MYGNRFORUM *not* closing

eRomano

the closing of this forum is a huge loss for GNR

edit: Man I just realized ive been a member for almost 10 years,im turning 25 in June and its crazy how this band's lack of touch with the fans has somehow survived through independent sites like this for more than a decade. It's sad that GNR has wanted this forum closed and we got Axl to publicly insult Madison along with a bunch of young punks who weren't even alive when the original band were together. Now that CD has been released and I was lucky enough to see them twice in 2006 I can say that I am closing the book on this band because frankly I got what I wanted and it's time for I guess younger fans to enjoy this version while the OG fans can only wish that the old band reunite for at least one gig which in my opinion WILL HAPPEN but not for another ten years or so :P

Edited by saint_seiya

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sad to think that the Guns N' Roses camp "won". Makes me truly resent them a little bit.

I don't really want to frame it as a fight. It's not like we were at war... it's kind of just that we're human too and you can only put the effort there and defend a band for so long that you overwhelmingly feel don't want you to be doing that for them.

This place had the support of some really motivated and intelligent people over the years. If we had the support from a functional band, this community could have grown 5x in size and strength. Instead we were constantly battling with bickering and people getting frustrated by the situation we were left in. Sucks.

Umm...

So, obviously this is bad news and all for us fans - I've been a supporter coming to this website for a long time (since 03) - but I'm now confused about two things:

1) Why the fucking hell are you guys (Eric and Highvoltage) thanking Madison now after you both turned against her a year ago?

2) Why do you think it should be Axl's or the band's responsibility to pay for the server fees to keep this place up and running?

Firstly, a year ago, Eric and the rest of the mod team we're busy justifying giving Madison the boot and patting themselves on the back for attempting to get on the band's good side. Now all of a sudden because the band won't pay for the server fees you're all about how the band is "not so great [at] marketing," and you're back to thanking Madison for all the help she was? Give me a break.

Even though Axl didn't like Madison maybe had you guys not shown her the door she could have covered some of these increased fees? She was after all an Admin here…

Secondly, why wouldn't you expect threatening letters from GN'R legal team? This place was a hotbed for leaks back in '06, and they know it. A formal cease and desist letter isn't anything personal against the forum, it's just business…a business that could be severely damaged by leaked intellectual property. If I were in GN'R's camp this would definitely be a place I'd send a cease and desist letter to if potentially harmful material was about to be leaked.

And if GN'R didn't care about the forum then why did Axl, Bumble, DJ, Fernando, etc. come on here and chat on occasion with us fans?

And thirdly, why on earth would anyone here think it's GN'R's responsibility to pay for this forum? Eric, when you started this forum back in 2001 did you or anyone else here expect for the band to someday come and take it off your hands? You started this as a fan. It's never been anyone's responsibility but yours.

You can claim that GN'R is bad at marketing all you want, but the fact of the matter is, they do things their way and always have. Obviously your little forum didn't fit into their vision. After all, 30, 000 something forum members is quite insignificant when compared to the total GN'R fanbase; and might I add, that these 30, 000 something forum members have never done anything but bitch and moan. So why would Axl want to take this place over?

Let's not pretend this forum closure is something it's not. Reality is it's expensive keeping this place running. Fine, and understandable. But let's not play both sides of the fence here -- first by reducing Madison to nothing to appease the band, and then applauding her and condemning the band when things don't go your way.

See, I knew a post like that would come up from those comments. Regardless of how things ended up towards the end of her tenure (still stand by everything i've said), I have enough respect for madison to thank her for the joint effort she put in for many years here. She is a completely separate issue - it's nice to know that this is the last time I have to justify our actions though. :)

I had a great time especially in the old days when it was exciting

The Axl chats were a great highlight for me and meeting forum members over the years

If something good was to come out of this let's hope it's the two unreleased albums that fans have been wanting for years B) :thumbsup:

All the best guys B)

See, I knew a post like that would come up from those comments. Regardless of how things ended up towards the end of her tenure (still stand by everything i've said), I have enough respect for madison to thank her for the joint effort she put in for many years here. She is a completely separate issue - it's nice to know that this is the last time I have to justify our actions though. :)

If you're worried about justifying your comments, then just don't make comments to begin with. Why do you think Axl stays silent 99% of the time?

Just sayin' dude.

The forum has been a cool place and all, and most of you mods have been pretty chill. I just see massive hypocrisy in its closing statement.

Wow, outta the blue. Maybe not to everyone, but it seems to many of us.

Thanks to Eric for putting up the money. Thanks to the mods for all their time, and to all the nutty Guns fans. Man, when I think back to the Hammerstein days, leaks, and the live shows streamed online. This place was really fun! And would've been again this October.

But honestly, GN'R wanted this place closed? How pathetic is that? Focus on getting your own shit together for Christ's sake. Get your eyes back on the ball. You guys are a band, first and foremost. Worry about that, instead of this petty forum crap. Maybe that's a good idea? Hmmm?

Sad to say that a lot of the passion I've had, while still there, is just getting harder and harder to muster. So one final thanks to the band, who have ensured the fans got screwed one more time. It's too bad that you guys can't see that we are all huge fans, and it's our passion for the band that makes us say harsh things. But we call it like we see it. Not like some places, where praise is mandated. Since when was GN'R about being controlled and liking it?

Peace!

It's sad to think that the Guns N' Roses camp "won". Makes me truly resent them a little bit.

I don't really want to frame it as a fight. It's not like we were at war... it's kind of just that we're human too and you can only put the effort there and defend a band for so long that you overwhelmingly feel don't want you to be doing that for them.

This place had the support of some really motivated and intelligent people over the years. If we had the support from a functional band, this community could have grown 5x in size and strength. Instead we were constantly battling with bickering and people getting frustrated by the situation we were left in. Sucks.

PARTY PASSES

Eric and HV:

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping this place going as long as you did!

Haven't always agreed with everything that has gone on and have been frustrated with Axl's actions (more accurately his constant acts of inaction) for years BUT...

I've had a lot of fun on this website.

Thanks and Happy Trails!

-Johnny Utah

ps: If there's ever a reunion...restart the site, I'll pay.

You think Axl will read this thread? He probably won't, but here goes

HI AXL. FUND THIS FUCKING PLACE. OR PUT OUT A NEW ALBUM. OR MAKE UP WITH SLASH. OR DO ALL THREE. SERIOUSLY.

But seriously, do the third one. Like, seriously. SERIOUSLY. DOOOOO IITTTTTTTTT.

I can't believe the band wants the biggest GNR site on the net shutdown. We talk a lot of smack, but I bought like 7 copies of CD, and have traveled to New York, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver (Riot), Everett, and Tacoma to see them perform over the years.

Edited by ITW 2012

Thank you everyone involved for making this a great forum. I've been coming here since 2002. I remember the first time I even heard of Chinese Democracy (The Album) and I followed its progress here. A lot of ups and downs, but I will miss it. I'm glad I stuck in long enough for the album the come out.

-EvilAsh2015

With mygnr closing I will say, this was the first and only forum I ever joined. From finding out about this place in the summer of 06 Googling "Civil War" lyrics to finding out about the Garden show here, then finding out about the Rose Bar show due to dedicated fans that basically allowed me to go (read the full story if you want under my topics) I must say, this was a cool site, with some funny and awesome people, some of which I met in real life by chance. Well though I haven't posted much, and am probably known as a grey box with words in it at best here, lwt me just show some appreciation and say... Goodbye You Guys!!

Wow, surely thought this was a late April fools joke at first. Sad to see it's not. This is my most visited forum for my favorite band of all time. I seriously don't know where I'll go to chat about it now. Wish GNR could put some official forums out or something. I feel like these were them anyway.

I can't believe the band wants the biggest GNR site on the net shutdown. We talk a lot of smack, but I bought like 7 copies of CD, and have traveled to New York, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver (Riot), Everett, and Tacoma to see them perform over the years.

They've lost their fuckin' way since 1994, man. This is just part of that.

Honestly, what other band had more potential and realized so little of it? There is none.

I'll miss your crazy threads, dude. You had some great insight into music too. Cheers.

See Highvoltage,

This is the kind of negativity comments like yours and Eric's bring. It's stupid. This place was never the band's responsibility, but you and Eric have managed pass the blame off for this place closing.

I can't believe the band wants the biggest GNR site on the net shutdown.

They've lost their fuckin' way since 1994, man. This is just part of that.

What kind of a man treats his fans like this, especially after all we've supported him through. Honestly, I really feel sorry for Axl right now. Ironic, right?