Estranged, thoughts.....

bloodyhell1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

considering its been 18 year since played i thought his style was very close to back then. what people have to realise is that axl will never sound like he did back then, some people are just up with the faries ( not you D..) but some people have this crazy notion that 1991 will happen once more.

It sounded great...I was in the bathroom, fixing my hair, ready to go to work and had the stream open in my living room, when I heard the first notes of it. I was like "cool, Estranged". It took me a few seconds, and I realized that I wasn't listening to the cd or a playlist. Ran to the living room and watched it with my jaw on the floor. :D

considering its been 18 year since played i thought his style was very close to back then. what people have to realise is that axl will never sound like he did back then, some people are just up with the faries ( not you D..) but some people have this crazy notion that 1991 will happen once more.

His voice last year was really close to the 90's though, take the "l'arc" performance in Paris last year, I was there and he was completely magic and outstanding. Of course he had been on the road for a while so he had time to train but the problem with Axl is that he thinks some gigs are "rehearsals". It's really not how it should be done, especially when opening a new tour with such a big gig that is RIR... :(

I would like to say though that even with Rio being a catastrophee to me, Estranged was definitely the highlight of the show, Axl didn't forget the lyrics so he practiced this one a bit at least.

Edited by D..

Yeah but had he trained during last year, he would at least have sounded like in 2010 : pretty good.

He clearly didn't sing in 2011 or if he did then I don't know what the fuck happened because his voice was awful during the show.

I'm as disappointed as you are. I made people come to GNR show in paris last year telling them it would be awesome as I had seen em in Norway. I argued with everyone telling me this band was "Axl & friends", "garbage" or anything else. They were top notch last year. They should really made some dvd/blu-ray with Tokyo 2009 or Edmington 2010.

But tonight was the most disappointing GNR gig I ever experienced. Axl is really to blame on this one and he knows it.

I'm as disappointed as you are. I made people come to GNR show in paris last year telling them it would be awesome as I had seen em in Norway. I argued with everyone telling me this band was "Axl & friends", "garbage" or anything else. They were top notch last year. They should really made some dvd/blu-ray with Tokyo 2009 or Edmington 2010.

But tonight was the most disappointing GNR gig I ever experienced. Axl is really to blame on this one and he knows it.

What strikes me as odd is that you seem to be really happy about GN'R in 2010 and then you go all whiny just because of one bad day on the job? Cheer up.

What strikes me as odd is that you seem to be really happy about GN'R in 2010 and then you go all whiny just because of one bad day on the job? Cheer up.

Part of why I enjoyed the shows so much in 2010 is that Axl's vocals were better than 2001,2002 and 2006 imo and considering all the shit that happened around the release of CD, I thought he had managed the thing pretty well.

However, I expected more than the regular 2010 typical show for RIR IV. Instead we got less, not from the band, but from Axl. This is not acceptable, it really shows a lot of problems that this band has encountered in the past.

However, I expected more than the regular 2010 typical show for RIR IV.

Why did you expect more? Have you not realized that the only way to be a content GN'R fan is to not have expectations?

Instead we got less, not from the band, but from Axl. This is not acceptable,

Yes, Axl wasn't good, but everyone can have a bad day at work. I don't understand why that is so depressing. If this repeats itself for every show on this tour, THEN it is bad. If you are a fan then you should know that Axl is not good at starts of tours, so I don't really understand why you are making so much of a fuss.

it really shows a lot of problems that this band has encountered in the past.

What?

It shows the inconsistency of Axl, the fact he doesn't rehearse enough with the band or before huge events like this and this is completely unacceptable. They are headliners of one of the biggest rock events on the planet and the lead singer doesn't master his songs. This is completely fucked up. Just because you're used to it don't make it right.

It's depressing because Axl is getting old and we're not going to see much huge and great performances again I'm afraid. Also, the fact that Chinese Democracy came out only 3 years ago and seeing that Axl doesn't back it up more live with songs from this album makes me think he doesn't like it so much and it's disappointing because I love this album.

It shows the inconsistency of Axl, the fact he doesn't rehearse enough with the band or before huge events like this and this is completely unacceptable.

I would go so far to call it extremely unprofessional, but "unacceptable"? I accepted the fact that Axl is unprofessional years ago, when are you going to accept it? And if you can't accept it, what are you going to do about it? ;)

They are headliners of one of the biggest rock events on the planet and the lead singer doesn't master his songs. This is completely fucked up. Just because you're used to it don't make it right.

Oh, he forgot more of his lyrics this time than what I am used to. I am certain he kicks himself for that. He seemed truly bummed about it when it happened. Nothing we can do about it.

It's depressing because Axl is getting old and we're not going to see much huge and great performances again I'm afraid.

RIR is just another gig to me. There will be plenty more this year. I can't really get bothered by one bad day at work.

Also, the fact that Chinese Democracy came out only 3 years ago and seeing that Axl doesn't back it up more live with songs from this album makes me think he doesn't like it so much and it's disappointing because I love this album.

It's mediocre. I applaud him for trying to select the best songs from his catalogue and not too many off CD.

Estranged will never be as good live as the record. Period. It's just one of those tracks, like Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone (a fitting comparison, given the reference in Estranged). The studio cut is perfect. Not that live performances can't be amazing, they just can't be as good. To say this is the best Estranged has ever sounded is silly.

That being said, this was as good as the music for a live cut can get, and the guys not only did it justice but made it their own. Sounded like a perfect NuGuns live performance. Good on Bumble for not going crazy on the shredding (or yelling FUCK ESTRANGED! over the solo), and that was EXACTLY what I would want Deej's axe to sound like. A perfect arrangement. The vocals were not what I would hope, but it was easily Uncle Axl's best song vocally of the night - just the way I'd have it!

ok enough with the negativity. not up to scratch blah blah ok first show. Estranged a song most people here have been dying to hear, personaly i was blown away, has never sounded better,

did it live up to your expectations?

I loved it!!!