Chinese Democracy - $1.99

SONOFABITCH

it's a marketing technique. they flip products through this phase to give them impression Best Buy is cheap, ultimately you get lured into the place by flashing 1.99 signs but end coming out with a flat screen and 3 albums a full price. everywhere you go there's stuff on offer, right? Why is that? Is it because they want to help you out?

Yeah, go check your local Best Buy and see if they even HAVE CD anymore. They junked every copy of CD on Sunday. Packed em up and sent em back to the record company. There's no marketing technique to "this thing ain't selling. Get it the fuck out of here and sell it at a loss at $1.99 as a permanent price".

They weren't just loaning the CDs from the record company, they can't just return them if they don't sell! That's not how business works, they bought (x) amount thinking they would sell (x) amount... if they didn't sell (x) amount, then that's their problem, not the record companies. The record company isn't just going to turnaround and say "Oh, you weren't able to shift them? You made a loss? No problem guys, we'll take that loss for you, just return the cd's and we'll give you your money back", that's ridiculous! The record companies are the LAST motherfuckers in the loop, who are going to put themselves in a position to make a loss (regardless of what some tight piece of ass at Bestbuy told you :wub: ) (she was probably a $lashole!!!)

Like someone else said, they do this all the time... there's no drama here Johnny.

Accuracy is welcome, the labels are sinking,and out for blood,

no matter who's blood :thumbsup:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's a marketing technique. they flip products through this phase to give them impression Best Buy is cheap, ultimately you get lured into the place by flashing 1.99 signs but end coming out with a flat screen and 3 albums a full price. everywhere you go there's stuff on offer, right? Why is that? Is it because they want to help you out?

Yeah, go check your local Best Buy and see if they even HAVE CD anymore. They junked every copy of CD on Sunday. Packed em up and sent em back to the record company. There's no marketing technique to "this thing ain't selling. Get it the fuck out of here and sell it at a loss at $1.99 as a permanent price".

They weren't just loaning the CDs from the record company, they can't just return them if they don't sell! That's not how business works, they bought (x) amount thinking they would sell (x) amount... if they didn't sell (x) amount, then that's their problem, not the record companies. The record company isn't just going to turnaround and say "Oh, you weren't able to shift them? You made a loss? No problem guys, we'll take that loss for you, just return the cd's and we'll give you your money back", that's ridiculous! The record companies are the LAST motherfuckers in the loop, who are going to put themselves in a position to make a loss (regardless of what some tight piece of ass at Bestbuy told you :wub: ) (she was probably a $lashole!!!)

Like someone else said, they do this all the time... there's no drama here Johnny.

What are you basing this on? Here's some facts for you:

Return privilege - Recordings in the form of CDs or cassettes have a 100% return privilege. This means that record stores don't have to worry about being stuck with records they can't sell. Most other businesses don't work this way, but the music industry has to be more flexible and timed to demand. What's hot today may be forgotten tomorrow... This leads us to reserves. The recording company may hold back a portion of the artist's royalties for reserves that are returned from record stores. (Usually about 35% is held back.)

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties6.htm

In the "old" days, the costs and risks involved for a label to release music were much higher. Labels needed to manufacturer physical inventory and hope it sold, if not, they had to eat the costs of the unsold CDs.

http://blog.tunecore.com/2010/11/the-state-of-the-music-industry-and-the-delegitimization-of-artists-pt-4-the-growth-phase-is-over-im.html

Tesco, which spends £3m a year shipping unsold CDs back to music companies, would also take on the task of destroying unwanted stock, Mr Salter said.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/616759dc-4831-11e0-b323-00144feab49a.html#axzz1HbE4vU8Y

Other links regarding unsold cd's:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00013531.html

Anyway, next time have actual knowledge of what you're talking about rather than shooting your mouth off and looking like an asshole.

* cd didn't sell because it wasn't good.

* it was promoted. every music/entertainment magazine and most newspapers reviewed it. received a commercial during a football game (prime advertising time). people knew it was out.

* not the record company fault for anything. 2nd or 3rd most costly album ever and people want to blame the record company? they gave axl free reign. any producer he wanted, equipment he wanted, studio's etc; and now this is somehow their fault?

* I still think $1.99 is to much.

Edited by SunnyDRE

* it was promoted. every music/entertainment magazine and most newspapers reviewed it. received a commercial during a football game (prime advertising time). people knew it was out.

* not the record company fault for anything. 2nd or 3rd most costly album ever and people want to blame the record company? they gave axl free reign. any producer he wanted, equipment he wanted, studio's etc; and now this is somehow their fault?

* I still think $1.99 is to much.

^^^

DAT RITE DER

I remember seeing the TV adds several times a night months before leading up to the release.

What promotion do you guys think they should have done?

I think it didnt seem to be promoted as well to some bc AXL ROSE DID NOTHING.

The Blame Game seems to be a big theme around these parts.

Edited by The Wicked Hand

Plenty of awful movies and CDs sell that aren't even in the vacinity of good. These days your product doesn't have to be good, you just have to sell it right ie black eyed peas

Plenty of awful movies and CDs sell that aren't even in the vacinity of good. These days your product doesn't have to be good, you just have to sell it right ie black eyed peas

people always say stuff like that. or talk about how all music is shit, and the us likes crappy music, no talent artist are the rage .etc; But see I don't get it that arguement, cause if bands and artists with no talent can sell millions of records, sellout stadiums.......shouldn't axl with his ALL TIME TALENTED LINE UP and supposedly GREAT RECORD, be able to sell a GAZILLION records?

just sayin..

Edited by SunnyDRE

DJ ASHBA, BUMBLEFOOT, and RICHARD FORTUS headlining Rock in Rio...200 000 people...

SUPPLY AND DEMAND

trollface-coolface-tattoo.jpg

yeah, i guess they'll play cool covers of slash's music

hey, i've heard that you frenchmen eat snails for breakfast... i've a lot of snails in my garden and can't get rid of them... i was thinking about hiring a frenchman to eat them

DJ ASHBA, BUMBLEFOOT, and RICHARD FORTUS headlining Rock in Rio...200 000 people...

SUPPLY AND DEMAND

hey, i've heard that you frenchmen eat snails for breakfast... i've a lot of snails in my garden and can't get rid of them... i was thinking about hiring a frenchman to eat them

reported!

:lol: :lol:

why ?? for saying that your little heroes are only covering slash's (and buckethead's) music ?

or for saying that frenchmen eat snails for breakfast ??

SUPPLY AND DEMAND

reported!

:lol: :lol:

why ?? for saying that your little heroes are only covering slash's (and buckethead's) music ?

or for saying that frenchmen eat snails for breakfast ??

He has reported me also. But he felt the need to pm me about. I guess I'm just special :rolleyes: Anyway I just shaken in my boots here. Someone should report him for being totally useless.

people always say stuff like that. or talk about how all music is shit, and the us likes crappy music, no talent artist are the rage .etc; But see I don't get it that arguement, cause if bands and artists with no talent can sell millions of records, sellout stadiums.......shouldn't axl with his ALL TIME TALENTED LINE UP and supposedly GREAT RECORD, be able to sell a GAZILLION records?

just sayin..

Always dependable for a bash CD and CD supporters post.

99 percent of current GnR fans do NOT say that this is the most talented line up of all time. So your hyperbole is silly. You are using faulty arguements to try and make your point. Slash QUIT Guns n Roses. So to continually whine and moan about him not being in the band is pretty ridiculous. We follow the current GnR because we love Axl Rose's voice. Regardless of who is in the band. And since most of us are older than 14, we aren't obsessed with the name of the band or with the fact that former members aren't in it anymore. Does it suck? Yes. But no amount of whining and crying is going to change that. Most people move on, a very small few cannot.

Axl, with a completely new line-up, sold almost 4 million CDS and has had two successful tours off of it.............nobody said he needed to sell a gazillion records. Let me ask you this. If Slash and his solo albums (full of superstar singers) or if VR gets a new singer.......will they be happy or dissapointed with 4 million CD sales?

And your other point is ridiculous. Amount of CDS sold has NEVER been a constant standard for talent level. If you really feel this way and aren't just doing your typical Axl bashing, you have to apply your logic to EVERY album that has ever been released.

So if you release an album that sells over 5 million copies.........that means you are extremely talented.

Converesly, if you album didn't sell 5 million copies then it means you have no talent.

Do you really want to debate that?

Seriously. If you apply that logic to Axl, you have to apply it to everybody else. And even as jaded as you are, you know that there are some incredible albums out there that didnt sell 10 million copies. And you know there are some albums that sold millions that are just mindless fluff that just hit a certain niche at the perfect time. And five years from now, you'll never hear from that artist again.

Hmmm. I need a new Spaghetti CD. Actually it was the first CD I actually owned.

Well, Axl, label got paid. BB can send them back but they already paid 14 mil for them? CD isn't the only cd that will be dropped to 1.99 then bumped back up to regular price.

It's the PERMANENT PRICE. Go see if you can walk into a Best Buy and pick up a copy of CD.

What are you basing this on? Here's some facts for you:

Return privilege - Recordings in the form of CDs or cassettes have a 100% return privilege. This means that record stores don't have to worry about being stuck with records they can't sell. Most other businesses don't work this way, but the music industry has to be more flexible and timed to demand. What's hot today may be forgotten tomorrow... This leads us to reserves. The recording company may hold back a portion of the artist's royalties for reserves that are returned from record stores. (Usually about 35% is held back.)

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties6.htm

In the "old" days, the costs and risks involved for a label to release music were much higher. Labels needed to manufacturer physical inventory and hope it sold, if not, they had to eat the costs of the unsold CDs.

http://blog.tunecore.com/2010/11/the-state-of-the-music-industry-and-the-delegitimization-of-artists-pt-4-the-growth-phase-is-over-im.html

Tesco, which spends £3m a year shipping unsold CDs back to music companies, would also take on the task of destroying unwanted stock, Mr Salter said.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/616759dc-4831-11e0-b323-00144feab49a.html#axzz1HbE4vU8Y

Other links regarding unsold cd's:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00013531.html

Anyway, next time have actual knowledge of what you're talking about rather than shooting your mouth off and looking like an asshole.

All your hard work getting those links and quotes today was a waste of time.

The BestBuy Deal was different, it was an exclusive deal, it involved an up front payment to the record company of $13-14 million, they covered all their costs in one go... you think they're going to 'refund' that? Don't be daft.

traditional supply and demand is difficult here. Giving the exclusive to bestbuy confuses the situation. If they bought too many copies that isn't Axl's fault. Its 1.99 due to the fact that the record company printed too many at best buy's request nothing more. Sorry haters.