Why does he bother?

Snowmass

Seriously- being a huge Axl Rose fan this is painful to read about (Rio) and watch the clips I've seen of last night. I'm not sure why he even bothers with any of it? He was once probably one of the greatest singers/frontmen/rock "stars' around. He went into hiatus for 7+years (total waste of his prime years) and has been popping up every now & then with tours/shows and the ill fated CD release (probably would have been a huge success had he released it earlier and promoted properly...it is really good). He seems to hate it all, maybe woulda been better off staying away? He hates media (interviews, promotion, hates his old band mates, who knows his relationship with current employees (it's obvious that's all they are), doesn't prepare/rehearse properly, looks like shit, shows up (by all accounts) shortly before showtime, has meltdowns, forgets lyrics, fucks up piano, treats fans like shit (always late). Does he have any fun? Dude needs a look in mirror and decide to either fade back away or get it to-fucking-gether. If it's all so miserable for him then he should just go away...I prefer to remember the AFD/UYI Axl over this current version. WTF, his meds are all jacked up or something? Someone needs to kick his ass! He has so many 'yes people' surrounding him he probably think she's still the greatest thing going. Last year it looked as if he were on the right track, but after last night.....JFC. I have no idea why he plays...I'ts obvious he is not into it. He needs to sit down, watch some old clips and watch current clips, he'd probably vomit. Axl- get it together (have fun, kick ass, you are a ROCK STAR) or please just fade away, leave us with memories of the 1985-1993 days. You don't have to play, noone is forcing you to do this.

I don't know doubt that it is about money, if that was a case he would sign reunion tour , show up for 20 dates and end up with huge cheque, much more than he earns form touring now.

1985-1993 is just harsh, 2006 tour was awesome, he sounded great and the band was awesome ( with Robin Finck with Jesus look, Brian) Rock Am Ring show is one of my favorites, he looked great ( dreadlocks with black shirt looked great) was slimmer and sounded great. But know he looks bad, sound worse etc why he tours ? I don't know without new release it is bold move.

Of course there is possibility that he had really bad day and later dates would be much better.

Seriously- being a huge Axl Rose fan this is painful to read about (Rio) and watch the clips I've seen of last night. I'm not sure why he even bothers with any of it? He was once probably one of the greatest singers/frontmen/rock "stars' around. He went into hiatus for 7+years (total waste of his prime years) and has been popping up every now & then with tours/shows and the ill fated CD release (probably would have been a huge success had he released it earlier and promoted properly...it is really good). He seems to hate it all, maybe woulda been better off staying away? He hates media (interviews, promotion, hates his old band mates, who knows his relationship with current employees (it's obvious that's all they are), doesn't prepare/rehearse properly, looks like shit, shows up (by all accounts) shortly before showtime, has meltdowns, forgets lyrics, fucks up piano, treats fans like shit (always late). Does he have any fun? Dude needs a look in mirror and decide to either fade back away or get it to-fucking-gether. If it's all so miserable for him then he should just go away...I prefer to remember the AFD/UYI Axl over this current version. WTF, his meds are all jacked up or something? Someone needs to kick his ass! He has so many 'yes people' surrounding him he probably think she's still the greatest thing going. Last year it looked as if he were on the right track, but after last night.....JFC. I have no idea why he plays...I'ts obvious he is not into it. He needs to sit down, watch some old clips and watch current clips, he'd probably vomit. Axl- get it together (have fun, kick ass, you are a ROCK STAR) or please just fade away, leave us with memories of the 1985-1993 days. You don't have to play, noone is forcing you to do this.

You do bring up some very very good points. Look at James Hetfield from Metallica having a ball performing. Axl looked dead whilst singing the latter half of the show(Patience.... lol). He was happier in fucken 2006/2007 and he wasn't a ball of fire back then either.

You do bring up some very very good points. Look at James Hetfield from Metallica having a ball performing. Axl looked dead whilst singing the latter half of the show(Patience.... lol). He was happier in fucken 2006/2007 and he wasn't a ball of fire back then either.

Hetfield genuinely loves it, as do the rest of the band. They also fucking killed the setlist...incredible performance.

Axl Rose, the guy that instead of fading away in '93 simply disappeared while red hot, is re-writing his own history by hanging on and fading fast.

He's quickly becoming a joke.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Axl looked dead whilst singing the latter half of the show(Patience.... lol).

No singer is subject to greater scrutiny, particularly from his own so called “fanbase”. His physicality, face, facial hair, dressage, vocals, moves etc. are all extensively analysed. Never is there any unanimity whereby everybody agrees “Axl done a good job”.

Axl was never more aware of this reality than last night. He was resigned to the backlash and fact he couldn’t invigorate the performance with stronger vocals given the conditions and his general lack of preparation.

It was a sad sight, particularly as Axl was on fire throughout 2010; justice pointed to the possibility of Axl shining on a platform to the world third time lucky. He was exposed to people beyond his comfort zone (and shied from it as a result of various preventative factors… some of which Axl himself was responsible for).

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Axl looked dead whilst singing the latter half of the show(Patience.... lol).

No singer is subject to greater scrutiny, particularly from his own so called “fanbase”. His physicality, face, facial hair, dressage, vocals, moves etc. are all extensively analysed. Never is there any unanimity whereby everybody agrees “Axl done a good job”.

Axl was never more aware of this reality than last night. He was resigned to the backlash and fact he couldn’t invigorate the performance with stronger vocals given the conditions and his general lack of preparation.

It was a sad sight, particularly as Axl was on fire throughout 2010; justice pointed to the possibility of Axl shining on a platform to the world third time lucky. He was exposed to people beyond his comfort zone (and shied from it as a result of various preventative factors… some of which Axl himself was responsible for).

But what came first, Axl's lack of preparation, or the fans backlash to Axl's performance? If it took him this long to realize he was going to be under the microscope then he should have either turned down the gig or trained more(or just trained).

Hetfield genuinely loves it, as do the rest of the band. They also fucking killed the setlist...incredible performance.

Axl Rose, the guy that instead of fading away in '93 simply disappeared while red hot, is re-writing his own history by hanging on and fading fast.

He's quickly becoming a joke.

With fans like this, I can see why he doesn't interact more with said "fans."

Outside of the hardcore fans, Axl Rose is a joke at this point. So is Guns N Roses.

Many of the fans on this board are a lot younger and really didn't live through the big years. Guns N Roses were the biggest band in the world when they emerged in 1988. They took a crappy, tired music scene and flipped it on it's head and kicked ass. In 1991 the anticipation of the "Use Your Illusions" was bigger than any albums I can remember before or since. Tons of record stores had midnight openings and I was at one where there was a line around the corner and they sold out. I bought 4 copies of each of the Illusions for my friends. There is nothing even like that today.

Fast forward to now. Axl looks like a fat, tired old man up there. He is out of breath. His lineup is a bunch of hired guns that the general public doesn't recognize who had nothing to do with most of the songs that are being played. Slash did the SCOM solo. Slash played the guitar on Estranged. The original lineup went through the lifestyle that is reflected in songs like "It's So Easy" and "Nighttrain." In the opinion of the general public Guns N Roses was Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Adler/Sorum. Now it is Axl, some guy with a top hat who seems like he's trying to be like Slash and a group of other hired musicians. I don't think the general public thinks this version of GNR is legitimate. And I think they have a good point.

Axl insisted he had to have the name of Guns N Roses. With that name he has produced 1 album of new material in 20 years. Let's put that in perspective. TWENTY YEARS-1 ALBUM OF NEW MATERIAL.

His supposed "comeback" in 2002 on MTV was an out of breath Axl singing a medley of old songs with new musicians. All non-hardcore fans thought he looked and sounded terrible. Of course there was no follow up; no album to speak of yet again and a tour that was aborted due to the lead singer once again not showing up.

When the album was released, 6 years after the tour, it only had one original member (Axl) and had a bicycle on the cover leaning against a wall that looked like somebody spent 10 minutes on it in Photoshop. There were no music videos and little promotion. Radio stations barely played any of the songs. There was no supporting tour at the time of the release.

In the meantime, Axl hasn't exactly built a lot of goodwill with his fans. Anyone who has ever attended a show has experienced Axl going on at least 2 hours late. I had him simply not show when I went to see him in Philly and there was a riot. I also had a show cancelled in Albany with the original lineup because Axl was sick. Of the 4 shows I had tickets to, he cancelled one and no-showed another. The other two he was 3 hours late each.

He does no interviews, gives no timelines on dates and is actually dishonest with fans. For example, he promised a video would be coming for "Better." It never came, and he never gave an explanation. I don't really care that much, but clearly his word is pretty meaningless.

Axl is the first to criticize everyone around him. He's fired at least four managers. The entire original lineup is gone because they could not deal with him. His two biggest name replacements, Robin Finck and Buckethead, also left because they couldn't deal with Axl. He has literally held people's careers hostage while he is spending time either doing nothing or obsessively tinkering with musin

However, it doesn't appear he is that cirtical of himself, as he doesn't appear to have a strong work ethic. He doesn't rehearse with his bandmates. He is out of shape. He forgets words. He shows up late.

Do you think Axl would be tolerant of these qualities in someone else? Hell no he wouldn't. But he is allowed to do all of those things and God help you if you are critical of him.

The whole thing seems like a sad, depressing waste of a great band. But it's pretty obvious to anyone who is reasonable that Axl Rose is the root cause of the current perception of Guns N Roses.

I personally like the album, but can you see why fans don't take him seriously?

Yes, the show was pretty bad, but Axl really has nothing to prove when you think of his glorious merits, he was once the greatest rock star around and I still think he is, he has milllioins of dollars, has been with fine women, and had the greatest band that got to travel all around the world, he really has nothing to prove because he as had everything is heart desired, just because the show was a disasterpeice, does not mean we should put him under the bus, he is a living legend, and let us celebrate him living, instead of crying about it when he is no longer with us.

Outside of the hardcore fans, Axl Rose is a joke at this point. So is Guns N Roses.

Many of the fans on this board are a lot younger and really didn't live through the big years. Guns N Roses were the biggest band in the world when they emerged in 1988. They took a crappy, tired music scene and flipped it on it's head and kicked ass. In 1991 the anticipation of the "Use Your Illusions" was bigger than any albums I can remember before or since. Tons of record stores had midnight openings and I was at one where there was a line around the corner and they sold out. I bought 4 copies of each of the Illusions for my friends. There is nothing even like that today.

Fast forward to now. Axl looks like a fat, tired old man up there. He is out of breath. His lineup is a bunch of hired guns that the general public doesn't recognize who had nothing to do with most of the songs that are being played. Slash did the SCOM solo. Slash played the guitar on Estranged. The original lineup went through the lifestyle that is reflected in songs like "It's So Easy" and "Nighttrain." In the opinion of the general public Guns N Roses was Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Adler/Sorum. Now it is Axl, some guy with a top hat who seems like he's trying to be like Slash and a group of other hired musicians. I don't think the general public thinks this version of GNR is legitimate. And I think they have a good point.

Axl insisted he had to have the name of Guns N Roses. With that name he has produced 1 album of new material in 20 years. Let's put that in perspective. TWENTY YEARS-1 ALBUM OF NEW MATERIAL.

His supposed "comeback" in 2002 on MTV was an out of breath Axl singing a medley of old songs with new musicians. All non-hardcore fans thought he looked and sounded terrible. Of course there was no follow up; no album to speak of yet again and a tour that was aborted due to the lead singer once again not showing up.

When the album was released, 6 years after the tour, it only had one original member (Axl) and had a bicycle on the cover leaning against a wall that looked like somebody spent 10 minutes on it in Photoshop. There were no music videos and little promotion. Radio stations barely played any of the songs. There was no supporting tour at the time of the release.

In the meantime, Axl hasn't exactly built a lot of goodwill with his fans. Anyone who has ever attended a show has experienced Axl going on at least 2 hours late. I had him simply not show when I went to see him in Philly and there was a riot. I also had a show cancelled in Albany with the original lineup because Axl was sick. Of the 4 shows I had tickets to, he cancelled one and no-showed another. The other two he was 3 hours late each.

He does no interviews, gives no timelines on dates and is actually dishonest with fans. For example, he promised a video would be coming for "Better." It never came, and he never gave an explanation. I don't really care that much, but clearly his word is pretty meaningless.

Axl is the first to criticize everyone around him. He's fired at least four managers. The entire original lineup is gone because they could not deal with him. His two biggest name replacements, Robin Finck and Buckethead, also left because they couldn't deal with Axl. He has literally held people's careers hostage while he is spending time either doing nothing or obsessively tinkering with musin

However, it doesn't appear he is that cirtical of himself, as he doesn't appear to have a strong work ethic. He doesn't rehearse with his bandmates. He is out of shape. He forgets words. He shows up late.

Do you think Axl would be tolerant of these qualities in someone else? Hell no he wouldn't. But he is allowed to do all of those things and God help you if you are critical of him.

The whole thing seems like a sad, depressing waste of a great band. But it's pretty obvious to anyone who is reasonable that Axl Rose is the root cause of the current perception of Guns N Roses.

I personally like the album, but can you see why fans don't take him seriously?

This is the most honest thread I have read in a long time. The way you described it is way non-brainwashed, "normal" fans outside of this forum look at it. Thank you! rock3

Axl did fine. He and the band sounded great. Jungle sounded like VMA Jungle but his voice picked up and the rest of the night was amazing.

With the highlights like NR and Patience! Voice alone was closer to 2002 then 2006/2010 aswell. And it's far away from being amazing.

Axl did fine. He and the band sounded great. Jungle sounded like VMA Jungle but his voice picked up and the rest of the night was amazing.

"Axl did fine"? Come again! He sounded like crap, the band (and I'm NOT a new GnR fan) sounded pretty decent, like they actually cared & rehearsed...because god help them if they fuck up the way Axl does/did. He was in trouble and it's obvious he needs his meds adjusted big time.

GUNS N' ROSES headlined the closing night of the Rock In Rio festival last night (Sunday, October 2) in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. The band hit the stage at about 2:45 a.m. local time in the pouring rain and kicked off the show with "Chinese Democracy" before singer Axl Rose addressed the crowd. "Good evening… good morning," the singer said. "Please bear with us and give us a little second here to figure out what to do about not falling on our asses. I'm gonna try to focus on singing rather than running around like an idiot. I'm better at being an idiot. We want everybody to be careful."

Did he focus on singing?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164080

It's so sad to see him struggling to sings his own songs and the way he was gasping for air.

He looked old and tired. Like one of those circus horses you just want take out of the ring.

For about the first time ever, he seemed to have less charisma and stage presence to me. At times he seemed tired, dazed, confused, sad, pissed etc. An awful disappointment.

I honestly think the last time Axl cared was around 2006..He came to Hammerstein in shape, voice pretty tight, and with the rockstar look..Everything since has been rough..Sure, his voice sounded great by the end of 2010, but he had obviously let himself go..Now he just seems like a parody of his old self..almost cartoonish..and this is coming from one of the biggest "Axl guys" on the boards..It's just sad..

I honestly think the last time Axl cared was around 2006..He came to Hammerstein in shape, voice pretty tight, and with the rockstar look..Everything since has been rough..Sure, his voice sounded great by the end of 2010, but he had obviously let himself go..Now he just seems like a parody of his old self..almost cartoonish..and this is coming from one of the biggest "Axl guys" on the boards..It's just sad..

Dude i just watched You could be mine, about 20secs, and axl looks like he is about to fall over from not being able to breathe, i am a diehard axl fan, and i dont even want to watch this show now. I seen some of Sorry, and its just not good. I hope he can pull his voice together for the US shows.

It's all fucked up now...the whole situation. He's not even remotely 'cool' anymore. Even me/us (the Axl Rose/original GnR fans) are ripping him. He's a joke, the musicians he's hired are fine performers, but they ain't GnR. It's a fucking shame what he's done to not only himself, but the GnR legacy may now be forever fucked. I wish Axl circa 1991 could have had a crystal ball and seen this shit now, I still say he'd shit himself....Axl 1991 would be truly embarrassed.