding a way to manage Slash complete with his addictions" . So we have a Slash book, Duff is writing one, Axl has at least a rough draft, Adler has one , sort through all that and MAYBE we could find where to put the blame. By the way i should probably change the title of this thread , as this conversation has gotten much more play.

Edited by uzi your illusion

He mentions GNR pretty regularly and sometimes Jungle is a lead-in when coming back from a commercial break.

He's of the thought Axl is a egomaniac and destroyed the band.

You sure you're talking about Cowherd? You may be right - I don't hear his show enough to know for sure. But it sounds like you might be talking about Rome.

• 2 weeks later...

Cowherd revealed the names and match ups on yesterdays show, Guns N' Roses is taking on Living Colour, a rather easy first round. Since GNR got a #3 seed this is how it works, other 3 seeds in the tournament were AC/DC, The Who, and The Doors. Not bad company to be in. Guns are leading like 90% - 10 % right now, their second round match will be between the winner of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Black Sabbath.

Wow didn't expect this to get bumped back up. I wouldn't go as far as to guess who was responsible for what percentage of the breakup seeing that we weren't there. I think the fact that towards the end of the band Duff sided with Axl speaks volumes for how out of sorts Slash was at the time. So for the majority of fans who look at GNR as the big 3 of Slash , Duff, and Axl, you actually had the majority siding with Axl. l think what I wrote earlier as for how tough it would be to deal with someone in the depths of severe addiction and how understated that part of the story gets is really important to the whole situation. From some accounts Axl is very hard to deal with and thats on him, but to combine that with a straight up addict whos thinking would clearly be warped and probably paranoid ( I'm a recovering addict so i'm not speaking out of turn), were lucky it lasted as long as it did. Axl did take some blame for everything though saying " the reality of my fault would be in not finding a way to manage Slash complete with his addictions" . So we have a Slash book, Duff is writing one, Axl has at least a rough draft, Adler has one , sort through all that and MAYBE we could find where to put the blame. By the way i should probably change the title of this thread , as this conversation has gotten much more play.

i hope you get through your addictions i lived with a drug addicted father and his view of "events" are completely different from facts after he got off all the drugs and got sober he couldnt believe the things he had done, to me the amounts of drugs and alcohol that slash was doing at the time his view of what happend shouldnt be taken as the golden truth, i think the band lasting as long as it did is a miracle in itself, i think axl of course wishes he did things differently and does blame himself for some of it, it just sucks really

Guns N' Roses up 92% to 8% = largest differential in the entire tournament right now

Current Upsets:

10) Skynyrd 74% over 7) Jackson 5 26%

10) Grateful Dead 56% over 7) NIN 44%

Close ones:

7) KISS 54% over 10) STP 46%

6) Bob Marley & The Wailers 52% over 11) Beastie Boys 48%

5) Bon Jovi 55% over 12) Dave Matthews Band 45%

Edited by ChapelRoses

Guns N' Roses up 92% to 8% = largest differential in the entire tournament right now

Current Upsets:

Close ones:

thats great, but you realize the gnr that has 92% is not this gnr

He's of the thought Axl is a egomaniac and destroyed the band.

ALOT of people would agree with him.

Oh shut up already...you sound like a broken fuckin' record. Only a few dorks online believe that. (hint hint)

How did Axl "destroy' the band? They just rocked the fuck out of the world with a successful tour.

Keep hating cupcake and next thing you know you will be on your death bed realizing you wasted your life.

These words could come back at you the next time you cupcake the VR or Slash threads.

Current Upsets:

Close ones:

thats great, but you realize the gnr that has 92% is not this gnr

Sure did, but thanks for assuming I'm stupid! :thumbsdown: