Why can't Guns maintain a steady line-up?

Towelie

I'm not talking about the old band, we all heard those stories a hundred times... I'm talking about NuGuns. Other than Tommy and Dizzy, no-one from any incarnation of NuGuns has stood the distance. Buckethead left, Finck was fired/left, Brain left, Josh Freese came and went... the list goes on.

Do you think it's Axl's stop-start approach to recording new music that drives these musicians away? Or do these guys view being in the band as just another job? It's not like these guys have any emotional or sentimental attatchment to Guns (certainly not like the old band would).

I sometimes wonder how Axl views the revolving-door policy of the last decade. It must be frustrating - there's a new member in the band with practically every tour these days. Perhaps this is why we've yet to hear anymore material from the CD-era... Maybe Axl doesn't know what to do or how to market material that was written and recorded by members who are no longer around??

Edited by Towelie

I'm not talking about the old band, we all heard those stories a hundred times... I'm talking about NuGuns. Other than Tommy and Dizzy, no-one from any incarnation of NuGuns has stood the distance. Buckethead left, Finck was fired/left, Brain left, Josh Freese came and went... the list goes on.

Do you think it's Axl's stop-start approach to recording new music that drives these musicians away? Or do these guys view being in the band as just another job? It's not like these guys have any emotional or sentimental attatchment to Guns (certainly not like the old band would).

I sometimes wonder how Axl views the revolving-door policy of the last decade. It must be frustrating - there's a new member in the band with practically every tour these days. Perhaps this is why we've yet to hear anymore material from the CD-era... Maybe Axl doesn't know what to do or how to market material that was written and recorded by members who are no longer around??

You missed Chris Pittman. Brain had a child and is still associated with the band/was doing that remix stuff very recently. Josh was a long time ago and never played a single show with Guns, he was a studio guy.

Finck left to do Nine Inch Nail's farewell tour/other reasons I don't know.

Paul Huge was never really comfy playing with the band live from what I've read and Richard replaced him and has been there since 2002.

Ever see Iron Maiden's membership change chart? Makes GN'R's look simple.

In the end, I like the current lineup the most since the original, so I don't really care too much.

You missed Chris Pittman. Brain had a child and is still associated with the band/was doing that remix stuff very recently. Josh was a long time ago and never played a single show with Guns, he was a studio guy.

Paul Huge was never really comfy playing with the band live from what I've read and Richard replaced him and has been there since 2002.

In the end, I like the current lineup the most since the original, so I don't really care too much.

Except most of Iron Maiden's lineup changes happened before they recorded their first album.

Let's not compare apples and oranges here. Maiden has released how many more albums than GNR?

GNR:

AFD

Lies

UYI I

UYI II

CD

Iron Maiden:

Iron Maiden

Killers

The Number of the Beast

Piece of Mind

Powerslave

Somewhere in Time

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

No Prayer For The Dying

Fear of the Dark

X-Factor

Virtual XI

Brave New World

Dance of Death

A Matter of Life and Death

The Final Frontier

Not to mention the countless live DVDs and live CDs that Maiden has put out, along with monumental world tours. Yeah, they've had a few lineup changes (mainly singers), but they've also had a much larger amount of material. Oh, and they're still on tour. And Lies barely counts as an album.

Josh is considered an official member of Devo.

Who put out an interactive video -

http://mashable.com/2011/04/19/devo-what-we-do/

Hahaha what a cupcake thread. The list doesn't really go on does it??? That's it!! You have mentioned everyone that left except Huge. And we all know he doesn't really count in such a debate. The lead guitar role is the only real unstable one in the history of post 1996 GNR.

what do you expect from a band that's been around for 25 years? we're lucky to still have them - most bands don't last more than a handful of years, before they quit. the problem is that people change with time, and the people and things you're into at one point in life won't necessarily be the people and things you'll be into at another point.

think of any band that's been around for 25 years, all of them have had lineup changes. I really don't see what the big deal is. the world changes, get used to it already. :shrugs:

GNR have been a revolving door since the very beginning. Tracii Guns, Rob Gardner, Ole Beich anyone?

Kind of a silly thread.....

we all know who it took to make the great music that still gets air play on modern rock stations. i mean the guys you listed didn't even record anything, let alone click as a productive unit and start cranking out material. Unless you can tell me your favorite Ole Beich bass line, or which one of Tracii Guns important lead guitar contributions stands out to you the most...

Let's reevalute this.

Since 2006, they have had all the same members in it as they do now except for DJ replaced Robin so I think they are pretty steady.

Let's reevalute this.

Since 2006, they have had all the same members in it as they do now except for DJ replaced Robin so I think they are pretty steady.

Yeah. Still, since 2001:

Robin -> DJ

Bucket -> Bumble

Tobias -> Fortus

Brain -> Frank

But considering the ex-members backgrounds and track records, I think this was all to be expected.

I think the current lineup is FINALLY a stable one, a lineup I could see being together for the next 10 years.

the funny thing is Axl didn't fire any of these guys either. he may be hell to work with but he doesn't fire band members.

Guest siliconmessiah

Q: Why can´t Guns maintain a steady line-up?

A: I think a lot of the problems lie in Axl:s egoistic, divalatic and erratic ways of behaving and running things. Being in a band for almost 5-6 years and don´t release a single thing, like when Finck & Bucket & Brain were in, must be hard on a professional musician. I think that Axl was promising the band members that there would be releases, just as he engulfed fans in false promises about releases and video releases. But as the release for CD got pushed back, they grew tired on him and his promises and left.

I see the same thing coming up ahead. Let´s say that we´ll eventually will have an album released in 5-10 years time (may also never happen), it all comes down to the patience of the hired guns and if they will be happy to keep touring AFD and CD, and how good Axl:s condition will be - after all he´s pushing 50. There is also a danger that the current lineup will vanish into the air, just like so many times before.

Edited by siliconmessiah