Is 18 too early to get married?

WhazUp

• 5 years later...
On 4/2/2011 at 6:40 PM, batman007 said:

Here here

this got me curious so i looked into it and found this. of course this was 16 years ago so idk if it is that accurate. i thought the # of teen marriages ending in divorce would be MUCH higher. i went to a high school where there were at least 4 girls got married before graduation...3 of the 4 did so because the girl was pregnant. when my reunion came up the last year only one of the girls attended and she and her husband seemed happy. but for me no...in most cases it's too young. JMO.

The most comprehensive study on marriage and age that sociologists cite was published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2001, from 1995 data, and it found that 48 percent of those who marry before 18 are likely to divorce within 10 years, compared with 24 percent of those who marry after age 25.

I mean its hard to say without knowing who they are and what their relationship is like.

I'd say the general rule is that getting married that young is a bad idea. It could potentially close the door to a lot of life experiences that are almost exclusively reserved for your 20s.

But hey, everyone's different. Wouldn't judge someone for getting married at 18, but I would advise against.

Not that I am one to be giving advice on marriage, because I am in the process of ending my second one, but they really have not reached maturity yet and even though they love each other, they very well may end up growing apart as they get older. I do know people who have made it work that married young, but I know they did go through a lot of challenges...:blink:

There's no definitive answer. I'm going to say no because my brother and sister-in-law were both 18 when they married and they've been married 20 years now. My mom was 17 and dad was 22 when they got married and they were married 29 years before my mom died. 

But there's always an exception. 

Yes.  At 18 you're still trying to figure out who you are and what you want to do in your life.

Adding marriage which is very hard in the mix isn't good.

You are now thinking what's good for two people and trying to make ends meet with rent and bills and finding a job. If you're in college, then it's harder.

I wish your friend luck, but without help from their parents or having a great job, it probably won't last.

I hope they don't add a baby to the mix.

Dat bump indeed.

I'm getting married this May, at the age of 29. Looking back I realize I really was not mature at 18 -- even if I thought so at the time!  

In my personal situation, we have been dating for nearly 8 years now.  If anything, I think it has helped us to wait to get married rather than rush into things!