Is 18 too early to get married?

WhazUp

Ok so there is this girl I am friends who is getting married to her boyfriend who I have never met. She is a high school senior, and graduates in less than 2 months. She has been with this dude for about a year

Is it me or is this way too young to be getting married? She hasn't even had a chance to be on her own and have a post-high school social experience and here she is getting married

Ok so there is this girl I am friends who is getting married to her boyfriend who I have never met. She is a high school senior, and graduates in less than 2 months. She has been with this dude for about a year

Is it me or is this way too young to be getting married? She hasn't even had a chance to be on her own and have a post-high school social experience and here she is getting married

Yes. Too young. She's gonna regret it.

Too young. You change so much in your twenties, no telling what you'll be interested in by thirty to know if you'll both have anything in common. Figure out who you are before you figure out who you are with someone else.

In the 40s/50s they did it all the time. But then again they had a higher family value and respect for what marriage is.

they also had housewives whose only skills were to cook clean and make babies

who were not encouraged to pursue higher education or find a job ,so they had to rely on their husbands for support

many of these women stayed in these marriages because they had no choice, not out of love

todays women are more independent educated and self sufficient

marrying at 18 sounds like a joke, in the states they cant even legally drink at their own wedding

if 2 people are in love whats the rush to get a piece of paper

Yeah. It's too early. At 18, you are still growing and maturing in life. No telling how much you could change. You still have college in front of you. I guess the only way I would disagree, is if you lived in the backwoods somewhere and never left that area your entire life.

In the 40s/50s they did it all the time. But then again they had a higher family value and respect for what marriage is.

who were not encouraged to pursue higher education or find a job ,so they had to rely on their husbands for support

many of these women stayed in these marriages because they had no choice, not out of love

marrying at 18 sounds like a joke, in the states they cant even legally drink at their own wedding

Great post!

If they wanted just to move in together, their parents would probably disagree, right? Is getting married just an easier way for them to be together all the time?

On the other hand, as someone already said, some people just know.

A friend of mine and her boyfriend have been in a relationship since she was 13. Now they are 25, live together and will probably grow old together. Weird, but I can't picture her with no one else

P.S. and yes, I think it's too early

Edited by tsunami1982

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

you ladies do realize that they are plenty of INTELLIGENT woman today that dream of and want that lifestyle? Staying at home, cooking, cleaning, and raising the kids?

My brother and his wife have been together since they were about 15/16, got married at 18 and this September they'll be married 15 years.

I didn't get married at 18, but I did get married at 21.

Edited by luciusfunk

I would say it's too young. Obviously some people are gonna be together for a very long time (or forever) and have been dating since they were teenagers, but the way I see it, they may as well just wait a few more years to get married. If they're gonna be together anyway, there's no rush.

you ladies do realize that they are plenty of INTELLIGENT woman today that dream of and want that lifestyle? Staying at home, cooking, cleaning, and raising the kids?

u realize I was responding to the poster who brought up family values and respect as the reasons marriages lasted in the '40's/50's?

i was pointing out many times it was out of necessity, not out of want or a lack of INTELLIGENCE

no argument some women desire that lifestyle today, men do too as the number of stay at home dads increases

but i personally dont know any who spent years of study and thousands of dollars in student loans with the sole purpose of obtaining a degree so they can stay home to cook n clean

Simply, yes.

u realize I was responding to the poster who brought up family values and respect as the reasons marriages lasted in the '40's/50's?

i was pointing out many times it was out of necessity, not out of want or a lack of INTELLIGENCE

no argument some women desire that lifestyle today, men do too as the number of stay at home dads increases

but i personally dont know any who spent years of study and thousands of dollars in student loans with the sole purpose of obtaining a degree so they can stay home to cook n clean