Dave Grohl and The Foo Fighters

ITW 2012

They're really good. Fuck the haters. Grohl is a better songwriter than he is or ever was a drummer, too.

Sorry, what? :lol:
What what? :lol:

Better songwriter than drummer? :lol: Come on man, have you heard that kid drum?

He's awesome! But man, there are so many awesome drummers out there. There are few rock bands since the Foo Fighters bigger than the Foo Fighters. He's got a really good formula. And he's an awesome singer, too. Man, Dave's awesome.

Whatever happened to Pat Smear?

he's a full time member in the Foo Fighters

Just haven't seen him around in awhile, which I don't keep up with Foo too much either. Seems like there was a time when you didn't see him at all with the band.

Whatever happened to Pat Smear?

he's a full time member in the Foo Fighters

Just haven't seen him around in awhile, which I don't keep up with Foo too much either. Seems like there was a time when you didn't see him at all with the band.

Yeah, he wasn't always a full time member. Not sure when he came back into the fold.

I've been meaning to watch the new show Grohl has made for HBO called Sonic Highways. It sounds interesting enough. It chronicles the making of their new album which they made in cities and studios throughout America that have rich history like Chicago. And they interview musicians from those cities.

• Like 1

Stacked Actors is my fave Foos track. Solid band, nothing spectacularly dynamic but that's alright. Nirvana are the better band by miles. I always wondered what Kurt would make of FF since he really hated Pearl Jam for some reason. Also, if Grohl came into the songwriting fold more would it have harmed or helped evolve Nirvana?

Well Kurt was trying to encourage Dave to write more (e.g. using Marigold as a b-side,) so I would imagine that he'd be quite pleased by his success? If he had started writing songs for Nirvana or he and Kurt had started writing together who knows what they could have come up with? I don't think that it would have sounded much like Foo Fighters though, that's not the direction they were headed in with In Utero

EDIT: Has anybody heard Krist Novoselic's short lived side project called Sweet 75 with Yva las Vegas? It came out in 1997 I think, I thought it was great but they never released a follow up.

Edited by sturginho

Stacked Actors is my fave Foos track. Solid band, nothing spectacularly dynamic but that's alright. Nirvana are the better band by miles. I always wondered what Kurt would make of FF since he really hated Pearl Jam for some reason. Also, if Grohl came into the songwriting fold more would it have harmed or helped evolve Nirvana?

Well Kurt was trying to encourage Dave to write more (e.g. using Marigold as a b-side,) so I would imagine that he'd be quite pleased by his success? If he had started writing songs for Nirvana or he and Kurt had started writing together who knows what they could have come up with? I don't think that it would have sounded much like Foo Fighters though, that's not the direction they were headed in with In Utero

EDIT: Has anybody heard Krist Novoselic's short lived side project called Sweet 75 with Yva las Vegas? It came out in 1997 I think, I thought it was great but they never released a follow up.

I think the Grohl/Cobain tandem could have achieved severely great things, I like a lot of the Foos stuff, especially first three records but I always feel there's some kinda aggression missing, I know Grohl is capable of rocking the hell out, Low and Alone/Easy Target are great but his vocals have a ceiling... only one aspect of a band, the snarling stomp but it's a side I know Kurt could contribute... we know Cobain had a phenomenal sense of melody and the chill soundscape. I remember Stipe of REM saying Kurt wanted a full acoustic record next, Grohl would have been a great hand in adding to that. He plays drums like a goddamn beast, I just feel the Foos seem to hold him back in terms of his influences, nothing wrong with their back catalogue though.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thinking hard how about catching them on this upcoming tour. Not their biggest fan but I don't really have anything against them and always heard they put on good shows.

I have always thought, for Dave to be so talented, and to have such a big personality, and with his musical background, I always thought Foo would be a bit more, outside the box? Or harder? Or edgy? I don't know, they have been pretty tame and stuck with the same formula. I don't hate it, just figured Dave would be a little more unpredictable than they have been.

just like with any other band I suppose, one loves them, the guy next door hates them.

fact is, any album FF ever made can be considered EPIC compared to CD.

the truth is they always struggled with making entirely great album, but Wasting Light is by far their most compact album.

truth be told, they are also great musicians and are one of the few, if not the only, who put out and tremendously great live show, like Gunners in the 90's.

Nobody can say they are not great band, cause that simply wouldn't be fair, like them or not.

My thoughts exactly about FF being one trick poney. They got really amazing talent in the band but they keep on writing those pop-rock songs (and some of them are great I love some of their songs) but I don't understand why they are stuck in one place. They are so big they could easily try something different from time to time.

They're amazing live that's true and Dave Grohl is one of the most amazing down to earth persons in music (him headbanging in front row during Soundgarden gig was epic !) but there's thing with those guys from 80-90s....take Pearl Jam they are still great live, or AiC (I've seen them during Black Gives Way to Blue tour in small club - 2h30min of complete facemelting madness)

Edited by eye2eye

• 2 months later...

This is fucking cool:

http://wkbn.com/2015/04/15/foo-fighters-to-play-show-at-niles-record-store/

NILES, Ohio (WKBN) – The Foo Fighters announced Wednesday that they will play a concert Saturday in Weathersfield Township as part of National Record Store Day, according to an announcement on the band’s website.

Fans are already camped out outside the Record Connection, where tickets can be obtained, according to a store representative.

The concert is scheduled to start at noon Saturday and will be held at an empty storefront in the plaza where Record Connection is located.

The Foo Fighters is a band featuring Warren native Dave Grohl. The Record Connection employee told WKBN that Weathersfield PD will help with security.

In order to gain entrance to the concert, you must be one of the first 150 people to pre-order Songs From the Laundry Room, the Foo Fighters’ upcoming album, from the Record Connection.

Customers can reserve the album starting at 10 a.m. Thursday, according to the release, and must do so in person.

Each customer must provide a valid photo ID upon reserving the album and arriving for the concert.

Anybody else hate this guy and his band? They've made some of the most boring music I've ever heard. Yeah, he was in Nirvana, but so what? Kurt Cobain was that band. Grohl was never anything special. I think it's a joke that people make him out to be some great drummer. He's no Moon or Bonham. You don't hear his playing on an album and instantly recognize that as being Dave Grohl.

Foo Fighters to perform here soon... Tickets...well, no.....Albums on sale today. In order to get a ticket you have to buy the new album. Grohl is from my area, when in town he plays with one of our great local bands. I really have no opinion of him....not impressed.

I went to his show. Wasn't really impressed. The new album? After the hype was over? It was ok. Not bad, not as good as the last one before that, Wasting Light. That one was his best so far. He's too pretentious. Like the Will Smith of music... Dude just wants to be everything. Well, you can't. You just can't be the cool guy, the badass rocker, the cult musician, the side project dude all at the same time. It's not how that works. You can't be Jack White and Ozzy at the same time.