Axl Rose Hires Famous Brazilian Personal Trainer

Cosmo

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Dazey, but I think lately he has been getting fitter, might be too early to tell and I haven't been at the shows, but from the little I've see he's giving a much more energetic and more consistent performance.

The way I see it, the problems Axl has with his voice is for the most part not related to his physical state, but to technical difficulties related to damaged vocal chords and changed in his voice that won't allow his smooth transitions across registers and between different voices, causing a much more rough singing style with abrupt transitions, and a general lack of width in the upper registers leading to a thin voice. It is a consequence of getting older and having damaged the voice earlier, NOT being of average weight.

I agree with Dazey, but I think lately he has been getting fitter, might be too early to tell and I haven't been at the shows, but from the little I've see he's giving a much more energetic and more consistent performance.

The thing is that he isn't a normal 50 year old man. He's got all the money in the world to help him get back into shape if he only wanted to. I mean seriously he could take a month off touring which isn't that uncommon, employ a chef, a voice coach and a personal trainer and it's job done. Fuck me he could take all of them on tour with him quite easily. :shrugs:

I wouldn't be surprised if he does work out with a trainer or machines but I think late nights and alcohol are currently winning out. He seems to have phases in his life (as many people do) it's entirely possible that he could resurface in a year with a whole new look and be buffed up. With his resources it wouldn't take much if he is inclined.

The way I see it, the problems Axl has with his voice is for the most part not related to his physical state, but to technical difficulties related to damaged vocal chords and changed in his voice that won't allow his smooth transitions across registers and between different voices, causing a much more rough singing style with abrupt transitions, and a general lack of width in the upper registers leading to a thin voice. It is a consequence of getting older and having damaged the voice earlier, NOT being of average weight.

2010 was only 3 years ago, so not much weight can be held to "getting older".

You're also forgetting the fact that he's clearly out of breath sometimes, all that is due to not keeping in shape.

Take Steven Tyler for example, done mountains of cocaine in his life time which was certain to destroy his voice, yet he still practises even when not on tour and remains in formidable shape. Same can be said for Mick Jagger.

The thing about Axl is, he just doesn't care. Like the late starts of his shows, he just can't bring it up to do certain things.

It's also been said that Axl's changed, he's not as tempered anymore and is more outgoing. Also he has put on weight. Now, I'm not stating this as fact, but I think he might have chosen to take an SSRI.

It is puzzling how quickly his voice changes from year to year, That being said, I believe people on this forum is exaggerating the differences between various years. In addition, these changes aren't satisfactorily explained by fitness either, because it doesn't seem like his fitness has changed much in recent years.

As I stated earlier, his main problem is not running out of breath, which happens rarely, but technical problems making it hard for his to sing as he used to do, e.g being able to sing with power and width in the upper registers and being able to get smooth transitions between registers.

When I said that I believe his voice has been damaged, I wasn't referring to drug use, but to Axl's horrible way of singing in the 90s which blew his voice out repeatedly. This is abound to have affected his vocal chords permanently.

As for Axl not caring. I think that is pure conjecture. You use the late concert starts as an example for him not caring, not knowing that the band has started more or less on time throughout 2013 and disregarding the fact that Axl was later in the 90s when he obviously DID care.

But not all SSRI medication puts weight on. The one I am currently on doesn't. But it could also be people's bodies react differently to them also.

I do know when I took lexapro I weighed more. But I was also taking a drug for cancer treatment at the time,that I feel was the reason behind the excess weight for myself that is.Im in no way implying that Axl is taking anything for cancer treatment. When I stopped all the cancer drugs,I slimmed down some. But also slimmed down a little more when they changed me from lexapro to Zoloft.

During chemo treatments I had to take steroids which started the weight gain.

Currently I'm on celexa and seem to be even a little bit more slimmer.

Steven Tyler also blew his chords out about 5 or 6 yrs ago(I'm guessing here). To the point that his chords were actually bleeding I think. And he had to do the laser surgery to remove scar tissue.

Ok just re-watched this myself. It wasn't scar tissue but damaged blood vessels.

Edited by SweetRose

It is puzzling how quickly his voice changes from year to year, That being said, I believe people on this forum is exaggerating the differences between various years. In addition, these changes aren't satisfactorily explained by fitness either, because it doesn't seem like his fitness has changed much in recent years.

As I stated earlier, his main problem is not running out of breath, which happens rarely, but technical problems making it hard for his to sing as he used to do, e.g being able to sing with power and width in the upper registers and being able to get smooth transitions between registers.

When I said that I believe his voice has been damaged, I wasn't referring to drug use, but to Axl's horrible way of singing in the 90s which blew his voice out repeatedly. This is abound to have affected his vocal chords permanently.

As for Axl not caring. I think that is pure conjecture. You use the late concert starts as an example for him not caring, not knowing that the band has started more or less on time throughout 2013 and disregarding the fact that Axl was later in the 90s when he obviously DID care.

The late concerts back in the day led to him pushing himself harder at the show. He talked about this weird mindset about having to make it up to the audience.

I think Chinese Democracy has become his "warmup song" for the night, I think Night Train would've been another good one to start the concert with. Something like Perfect Crime or WTTJ seems like it's just an assault on the vocal cords right off the bat.

But when Rock in Rio, Sturgis, and a couple of festivals that he ran late on, the emperor had no clothes and people were leaving the show.

Tyler's been known to use effects on his voice during the show, and some people had caught him lip syncing lines in songs. It's prob. 85 percent him, 15 percent Memorex, but I'm saying that based on hearsay. No one's disagreed with me though. When I saw them I heard the backing vocals being piped in for Love in an Elevator and the other "pop" songs, but I couldn't tell if he lip synced any of it. These are songs he's done thousands of times and doesn't really change the songs up, so he'd easily pull it off if he was.

I think when they're committed to doing long tours and they have issues with their voices, the tapes are like a backup generator. Cancelling a show is not an option if they can sing part of the show, but their voice has to be completely shot to pull the plug on the show.

I do think the audience has the right to know when tapes are being used, for the money they pay. Roger Waters was busted (the tapes were a backup plan, he was sick as a dog), and that's why prior to the Wall tour, he was taking voice lessons and making sure that wouldn't happen again.

I also think Axl has taken steroids for his voice, and it's possible the puffy face is from the meds and not all night boozing and eating a lot of pasta dinners. He'd prob. own up to it because opera singers do it and there's no shame in admitting it. But lip syncing and not telling the audience is unacceptable.

Don't forget, he has issues with his leg. He's been walking around with a cane for a while and has years of slamming his knees into stages. Prob needs surgery and keeps putting it off.

Edited by dalsh327

Yes. Opera singers are fat. Therefore axls weight and health can not affect his singing. Nice reasoning.

That wasn't the argument. The argument was, being fat doesn't mean you are a bad singer. People seem to jump to the conclusion that since Axl doesn't look like he did in the 90s and since his voice has deteriorated, these things must be connected.

Someone who does 3 H rock n roll show, cannot be in bad shape. I`m 31, out of shape....I could do 15 minutes max. He does look like out of shape though, weird.

sure the show is 3 hours long, but how long does axl actually sing? 1,5 hours?

Axl was always a guy who had unbelievable stamina and breathing control. Now that he's older and much more out of shape he can still deliver a great well above the average (for his age) stage performance. Could be even better? Sure, but I gotta give him the props for what he's still capable of doing these days...

Edited by trqster

Someone who does 3 H rock n roll show, cannot be in bad shape. I`m 31, out of shape....I could do 15 minutes max. He does look like out of shape though, weird.

It is quite possible to balance the eating/excesses and still do plenty of cardiovascular exercise causing you to not look extremely fit yet have great stamina. Perhaps that is the answer?

I have been to several Aerosmith shows, unless it has been after the last one that I attended ,around 2006. Steven Tyler did not lip sync. And yes,I was close enough to the stage that I would've have noticed.

Yes,there are backing vocals,Axl uses them too. You gave Love In An Elevator as an example. One reason there's backing vocals there,is the chorus. The rest of the band doesn't always sing along with him during the chorus,like they did when they recorded it. So if there wasn't backing vocals,it would sound too flat when he is singing the chorus.

Aerosmith also has a backing vocalist,Russ Irwin.

I have also been at Aero shows and Steven have a bobble with his vocals,and I've thought whoops. But compared to Axl, that might be about 3 or 4 shows out of 10.

Edited by SweetRose

Don't forget, he has issues with his leg. He's been walking around with a cane for a while and has years of slamming his knees into stages. Prob needs surgery and keeps putting it off.

I don't think the performances of the 90's have anything to do with what's going on now

I wonder how long that personal trainer trained Axl for... a few months top? It clearly didn't last long.

Not long enough. It's really like Axl just doesn't care. I wonder if he has injuries or bad knees that keep him from working out.

I wonder how long that personal trainer trained Axl for... a few months top? It clearly didn't last long.

Not long enough. It's really like Axl just doesn't care. I wonder if he has injuries or bad knees that keep him from working out.

I don't believe so, he does run around on stage a few times, jumps, etc... I believe it's just laziness.