Manic Street Preachers

Georgy Zhukov

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent some time with "Everything Must Go" over the weekend.

Overall, I liked it -"Australia" is awesome, but "Kevin Carter" and "Small Black Flowers That Grow In the Sky" are both horrendous.

The B-Sides were pretty terrible as well.

I prefered many of the b-sides to the album tracks. Dead Trees, Hanging On, Sepia, Horses Under Moonlight..maybe that was the Design for Life cd single. I think because the album tracks are loaded wit meaning. Enola/Alone I think is good track, Australia, EMG, Elvis Impersonator.

With Truth not sure, so hard to actually make it through whole album. Ready for Drowning, Not Working are good tracks.

My pet hates of Manics are Let Robeson Sing and You Stole the Sun from my Heart - not really the song the guitar riff! or just way it's done. what is it that? why? But live Ive seen Nicky and the fans get into the chorus. Let Robeson Sing is ok tune but the lyrics are just too lame, heartfelt maybe but just. But Know Your Enemy is tour da force overall. Really the scope of it is mind blowing. Even Wattsville Blues makes sense somedays. The Convalescent and Epicentre, My Little Guernica these are all epic masterworks completely lost on side b of an obscure album.

No surface All Feeling and Nobody Loved You are over looked track bcos on the end of the albums. A bit like Gold Against the Soul the song, or even S.Y. M. M.

The problem with My Truth is the same with Californication. The best songs were on the first side of the album. But the latter songs get better in future listens though.

On Be Natural they start to sound like Led Zepp. Nobody Loved You is OTT track almost like Smashing Pumpkins. I'm pretty much done after finishing The Everlasting. You're Tender and You're Tired is like a John Lennon song. it's all just full blown stadium rock.

I was listening to Archives of Pain and it's quite dancey little number.

Not my favorite song from them to be honest, skippy skipperson. I like the sonics of Tolerate more.

Libraries gave us power then work came and made us free what price now for a shallow piece of diginity?

I've always wondered how that would go over inner-nationally. nobody really cares about the class struggle outside of the UK?

look beyond "the hits" with the Manics? like Let robeson sing was a single? fuck that shit.

I get the meaning of the song, idea just think the lyrics are a bit awarkward. some of them. I just find it a bit smaltzy. but Design and Robeson are like meant to be almost like rugby anthems?

I used to listen to a Paul Robeson tape at some point. I guess of Lazy Bones. I think I've even seen a few films.

around Trurh James really started to sing. I think on Postcards it's the perfect balance.

...just free to be happy

It's weird cos they did return to their roots with Know Your Enemy. Then really made 3 definitive Manics albums with Tigers, Lovers and Postcards. Even Lifeblood was billed as The Holy Bible for 30-somethings by Nicky.

The Future Has Been Here 4ever is one track that really seems to shake off the past.

no youlube? or just this vid? it's not a state of the art video it's just clips from early on collaged together, it's quite effective but looks a bit dated. it has nostalgic energy. what about MTV.com

It says "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Most of the Manics' videos aren't viewable in the US.