Home Theaters

I've been intrigued by bias lighting for behind the display for awhile now and just ordered a $25 kit on eBay to try it out. Interested in trying it both for effect as well as the theory behind it "tricking" your eyes into seeing an even better picture, due to less eye strain, etc.

Depending on how it turns out, I'll post some pictures and let you guys know how it is!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

I've been intrigued by bias lighting for behind the display for awhile now and just ordered a $25 kit on eBay to try it out. Interested in trying it both for effect as well as the theory behind it "tricking" your eyes into seeing an even better picture, due to less eye strain, etc.

Depending on how it turns out, I'll post some pictures and let you guys know how it is!

I've heard wildly varying opinions on this and don't have an opinion myself just let. Report back and let us know what you think.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2017 at 10:15 AM, RussTCB said:

I've heard wildly varying opinions on this and don't have an opinion myself just let. Report back and let us know what you think.

So I'll have to watch some full movies and TV episodes to really test it, but at first glance and quick test, it definitely tricks your eyes into seeing dark blacks. So I'm assuming it definitely tricks your eyes into seeing a darker contrast overall, but the blacks are easier to tell.

20170511_194215.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, it's got like 16 different colors or something? Not home right now so can't check.

If anything, for $25, I'd say it's worth it. Whether you get used to watching stuff with a light or not, or just use it when you've got music streaming or something, it's pretty cool.

20170513_132804.jpg

20170513_132847.jpg

Same here, pitch black when watching movies.

I think it'd be helpful when watching a movie with the family or someone else, though.  My living room lights are too bright and kill the dark environment.  Personally, I tend to watch movies by myself the first time as I don't like to be distracted by anything or anyone.  For the second or third viewing, the lights can help.

BS, share a link whenever you can.  Appreciate it.

Yeah, the first time I watch a movie I'm always by myself and I wouldn't use these lights. Additional viewings I would.

I've only had the chance to try it a couple of times do far but honestly you forget it's even on after a few minutes and by that point your eyes are already adjusted to the TV.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121829759598

• 4 months later...

Why is it that the only TVs in 2017 that seem to still have component inputs seem to be RCA or some other shit brand? Best Buy has been blowing out some plain ol' 1080's as of late but not with the connectivity I require. Unfortunate circumstances have left me with the need to purchase a new TV over the next couple of months but I don't want to spend a fortune either.

On 9/24/2017 at 5:24 PM, James Bond said:

Why is it that the only TVs in 2017 that seem to still have component inputs seem to be RCA or some other shit brand? Best Buy has been blowing out some plain ol' 1080's as of late but not with the connectivity I require. Unfortunate circumstances have left me with the need to purchase a new TV over the next couple of months but I don't want to spend a fortune either.

Might I ask why you need component inputs?

Ever since I got my Plasma (...damn, I guess maybe two years ago or something?), I haven't paid much attention to the TV world, but I'd be happy to try to help.

1 minute ago, Black Sabbath said:

Might I ask why you need component inputs?

Ever since I got my Plasma (...damn, I guess maybe two years ago or something?), I haven't paid much attention to the TV world, but I'd be happy to try to help.

My original Xbox. A requirement to play those games in enhanced definition. Important stuff right there. ;)

I don't want to buy an HDMI converter if I don't have to and an AVR is a last resort. I just like having all my stuff hooked up to one TV. On my current TV I use cable splitters to plug my N64 into the A/V portion of the component jacks.

Seems the cheap TVs (RCA, Sylvania, etc...) still have excellent panels of inputs but I don't want to go THAT cheap. There's still some LG's kicking about that have component as well as HDMI but I figured one of you guys might have some good suggestions.

I don't care about 4K so I'd love to buy an open box 1080 LED blowout at Best Buy but the panels on the Sharps, Toshiba, etc... pretty much only have HDMI.

Trade in the system for a new one :P

But in all seriousness, if you absolutely need component, and don't want to upgrade or go another route, then LG is a fine brand. As far as I'm concerned, they're next in line behind Sony and Samsung (and that's not a bad thing). The other "cheap" TVs/brands aren't... bad, but, if you're going to get a new TV and be somewhat serious about it, that's not the route to go.

What's your budget?

3 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Trade in the system for a new one :P

But in all seriousness, if you absolutely need component, and don't want to upgrade or go another route, then LG is a fine brand. As far as I'm concerned, they're next in line behind Sony and Samsung (and that's not a bad thing). The other "cheap" TVs/brands aren't... bad, but, if you're going to get a new TV and be somewhat serious about it, that's not the route to go.

What's your budget?

Less than $100. The LG is 55 inches and $797 currently (Canadian dollars of course).

Edit: Less than $1000. :lol:

Edited by James Bond

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

Less than $100. The LG is 55 inches and $797 currently (Canadian dollars of course).

Edit: Less than $1000. :lol:

I was gonna say... "Well, good luck." :lol:

Got a link for it? Honestly, outside of price, if it has the component inputs you're looking for, it's obviously 1080p, the only other thing I would look for is the refresh rate. 240hz is preferred (in my opinion, though hard to come by nowadays), but I wouldn't settle for anything less than 120hz. If it's 60hz, I'd pass and look for something else.

If it matches those "specs", then I'd say you'd be good to go with it unless you just wanted a different brand (but would likely pay for more) or wanted to hold out on a better price.

That said, while I'm not interested in upgrading to a 4K TV right now either, it might not hurt to check out some fairly priced 4K TVs (if they have the components you're looking for, of course), just to future proof yourself since you need a new TV anyway. One of those "Might as well pay a little extra and do it now" things. But, if you're definitely against that then it sounds like the LG may be your best bet, so long as the refresh rate is up to par.

16 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

I was gonna say... "Well, good luck." :lol:

Got a link for it? Honestly, outside of price, if it has the component inputs you're looking for, it's obviously 1080p, the only other thing I would look for is the refresh rate. 240hz is preferred (in my opinion, though hard to come by nowadays), but I wouldn't settle for anything less than 120hz. If it's 60hz, I'd pass and look for something else.

If it matches those "specs", then I'd say you'd be good to go with it unless you just wanted a different brand (but would likely pay for more) or wanted to hold out on a better price.

That said, while I'm not interested in upgrading to a 4K TV right now either, it might not hurt to check out some fairly priced 4K TVs (if they have the components you're looking for, of course), just to future proof yourself since you need a new TV anyway. One of those "Might as well pay a little extra and do it now" things. But, if you're definitely against that then it sounds like the LG may be your best bet, so long as the refresh rate is up to par.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01N4TN54L/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1506528890&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=lg+55+inch+tv&dpPl=1&dpID=51SuJx2E2RL&ref=plSrch

I had a feeling you'd steer me in the right direction. ;)

1 hour ago, Black Sabbath said:

Go ahead and post a link to anything else you've looked at. I'm gonna take a look online a little later and see what I can check out for you.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/sanyo-fw55c87f-55-4k-smart-tv/6000196788644

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01LY130VO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506550294&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=vizio+55&dpPl=1&dpID=51Y9UmTcYdL&ref=plSrch

Those two on the cheaper end of things (not counting RCA and Sylvania).

And pushing my $1000 budget after taxes:

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/philips-philips-55-4k-uhd-hdr-led-smart-tv-55pfl5922-f7-black-55pfl5922-f7/10589700