Duff on reunion

Fogy Malone

''When are you guys gonna get back together?'

'Well none of us guys have said we're going to. I wonder if some people - not all - if some people think if we got back together, they'd get their teenage years back? Are they asking us to get back together so that they can get their youth back, even for a minute?'

'Well none of us guys have said we're going to. I wonder if some people - not all - if some people think if we got back together, they'd get their teenage years back? Are they asking us to get back together so that they can get their youth back, even for a minute?'

I don't like what Duff has turned into.

I am sure he is just tired about being asked the same tired question over and over..Slash snaps every now and then when asked this question..can't blame them really as they get asked this in every interview as if the answer is going to change...........

This. I think it's a perfectly reasonable answer.

I am sure he is just tired about being asked the same tired question over and over..Slash snaps every now and then when asked this question..can't blame them really as they get asked this in every interview as if the answer is going to change...........

I agree with this. I know when Slash was in SA during interviews the press was asked not to ask him any GNR questions.

It's the truth. It's been so long, does anyone think that Guns getting back together is going to rejuvenate them? Obviously as fans, we'd love to see it...but do THEY want it? Do you think Slash or Duff think at least once a day "Man, I really wanna reunite with Izzy and Axl and Steven on stage one more time."

Surely the thoughts come once in a while, but do they want it more than anything? No. So why bother? For the fans? For the money? There's no need. It'd be for the fans if they ever did.

I don't like what Duff has turned into.

Nothing wrong with Duff or his answer.

I was talking more generally. I don't like what he writes on his blog, I don't like his views on economy. I don't like Loaded.

Duff has nothing to do with punk rock anymore. He's become too sophisticated imo.

reunions are lame

You would be first in row for a nugnr reunion with Buckethead, Finck, Brain, etc.

You would be first in row for a nugnr reunion with Buckethead, Finck, Brain, etc.

I'd love to see that. I'd love to see any lineup without Slash.

Who are you kidding you would be fighting for tickets just like the rest of us if there was ever a reunion between Slash and Axl........ ;)

As crazy as it sounds I would not. If that ever happens i'll leave this forum forever.

It will happen. Axl will stop thinking about himself for a moment and realise that he needs to do this to give the fans something that they want (or maybe as an excuse to delay a nuGN'R album)

"I was talking more generally. I don't like what he writes on his blog, I don't like his views on economy. I don't like Loaded.

Duff has nothing to do with punk rock anymore. He's become too sophisticated imo."

You must be kidding friendo :rofl-lol:

Yes, there's something wrong. All the people who want a GNR reunion just want to see their favourite band performing again. It's as simple as that. It has absolutely nothing to do with "getting their youth back".

Duff is not good at playing Dr. Freud.

I'm sure some old school GNR fans would want to see them for the nostalgia, but the front row would be full of teenagers, not guys in their late 40s who can't fit in their AFD tour shirt from '87-88. It's probably more of a family affair, but kids drag their parents to go to a Bieber concert. Wait..didn't Duff go to a Bieber concert???

Every reunion tour I've seen was a wide mix of ages. And he knows firsthand how band dynamics affect the sound of a band, as someone who was a founding member of GNR, and a replacement member of Janes Addiction. Why agree to work with Janes if it was about the audience was there for 2 albums that were recorded over 20 years ago?

There hasn't been a reason for them to discuss doing a reunion tour. They're all financially comfortable. It would be a lot of work just to get the lawyers to talk to each other, let alone them. Not a lot of people know Van Halen reunited in 2000, but Roth walked because they wouldn't reinstate him as a business partner, and would've been put on salary. Azoff worked that out... that's pretty much what the same deal would be.

Yes, there's something wrong. All the people who want a GNR reunion just want to see their favourite band performing again. It's as simple as that. It has absolutely nothing to do with "getting their youth back".

I agree with you on Duff and his remarks. But as far as a reunion it could not work. For one thing what would they call the band? Axl owns the GNR name and there is no way that Slash or Duff would work for Axl. Plus the emotional stress it would put on Axl and Slash would have to be tremendous. All this of course is JMO.

• 1 month later...

I agree with you on Duff and his remarks. But as far as a reunion it could not work. For one thing what would they call the band? Axl owns the GNR name and there is no way that Slash or Duff would work for Axl. Plus the emotional stress it would put on Axl and Slash would have to be tremendous. All this of course is JMO.

Of course under such a set up it would not work, indeed its big part of why the original band split. Things is though I really think a reunion would work. Having seen Gnr Old and nu, VR and Slash numerous times I can see the old magic is still there, that's the frustrating thing.

• 1 month later...

Maybe he's thinking about the old school fans, but the vast majority who want the reunion NEVER saw the original lineup. Half their old school crowd are the ones buying Taylor Swift and Lady Antebellum CDs. Pink is as hard rock as it gets in the soccer mom posse.

Who are you kidding you would be fighting for tickets just like the rest of us if there was ever a reunion between Slash and Axl........ ;)

As crazy as it sounds I would not. If that ever happens i'll leave this forum forever.

It will happen. Axl will stop thinking about himself for a moment and realise that he needs to do this to give the fans something that they want (or maybe as an excuse to delay a nuGN'R album)

Don't feed the cupcake :)

Axl isn't like other people...he's very childish, has a very distorted perception of who and what he is, and what he can and can't do, but he's surrounded by so many "yes" people that he feels dignified about how he is...maybe even like it's how he SHOULD be...I mean this in regards to numerous thing, the biggest being owning the GNR name and forcing the other members to sign it over to him back during the UYI tour, making fans wait for hours before concerts, walking off stage or just not showing up/cancelling, etc. Even at Rock in Rio 3, when he motions to that stage worker to come take his shirt, the way he does it is very indicative of his entitlement complex, and his overall character. He is an awesome singer, song writer, performer, etc. but as a person, he is crazy, and very immature. he is a perfect example of someone who had serious emotional/pyscological issues, but was never forced to mature, like 99% of people, because he's had money and fame.

So, unless he has some kind of epiphony, a true GNR reunion will never happen.

more from Duff:

Beyond McKagan's issues with drugs, It's So Easy also focuses on the rocker's musical adventures -- such as his decision, as a teenager, to leave his hometown of Seattle and move to Los Angeles. Of course, shortly after arriving in L.A., he joined Guns N' Roses. Regardless of how the band's original lineup eventually disintegrated, he told ABC News Radio that he was extremely proud of what the group accomplished at its height.

"We achieved what I'd hoped when I left Seattle," he explained. "The chemistry was ridiculous. And, we had the best everybody in our band. The best singer. Izzy [stradlin] -- the best rhythm guitar-player/singer guy, songwriter guy. Slash -- I mean, c'mon. At 19, he played like an old blues guy, but ferocious. And Steven [Adler], with that groove he created. And, as a band, it was real and it was all of those things. And, it was a little piece of this and a little piece of that, and it all fit together."

The powers that be behind the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were similarly enthusiastic about Guns, choosing to nominate the group in its first year of eligibility. McKagan, however, seemed a bit reticent to comment about the band's possible induction.

"There's nothing really yet to say, except that I'm grateful to our fans," he maintained. "I don't know anything about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I know some of the bands that are in there, and to be mentioned in that same…breath is dumb…And, I see people are really passionate about this thing -- people that have followed our band for a long time. And if they're passionate about it, then I'm not going to be unpassionate about it."

He also was apprehensive to speculate about what might happen if GN'R was to be inducted, perhaps taking into account the fractured relations between some of the band members.

"Honestly, I have no idea what's going to happen," he said. "I hope we can achieve some grace, if and when it ever happens."

Read On ABC News Radio: http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-news/2011/10/12/duff-mckagan-discusses-new-book-comments-on-guns-n-roses-roc.html#ixzz1abIU5ELS

This is such a weird thing to think, the part about Axl being selfish for not doing a reunion. Doing a reunion would mean a whole new life for him, a full time chore and at the same time dealing people and emotions he left behind for different reasons. For the fan it would be... good entertainment. Is it selfish not to change your whole life and dedicate it to something you rather wouldn't for the sake of other people's wish for entertainment? Also seeing as Axl actually has had emotional/mental issues throughout his life, going back to this would maybe be really hard for him emotionally. The selfish person here is the fan demanding this for his own entertainment wishes.

That said, I would love a reunion.

Edited by Changes

Your hate for Slash just completely baffles me.... I dunno... I just honestly don't get why you hate the guy so much. No, I don't think you are a cupcake and you do make good points and good posts, but it seems that any of your posts regarding Slash takes all of that and throws it out the window. He did contribute a hell of a lot to the band musically that laid down the foundation for any lineup from 1985 to present day. Not liking his playing is one thing, but denying that (specifically the posts you made referring to Tracii Guns) is just silly IMO

Edited by WhazUp

I'd love to be a fly on the wall IF anyone could ever get Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven/Matt in same room. Alone...no "advisors" or lawyers or "yes men". Would be damn interesting. Duff and Axl had the "by coincidence" meeting in London last year, wonder what would happen if Axl & Slash ever met in an elevator etc....alone? Take away Beta, take away lawyers, take away "advisors"....be damn interesting.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall IF anyone could ever get Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven/Matt in same room. Alone...no "advisors" or lawyers or "yes men". Would be damn interesting. Duff and Axl had the "by coincidence" meeting in London last year, wonder what would happen if Axl & Slash ever met in an elevator etc....alone? Take away Beta, take away lawyers, take away "advisors"....be damn interesting.

Understanding Axl's mental condition would be key to achieving that. I don't think he's bipolar, I think its something else. See what you think of this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_personality_disorder

Some deep stuff in there...wow. Beyond my comprehension. I think it's clear he's effed up in the head to some degree. Too bad after all the years, all the Dr.'s, all the lawyers, all the "friends" noone has found the proper treatment/counseling for him. And you may be right, Axl's scared of rejection from Slash....I'm guessing after 15 minutes of awkwardness & tears they'd be back.

Edited by Snowmass

I don't like Duff's comment at all. Besides Axl and the usual suspects on the forums, everyone wants to see Axl,Slash,Duff and Izzy on stage together again.

I think Duff's Wall Street success has gone to his head.

• 2 months later...