This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

Guest ben9785

Yeah, unfortunately, for an opening night of a tour, and at Rock in Rio festival, broadcast to the world, Axl wasn't at his best. Yes, the weather didn't help matters, but coming off the 2010 shows in which Axl was on top form, this show should have kept the momentum going and possibly open the door for a future after "Chinese Democracy", which I think is the reason why so many people were hopeful, almost certain, there would be a new song, or at least some talk about the future.

Again, the weather was an issue yes, but if you're playing as part of a major act like GNR, you have to keep on top form and be able to deliver. Ron doesn't sing but considering his responsibilities on guitar, coming out of the serious car accident that has probably affected his physical capabilities for the long term, he kept himself in shape as best as he could and kept rehearsing, even though he, out of the whole band, would have been the least enthusiastic about touring. But there he was onstage, some minor distractions here and there but for the most part as good as ever, standing out there under the rain with the double neck guitar close to the fans.

I don't have a reason to be angry, and no Axl doesn't owe us anything, but I do feel very disappointed because this could have been so much more than it was. If you're making the commitment to go out and tour, then just like any other business, you have to make the effort for the people who are providing your livelihood..

Thanks.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl obviously can't be arsed at a lot of this show from what i've seen, but the calls for the end of the band and everything else are hilarious. God knows how long i've been here but nothing's changed. One bad gig, but then so much of this bands career has always been a farce. Estranged was actually pretty good, Ron fucking up Jungle was pretty ridiculous so fuck knows what possessed him to keep wearing that Star Wars mask.

Seems comparable to the Download gig with all the limited mobility. Not excusing any kind of low grade performance but looking at the amount of water on that stage was insane.

I'm sure they'll have an easier time on the tour.

at what point did axl get pissed?

I didn't see him get pissed, but he did get sad a few times from his own mistakes when he forgot lyrics.

I think November rain changed Axl´s mood. After that he got more and more angry

Exactly, check this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maH04rlMCpk At 07:18, Axl has completely forgotten the lyrics of his song, and fails 3 times after that. Of course the band don't understand what the fuck he's doing so they fuck up as well and then Axl doesn't sing at all on the last (and normally best) part of November Rain. He's probably mad at himself but it gives the impression he's mad at the band or the weather's conditions. When you fuck up live, you act like a pro and do like it never happened. Godammit Axl used to do it back in the day, he even laughed about it when singing Patience in 2006.

After that, the gig was pretty much killed by Axl's mood and his other mistakes (namely Patience).

at what point did axl get pissed?

I didn't see him get pissed, but he did get sad a few times from his own mistakes when he forgot lyrics.

He literally said he was pissed.

Honestly I wouldn't compare Axl's voice on the broadcast with the 2010 amateur recordings. If you go back to the BBC Reading or the 2006 Rock in Rio broadcast his voice sounded exactly the same as last night.

I think it's more likely that something is off with how they record his voice for a broadcast than that the very few official recordings we have of the band also happen to be Axl's worst performances of each year.

The show did seem to lose momentum though towards the end, with Axl getting too nervous with some of his mistakes and carrying that along for the rest of the set, causing a snowball effect. I'm sure he'll get better as the tour goes on, but from an outside perspective I really wish he would rehearse more with the rest of the band so these things wouldn't happen. Let Beta or whomever deal with whatever other bullshit there is.

Estranged was amazing, but everytime the band would jam I hoped it was a new song about to begin. Hopefully that will happen on a better night.

Guys...this is a shambles. It's really as if Axl couldn't give a shit.

Not only that, why was the sound tech team so awful? I'm assuming Axl brought his own guys. The mix was dreadful at times. The guitars bar the lead were COMPLETELY buried in the mix, and the vocals were literally clipping at points. At a professional show. Clipping.

Really not impressed.

Pretty bummed, but not surprised considering it was the first show in 10 months and Axl is Axl. He obviously didn't prepare himself like he should have for RIR2001, the VMAs in 2002, and every start of every tour since 1993. I wish he wouldn't have dropped the ball so hard on such a big stage, but I'm willing to give him a few shows to get warmed up. We shouldn't have to, but that's his standard opperating procedure. Bummer, though. I would hope the tour doesn't get called off because I'd still love to see them, Mickey Mouse voice and all.

Guest ben9785

Well, I just hope things will get better.. yes it is only just one show, but coming off the end of the last tour where the whole band sounded solid, this was disappointing, and at a major festival of all places..

Anyway, we'll see as the tour progresses. Better days to come..

It was quite obvious Axl was not pleased from the very first moment of the show..i believe the rain didn't let him give the show he wanted to give...i think the band overall played a decent show and i'm happy..shit happens..There were always sound problems with Guns in Rock In Rio...1991-2001-2006-2011...

Let's hope for a good us tour now...

ps:this is rock n' roll,not molecular biology..cheer up a bit

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

You’re all overreacting; it was a good show (and I’m sure most in attendance would dispel YouTube’s propaganda).

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Everything went against the possibility of a perfect show; I’d rather GN’R deliver a consistent North America tour rather than invest their potential in one mammoth performance to fanatic Brazilians.

On topic, can someone please tell me what Tommy is saying to Axl at 01:56 here:

I hear "haven't seen you in humm over a yeah man" and I can't hear the rest clearly. Axl looks deadly disappointed after that and doesn't look like wanting to sing Paradise City.

It's the saddest gig I've seen for sure, really pains me as fuck.

edit: kudos to you gunsguy, at least you remain faithful to your positions, I appreciate it. I'm just not the kind of person to hide my feelings.

Edited by D..

Look, I was at the Download festival show in 2006 and half of that show was a complete mess and they went on then and will now.

Anyway, I thought there were really good parts in there, it was what I expected after them not touring for so long.

Edited by mustaine

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Regarding new songs, why would Axl give a bad first impression of the material by presenting it in frankly dire conditions?

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR