This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

He's just ripping people off

I am surprised more people aren't upset about that aspect.

By "playing his way" into shape so to speak, he is all but announcing that this first batch of shows are full priced practice sessions because he clearly spent zero time preparing on his own before hand.

Oh for Christ sake. Seriously, quit whining about that. Bands always get tighter, singers always get in better shape as the tour progresses. No amount of vocal exercises can mimic the rigors of a live show and touring schedule.

Ali

You're as reliable as the sun, Ali. You will always put a positive spin on everything GN'R, even when it's one of the lowest points in their history. Axl sounded better, and was in better shape, to start the 2006 and 2009 tours. So sure bands get better and tighter, but there's no reason you can't come out at a high level. Oh, and the band itself was tight as hell last night. They won't improve much, because there isn't much room for improvement.

I sincerely hope that Axl simply wasn't prepared. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time. The whole post '97 era has been a picture of underachievement because they did not put in the work they needed to. At the end of the day this is what it comes down to. If you want to be at the top of your game, if you want to put out an album with proper artwork and promotion, you roll up your sleeves and ensure things get done. Thousands of artists do it every year. You can't blame legal woes and Irving Azoff and whatever other excuse you wanna reach for. GN'R has dropped the ball too many times to ignore the one constant that matters over the past fifteen years...and going back even further than that.

Hopefully there aren't more serious issues that Axl is dealing with. Hopefully he's healthy and pissed off about last night and hopefully this creates some much needed urgency.

It saddens me deeply that Axl is choosing to age more like Vince Neil than Steven Tyler. At his age you can't keep your body if you don't work at it. Thing is, you can keep it if you work at it. Axl seems to have made his choice though, so not much we can do about it.

Why does this saddens you? I am sure you can find videos and pics of Axl in his 20s to masturbate to.

He could look like Pavarotti for all I care, as long as he can sing. I'd rather he spent his time rehearsing with the band and singing with his coach than running on the threadmill and lifting weights.

As long as he can sing? Isn't it obvious that if you are going to move as much as Axl does you need to be in good physical condition in order to sing well?

Maybe I'm not as dramatic as you? The cancellation of the rest of the 2002 tour was far more dire than this. This was a bad show, not anywhere near the first in GN'R history. Why not waiting to see how the subsequent shows go before waiving the white flag?

Ali

I can forgive almost everything else: being overweight, forgetting lyrics etc, as has been said anyone can have a bad day at the office, but it just seemed like Axl wan't even trying? It also seems he was underprepared.

Having a bad day when you have done the best you can preparation wise and are giving it 100% on the night is forigvable but that half assed performance?

If this had happned on the impending US tour they'd say it was a protest beause he was only touring to satisfy his legal obligations to Azoff.

But as far as I know this was not part of that deal and Axl has said before how much he likes the whole Rock in Rio festival. So if he couldn't raise it for this one day you really gotta wonder about the guys motivation.

No wonder Chi Dem took about 15 years and still sounded half finished when it came out.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish I could "not care" about what happened but it hurt me more than I can explain.

I hate the fact we'll all get old, but I think we can fight it on a day to day basis.

I don't want Axl to get beaten by its age or by the world. In this aspect, this Rio concert really saddened me because I felt Axl was getting beaten and I can't accept that. Axl is a legend to me.

To some of the reactions on this topic, some of you said "it doesn't matter, it's just ONE GIG". I think you're very wrong if you think that. It wasn't "ONE" gig, it was "THE" gig. Months to rest and prepare it. There's no excuse.

If you're gonna put your foot on the biggest rock stage of the world, you got to deserve it and be prepared. I still worship the Axl that used his passion to good service in the 80's, 90's, and to some extents the 00's where I think we got incredible moments, tainted by sadness, trials and other shit. But I don't accept the man who played Rio 2011 as Axl Rose. It wasn't Axl, it was his shadow. I still believe he can reborn from his ashes but it'll take hard work and sacrifices.

As fans of the man, we have to be hard sometimes. I'm sorry but if we're all saying "it was a good show, doesn't matter if he was a bit off", then things will never change. It's also a lack of respect to the beasts that are the members of this line-up. I stay on my position. This Rio show was a complete disaster and it pained me even more watching videos in HD again today. It's just not acceptable for the biggest stage of the world and for the months of preparation Axl had at disposal and the legend that he is.

I'm sure he's sad and probably suffering about it, but I also believe he has something inside that is stronger than all this negativity, I just hope he uses it to step up again some day on the biggest stage of the world, and succeed this time. I'm not writing all of this because I'm happy to bash, it pains me to be negative and bash Axl because I'm a huge huge fan and I respect him like no one else. You got to be hard with the people you love sometimes, otherwise things don't improve.

Edited by D..

To some of the reactions on this topic, some of you said "it doesn't matter, it's just ONE GIG". I think you're very wrong if you think that. It wasn't "ONE" gig, it was "THE" gig. Months to rest and prepare it. There's no excuse.

If you're gonna put your foot on the biggest rock stage of the world, you got to deserve it and be prepared. I still worship the Axl that used his passion to good service in the 80's, 90's, and to some extents the 00's where I think we got incredible moments, tainted by sadness, trials and other shit. But I don't accept the man who played Rio 2011 as Axl Rose. It wasn't Axl, it was his shadow. I still believe he can reborn from his ashes but it'll take hard work and sacrifices.

As fans of the man, we have to be hard sometimes. I'm sorry but if we're all saying "it was a good show, doesn't matter if he was a bit off", then things will never change. It's also a lack of respect to the beasts that are the members of this line-up. I stay on my position. This Rio show was a complete disaster and it pained me even more watching videos in HD again today. It's just not acceptable for the biggest stage of the world and for the months of preparation Axl had at disposal and the legend that he is.

Thats right,it wasnt just another GIG,IT WAS ROCK IN RIO,where was the voice? where was the band? Forgotten lyrics? Falses in the solos and weird sound? Ron Thal seemed like a caveman who came from jungle,Axl with this stupid yellow jacket reminded me tweety the bird :rofl-lol: ,you're gonna play Rock IN RIO and your perfomance look like a small tribute GNR band and ppl looking frozen wondering...

After that i saw Metallica's concert in the same GIG,absolutely was much better from Axl's and co band,especially when they played ORION in the mind of Cliff.

I really wish I could "not care" about what happened but it hurt me more than I can explain.

I hate the fact we'll all get old, but I think we can fight it on a day to day basis.

I don't want Axl to get beaten by its age or by the world. In this aspect, this Rio concert really saddened me because I felt Axl was getting beaten and I can't accept that. Axl is a legend to me.

I'm sure he's sad and probably suffering about it, but I also believe he has something inside that is stronger than all this negativity, I just hope he uses it to step up again some day on the biggest stage of the world, and succeed this time. I'm not writing all of this because I'm happy to bash, it pains me to be negative and bash Axl because I'm a huge huge fan and I respect him like no one else. You got to be hard with the people you love sometimes, otherwise things don't improve.

great post

After that i saw Metallica's concert in the same GIG,absolutely was much better from Axl's and co band,especially when they played ORION in the mind of Cliff.

Like night and day, really. James voice isn't what it used to be either, but at least he sings in key (most of the time).

R.I.P. Guns N' Roses...

Hi,

I've read a lot in different forums about how people are disappointed now, how bad the show, the band and Axl was and so on but I refused to write on my own until now (english is not my first language).

I just want to say "like" to D..'s post - I think you spoke right out of my heart!

It was really hard for me to see the show and the constitution, Axl is in today - it really hurts me big time and I'm honestly worried about his health (the expression in his eyes, his lack of concentration). But I saw him in Arnheim a year ago and I saw a quite healthy nearly 50 year old man, who still has a great stage presence (he got me hooked again) and who sounded definitely better than in 1992 and 1993 when I saw him in Germany.

He still has "it" and I really hope, that this was the alarm signal he needed and not the start of getting back into his "cave on the hills" to lick his wounds.

Axl once was a fighter - he needs to find that spirit again and stop drinking (that is the main problem in my personal opinion) and than I'm sure, he will convince the haters during the upcoming tour.

If it's not the booze or other drugs but health problems - he just should give us a hint - we would understand things better (I know he would never say a word about this but imo that would be a good decision to make).

Axl is a LEGEND - this can't be the way, he wants to say goodbye to Rock in Rio! Start fighting!!!

I'd like to see James, Jon or whoever pull off GNRs set. Do any of them have any range close to Axls. nothing against those guys but you know what I'm saying?

I'd like to see Axl pull off GNRs set...

I'd like to see GnR pull off "Axl's" set...

He could have worked out and practiced his singing at least a month before the show. He says: "I'm not working for you". Oh yeah? Then who fkn pays for your house on the hills and your sports cars??!! It's the fans Axl!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not just about money. It's a factor, but not the main one. That whole "I'm not working for you" is mostly about pleasing yourself as an artist.

You don't scrap arena tours if you're all about money.

He knows he's responsible and accountable for anything GNR does live and in the studio. Goes with the territory of owning the name of the band.

I'd like to see James, Jon or whoever pull off GNRs set. Do any of them have any range close to Axls. nothing against those guys but you know what I'm saying?

I'd like to see Axl pull off GNRs set...

I hope you never do.

It didn't hurt me. show some loyalty! Shit happens remember, when you're at the bottom and on top. being a critic is not being a fan. in my opinion which is always right.

I'm not a critic, just someone who expresses his feelings.

I think the problem I have is that I wish Axl was stronger than me. Why do we become "fans" of somebody at some point? Because we relate to this person a lot. I'm not american, I'm not 49, I'm not a singer, I don't have ginger hair, in fact I have very few common points with Axl (see the photo haha) but I feel that I have the same ambition and hunger that he once had for his work and I'm sure always has inside of him that I apply to my work. Sure I spend way too much time on these boards but it's because of someone I estimate more than anyone and that is uplifting.

Maybe it's a bad thing to be a "fan", maybe it's a waste of time, but I estimate that if I don't write what I'm feeling, then it's even more useless that I care so much about this. I wrote this thread and my messages with the conscious that they could be read by Axl, I could have been meaner but I think there's a limit between personal desperation towards the show and respect toward my idol.

If you look back at my posts history, I have only written very good things about shows last year because I really thought it was amazing, I wrote the truth of my mind. I'm also writing truly what I'm feeling right now. It's not a question of loyalty but being sincere and making someone react.

I will come more rarely in the future, I definitely must use all my time for my projects now, but there's one person on earth that can make this world acceptable for me and it's Axl. That's why I don't accept him giving up like this. He's not a god to me but he's one of the rare guys that has fought all of his life against the conventions, the rage that was in his voice was here to say "leave me be, I don't need you to tell me how to live my life", I don't want the worldwide public or myself to see him losing it live because he let go, if he ends his career, I'd like it to be a final explosion with all of what he has to say, but please, no more huge shows like this. Ever.

Philadelphia has Rocky Balboa. The universe has Superman. The rock music has Axl Rose.

Edited by D..

Having read some of the comments I expected a 2001 Rio, but so far (got as far as DJ solo spot) this is a decent show, I think alot of people are being melodramatic.

I was blwon away with DJ's new solo! He also kicked serious ass on Estranged.

It's not the worst GNR show ever. That would be back in the 90's.

Seen old GNR and new GNR(5 times). How can you say the 90's was worst then this? I admire your loyality but come on wake up.

Having read some of the comments I expected a 2001 Rio, but so far (got as far as DJ solo spot) this is a decent show, I think alot of people are being melodramatic.

Indeed. There is a lot of pissed off fans who expected RIR to be fantastic, with an Axl looking like he did in 1991, singing like he did in 1987 (or even late 2010), presenting new songs, saying they are going to release a new record soon, etc. And what did they get? An Axl having a bad day at work with no new songs or promises for the future. So they get pissed off and exaggerate a lot. They are disappointed, but mostly with the missed opportunity and their own ungrounded expectations.

Not trying to say that Axl shouldn't have performed better, we all agree on that one, just that the reactions here are way off :).

I think the problem I have is that I wish Axl was stronger than me. Why do we become "fans" of somebody at some point? Because we relate to this person a lot. I'm not american, I'm not 49, I'm not a singer, I don't have ginger hair, in fact I have very few common points with Axl (see the photo haha) but I feel that I have the same ambition and hunger that he once had for his work and I'm sure always has inside of him that I apply to my work. Sure I spend way too much time on these boards but it's because of someone I estimate more than anyone and that is uplifting.

I find it hard to think that people can idolize Axl. Hasn't he himself expressed disgust with that whole idea? Sure, he is a great vocalist, a genius at composing music and a legendary frontman, but he has also presented himself as a misogynistic, homophobic asshole.

I am a fan of the music. Period. If you want to insist on being a fan of Axl Rose then good luck!