Home Theaters

Let's be honest though, it would be awesome and probably bigger than most of your friends'.

Just get it, you know you want to. :lol:

That's true, it would make my roommate's pussy-ass 40 incher look like a travel TV. Are the cheapest 50 inchers generally crap or will they do the trick? And what would you choose between a 42 incher and a 50 incher with the same price?

Are you confident in the size of your penis? If yes, just get the smaller, more reasonably sized and priced one. If not, then definitely put your money into the biggest fucking TV possible and embarrass your shitty friends.

That's true, it would make my roommate's pussy-ass 40 incher look like a travel TV. Are the cheapest 50 inchers generally crap or will they do the trick? And what would you choose between a 42 incher and a 50 incher with the same price?

That's a tough little question to answer without actually seeing the TVs. I mean, as long as it's a quality brand and not a no-name company, I would trust a "cheap" 50 incher.

Aight, cool. I better do some more research so that the people in the TV store don't try to fuck me over.

There most definitely is an ideal size. Like you said, your room isn't that big. It all depends on how close you have to sit to the screen. The closer you sit, the smaller the TV should be. There is probably some sort of formula posted online to calculate the right size for your situation. If you buy a TV that is too big then perceived picture quality will suffer.

Regarding the number of inches and distance to the TV - I've done some research and I read about this rule of thumb that says that you should have ten inches per meter away from the TV you are sitting; if it's too big, you're not getting as much of a visual experience as you should be getting. My bed is a little over four meters from where the TV will be standing, so I think I'll be getting something between 40 and 50.

Edited by Lithium

Regarding the number of inches and distance to the TV - I've done some research and I read about this rule of thumb that says that you should have ten inches per meter away from the TV you are sitting; if it's too big, you're not getting as much of a visual experience as you should be getting. My bed is a little over four meters from where the TV will be standing, so I think I'll be getting something between 40 and 50.

Don't think that's quite right. At 8 feet that would be 24 inches. I'd have to be over 16ft away or something for my 50. I'm actually contemplating a 65.

Edited by pugachev

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

The recommendations in this link appear laughable to me. Go the the charts in the middle of the page. The "Recommended Range" columns all have ridiculously large differences between the high and low ranges to be of pretty much no use.

I sit a meter away from my monitor and watch movies on it. It's 23" and is a good size in my application so I'm going to say 2x is likely a good rule of thumb.

I've got a 55" and I'd say I'm about 15 ft away.

I mean, Kbear is right, and I wasn't even thinking about that. But, also take into consideration whenever you move into or get a bigger place. Just something to think about.

63 inch here, sit about 12 feet away. Wanted 65 but they weren't in stock, they don't make plasmas affordable over 65 or I'd have one. I have a 63 Samsung and two Panasonics at 50 and 42. Panasonic and Samsung are the only way to go for plasmas in my eyes. I personally think the Panasonic has a slightly better picture, the colors seem more vibrant, the Samsung has more options to tweak though. Samsung have also been having some trouble with the anti glare coating peeling off lately, don't know if they have fixed it. Both companies put this coating on that makes a large difference from non coated screens in direct light. That being said, LEDs are bright and vibrant and gorgeous. They're thinner and they use less power, but still aren't as fast as plasmas and don't have as deep of blacks. Vizio is kicking ass in the American LED market right now, but I don't look into LEDs because I don't want one.

• 1 month later...
OPPO BDP-93 Bluray

I'm intrigued here.

I have no probs shelling out larger coin for a quality deck.

What's the selling features of these?

What bang do you get for your buck?

Any info appreciated.

OPPO is renowned for their excellent video processing quality

Here are reviews for the 93 model where they get praise as being reference quality blu ray players...the 93 is half the price of the 95 and unless you want a player for CD listening the reviews say the video quality is basically identical between the two models..I will be getting the 93 when I get my new LCD TV in the next couple of months........

http://www.oppodigit...-93-Review.aspx

Yeah, the Oppo is great. Compared to a Cambridge Audio 650BD and Denon DBP-1611UD, the Oppo came out ahead for picture quality. You get a video processing chip in it that Cambridge, Denon, and Marantz don't offer until you spend closer to a grand. The Oppo has excellent build quality too. It doesn't feel like a cheap plastic box. Now, how it's picture and audio compare to a $100 Sony or Samsung I can't say. I never looked at buying one of those. Now that I've got the Oppo I simply am set for DVD and BR and I won't buy another player for a long, long time.

Zint, a store in Markham carries the Oppo players. So you could make a visit if you want to investigate first before buying. It's called Solutions AV.

So I've been poking around, and that Solutions AV store delivers.

I like the reviews of both the Oppo 93 and 95.

Somewhat leaning towards the 95 for the cd factor.

KBear, Classic, what bang for the buck am I getting for the extra coin if I go for the '95?

• 5 weeks later...

BS, you still live at home right? If not, you have an apartment? The speakers I've seen you throw down for are made for like 20x30 foot room. Are you planning on getting a standalone studio apartment where you can actually use them to their potential? Because your neighbors will give you a stack of noise complaints 10 feet high.

I was this close to buying an Oppo deck.

In researching I found out their new models come out sometime before the end of the year if things go according to their plans.

Once the info is out on the new decks, I will choose and I'm def down for one of those!

Can't wait!

Nice! I don't think you can go wrong with either a 93 or a 103. From what I've read there isn't a huge performance gain that comes with the new models. But, I haven't read much.

I think I answered your earlier question in a PM. Personally I'd buy the lower player and then use the money saved to by a standalone CD player.

Nice! I don't think you can go wrong with either a 93 or a 103. From what I've read there isn't a huge performance gain that comes with the new models. But, I haven't read much.

I think I answered your earlier question in a PM. Personally I'd buy the lower player and then use the money saved to by a standalone CD player.

Other than newer generation video processor and some extra bells and whistles I don't think the 103 is much off an upgrade but if money is not an issue it never hurts to get the newest technology....that being said you might be able to get the 93 discounted once the 103 comes out...can't wait to fire up my first bluray on the OPPO when my new Panasonic 65" VT50 plasma is delivered Monday..............

New Panasonic Plasma delivered by Best Buy this morning...everything hooked up and digital stuff with the Marantz 5.1 receiver sorted out so now everything cooking...........watching HBO HD right now and roda tested the OPPO bluray player with Saving Private Ryan and it is amazing...may never leave the family room again................